Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Carriers at War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> Carriers at War Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carriers at War - 11/7/2006 12:33:33 AM   
Ken7

Anyone waiting for this game as much as I am??? I want it like yesterday. Now do we bring up the bombers and load em on deck or do we bring up the fighters and reload them?? Whatcha think Fuchida??
Post #: 1
RE: Carriers at War - 11/7/2006 1:52:00 AM   
invernomuto

I am waiting for this release from Matrix. It could be really a good game. 

(in reply to Ken7)
Post #: 2
RE: Carriers at War - 11/7/2006 10:25:39 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ken7

Anyone waiting for this game as much as I am??? I want it like yesterday. Now do we bring up the bombers and load em on deck or do we bring up the fighters and reload them?? Whatcha think Fuchida??

I for one am ready for the wait, even long, especially if SSG decides to improve the game, for example in the way CV groups behave after having launched a strike.

(in reply to Ken7)
Post #: 3
RE: Carriers at War - 11/7/2006 8:11:40 PM   
EricRJones

I'm so excited for this game. I own every edition of the original, including the Commodore 64 version. I think I memorized the liner notes for the C64. I remember the discussion in the notes of how constraining working with 64K was whenever I worry that the newest games won't run on my current machine with 1.5GB!

I spent hours researching and designing a scenario for the old CAW involving an attack on the Panama Canal locks. It was based on the battle described in David Downing's The Moscow Option (see http://www.amazon.com/Moscow-Option-David-Downing/dp/185367463X). Among other things, I got to use the USS Ranger graphic! Since land structures were pretty abstracted (I'm not sure you could get VP for damaging them), I created the Panama Canal locks as carriers that couldn't move. It actually worked OK. Any hope that I won't have the use that work around in the new version?

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 4
RE: Carriers at War - 11/8/2006 3:51:09 AM   
Jorm

[/quote]
I for one am ready for the wait, even long, especially if SSG decides to improve the game, for example in the way CV groups behave after having launched a strike.
[/quote]

What would you have done differently ?
I saw some discussion about people wanting the task force to move to a new "recovery" location.
Im intereted to know how it was done in WWII. Ive not been able to find any information on it at all. I dont think modern carrier operations can be used as an example as navigation aides are vastly superior today as compared to 1940's.
If any one can direct me to some info on it i would love to have a look

thanks
Paul

< Message edited by Jorm -- 11/8/2006 4:03:58 AM >

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 5
RE: Carriers at War - 11/8/2006 6:17:03 AM   
David Sandberg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorm
quote:

I saw some discussion about people wanting the task force to move to a new "recovery" location.
Im intereted to know how it was done in WWII. Ive not been able to find any information on it at all. I dont think modern carrier operations can be used as an example as navigation aides are vastly superior today as compared to 1940's.

I decided to take a look at what literature I have on hand to see if I could glean some clues about WWII carrier ops in this regard. I've found several vague references to carrier task forces being expected to continue on a set course while their aircraft are off on strikes (in particular, Nagumo's First Air Fleet maintaining a course while his Midway strikes were underway, as described in Gordon W. Prange's "Miracle at Midway"). However, I did find one explicit and authoritative reference:

"There is also the classical naval requirement that returning aircraft have a sufficient fuel margin to find their carrier. Although pilots are always given an expected carrier position, there must always be a considerable allowance for error: the aircraft may return early or late, the carrier may have to maneuver unexpectedly given wind and weather between her launch point and her expected recovery point, and she may even have to evade enemy attack." - pg 91, "Carrier Air Power" by Norman Friedman

I should note that the quoted text wasn't describing WWII aircraft carrier ops specifically, but was rather a general comment about carrier ops. However, I think it is safe to say that the comments are meant to apply to WWII ops as much if not more than any others, given the description of these requirements being "classical"; also, because the next sentences following the quote proceed to discuss the effects of this requirement on pre-WWII aircraft, as well as WWII-era beacons related to these issues.

I think this tends to support my earlier proposal (from another thread) that it would be a far better simulation of reality to have a course and perhaps a speed for the task force locked in by the user as part of the set of strike parameters. Indeed, I think it would be quite sufficient even to omit speed entirely and just set the TF's course during the strike using a set of eight arrows (for the eight main compass points) and a center button for the player to use if/when they do in fact want to hold the fleet in place during the strike for some reason (i.e., mirroring the old CAW behavior).

(in reply to Jorm)
Post #: 6
RE: Carriers at War - 11/8/2006 9:32:04 AM   
NimitsTexan

quote:

thanks
Paul

When a strike group was launched, the pilots were given a "point option" where the carriers were supposed to be. About half the time, though, USN pilot would arrive at point option only to find their carriers missing. If they were close enough or high enough, they could use their Y/E devices to home in on their carrier. Otherwise it was either best guess ot head for the nearest land. This explains, in part for example, how 75% of the Hornet strike group at Midway (sans VT-8) either ditched or landed at Midway without ever finding the IJN carriers.

Having carriers stop while strikes are in the air is tantamount to a surface combat sim forcing its ships to stop movement every time either one fired its guns or torpedos.

(in reply to Jorm)
Post #: 7
RE: Carriers at War - 11/8/2006 5:10:23 PM   
David Sandberg

quote:

ORIGINAL: NimitsTexan
Having carriers stop while strikes are in the air is tantamount to a surface combat sim forcing its ships to stop movement every time either one fired its guns or torpedos.

Yes, or perhaps even worse, for several reasons.

A strike can be aloft for a couple of hours, and if the carrier task force is spotted while "anchored", that spotting report gives the enemy 100% accurate knowledge of the task force's exact position for far longer than would be the case in reality. Imagine if at Midway, Nagumo's carriers would have been anchored to a single spot while their Midway strikes were underway (that's when U.S. scout planes spotted them). The subsequent U.S. strike, which in reality had to search around for a while to find Nagumo, would have been able to go directly to him without error. Good for the U.S. side, but not realistic.

Furthermore, a surface group of fast Japanese battlecruisers (like what was also present at Midway) can move at better than 30 knots. That means that such an enemy surface group at a range of over 60 nautical miles can close the range on that overly-accurate scouting report and launch a surface attack upon a carrier task force while it is "anchored" to await the return of its strike. Furthermore, in original CAW the carriers could attempt to withdraw from surface combat, but even if they manage to do so, since they cannot move while "anchored", a few minutes later another round of surface combat would ensue with the same units on both sides (i.e., rendering withdrawal of carriers next to useless).

CAW came so, SO close to being an incomparably great game in its original incarnation. The main reason I stopped playing it was because of this "anchored while airstrike is aloft" behavior, and the various unrealistic things that resulted from it. I know that Gregor from SSG said he never had these problems himself while playing the original game, but I don't see how that can be the case when I encountered them to one degree or another in the majority of the many CAW games I played. And the more I've remembered about what it was like to play the original CAW, the more I'm thinking that I may not even be inclined to check out a new version if it doesn't at least attempt to address this single issue.

(in reply to NimitsTexan)
Post #: 8
RE: Carriers at War - 11/8/2006 6:27:23 PM   
Froonp

quote:

quote:

thanks
Paul

Well, just look at tactical maps of the Battle of Midway, Great Mariana Turkey Shot, Coral Sea Santa Cruz Islands battles for example, and you'll see that Carrier Groups kept moving, not necessarily straight ahead, while their planes were in mission.
There were also occurences of the Strike being sent at the very limit of their ranges, and the CV Task Groups steaming in the direction of the sent strike to make their return travel shorter.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Froonp -- 11/8/2006 6:33:52 PM >

(in reply to Jorm)
Post #: 9
RE: Carriers at War - 11/8/2006 6:34:33 PM   
cyberwop36

Wow!! That is unrealisticly crappy, very gamey. I never played the original, but you'd think that part of planning a carrier air OP would be setting a recovery point. Or they would automaticly fly home like in Great Naval Battles which is also gamey.

I was looking forward to being a CV Taskforce commander making tactical decisions. Turning my carriers into the wind to launch and fighting off counter strikes and getting to recover my aircraft.

What do your cv's do when you launch a strike? Sit completely still [0 knots]? THAT would be a deal breaker for me.

(in reply to David Sandberg)
Post #: 10
RE: Carriers at War - 11/8/2006 7:06:52 PM   
David Sandberg

quote:

ORIGINAL: cyberwop36
What do your cv's do when you launch a strike? Sit completely still [0 knots]? THAT would be a deal breaker for me.

Yes, unfortunately, that's exactly what happened in the original CAW. But I really do have faith in SSG can address this pretty quickly, if they choose to. And as I said earlier, the original game was SO good except for that one issue that, if they can just address that one issue, they'll have an instant, timeless classic on their hands (IMO) ... and a guaranteed purchase from me at least!

(in reply to cyberwop36)
Post #: 11
RE: Carriers at War - 11/8/2006 7:12:26 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Sandberg

quote:

Yes, unfortunately, that's exactly what happened in the original CAW. But I really do have faith in SSG can address this pretty quickly, if they choose to. And as I said earlier, the original game was SO good except for that one issue that, if they can just address that one issue, they'll have an instant, timeless classic on their hands (IMO) ... and a guaranteed purchase from me at least!

It's not that the CV sat at 0 knots, it's just that the icon of the Task Group stayed in the same hex for the duration of the mission.
I think that the CV were assumed to steam their set speed, but they stayed in their hex.
That is, if they were attacked, they were not sitting ducks, they were maneuvering, but it is true that when Surface combat was initiated, they escaped, only to get caught 5 mn latter, to escape (maybe) again, etc...

That was the thing that I hated in that game, that was on all other aspects, the best you could find at that time

Post #: 12
RE: Carriers at War - 11/8/2006 7:20:15 PM   
David Sandberg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

quote:

Yes, unfortunately, that's exactly what happened in the original CAW.

It's not that the CV sat at 0 knots, it's just that the icon of the Task Group stayed in the same hex for the duration of the mission.
I think that the CV were assumed to steam their set speed, but they stayed in their hex.
That is, if they were attacked, they were not sitting ducks, they were maneuvering, but it is true that when Surface combat was initiated, they escaped, only to get caught 5 mn latter, to escape (maybe) again, etc...

Well, yes, that's true. One could say that the carriers were steaming at full speed in a tight circle around their anchor point. The "anchoring" at least didn't affect their ability to dodge enemy fire in tactical combat. Still, from an operational perspective, sailing at full speed in a tight circle around a single point ends up being essentially the same thing as sitting still, and the operational effects of that problem were what I was driving at.

From your post, it seems that I wasn't the only one who encountered the "nearly infinite loop of surface engagements" issue in the original CAW, after all. :)

< Message edited by David Sandberg -- 11/8/2006 9:12:09 PM >

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 13
RE: Carriers at War - 11/8/2006 7:23:09 PM   
Froonp

No you weren't the only one .
Maybe I was too reckless, and went too near of the enemy, but I often had this Surface Combat problem.

Post #: 14
RE: Carriers at War - 11/9/2006 1:21:51 AM   
Grotius

I never played CAW, but I do agree with those of you saying that CVs should have the option to move after they launch their planes, as they did in real life -- and not just to move around in circles in one hex.

But the designers may not see this request buried in this thread, whose title makes no mention of post-launch behavior. Perhaps one of you should start a new thread to get their attention? I'd do it but I don't know the original game at all. :)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 15
RE: Carriers at War - 11/9/2006 1:26:41 AM   
David Sandberg

I'm not opposed to having a separate thread started about this topic, but it was already brought up to and discussed with SSG reps in the stickied thread at the top of this forum.  And there aren't such a large number of new posts in this forum that this discussion is likely to be overlooked, in my opinion.  So I'd just worry that starting a separate thread for it at this point might be viewed as overkill.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 16
RE: Carriers at War - 11/9/2006 3:39:38 AM   
Jorm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

I never played CAW, but I do agree with those of you saying that CVs should have the option to move after they launch their planes, as they did in real life -- and not just to move around in circles in one hex.

Hi Grotius

Do you have any reference or info that says what the carriers did after launch ?
Im very interested in this both from a gaming and a histroical point of view
CAW was probably one of the best of the carrier games, but this seems to be a very imoprtant aspect of carrier operations that may not be modelled well in the game.

thanks
Paul

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 17
RE: Carriers at War - 11/9/2006 3:43:56 AM   
Jorm

[/quote]

From your post, it seems that I wasn't the only one who encountered the "nearly infinite loop of surface engagements" issue in the original CAW, after all. :)
[/quote]

I had this same issue as well, the constant tedious evasion in surface combat, it happened with merchants as well in game.
I recall SSG's response or justification at the time was along the lines of fleeing ships in a group would disperse/break-up/go in different directions and the attackers could only follow a few.

The surface combat resolution was as i have descibed it in a previous post " tedious and clinically dull". I imagine it was done that way due to limitaions of the game engine at the time.

Its looking very much like much of what is new with this itteration of CAW is some nice graphics. ah well

< Message edited by Jorm -- 11/9/2006 3:48:57 AM >

Post #: 18
RE: Carriers at War - 11/9/2006 5:57:05 AM   
cyberwop36

quote:

I'm not opposed to having a separate thread started about this topic, but it was already brought up to and discussed with SSG reps in the stickied thread at the top of this forum. And there aren't such a large number of new posts in this forum that this discussion is likely to be overlooked, in my opinion. So I'd just worry that starting a separate thread for it at this point might be viewed as overkill.
Well I read the sticky and they said no way, no change, and no reply to your last suggestion. Maybe they are concidering it?

What is the hex scale of the game? How much cruising range are you losing during the flight of your aircraft? It really takes away a lot of tactical creativity and it's not how the battles were fought. I didn't play CAW but in Great Naval Battles 3 your ac automatically homed back in to your TF and if they ran out of fuel to bad. I believe each flight of ac had a range circle and you tried to stay in it. But GNB3 wasn't hex based.

Please give me some info. With the hexes does it play out more like WitP or tactically like GNB3.

I'm really looking forward to this game but freezing my carriers while I have a strike in the air maybe a little to beers and pretzels for me. I was hoping to be a Halsey TF commander but if I can't move my forces in a somewhat realistic manner this game may not be for me.

< Message edited by cyberwop36 -- 11/9/2006 6:00:54 AM >

Post #: 19
RE: Carriers at War - 11/9/2006 11:26:02 AM   
RayWolfe

quote:

What is the hex scale of the game? How much cruising range are you losing during the flight of your aircraft? It really takes away a lot of tactical creativity and it's not how the battles were fought. I didn't play CAW but in Great Naval Battles 3 your ac automatically homed back in to your TF and if they ran out of fuel to bad. I believe each flight of ac had a range circle and you tried to stay in it. But GNB3 wasn't hex based.

Please give me some info. With the hexes does it play out more like WitP or tactically like GNB3.

I'm really looking forward to this game but freezing my carriers while I have a strike in the air maybe a little to beers and pretzels for me. I was hoping to be a Halsey TF commander but if I can't move my forces in a somewhat realistic manner this game may not be for me.

CAW is not hex based!

Please have a little restraint. The original game was better than good and SSG will not let this iteration be bad.

I can't understand folk who take an issue like this, game unseen, and project "B&P" and "not for me". For goodness sake give the developers time to get the game out, get some user feedback, get some reviews, them make your decision. It may not be for you, but you don't know that yet! You don't even know that it's not hex based.

I'm sure you will like it. serious wargamers loved the original.
Cheers
Ray

< Message edited by RayWolfe -- 11/9/2006 11:29:59 AM >

(in reply to cyberwop36)
Post #: 20
RE: Carriers at War - 11/9/2006 4:37:52 PM   
David Sandberg

quote:

ORIGINAL: RayWolfe
CAW is not hex based!

CAW WAS hex based, even if the hexes weren't actually shown on the screen. (We're speaking of the old CAW now, of course, although it doesn't sound like the new game will have changed that, and there really isn't a great need to change it either.) Even the original CAW manual refers to fleet locations as "hexes".

To the earlier poster, I don't know exactly what the size of the hexes were, but they seemed to be pretty small, and as I said above, they weren't shown on the map, but were just used internally by the game to track fleet positions. I never found them to be particularly noticeable, so I wouldn't worry about that.

quote:

You don't even know that it's not hex based.

(biting my tongue here)

quote:

I'm sure you will like it. serious wargamers loved the original.

This serious wargamer (much more serious then than now, in fact) did love the original, but with a few reservations nonetheless. At the time it was more of a "wargamer's game" than I had dared expect would ever be available to me, even with those few warts. But the times, the available computer power and the ease of development have all changed ... and so have my expectations.

(in reply to RayWolfe)
Post #: 21
RE: Carriers at War - 11/9/2006 11:32:57 PM   
Marcus Caelius

quote:

...and SSG will not let this iteration be bad.

I'm not as sanguine. It's been years, but I recall there was some sort of bug in the Construction Kit that was fixed in CAW2, then reintroduced in CCAW and never fixed again. IIRC, there were also one or two graphics files (having to do with optional damage, I think) that disappeared in CCAW.

SSG can get a little sloppy.

Oh, and I really missed the original CAW intro music that disappeared in CAW2 and CCAW.

Other than that, I'm as anxious for the release as everyone else.

< Message edited by Marcus Caelius -- 11/9/2006 11:36:02 PM >

(in reply to RayWolfe)
Post #: 22
RE: Carriers at War - 11/10/2006 3:47:15 AM   
Gregor_SSG

Just a few points in reply to the posts made here. Firstly, we do try to read every post, though its usually not possible to respond in detail to every single one.

As to the question of what the carriers do when launching a strike, I'd like to make the following points.

Carriers are considered to be 'on station' in a hex steaming at cruising speed while waiting for strike recovery - they are not anchored at zero knots.

Carriers are considered to be manouvering at flank speed whenever under air attack, for the purpose of dodging bombs and torpedoes.

The fact that the formation is in a single hex is no advantage at all for the purpose of launching airstrikes or intercepting with surface groups, since you never deal with the real location of enemy ships, only a sighting report which is inherently variable. You have the same chance of your strike finding a Task Group steaming a set course as one that is 'on station'. So while you know that a TG is in the same hex, the routines that handle sightings and strikes don't.

It is true that if your surface TG is in the same hex as an enemy TG then there a chance for repeated surface contacts. However this is very hard to achieve. You might manage it at night, but sightings decay at night and carriers are unlikely to still be on station recovering strikes at night. You can try during the day, but its hard to get a surface group close to enemy carriers without being sighted and sunk long before you can even think about surface combat. The Japanese did manage this at Leyte Gulf, (by the deliberate sacrifice of their fleet carriers as decoys) but their surface group, despite overwhelming force and being opposed only by a bunch of escort carriers, found the experience so disagreeable that at one stage they retired in confusion and were able to sink exactly one US carrier with gunfire.

In all our years of making games, we have stuck to some basic principles and some of them are very relevant here. In summary, they include:

1. Game first, simulation second. It doesn’t matter how realistic it is, if a game is too hard or not fun to play, people just won’t play it.
2. No game should try to do everything, otherwise it will fall foul of Rule 1 and be too hard to play. This means that we abstract some game elements in order to focus on those that are, (in our judgement) both important and fun.
3. No player wants to do everything but different players will want to do different things. In other words, you can’t please everybody and in trying you’ll probably end up pleasing nobody.
4. You cannot just ask players to ‘do the right thing’ (more on this later).

Carriers at War is not a super tactical game. We don’t want you having to turn your carriers into the wind, micro-manage deck operations or do complex navigation. Your job is at a higher level which involves making tough decisions on incomplete information, not counting deck spots.

On that last point, Carriers at War is already a highly successful game, with its various versions winning multiple awards and selling around 150,000 copies. We’re confident that, even if it doesn’t happen to handle all the details the way you would like, it is such an exciting and fun to play game that you won’t regret its purchase.

Now to the delicate issue of player behaviour. Ian Trout, designer of Carriers at War, has reminded me that the main reason for the ‘on station’ rule is to prevent players from launching a raid and then simply running away from any retribution or mutual strikes. The player would lose their planes, but quite possibly preserve their carriers while sinking the opposition force. With reference to Rule 4 above, we know that it is futile, especially in a multi-player game, to ask players to refrain from exploiting the game system. If an exploit is possible, they will use it while blaming us and simultaneously demanding that we stop it. So we’ve stopped it. Ian reports that the impromptu kamikaze tactic was a favourite in the old board game Flat Top, which had no mechanism to prevent it.

So there you have a full and frank explanation of the mechanism. I’m sure that people will have further ideas and we’ll listen to everything. I would remind people though that we are close to finishing the game, and we are not in a position to make big changes to the current game system.

Gregor

Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.

(in reply to Marcus Caelius)
Post #: 23
RE: Carriers at War - 11/10/2006 4:46:27 AM   
goodwoodrw

Well said sir, now get back to work and finish CAW so you can start on a new version of Warlords closer to the original

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 24
RE: Carriers at War - 11/10/2006 5:01:49 AM   
David Sandberg

Gregor,

I realize that you're going to do whatever you feel is best for your game design, and I don't want to belabor my point of view to where it becomes tedious.  I'll just respond to a couple of your points, in case it gives you anything further to think about:

quote:

You can try during the day, but its hard to get a surface group close to enemy carriers without being sighted and sunk long before you can even think about surface combat.

The disagreement I have with this is that striking a nearby surface group is not always the smart decision ...and definitely not when there are enemy carriers also within range.  The latter obviously ought to be considered the greater threat and should be attacked rather than the surface group.  As you pointed out in your post, a surface group almost never was able to close to gun range with enemy carriers during the war, but that's as much because carrier groups were able to spot and run away from surface groups when they needed to, rather than that they always used their planes to strike any approaching surface group.

Take my Midway example: if the American carriers spot the four Japanese battlecruisers shortly after daybreak to the SW at a range of only 60 nm, but shortly thereafter spot the Japanese carriers to the NW at a range of, say, 100 nm, what should they do?  Since both sightings are well within range, but the carriers ought to pose the greater threat (in a realistic setting), the obvious course is to strike the enemy carriers immediately while turning the fleet to the NE to maintain distance from the enemy surface group, since the surface group needs to close the range to attack, but the enemy carriers pose a more immediate threat.  However, this situation is unsolvable in CAW, because such a strike against the carriers ends in an attack by the surface group before the airstrike can be recovered, and a strike against the surface group most likely ends with an enemy airstrike against your carriers while you are busy attacking the surface group.  And splitting your aircraft to strike both targets simultaneously would be the worst idea of all (violating the dictum of concentration of forces at the point of attack, and probably not significantly hurting either enemy fleet as a result).

quote:

... the main reason for the ‘on station’ rule is to prevent players from launching a raid and then simply running away from any retribution or mutual strikes. The player would lose their planes, but quite possibly preserve their carriers while sinking the opposition force

I understand what you are saying about not allowing players a "gamey" exploit like launching a strike with no intention to recover it, and I fully agree with that goal.  However, I believe the better and more realistic way to prevent this is the implementation that I've now described more than once: specifically, that the player has to lock in his fleet movement when the strike is created, and the software only allows the strike to be created if the player's requested fleet movement would allow the airstrike to be recovered.  And when you say that the player shouldn't need to do math, let me repeat that the proposal was for the program itself to limit the player's inputs for fleet movement to those that would allow recovery of the strike aircraft.  As soon as the player has selected the airstrike's target, the program should have everything it needs to do the math internally to say "okay, we can enable the buttons for fleet movement to the W and NW during the airstrike, but disable the other fleet movement buttons because moving the fleet in those directions would not allow the strike to be recovered".  (In case it's unclear, I'm thinking of a set of fleet movement buttons almost exactly like those used for setting search plane arcs here.)  Restricting the player's fleet movement inputs to those movements that would allow recovery of the requested airstrike falls far short of being rocket science ... for the most part it's a straightforward intercept calculation.

I've said my piece on this (more than once, already).  So hopefully I'll be able to bow out now and simply wish you much luck with your release.

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 25
RE: Carriers at War - 11/10/2006 5:31:30 AM   
cyberwop36

Well thanks for the info. Sorry, I didn't mean to start a storm. I never played CAW back in the day and wanted to know about it. I was playing Great Naval Battles back then.

SSG has made many great titles over the years and I was wondering if this one was for me. WitP gives me all the big decisions I can handle. I was hoping for a more hands on carrier commander role. That is why these forums are great. We can find out about games and make informed decisions instead of buying titles blind. It is also great to get info straight from the horses mouth so to speak. Everybodys tastes are different.

Thanks

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 26
RE: Carriers at War - 11/10/2006 10:13:44 AM   
Ursa MAior

Thanks for the info. Altough it is a great idea what David proposed I also have one which IMHO is easier to implement. Planes lost due to running out of fuel cost say 5-10 times more Victory Point than shot down planes. In this way players will be forced to think as a real admrial. "it would be too costly to loose all those pilots".

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to cyberwop36)
Post #: 27
RE: Carriers at War - 11/10/2006 12:10:04 PM   
NimitsTexan

quote:

Now to the delicate issue of player behaviour. Ian Trout, designer of Carriers at War, has reminded me that the main reason for the ‘on station’ rule is to prevent players from launching a raid and then simply running away from any retribution or mutual strikes. The player would lose their planes, but quite possibly preserve their carriers while sinking the opposition force. With reference to Rule 4 above, we know that it is futile, especially in a multi-player game, to ask players to refrain from exploiting the game system. If an exploit is possible, they will use it while blaming us and simultaneously demanding that we stop it. So we’ve stopped it. Ian reports that the impromptu kamikaze tactic was a favourite in the old board game Flat Top, which had no mechanism to prevent it.

Why not simply penalize the player in terms of victory conditions for loss of his strike group? It was no easy thing training and building carrier air groups, and the loss of a hundred or so planes and pilots could be just as devestating to a navy as the loss of a carrier or two. See the Japanese "Victory" at Santa Cruz.

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 28
RE: Carriers at War - 11/10/2006 12:46:16 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Gregor,

I realize that you're going to do whatever you feel is best for your game design, and I don't want to belabor my point of view to where it becomes tedious.  I'll just respond to a couple of your points, in case it gives you anything further to think about:

quote:

You can try during the day, but its hard to get a surface group close to enemy carriers without being sighted and sunk long before you can even think about surface combat.

The disagreement I have with this is that striking a nearby surface group is not always the smart decision ...and definitely not when there are enemy carriers also within range.  The latter obviously ought to be considered the greater threat and should be attacked rather than the surface group.  As you pointed out in your post, a surface group almost never was able to close to gun range with enemy carriers during the war, but that's as much because carrier groups were able to spot and run away from surface groups when they needed to, rather than that they always used their planes to strike any approaching surface group.

Take my Midway example: if the American carriers spot the four Japanese battlecruisers shortly after daybreak to the SW at a range of only 60 nm, but shortly thereafter spot the Japanese carriers to the NW at a range of, say, 100 nm, what should they do?  Since both sightings are well within range, but the carriers ought to pose the greater threat (in a realistic setting), the obvious course is to strike the enemy carriers immediately while turning the fleet to the NE to maintain distance from the enemy surface group, since the surface group needs to close the range to attack, but the enemy carriers pose a more immediate threat.  However, this situation is unsolvable in CAW, because such a strike against the carriers ends in an attack by the surface group before the airstrike can be recovered, and a strike against the surface group most likely ends with an enemy airstrike against your carriers while you are busy attacking the surface group.  And splitting your aircraft to strike both targets simultaneously would be the worst idea of all (violating the dictum of concentration of forces at the point of attack, and probably not significantly hurting either enemy fleet as a result).

quote:

... the main reason for the ‘on station’ rule is to prevent players from launching a raid and then simply running away from any retribution or mutual strikes. The player would lose their planes, but quite possibly preserve their carriers while sinking the opposition force

I understand what you are saying about not allowing players a "gamey" exploit like launching a strike with no intention to recover it, and I fully agree with that goal.  However, I believe the better and more realistic way to prevent this is the implementation that I've now described more than once: specifically, that the player has to lock in his fleet movement when the strike is created, and the software only allows the strike to be created if the player's requested fleet movement would allow the airstrike to be recovered.  And when you say that the player shouldn't need to do math, let me repeat that the proposal was for the program itself to limit the player's inputs for fleet movement to those that would allow recovery of the strike aircraft.  As soon as the player has selected the airstrike's target, the program should have everything it needs to do the math internally to say "okay, we can enable the buttons for fleet movement to the W and NW during the airstrike, but disable the other fleet movement buttons because moving the fleet in those directions would not allow the strike to be recovered".  (In case it's unclear, I'm thinking of a set of fleet movement buttons almost exactly like those used for setting search plane arcs here.)  Restricting the player's fleet movement inputs to those movements that would allow recovery of the requested airstrike falls far short of being rocket science ... for the most part it's a straightforward intercept calculation.

I've said my piece on this (more than once, already).  So hopefully I'll be able to bow out now and simply wish you much luck with your release.

I think that David has both good arguments and good solutions, and I for one would be ready to wait longer, and pay more, for a game that would have such more realistic behavior in this critical domain.

Post #: 29
RE: Carriers at War - 11/10/2006 6:49:12 PM   
LitFuel

Maybe thse things could be added in an expansion later along with my Kriegsmarine Atlantic/Med scenerios

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> Carriers at War Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI