Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

In-person head-to-head play?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Opponents Wanted >> In-person head-to-head play? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
In-person head-to-head play? - 11/13/2006 1:50:46 AM   
Cpt_Aubrey

Many times, I've seen folks playing backgammon, chess, etc. in cafes or the like over time. Has anyone heard of gamers meeting in person, with laptops, to play H3 head-to-head?

< Message edited by Cpt_Aubrey -- 12/13/2006 2:47:57 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: In-person head-to-head play? - 11/13/2006 10:09:32 AM   
Dimitris

Had done it a while ago (late 2003) while testing the very early MP betas. Back then there was no separate server exe; rather, any of the clients could assume the server role and everyone else connected to it. Worked very well, in fact. Mid-sized scenarios ran excellent on a 100Mbit LAN, with mid-ranged hardware. 

(in reply to Cpt_Aubrey)
Post #: 2
RE: In-person head-to-head play? - 11/14/2006 12:00:19 AM   
Cpt_Aubrey

Sunburn,

Think a WiFi connection between laptops would support carrier task forces facing off?

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 3
RE: In-person head-to-head play? - 11/14/2006 12:24:09 AM   
TonyE

Sure, the limitation is much more on processing power on the machine acting as server than it is on the connection speed. Carrier task forces facing off shouldn't even challenge an 802.11b connection, 802.11g will be wonderful overkill.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to Cpt_Aubrey)
Post #: 4
RE: In-person head-to-head play? - 11/14/2006 5:11:14 AM   
Cpt_Aubrey

That's great to hear Tony. That the WiFi wouldn't be a success limiting step.

As for processing power, do you know how a 2GHz Pentium(R) w/ nearly 2GB of RAM would work then in a senerio where two carrier tasks forces go at it w/ all there planes, etc. in the fray??

Now, I'm salivating....

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 5
RE: In-person head-to-head play? - 11/14/2006 9:53:01 AM   
Flankerk

The limiting power for scenarios doesn't tend necessarily to be how many units are involved. The major factors are size of map, amount of coastline and number of sides involved. For multiplayer games most scenarios will currently have to be 500kb or smaller. Basically the smaller the carrier battle can be made, the faster it will run.

"Alas poor Yorick,I knew him Horatio"

#1 Quote of the Harpoon Community.

(in reply to Cpt_Aubrey)
Post #: 6
RE: In-person head-to-head play? - 11/14/2006 5:40:37 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: TonyE

Sure, the limitation is much more on processing power on the machine acting as server than it is on the connection speed. Carrier task forces facing off shouldn't even challenge an 802.11b connection, 802.11g will be wonderful overkill.

Well the good news is your most likely going to be using a combo or G wireless access point as sole B's are less common these days and I'd think most would want to use 54

One of the gotcha's with wireless is the # of users etc. So before picking the net cafe etc. you may want to get an idea of how many people tend to use and when. AKA if the place is mobbed..don't.

If you live in a pretty urban tech savvy area alot of game groups post the best places to do their thing. Might be worth a look-see.

Good idea btw...

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 7
RE: In-person head-to-head play? - 11/14/2006 10:41:27 PM   
hermanhum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cpt_Aubrey

Now, I'm salivating....

So, why not come back and finish our game in progress?

We started Suomenlinna with the PlayersDB and it still sits on HarpGamer's ANW server awaiting our return...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cpt_Aubrey)
Post #: 8
RE: In-person head-to-head play? - 11/15/2006 12:00:21 AM   
Cpt_Aubrey

Thank you for all your responses.

What my vision is is to find someone, or small group of folks, that want to meet in person and play a not so limitied game in terms of platforms/units/ships/planes, etc. together. If that can be done over a wireless LAN w/o going through a local hub, i.e. direct laptop to laptop, SUPER. If it involves cables, great. If that requires minimal coastlines and/or no coastlines, that's fine.

My goal is to make the game flow without inhibiting internet/sever issues. Plus, playing in person could be fun if one can share a beer together and talk about the game. I see those stuffy chess players doing that all the time. (side note, chess can be fun too.)

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 9
RE: In-person head-to-head play? - 11/15/2006 8:25:16 AM   
mikmykWS

Yeah do your thing and have some fun If I wasn't on the other coast I'd be there

(in reply to Cpt_Aubrey)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Opponents Wanted >> In-person head-to-head play? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI