Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/13/2006 9:30:30 PM   
Oldguard

quote:

ORIGINAL: andysomers
Someone made the correlation earlier to Vietnam - I think that is right on.  North Vietnam could not have beaten the US militarily, if the US was fully committed to the war.  North Vietnam with the help of the Soviets or Chinese (analagous to European recognition), or by defeating the US will to fight (what historically happened), allowed a much smaller country (in terms of size and resource) to defeat a Goliath.

I think the North teetered on the brink of collapse several times.  Lincoln's will and political genius saved it - I would vehemently argue that.

Andy, you make a great point in a way -- winning a war is more about national will than it is about military power. North Vietnam did not defeat the U.S. on the battlefield -- ever. They realized this was not something they could ever do and thus their resort to political weapons, propaganda and guerilla tactics in order to undermine national will to fight. We're seeing the same methods being used by Islamic extremists today.

Citizens during the Civil War had never heard of assymetrical warfare, though that's essentially what a few commanders like Morgan and Forrest practiced. The South never really had to win the war militarily -- all they had to do was create doubt in the minds of their enemies as to the worthiness of the struggle and hold out long enough to undo Northern unity.

I submit that a Cannae-like victory in the Seven Days' battles, or later at Gettysburg (both very achievable), might have drastically altered Lincoln's powerbase and seriously undercut Union support for the war. Whether that would have resulted in a Union acceptance of Confederate existence or not is another question, but at no time did it have to include a complete defeat of Yankee arms.

< Message edited by Oldguard -- 11/13/2006 9:35:17 PM >

(in reply to andysomers)
Post #: 91
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/13/2006 10:51:23 PM   
megalomania2003

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oldguard
I submit that a Cannae-like victory in the Seven Days' battles, or later at Gettysburg (both very achievable)

Disagree on this one. I have read quite a few alternate versions of the battles and they ignore that a Cannae-like victory, except for Appotomax, was never even close in the real world. The Union armies were simply to large and well equipped with rifles for this to happen.

(in reply to Oldguard)
Post #: 92
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/13/2006 11:02:58 PM   
Queeg

My two cents: The South could not win militarily so long as the North was willing to prosecute the war to the end. While the South might have been able to win a temporary political victory under a variety of plausible circumstances, I highly doubt that any such political resolution would have been permanent. Two nations, with similar imperial ambitions, could not have coexisted on the same continent for long. In fact, once the South faced up to the fact that slavery was no longer a viable institution, a peaceful reunion might even have been possible.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 93
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/13/2006 11:15:22 PM   
RERomine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Queeg

My two cents: The South could not win militarily so long as the North was willing to prosecute the war to the end. While the South might have been able to win a temporary political victory under a variety of plausible circumstances, I highly doubt that any such political resolution would have been permanent. Two nations, with similar imperial ambitions, could not have coexisted on the same continent for long. In fact, once the South faced up to the fact that slavery was no longer a viable institution, a peaceful reunion might even have been possible.

If, by chance, McClellan had won the election in 1864 and peace ensued (McClellan claimed he would have still fought to the end if he had won considering the situation at the time of the election), slavery was still pretty much dead. The only way slavery would have been able to continue in the South would have been at the point of a bayonnet.

(in reply to Queeg)
Post #: 94
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/13/2006 11:18:07 PM   
andysomers

quote:

The South could not win militarily so long as the North was willing to prosecute the war to the end.

That sums it up. Well put.

I'd say that a "Cannae-type" victory was possible, but highly unlikely. AS Johnston nearly did it at Shiloh, and probably would have if Buell was a day later (or Johnston had launched the attack a day earlier as planned). Where Lee really had a chance was Antiteam - that victory would have nearly ensured English and French recognition.

Interesting is the "Gettysburg" trilogy by Newt Gingrich which explores a CS Cannae-type victory at Gettysburg. Very much worth the read! All of you would enjoy this series!

AS

(in reply to Queeg)
Post #: 95
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/14/2006 5:36:34 AM   
Twotribes

An example of why the States could not leave the union in the Constitution would be article VI.

I have never figured out how to paste on this board so I suggest you go read said article.

(in reply to andysomers)
Post #: 96
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/14/2006 5:39:01 AM   
Twotribes

Section 10 of article I would also apply.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 97
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/14/2006 5:42:01 AM   
Twotribes

Article III defines treason. And of course it defines the power of the Judiciary which indicates no State has the power to leave the Union.

(in reply to Oldguard)
Post #: 98
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/14/2006 5:43:15 AM   
Twotribes

In summary, just about every Article of the Constitution implies that one can NOT leave the Union once one has joined it, without first changing the Document or getting the permission of the Federal Government.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 99
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/14/2006 5:52:20 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

to paste things on this forum, click post reply above posting area. It will then open another posting window where you can post as normal and paste things into.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 100
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/14/2006 6:00:54 AM   
Twotribes

Must just be me, but when I open the Post reply box it does not allow me to paste into it from my Firefox browser. Nor did it when i used Explorer. There is a link command, that would require me to write the URL down though.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 101
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/14/2006 6:07:51 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

hmmm I am using firefox and it works fine for me. Are you hitting Post reply? Not fast reply. that just centers on the window below.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 102
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/14/2006 8:54:06 AM   
Twotribes

Yes I use post reply , It opens a new box and that has no ability to call copy material from the browser all I have is a series of command boxes, one of which allows me to type in a URL for a link. was like that even with the normal explorer.

The command boxes are B(old) I ( not sure) U(nderline) hr ( not sure) quote link color list image code right center.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 103
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/14/2006 5:36:39 PM   
RERomine

As I understand it, those who feel secession was legal, believe the act of secession nullified a state's obligations to all aspects of the U.S. Constitution. To states in the Confederacy, it was null and void. Therefore, any statement short of something like "Once a state ratifies the U.S. Constitution, it may not be nullified by that state" leaves the question of legality open. The United States considered it to be unvoidable, where the Confederacy did not. Only the U.S. Supreme Court has the obligation to interpret the meaning of the U.S. Constitution in the matter of secession and that never happened.

The legality point could be argued until we are blue in the face, but no one can prove it and the only entity that could decide the issue (U.S. Supreme Court) could care less.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 104
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/14/2006 5:56:38 PM   
andysomers

The main point is that it was for sure not a black and white issue of whether a state could leave the Union at the time of the war.  The Civil War answered that question firmly.  Secession was not completely a Southern idea as well.  Examine the Hartford Convention of 1814, when several northern states openly debated the idea.

Again, the major outcome of the war (aside from the abolition of slavery obviously) was the establishment of the federal government as the supreme governing body of the land.  The United States ARE, before, the United States IS afterwards.

AS

(in reply to RERomine)
Post #: 105
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/14/2006 7:07:11 PM   
RERomine

Unfortunately, it hasn't been argued by the only body who's opinion really counts on Constitutional law.

(in reply to andysomers)
Post #: 106
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/14/2006 7:32:39 PM   
andysomers

...but firmly laid to rest on the battlefield.

(in reply to RERomine)
Post #: 107
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/14/2006 8:09:34 PM   
Jonathan Palfrey

quote:

I don't think war can be said to settle any question of principle. Unless you believe that Might is Right.

Admittedly, it does sometimes settle questions of practice.

< Message edited by Jonathan Palfrey -- 11/14/2006 8:15:38 PM >

(in reply to andysomers)
Post #: 108
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/14/2006 8:23:07 PM   
RERomine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jonathan Palfrey

quote:

I don't think war can be said to settle any question of principle. Unless you believe that Might is Right.

Admittedly, it does sometimes settle questions of practice.

Agreed. The winning side isn't always the "right" side. In this case, the pre and post war United States were different, so the issue never came up again.

Are we ready to lower the curtain on this thread, so it's no where near the original thread topic?

(in reply to Jonathan Palfrey)
Post #: 109
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/14/2006 8:30:33 PM   
andysomers

In this instance, I most certainly believe that Might made Right.  Alabamian by birth and by raising, Southern to the core, I believe the war proved secession wrong.  If that is still an issue, the whole war was, in my mind, essentially fought in vain.

AS

Oops, didn't see the other post. I agree - lay it to rest! Good discussion however!

< Message edited by andysomers -- 11/14/2006 8:35:54 PM >

Post #: 110
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/15/2006 10:59:56 AM   
Goodwin

Sorry if I am reviving a thread that everyone is done with. I just couldn't let a discussion about the legality of secession pass without contributing what I believe is by far the most compelling argument on the issue, which was offered by the great American orator and Senator Daniel Webster in his famous debate with Hayne:

quote:

This leads us to inquire into the origin of this government and the source of its power. Whose agent is it? Is it the creature of the State legislatures, or the creature of the people? If the government of the United States be the agent of the State governments, then they may control it, provided they can agree in the manner of controlling it; if it be the agent of the people, then the people alone can control it, restrain it, modify, or reform it. It is observable enough, that the doctrine for which the honorable gentleman contends leads him to the necessity of maintaining, not only that this general government is the creature of the States, but that it is the creature of each of the States severally, so that each may assert the power for itself of determining whether it acts whithin the limits of its authority. It is the servant of four-and-twenty masters, of different will and different purposes and yet bound to obey all. This absurdity (for it seems no less) arises from a misconception as to the origin of this government and its true character. It is, Sir, the people's Constitution, the people's government, made for the people, made by the people, and answerable to the people. The people of the United States have declared that the Constitution shall be the supreme law. We must either admit the proposition, or dispute their authority. The States are, unquestionably, sovereign, so far as their sovereignty is not affected by this supreme law. But the State legislatures, as political bodies, however sovereign, are yet not sovereign over the people. So far as the people have given the power to the general government, so far the grant is unquestionably good, and the government holds of the people, and not of the State governments. We are all agents of the same supreme power, the people. The general government and the State governments derive their authority from the same source. Neither can, in relation to the other, be called primary, though one is definite and restricted, and the other general and residuary. The national government possesses those powers which it will be shown the people have conferred upon it, and no more. All the rest belongs to the State governments, or to the people themselves. So far as the people have restrained State sovereignty, by the expression of their will, in the Constitution of the United States, so far, it must be admitted... We are here to administer a Constitution emanating immediately from the people, and trusted by them to our administration. It is not the creature of the State governments.

Webster points out that the true sovereignty in the American people lies not with the states, but with the people, and therefore the states have no power over the constitution. States cannot secede because the states did not create the Constitution and endow it with its power, the people did that. The people further granted the federal government a certain power over the states, by making the Constitution the supreme law of the land, and extending the constitution to cover their “posterity.” This suggests that the state government do not have the right or power to remove themselves for the Constitution and the United States government.

There are a few more legalistic/textual arguments against secession, but Webster's always seemed the most fundamental to me. Beyond even that, however, the nature of democracy forbids secession. In order for democracy to work, all must agree to accept majority rule. If secession were acceptable, there could be no true democracy, for the minority could always simply leave whenever the majority voted for something they did not like (such as Abraham Lincoln). This is not government, it is anarchy.

Williams Sherman actually argued something along these lines while writing about what it would take for the North to win the war and what that would mean in terms of the principals behind the war:

quote:

Another great and important natural truth is still in contest and can only be solved by war. Numerical majorities by vote is our great arbiter. Heretofore all have submitted to it in questions left open, but numerical majorities are not necessarily physical majorities. The South, though numerically inferior, contend they can whip the Northern superiority of numbers, and therefore by natural law are not bound to submit. This issue is the only real one, and in my judgment all else should be deferred to it. War alone can decide it, and it is the only question left to us as a people. Can we whip the South? If we can, our numerical majority has both the natural and constitutional right to govern. If we cannot whip them, they contend for the natural right to select their own government, and they have the argument. Our armies must prevail over theirs. Our officers, marshals, and courts must penetrate into the innermost recesses of their land before we have the natural right to demand their submission.

To briefly also address the main subject of the thread, I think it is evidence of how successful the later grand strategy employed, primarily, by Grant and Sherman was that there is now so much doubt as to whether the South could have ever won the war. At the beginning of the war, the attitude was much the opposite, with many believing that the North had no chance. Confederate Secretary of War George W. Randolph asserted, “They may overrun our frontier States and plunder our coast, but, as for conquering us, the thing is an impossibility. There is no instance in history of a people as numerous as we are inhabiting a country so extensive as ours being subjected if true to themselves.” And lest he be accused on misjudgment based on Southern pride and the myth that one Southerner could whip ten Northerners, the London Times basically agree with him when they editorialized, “It is one thing to drive the 'rebels' from the bank of the Potomac, or even to occupy Richmond, but another to reduce and hold in permanent subjection a tract of country nearly as large as Russia in Europe and inhabited by Anglo-Saxons. We have never questioned the superiority of the North for the purposes of warfare, but no war of independence ever terminated unsuccessfully, except where the disparity of force was far greater than it is here.” Note that the Times agrees that the North is superior to the South for the purposes of warfare, and still gives the North no chance. I think it is a testament to the men who shaped and enacted the Union war effort that they were able to so drastically change the general perception of the South's chances in the war.

Post #: 111
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/15/2006 11:34:28 AM   
Mike Scholl

"Webster points out that the true sovereignty in the American people lies not with the states, but with the people, and therefore the states have no power over the constitution. States cannot secede because the states did not create the Constitution and endow it with its power, the people did that. The people further granted the federal government a certain power over the states, by making the Constitution the supreme law of the land, and extending the constitution to cover their “posterity.” This suggests that the state government do not have the right or power to remove themselves for the Constitution and the United States government. "

You do realize that this is pure baloney?   The Delegates to the Constitutional Convention were not chosen in popular elections, they were chosen by the Legislatures of the Soverign States.   The Bi-cameral Legislature was put into place as a compromise of power between the large and populous States, and the smaller and less populous States.  The truth is that the right of succession is Constitutionally legal.  Maybe not justifiable, and under the circumstances of the time, perhaps not morally defensible---but it was Legal.  Can we put this issue to bed..., please?

(in reply to Goodwin)
Post #: 112
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/15/2006 3:39:17 PM   
Twotribes

NO, but we can move it to the other thread )

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 113
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/29/2006 2:07:07 AM   
Texican

//Did the South have any chance of victory?//

Maybe. Just like in gaming, if the other side out-produces you, then your only chances are to act fast. I'd say the South had two viable options:

1) Go hyper aggressive in the Eastern theater. Maybe strip the entire Confederate Navy of its guns and use these as concentrated artillery batteries for their land army, then perform a "Sherman's-type march" up through the New England states, burning factories, farms, and cities; just a swath of destruction.

OR

2) Advance to sniper/guerilla tactics, sort of like North Vietnam did in the 1960's. Just make it so darned miserable for the Union Army to operate in the South that they give in.

I think Option #1, however, was their only true chance at victory in that war.

"Noooooo, not the both of us, not all of us!" - Armistead at Gettysburg

< Message edited by Texican -- 11/29/2006 2:12:52 AM >

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 114
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/29/2006 2:39:25 AM   
RERomine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Texican

//Did the South have any chance of victory?//

Maybe. Just like in gaming, if the other side out-produces you, then your only chances are to act fast. I'd say the South had two viable options:

1) Go hyper aggressive in the Eastern theater. Maybe strip the entire Confederate Navy of its guns and use these as concentrated artillery batteries for their land army, then perform a "Sherman's-type march" up through the New England states, burning factories, farms, and cities; just a swath of destruction.

OR

2) Advance to sniper/guerilla tactics, sort of like North Vietnam did in the 1960's. Just make it so darned miserable for the Union Army to operate in the South that they give in.

I think Option #1, however, was their only true chance at victory in that war.

I think capturing Washington would have worked. Even if the Union didn't give up at that point, foreign recognition was sure to follow. To me, Southern victory would be if they continued to exist, which could have been achieved by maintaining a battlefield stalemate. This seemed to be a very attainable goal.

(in reply to Texican)
Post #: 115
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/29/2006 4:04:42 AM   
Grifman

The South should have used the strategy Johnston used in defending Atlanta and Lee in defending Richmond in 1864, but for the entire war. Fight a slow bloody delaying battle. The South was too obsessed with the cult of the offensive, a strategy for which they did not have the manpower. They needed a strategy of Fabian delay, fighting on the defensive only, inflicting casualties to make the North weary of the war. It's arguable that given Grant's casualties and lack of progress in the East, that if the South had held Atlanta until the Northern elections, the defeatist Democrats might have won, and the South would have gained its independence.

(in reply to RERomine)
Post #: 116
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/29/2006 5:38:54 AM   
RERomine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grifman

The South should have used the strategy Johnston used in defending Atlanta and Lee in defending Richmond in 1864, but for the entire war. Fight a slow bloody delaying battle. The South was too obsessed with the cult of the offensive, a strategy for which they did not have the manpower. They needed a strategy of Fabian delay, fighting on the defensive only, inflicting casualties to make the North weary of the war. It's arguable that given Grant's casualties and lack of progress in the East, that if the South had held Atlanta until the Northern elections, the defeatist Democrats might have won, and the South would have gained its independence.

The problem is I don't know that the South had a strategy other than working towards foreign recognition and holding on until that happened. If the Confederacy could have moved troops to the East to get regional superiority, just think of what Lee could have done.

They hoped McClellan would pursue peace if he won the election in 1864, but I've read McClellan had no such plan. I could hunt the source of this down if anyone is interested. That actually caught me by surprise, because the official platform for the Democrats was peace. McClellan evidently didn't adhere to this official platform.

< Message edited by RERomine -- 11/29/2006 5:42:27 AM >

(in reply to Grifman)
Post #: 117
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/29/2006 7:58:10 AM   
Jonathan Palfrey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grifman

I've thought this too for a long time. Lee's victories were impressive but they mostly cost men that the South couldn't afford to lose. Only at Fredericksburg was the attrition ratio acceptable to the South. They needed to fight more battles on the defensive in prepared positions. Admittedly, to do this consistently probably requires some cooperation from your opponent.

quote:

ORIGINAL: RERomine
If the Confederacy could have moved troops to the East to get regional superiority, just think of what Lee could have done.

But getting regional superiority in the East would have required abandoning the West completely -- perhaps politically impossible as well as strategically alarming. And supporting so many troops in the East could have been a logistical nightmare for the South (the North was better equipped for that sort of thing).

< Message edited by Jonathan Palfrey -- 11/29/2006 8:01:54 AM >

(in reply to Grifman)
Post #: 118
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/29/2006 8:46:58 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jonathan Palfrey
I've thought this too for a long time. Lee's victories were impressive but they mostly cost men that the South couldn't afford to lose. Only at Fredericksburg was the attrition ratio acceptable to the South. They needed to fight more battles on the defensive in prepared positions. Admittedly, to do this consistently probably requires some cooperation from your opponent. In Lee's defense, he faced a tough strategic situation. He didn't have much "strategic depth" to work with, and Richmond was not only the Capitol, but also a major industrial center. Sometimes "giving ground" wasn't the optimal solution. Once he had no choice but to fight defensively (1864 vs. Grant) he still performed "prodigies", but was winning his way to defeat. In 1862 and 1863 his manuevers and attacks had been able to keep the Union from gaining any ground at all.

But getting regional superiority in the East would have required abandoning the West completely -- perhaps politically impossible as well as strategically alarming. And supporting so many troops in the East could have been a logistical nightmare for the South (the North was better equipped for that sort of thing).
Dead On. Perfect example is Chancellorsville, where Lee's army had two full divisions detached to where they could be fed, and unavailable for the fight. Logistics is the bane and demise of lots of good "paper plans".

Post #: 119
RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? - 11/29/2006 9:25:51 AM   
Texican

Let me make one thing clear: Lee's victories correlate mostly with Stonewall Jackson's victories. Lee was largely victorious when he had Stonewall Jackson around. After ol' Stonewall passed on, Lee started losing.

I wonder just how much of Lee's success can be attributed to having someone like General Jackson as a subordinate.

(in reply to Oldguard)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Did the South have any chance of victory ? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI