Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/17/2006 10:17:17 AM   
scout1

OK, so I'm slow, is this tool destined for AI play ONLY ? Or will us poor ole pbem gamers ever get to benefit from it as well, you know, those of us with "complex" passwords".

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 61
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/17/2006 8:00:52 PM   
Woos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helpless
Now I'm getting the error:

java.sql.SQLException: Integrity constraint violation - no parent SYS_FK_162 tab
le: ShipClasses
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.Util.sqlException(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcStatement.fetchResult(Unknown Source)

OK, Problem is ca. 3/4 of WitpDecoder and ca. 1/4 by CHS. It is caused by the upgrade relationship in the ship classes. Stock always upgrades upwards but in CHS "Ballard" class (1356) upgrades downwards to Manley class (1325). Since this never happens in stock I didn't put the reordering SELECTs in I added for the aircraft classes (which do some downward upgrading even in stock). Will work in the next version. Now lets see what other errors I get with the files Helpless sent.

In general I would like to ask scenario designers to try to avoid downward upgrading. witpDecoder needs the ship classes (and also aircraft classes and devices) ordered according to a partial order on the upgrade relationship. I can do some limited reordering but since SQL does not support recursion arbitrary levels of downward upgrading can not be supported (example: If 1356 upgraded to 1325 which then upgraded to 1326 which again upgraded to 1327,3 levels of reordering would be needed. So it doesn't even have to look like downward upgrading to cause problems.). Also not doing downward upgrading is an automatic safeguard against forming upgrade cycles ;-)

Concerning the complaint that PBEM players are currently not able to use the tool:
This is an early release of a not yet ready program (because some guys in the War room wanted to have it). Bugs were to be expected (especially for features I don't use). The password issue is fixed locally so you will be able to use the next version I release. But as can be seen in this thread even AI players have several problems when using this tool. Unless these are fixed I see no good reason in releasing a new version just to get more reports on the same bugs. If you want more reasons why you can't use it, see V0.1 as a beta test phase from which all PBEM players have been excluded.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 62
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/17/2006 8:24:55 PM   
Ron Saueracker

Pretty noble effort! Hope you keep plugging away.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 63
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/17/2006 8:39:03 PM   
ny59giants

Six months from now when the "learning curve" (bugs) have been mostly worked out, most Japanese players will wonder how they ever played the game without it.
Hopefully, you will also have an Allied version out....Wink, Wink, Nod, Nod

Anything that cuts back on paper trail and spread sheets to decrease the micro-managing is appreciated.

Many of these will lifted in your name.

< Message edited by ny59giants -- 11/18/2006 12:51:41 AM >

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 64
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/17/2006 10:08:42 PM   
6971grunt

WOW - this is amazing It certainly is long overdue Woos. I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. Will it run with Windows [I assume it does]?
2. On the "Leaders" tab, have you considered posting information about the commander being best suited for a Carrier TF, Surface TF, Assault HQ, Air HQ, etc?
3. Does this work for commander [i.e., Admiral to LCmdr]?
4. Where will I be able to get this when its ready for PBEM?

Something like this can only help - great job - waiting for the small print.

< Message edited by grunt6971 -- 11/17/2006 10:14:53 PM >

"Over?! It's not over until we say it's over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!" John Blutarsky from the Movie "Animal House"

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 65
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/17/2006 10:19:17 PM   
scout1

Woos, my apologies if I came across as complaining ... your previous postings lead this dumb ole Hillybilly to think that pbem was to be excluded forever on purpose. My bad read. Yes, I know about beta's and bugs. I helped (in a small way) with Bodhi's tool in the early day as a "know nothing monkey". If I couldn't break it, it was good to go ;>
If there is ever any way I can help (I don't know **** about programing), just let me know......

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 66
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/18/2006 8:44:17 AM   
FeurerKrieg

Same here Woos. My comments were not negative at all, I just wasn't clear on if you were planning to make PBEM work in the future. I can wait as long as it takes (I'll be playing most of my PBEM's a few years I'm sure).

THanks for all your efforts!

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 67
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/18/2006 10:56:42 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

Does it work for PBEM?
And if so, does it only show the data for the player that has entered the correct password?

[I haven't installed it so I can't read README.]

Michael I was wondering about same thing as well...

Any response on this (I searched this thread but didn't find full answer)?

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.
How is it going in new role Michael (Congrats!)?

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 68
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/18/2006 11:19:49 AM   
Oliver Heindorf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

Does it work for PBEM?
And if so, does it only show the data for the player that has entered the correct password?

[I haven't installed it so I can't read README.]

Michael I was wondering about same thing as well...

Any response on this (I searched this thread but didn't find full answer)?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woos

Concerning the complaint that PBEM players are currently not able to use the tool:
This is an early release of a not yet ready program (because some guys in the War room wanted to have it). Bugs were to be expected (especially for features I don't use). The password issue is fixed locally so you will be able to use the next version I release. But as can be seen in this thread even AI players have several problems when using this tool. Unless these are fixed I see no good reason in releasing a new version just to get more reports on the same bugs. If you want more reasons why you can't use it, see V0.1 as a beta test phase from which all PBEM players have been excluded.

< Message edited by Oliver Heindorf -- 11/18/2006 11:25:27 AM >

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 69
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/18/2006 11:56:30 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oliver Heindorf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woos

Thanks for info!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Oliver Heindorf)
Post #: 70
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/18/2006 2:39:58 PM   
Woos

quote:

I wrote:
In general I would like to ask scenario designers to try to avoid downward upgrading.

*cough* CHS needs 5 levels of reordering for the aircraft classes. *cough*
OK, now aircraft classes are read in in a way which allows arbitrary levels of reordering (and uses quite a bit more time than before). So scenario designers can ignore the above request.

Also there seems to be another problem with CHS or with WitP. In a first turn save with no actions done, the captain assigned to the Shinano (leaderID=6720) has vanished from the save file although Shinano still references him. In the .csv files generated by witpload everything looks normal. Looks like a WitP bug to me. Further inquiries on the circumstanced of that bug (version, etc.) to Helpless. WitpDecoder is now working around such things also and assigns Mr. "I.ComeFromUsnavy" also to ships/TFs/LCUs which have no existing leader.

And now for the good news. An update to witpDecoder is available from http://extweb.retsiemuab.de/witp/witpDecoder2.jar . Overwrite the existing jar with it. "Complex" passwords should work now as well as CHS and leaderbug-infected games. A full .zip release (with new version number, the above still claims to be V0.1) will be done, once Ship History is working and the documentation is a bit updated. Then I will probably have to go for support of Allies if I want to avoid to be tared and feathered. So JFB, relish the next ca. 2 weeks where only you have the tool ;-)

Other questions:

• Yes, no password, no game access.
  • It runs everywhere (OK, maybe not everywhere, SWT seems to have some minor problems on MacOS X).
  • Instead of using the predefined "best suited for XXXX" categories of WitP (which IMHO are not very useful) you can query Leaders according to your preferences with the "good at" Query.
  • I don't understand the "Does this work for commander [i.e., Admiral to LCmdr]" question.
  • The fine print? Ah, you mean the contract to be signed with your blood requiring you to say "Java good! C## bad!" everytime you start the tool? And on Sundays of course an additional "Linux good! Windows bad!" might be in order ;-)

< Message edited by Woos -- 11/18/2006 2:45:05 PM >

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 71
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/18/2006 3:53:06 PM   
scout1

Woos,

You rule .....

Now for the silly questions .....

The original WitpDecoder zip file had 12 files contained within it, 3 of which were *.jar extensions. The WitpDecoder2 zip file has alot of files, all but one is a *.class extension with the loner being a *.mf file. I haven't loaded the original one yet and was wondering as to the proper method to get it and the update running ......

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 72
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/18/2006 4:52:03 PM   
Woos

quote:

ORIGINAL: scout1
The original WitpDecoder zip file had 12 files contained within it, 3 of which were *.jar extensions. The WitpDecoder2 zip file has alot of files, all but one is a *.class extension with the loner being a *.mf file. I haven't loaded the original one yet and was wondering as to the proper method to get it and the update running ......

There is no WitpDecoder2.zip file, the update is a witpDecoder2.jar which replaces the witpDecoder2.jar from the original distribution.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 73
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/18/2006 4:57:20 PM   
Helpless

Now it works on my CHS game as well. Great work Woos!

And as been said now the program checks for the lost leaders, which is very handy.During the test Shinano's cpt vanished just after the first save, nothing been done before. I got 3 vanished leaders in my 7 turn-old game .

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 74
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/18/2006 5:23:20 PM   
scout1

No WitpDecoder2.zip .... Interesting as this is how it came in when I downloaded and saved. Has lots of files *.class and 1 *.mf. Perhaps my system automatically assigned it a *.zip ? When I place my curor over the file, it does have a "Comment : ProGuard version 3.6".

Any insight would be appreciated. Dying to try this out.

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 75
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/18/2006 6:32:26 PM   
scout1

bump ... Hasn't this happened to anyone else ? *.zip instead of *.jar ?

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 76
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/18/2006 8:27:38 PM   
Thilo

quote:

bump ... Hasn't this happened to anyone else ? *.zip instead of *.jar ?

Yes, happened to me as well. Renamed that file as *.jar and it's working - at least to the point where I get lots of error windows popping up. But this will be a great tool within a short time I think. Looking forward to further developments.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 77
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/18/2006 9:21:01 PM   
Woos

quote:

Hasn't this happened to anyone else ? *.zip instead of *.jar ?

As can be clearly seen from the URL (http://extweb.retsiemuab.de/witp/witpDecoder2.jar) what you download is a .jar file. Now your browser might think he is smarter than he should be and apply WinZip (or whatever) to the download since in the end .jar-files are a special kind of .zip-files. Then there are three possibilities: 1) Don't use Internet Explorer. 2) Do a RMB-Click and then "Save to disk" 3) Do what Thilo recommended.

BTW, Thilo, if the error windows contain Exceptions (recognizeable by the long list of java classes listed in the window) they are caused by a program problem. They will not go away until fixed. Best possibility to get them fixed is posting the exception here.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helpless
I got 3 vanished leaders in my 7 turn-old game

Note that the save game reader of witpDecoder can not distinguish between leaders that are completely missing and leaders that have the wrong nationality (both trigger the same integrity constraint). So the 3 leaders have not necessarily vanished. You might be suffering from an acute attack of Allied leaders deserting to the Japanese. You can distinguish it in-game. If the leader is vanished, it will only show "WO". Otherwise some english sounding leader name should be visible.

< Message edited by Woos -- 11/18/2006 9:30:40 PM >

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 78
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/18/2006 9:31:30 PM   
Helpless

yes, you are right. by "vanished" i meant replaced by USN captains.

Pavel Zagzin

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 79
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/18/2006 9:34:34 PM   
scout1

ok, making progress (i think ...)

Renamed the file back to *.jar and copied it over the previous one.

Created a new sub-drirectory (witp/save/myanal005) and ran witpload for s015. Waxed all the 015 designators and but these in this subdirectory. Edited *.bat file to add my password. Fired up *.bat and got windows/tabs, but no data whatsoever. I'm sure I've missed something. But what ?

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 80
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/18/2006 9:58:54 PM   
Woos

quote:

Fired up *.bat and got windows/tabs, but no data whatsoever. I'm sure I've missed something. But what ?

What would you normally do to load something (like a save game). Do it here also ;-)
Or maybe you forgot to speak out the "Java good! C## bad!" mantra (see post 71)

< Message edited by Woos -- 11/18/2006 10:09:31 PM >

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 81
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/18/2006 10:05:39 PM   
scout1

All great journeys occur one step at a time ..... Did it and got ALL kind of exceptions in a typical windows pop up that 1) won't let me copy it and 2) says "OK" (that really pisses me off).

Suggestions ?

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 82
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/18/2006 10:21:15 PM   
scout1

Does the save game file have to be in the sub directory ?

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 83
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/18/2006 10:47:49 PM   
Woos

quote:

Did it and got ALL kind of exceptions in a typical windows pop up that 1) won't let me copy it and 2) says "OK" (that really pisses me off).

Grummel, on Linux (where I'm developing the thing) these windows do allow their content to be copied.
OK new version of witpDecoder2.jar is online (under the URL shown above) which is back to printing errors to the console so they can be copied (special bonus: The industry tab has some first content: Spoilage overview).

If you are getting multiple exceptions, did you use the correct scenario for witpload to generate your .csv files? See post 58. Also normally the first exception (note: "exception" not "error message") should end the loading process and throw you back to the empty window.

Save game can of course be anywhere. That's why you get a File-Requester to locate it.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 84
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/18/2006 10:58:59 PM   
Helpless

quote:

All great journeys occur one step at a time ..... Did it and got ALL kind of exceptions in a typical windows pop up that 1) won't let me copy it and 2) says "OK" (that really pisses me off).

Suggestions ?

Usually all the errors go to the cmd window which could be copied, not the pop up. In worst case you might press "Pint Screen" and copy an image of error.

Pavel Zagzin

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 85
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/18/2006 11:02:15 PM   
scout1

I'm probably hosing things up here ....

Loaded new version of *.jar and tried again. Got same error messages ....

"
couldn't write things to DB due to
java.sgl.SQLException : Numeric Value out of range
at ..... (whole bunch if stuff) ...... "

Still can't copy and paste .... What have I screwed up ? Sc 005 was generated from
sc 015, which us want I'm trying to grab ....

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 86
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/19/2006 12:35:01 AM   
witpqs

How about just make the errors go to a log file?

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 87
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/19/2006 1:42:17 AM   
Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

How about just make the errors go to a log file?

C:\MatrixGames\WITP\SAVE\my_analysis\witpdecoder.bat > Errors.txt

does the same job.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 88
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/19/2006 1:51:59 AM   
Reg

I got the following errors on attempting to load a CHS Scenario 159 about 30 (game) days old using the second version of decoder2.jar.

A standard scenario save file loads just fine for me.

quote:

===== Listing of errors on WitpDecoder load ====

F:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\SAVE\WitpDecoder-Save18Scen159>echo off
WitP-Decoder V0.1 (C) 2006 by M.Baumeister. Please wait!
TF7017 has probably been hit by a leader bug and is led by no or a foreign officer.
Get that fixed!
In the mean time I'm using a replacement officer.
TF7018 has probably been hit by a leader bug and is led by no or a foreign officer.
Get that fixed!
TF7062 has probably been hit by a leader bug and is led by no or a foreign officer.
Get that fixed!
TF7154 has probably been hit by a leader bug and is led by no or a foreign officer.
Get that fixed!
Couldn't write things to the DB due to java.sql.SQLException: Integrity constraint
violation - no parent SYS_FK_136 table: BaseStatus
<<list of java error references>>

==== Extracts from witp.script (which creates WitpDecoder database) ====

CREATE CACHED TABLE "BaseStatus"("baseID" SMALLINT DEFAULT 0 NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY, ...

CREATE CACHED TABLE "TFStatus"(... ,"homeHarborID" SMALLINT DEFAULT 0 NOT NULL, ... ,CONSTRAINT SYS_FK_136 FOREIGN KEY("homeHarborID") REFERENCES "BaseStatus"("baseID") ON DELETE CASCADE,

==== Conclusion ====

My save game file contains a Task Force with a non-existent home base!! (plus the usual leader bugs)

If Woos agrees with this conclusion, I think it may put a pressure on Andrew and the team to make sure the CHS scenarios are totally consistant (Sorry about that).

I will now trawl though the game and see if I can identify the errant Task Force.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 89
RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! - 11/19/2006 2:02:55 AM   
Helpless

I have no problem to run witpdecoder on CHS. If later on it got screwed by the game code itself , nothing could be done by scenario developers.

Pavel Zagzin

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: New tool: WitpDecoder; No more spreadsheets! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI