Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 6:13:04 AM   
Gil R.

Since I never got to build that fort in Shenandoah that was intended to keep the province from falling as soon as the enemy enters, I am forced to leave some troops there. So, I leave behind the 8th Division, which has brigades that are not too badly depleted. Now if the Union army in Cumberland tries to enter it will encounter this division, and the ANV will get a chance to reinforce.

This winter building a fort there has got to be a priority.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 241
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 6:16:08 AM   
Gil R.

Here's how Tennessee looks. Since my two corps didn't move as far as instructed they are in Lower Tennesse River -- poised to attack the Union army, or to sneak past it. I also have a division (the one originally sent from the ANV) in the Upper Tennessee River, and I'm going to use that to start flipping provinces back to CSA red.

And over in Chattanooga, that second Raiders unit is ready to be used against the invaders.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 242
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 6:24:28 AM   
Gil R.

Here's Mississippi. The siege of Jackson is progressing, but the city is not close to collapse. That Union army evidently is planning to invade the trans-Mississippi area. There's nothing too important there, but if it flips enough provinces there will be a significant loss of income, since even provinces with no cities produce 2 Money per turn -- and that can add up. So for starters, that army has entered the Arkansas-Mississippi River province, which has no fort and falls right away.

The good thing is that the enemy is creating a path only one province wide, which means that its supply lines can be cut at a single point -- all I have to do, say, is put a division in Oxford and it reverts to CSA control and rail supply is cut off, and also reinforcements will not reach these brigades. So I'll have to try to do that, but am aware that the Union knows this and will try to make plans to prevent this from happening. Still, the longer the chain of blue provinces becomes, the harder it will be for the Union to prevent CSA divisions and corps from breaking that chain. And while the Union's brigades will be able to partly subsist through forage, there will be a substantial loss of men and disposition once they're out of supply.

So, if I play this right I can destroy the invading forces with minimum casualties to my own forces.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 243
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 6:28:53 AM   
Gil R.

Here is the area into which the Union army appears to be heading. There's Little Rock, which because of the unrest is no longer producing any income, and Shreveport, which has little of value. Also, Texas is out this way, with Austin and Galveston being relatively unimportant cities. Still, every province represents income, so I can't afford to lose these all.

In Shreveport, the pink chit represents the Partisans unit that will be ready next turn -- just in time to mess with that army's supplies. (If you look at the bottom of the screenshot, you'll see an identical pink chit with a vertical line next to it. That's the production queue, in which the number of vertical lines represents the number of turns until a unit is ready.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 244
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 6:31:40 AM   
Gil R.

Since that army container I've been waiting for will be ready next turn I send the 4th and 5th Infantry, which originated in Knoxville, into Mobile, so that when the container appears I can put them in it and send it to join up with the two western corps. (Empty corps containers get destroyed if they encounter the enemy, so think of this as two brigades of roughly 4000 men protecting some staff officers.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 245
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 6:35:41 AM   
Gil R.

Now it's time to start moving my Tennesse forces in such a way that they can cut off supplies to the invading forces and then destroy them.

The first step is to move the 4th Division into Oxford and return it to CSA control.

I recognize that the enemy forces in Hatchie might already be heading to Oxford (though I doubt it, since Hatchie is a key point in the supply line, plus move two corps must be something of a distraction), so I set the division to "Avoid Battle," so that it has a chance of escaping any harm if that giant army lands on it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 246
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 6:39:32 AM   
Gil R.

Having learned my lesson, I decide not to risk my two corps by attacking the Union army in its own territory. Instead, I'll head south and disrupt the invasion

One of the corps, the 4th Corps, has a "Great" logistical rating, which means that rather than losing 5% of its men through march attrition it loses just 2.5%. So, since I had to use up so many railroad points moving the ANV, I send this corps by foot into Tuscumbia.

My goal in this and the other movements is to try to get the Union out of position, so that it's forced to fight me in CSA territory. My next moves will show the trap I'm trying to prepare.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 247
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 6:43:48 AM   
Gil R.

The 1st Corps only has a "Fair" logistics rating, so I try to have it travel by rail for part of the way, and foot the rest of the way. My hope is that it can reach Huntsville. (I avoid sending it into Tuscumbia in order to avoid the additional march attrition.)

Since I don't want to risk getting into a fight, I put both corps into "Avoid Battle" mode. It's just a precaution, in case the Union army tries to attack them in Lower Tennessee River, or happens into one of these corps while it's moving.

I should also point out that by putting these corps here they'll be closer to that army corps container when it's brought up by rail.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 248
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 6:46:35 AM   
Gil R.

A flaw in my plan suddenly hits me: if the Union army happens to enter Hatchie and the 4th Division that I sent there fails to avoid battle, the corps in adjacent Tuscumbia will be called in to reinforce but not the one in Huntsville, so I'll have a corps of 50,000 fighting an army of at least 70,000 (by my estimate) on Union territory -- a potential disaster.

So, I tell the 4th Division to go into Yazoo, where it will also be able to cut the supply line.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 249
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 6:49:26 AM   
Gil R.

Then I get another idea. The Union learned its lesson last time it attack Fort Donelson, so I think I can shrink that garrison a little and not run a risk. As you may recall, that fort has two garrison units, plus a division container with a general and two infantry brigades. Since one needs a container unit to flip territory back to CSA control, I leave one brigade of 3000 men in the division and send it into Paducah, just to mess with the Union a little.

From there, it will be able to enter Missouri and flip a few more provinces.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 250
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 6:52:39 AM   
Gil R.

Before ending the turn I finally spend some resources. First, I have more than enough Horses to build a Camp, which I put in Augusta. I also build a Plantation in South Carolina, since Plantations let one build four more buildings and right now I have just two more building slots left in that state. (Experience has taught me that one must always have at least one building slot left in a state, since if a governor asks for a building and it is impossible to build it then the governor's Attitude will drop, and this could have been prevented.) I also build Mints in Austin and Montgomery, using my Iron surplus to help alleviate my monetary problems.

After hitting "End Turn" I have both Raiders try to steal weapons, since I need to rearm the ANV, and then I get to promote Gen. Wheeler to corps commander.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 251
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 7:16:25 AM   
Gil R.

Oh, one more thing: I didn't post a screenshot of the ANV's strength before the invasion, so here it is, for "before and after" comparisons.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 252
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 7:27:55 AM   
Gil R.

I forgot to add something very important. In addition to building the Camp, Mints and Plantation, I purchase the Brigade Artillery attribute for the garrison unit in Tallahassee and another in Little Rock. Since it looks reasonably certain that these cities are about to be besieged by the Union, this is the best way to defend these cities -- Brigade Artillery causes 50% more damage for units defending from a fort or city.

It's a shame to spend 20 Money and 40 Iron on units that are usually far from the line of fire, but once the two incursions are repelled I can always move these garrisons to more important forts or cities.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 253
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 9:53:44 AM   
Gil R.

Twenty-fourth Turn

Things get even more interesting this turn, and I think I'm now in a much better position to beat back the invasion using the two western corps. No matter what, it appears that at least one big battle in the west will occur within the next two turns.

First things first, though: the Event Report.

That battle out east sure turned the tables in terms of Victory Points, with the USA now doing better as a result. But in a few turns, if the Union's western forces get a bit bloodied, those numbers are sure to change again.

In Jackson, the siege is continuing. The Union is again using the Encirclement option, which, unfortunately, won't lead to as many casualties. Still, the city's defensive strength is at 80% and its garrison is still over 6000, so it should last for at least two more turns -- and by then, I think I will have been able to relieve it.

Also, that small division up north managed to avoid battle, which means that, unexpectedly, it encountered an enemy force on its way to Paducah.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 11/18/2006 9:57:34 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 254
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 10:03:27 AM   
Gil R.

Of all the irritating things, my garrison in Tallahassee got hit by a bit of disease -- just when it will need all its strength to counter the Union's upcoming siege.

In the last turn I had set the Army of Northern Virginia to "Normal Supply," to ensure not only that its supply levels would rise, but also that it would receive all (or most) of the 5000 reinforcements. I checked the Supply Report and that's what happened, so the ANV and the division in Shenandoah gained 5000 men -- or one third of the casualties from the recent battle.

In Tennessee, the governor is asking me for a University, which is something I simply can't deliver because it costs 250 Money, and would be a waste unless I then built research institutions in whichever city gets it, and those would all cost 75 Money each. So, at the risk of angering him, I'll have to ignore this request and take whatever he dishes out.

My staff officers continue to improve in quality, thanks to good leaders at the top. Those ratings could make a big difference at some point.

Finally, one of my blockade-runners fleets takes some damage, so I send it to New Orleans and the shipyard there for a turn of repairs. At six strength there is a danger that it could be destroyed next time it encounters danger, but that's almost certain not to happen at seven strength.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 255
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 10:13:30 AM   
Gil R.

I haven't shown the Nation Screen in a while. That net income (5 Money!) is brutal, but that's mainly because the whole ANV is on "Normal Supply," which costs 2 Money/brigade and .5 Labor each turn rather than 1 Money and 0 Labor.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 256
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 10:15:48 AM   
Gil R.

Here's Virginia. Nothing much out of the ordinary.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 257
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 10:19:16 AM   
Gil R.

I make only one move in the Virginia theater. Discovering that way back in the early turns I had stuck a division container in Knoxville, I remove that container and send it to Lynchburg so that I can pick up an extra brigade, which I then send to Kenawaha. If all these moves occur, next turn I'll be able to reclaim Grafton and then Parkersburg as CSA territory, and get back the income I've been missing there all these turns. (Until the Union takes them back, I guess.)

I really wish I had thought of this earlier.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 258
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 10:21:27 AM   
Gil R.

Here's Florida. Sure enough, Tallahassee is about to be besieged.

I hope that Brigade Artillery I bought surprises the enemy.

I also hope that disease strikes. Disease and some six-pounders would go a long way towards teaching the Union not to be so adventurous.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 259
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 10:27:41 AM   
Gil R.

Here's western Tennessee and points south. My two corps were able to evade the Union successfully -- and as the presence of that giant army in Lower Tennessee River shows, the Union tried to attack them, assuming that I wasn't going to move them away. This is excellent news, since it puts the Union's main western force out of position -- no matter where I decide to send my corps, they can get there first.

My small division in Cumberland River almost ran into that army on its way to Paducah, but avoided battle -- as the Event Report had stated.

The Union clearly recognizes the importance of holding on to its supply lines, as the presence of that underwhelmingly staffed army container demonstrates. That's hardly a worth target for the Raiders there in Hatchie, so they'll be moving soon.

Speaking of Raiders, the new unit formed in Chattanooga didn't get all the way to Jackson, but should have no trouble reaching there this coming turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 11/18/2006 10:40:38 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 260
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 10:30:44 AM   
Gil R.

Here's how the map looks if one heads south.

I was wrong about that army container in Mobile -- it will be done next turn, whereas I thought it would be ready now.

Of greater immediate importance, that division in Yazoo reclaimed the province for the CSA, and by being stationed there is cutting off all rail supply to the corps besieging Jackson. If I could continue to keep it cut off for 2-3 more turns the corps would be in serious trouble, but I have a hunch that the Union will want to have a say in that.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 261
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 10:34:56 AM   
Gil R.

Here's the trans-Mississippi theater.

As I expected, the Union army headed to Little Rock, so it will begin a siege this turn, facing two garrisoning brigades, one of which has Brigade Artillery.

That Partisans unit was completed in Shreveport, but unfortunately it can only move two provinces per turn, so it can't make it to Little Rock. Therefore, I send it to Napoleon, from which it will be in a perfect position either to head to Little Rock or to cross the Mississippi and help out at Jackson.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 262
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 10:42:15 AM   
Gil R.

My first move is to send the 4th Corps by rail to Jackson three provinces away. If it gets there this turn -- and there's a good chance it will -- it will arrive as a superior force that outnumbers the enemy by about 30,000 when combined with Jackson's garrison.

I decide to leave that division in Yazoo, so that if the Union corps is defeated it will have to retreat away from the other Union forces (since I'm about to send the 1st Corps to Meridian. Plus, if I send that division to Oxford it would still be cutting rail supplies, but would be in striking distance of the Union army to the north, which could easily crush it.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 11/18/2006 10:46:50 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 263
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 10:46:45 AM   
Gil R.

I then try to send the 1st Corps from Huntsville all the way to Meridian, partly by rail and partly by foot (since I have insufficient railroad movement points).

The corps might not make it that far, but if it doesn't it will be in a prime position to strike Jackson next turn. And if the 4th Corps reaches Jackson and drives off the Union corps, if the 1st Corps ends up stopping in Tuscaloosa rather than reaching Meridian it will be able to strike the Union corps next turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 264
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 10:50:55 AM   
Gil R.

Up north, I decide to use that tiny division in order to try to flip some Union provinces. There is a Union brigade that just appeared in Bowling Green (presumably sent by rail from Maryland rather than freshly created), but it seems almost certain that it's destination is Hatchie, which would permit the larger army to move south and engage my forces.

So, instead of having my division head straight into Bowling Green, possibly encountering that larger division, I send mine by foot into Sparta and then Bowling Green, intending that the detour will let the enemy division pass before my division enters the province and turns it red.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 265
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 10:54:41 AM   
Gil R.

Before ending the turn, I purchase a Plantation for Richmond, since Virginia's building slots are almost all filled up. I don't spend my other resources, since at best I could buy a few Minie Rifles for some brigades. But I'm still toying with the idea of buying expensive guns for my ironclads and massacring that Union fleet that's supplying the Union force in Florida, and next turn I'll have enough Guns saved up (120) for the really big Dahlgren gun.

At the end of the turn, I promote Longstreet to 3-stars. He's in the western theater but I need him to take over one of the ANV corps that lost its commander last turn. So, this coming turn I'll have to send him by rail back east ASAP.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 266
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 6:20:37 PM   
Grotius

Fun.

A nitpicky point: the emancipation screen mentions a "15% that" CSA states will stand down. Is it intended to read "15% chance that ..."?

Also, I note you've gained battle "experience" a couple times, but the Union hasn't. Is this working as intended?

And, since I'm picking nits: a governor says "he insists [item]." Should this read "he insists on [item]"? It's probably ok as is, but just thought I'd bring it to your attention.

< Message edited by Grotius -- 11/18/2006 6:25:20 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 267
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/18/2006 10:10:37 PM   
Gil R.

Thanks on all three points. Eric can respond regarding the experience points question, and if it's not too late might be able to implement the textual changes.

Regarding experience points, as I recall there is a chance, not a guarantee, that being in a large battle will produce them, but I might be wrong.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 268
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/19/2006 2:56:44 AM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.
Shenandoah gets 14. Rappahanock is getting none -- I'm not sure why.

The U.S. fort there.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 269
RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! - 11/19/2006 2:59:52 AM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Fun.

A nitpicky point: the emancipation screen mentions a "15% that" CSA states will stand down. Is it intended to read "15% chance that ..."?

Also, I note you've gained battle "experience" a couple times, but the Union hasn't. Is this working as intended?

Yes the Union will also gain Exp from battles, depends on the outcome, and better chance if they are the winning side I believe

And, since I'm picking nits: a governor says "he insists [item]." Should this read "he insists on [item]"? It's probably ok as is, but just thought I'd bring it to your attention.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: PBEM AAR - It Ain't a Lost Cause Yet! Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI