Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Too Many Walks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker >> Too Many Walks Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Too Many Walks - 11/21/2006 7:04:00 AM   
HuachucaThunder

Hey all,

For give me if this has been coved, but I have looked and could not find anything about it in the forum here.

My problem is the pitchers I have are issuing way to many walks. Most of my potchers have CON ratings of at least 75. I know the sim is based on career stats, but most of my pitchers are not known for excessive walks. For example, I have Bret Saberhagen on my staff and he has a CON rating of 100. In 3 starts he has issued 18 walks. I also have Jimmy Key and Greg Maddux and combined they have issued 15 and 12 respectively in 3 starts. Now, something is not right with this. How could pitchers that have a high control rating be issuing this many walks? Is there some setting somewhere I have not found?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Too Many Walks - 11/21/2006 7:47:54 AM   
XCom

Well, 3 starts each is not a very large sample. Is this a league-wide problem? I would sim/play at least a couple of months worth of games before you make any blanket statements or major changes. Sometimes short term trends do not pan out over the long term. Report back after some more play and let us know if the problem is still there.

(in reply to HuachucaThunder)
Post #: 2
RE: Too Many Walks - 11/21/2006 11:38:26 AM   
HuachucaThunder

Okay, I could only tolerate it up to the midway point of the season, so to speak.

I have read the threads of the ungodly strikeout totals, and that also is just hard to fathom in a sim game that is based on seasonal and lifetime stats.

Now, my concern is the inflated stats already here. Just my team alone (drafted, not original team rosters) is crazy.

Bret Saberhagen 7-8 3.56 92.2 IP 110 hits (that I can live with) but when he has 42 Ks and get this 142 walks? For a pitcher that had always been noted for decent control? And Maddux in 101 IP he has 122 walks? Come on now. And how about some inflated stats from around the league.

Speedsters Fred McGriff and Ron Cey leading the league in triples with 15 and 12 respectively? Perennial Sluggers like Ozzie Smith and Tommy Herr with 25+ homeruns?
And two others speedsters, Mark McGwire and Cecil Fielder with 38 stolen bases apiece? And this is the half way point here. Harold Baines with an arm rating of 100? Now that just makes me laugh. I have been a White Sox fan forever, and he NEVER had more than an average arm..Oh and then we have contact hitter Matt Nokes leading the league with a .388 BA? I don't think he hit over 300 his entire career. Oh, how about power pitchers like Steve Trout and Jim Clancy among the top 3 in strikeouts with over 200 each? Or control artist Bobby Witt with close to the least walks issued with 24 in 87+ innings. I could go on and on, but the more I see these stats here, it becomes somewhat nauseating. Now, don't get me wrong, this is a fun game in it's own sense, but as for an accurate sim as it was made out to be? I find that somewhat a stretch.

Now no offense here, but when running a simulation based on stats, I was ALWAYS under the impression that it should come out somewhat realistic. Maybe a few differences in performances here and there, but pretty much across the board? Even though I have just started playing, something seems a bit out of sync here. Whether it is the formula that is being used to determine the players ratings or just the stat engine itself, it is just somewhat disappointing. I was looking for an alternative to OOTP and Strat-O-Matic. And judging by the reviews that I read from those who do that sort of thing and also those who have played the game, I though I had found something that could possibly put those to shame.

Be well, and thanks for the rant

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 3
RE: Too Many Walks - 11/21/2006 4:33:23 PM   
XCom

Wow. Those are some crazy numbers. Can you tell me which patched version of the game you are running? Typically, stat output from Puresim is very good...especially for replay leagues. As an example, take a look through this thread to see:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1143121

I'm wondering if maybe you had a corrupt import from the Lahman database or even if the database itself is corrupted. I would suggest maybe reinstalling the game from scratch and then re-importing your replay league fresh.

The strikeout problem that you mentioned seems to be related to a certain feature incorporated into a recent patch. I would suggest for the best results to use the last official patch v1.20 because that is known to be stable and give very good results. Any patch after that is still a beta and possibly could have some issues.

Post #: 4
RE: Too Many Walks - 11/21/2006 5:35:07 PM   
HuachucaThunder

I will try to do that. Yes, the numbers I posted at the mid point of the season were crazy.
Question? If I got a bad import from the Lahman database, then that would mean that the whole file is corrupted from the Matrix site from which I purchased and downloaded the game. But of course, instead of something being corrupted, perhaps a file(s) did not read correctly or even copy correctly during the download.

But I will try to uninstall and then reload once again and then use the v1.20 patch as you suggested. Thanks for your help on this matter. I would just hate to scrap the game after buying it and not really being able to enjoy it.

Be well

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 5
RE: Too Many Walks - 11/21/2006 7:06:28 PM   
XCom

Well, I'm guessing that it might be a corrupted file from the install not the download. But, if this problem recurs I would not hesitate to re-download from the Matrix site.

Don't think that this is a common problem with the game. Usualy the statistical results are very good. I've personally experienced it and I'm sure you will too once things are straightened out.

quote:

ORIGINAL: HuachucaThunder

I will try to do that. Yes, the numbers I posted at the mid point of the season were crazy.
Question? If I got a bad import from the Lahman database, then that would mean that the whole file is corrupted from the Matrix site from which I purchased and downloaded the game. But of course, instead of something being corrupted, perhaps a file(s) did not read correctly or even copy correctly during the download.

But I will try to uninstall and then reload once again and then use the v1.20 patch as you suggested. Thanks for your help on this matter. I would just hate to scrap the game after buying it and not really being able to enjoy it.

Be well

Post #: 6
RE: Too Many Walks - 11/22/2006 12:06:07 AM   
HuachucaThunder

Just thought I would drop a line to give an update. I totally unistalled and then reinstalled the game, including the v1.20 patch set. I redid the draft but made a few changes in the number of players on the roster. Before I was using the 70 player roster to be able to fill the minors and such. Now I am using the basic 35 player roster comprised of only the real players. thus far I have nothing to complain about, except that my team is not scoring. But that is not the point here. I have had no outrageous stats come up 2 months into the season. I have Maddux on my roster again and he is pitching as expected. Only issued 8 walks in 5 starts. My league leader in triples has only 4 thus far. My stolen base leader is Raines with 11. And the rest of the stats are pretty much in line. Except I cannot figure out how John Canderlaria has threw 2 shoutouts against me and only allowed 3 hits combined

Anyways, this change I made in the amount of personnel on the rosters. Could there be a problem in corralating the stats when fictional players are added into the mix? I had noticed some of their stats prior to uninstalling the game before and their number were somewhat inflated, especially the "veterans". More walks than strikeouts per innings pitched. And the younger players(fictional) seemed to have outrageous SB pcts and just overall speed performance. Maybe the overall values of the real players stay the same, just something gets adjusted inadvertantly with the fictional players added. Just a thought.

Be well and thanks again for the suggestion and help

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 7
RE: Too Many Walks - 11/22/2006 12:48:39 AM   
KG Erwin

I haven't done enough in-depth study to verify my theories, but I believe there's a correlation between the year (s) being simmed and the roster sizes.

I agree that the mix of fictional/real players has a direct bearing on the veracity of the stats, so I try to keep the rosters populated with ALL real players.

Therefore, for my Golden Age associations (1946-60), I set the rosters at 50, and allow for accelerated draft entry. Now, this automatically skews the stats somewhat, as I now have two 20-year old starters (Robin Roberts and Don Newcombe) in my rotation. Both of them gave up 4 BBs each in their first start. 25-year old Warren Spahn in his two starts has a pitched a CG, 6K, 5 BB.

My Pittsburgh Pirates' major-league roster has an average age of 25.

However, maybe you should be looking close at team ERAs and BAs . I'm in 1946, and MLB's BA is .258, with the ERA at 3.12. It's still April, so it's cold in many of those parks at game time. So, you gotta look at the big picture. Giving up walks doesn't necessarily mean that those guys are gonna score runs.

So, what is your long-term goal? I have established a defined set pattern, which I stubbornly stick with, despite many restarts. I evaluate the PS patches within the confines of this historical era, even though it's an alternate universe.

What I'm saying to you, HT, is you need to define what your expectations are, and set up your PS universe to accomplish that goal. The game is very flexible, and a great degree of customization is possible. The forumers here will help you as much as they can.

PS You can go a long way towards establishing a historical "feel" by importing some of the ballparks from Padres Fan's site : http://web.mac.com/sixwilsons/iWeb/PureSimMods/Main.html

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 11/22/2006 12:54:18 AM >

Post #: 8
RE: Too Many Walks - 11/22/2006 4:30:17 AM   
HuachucaThunder

Hey KG,

Thanks for the reply. Actually I am now becoming quite happy with the replay on my end seeing I have seemingly populated the rosters only with real players. I am actually starting in a year I am familiar with and the expectations of my favorite team was not that high, so I can't actually go wrong and I can use it as a learning season, and then either continue it if I wish or I can just start a new career.

The year is 1986 but I am not using the actually rosters as I did the draft. Thus giving more versatility as to what I am expecting and to also learn the game. I am familiar with a few of the sims out there and eventhough with the intial problem I had, I am becoming quite comfortable with this game. It actually a pretty realistic depictation of what a sim should be. I know since I had drafted the teams and actually not played with the "team" roster, some stats may be different from the real life totals. But that is a given in any game. And even with playing the original team rosters, things like that could happen as well. A middle of the road pitcher is managed properly and he could turn into a Cy Young candidate. The same with a hitter. An average utility or platoon player gets forced into a starting role when someone is hurt or not performing and he goes on a tear for a few months, and all of a sudden you have a breakout year and a potential MVP candidate.

As for my rant earlier about the inaccuracy of the sim, I am sorry. Just was more than a little perplexed as how control pitchers could be walking so many and a variety of othe things.

but once again, thanks for the replies here and the help in solving this issue. It is greatly appreciated.

Be Well

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker >> Too Many Walks Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI