Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Recoving disabled squads

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Recoving disabled squads Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recoving disabled squads - 11/24/2006 3:45:32 AM   
RUPD3658

I had a number of units get the snot beaten out of them by bombardments at Gasmata. They are sitting on about 15x their supply needs but have not recovered at all. Support is sufficiant and they are in range of an HQ at Rabaul. Any ideas what I need to do to get them back on line?

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

Post #: 1
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 11/24/2006 3:47:18 AM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

I had a number of units get the snot beaten out of them by bombardments at Gasmata. They are sitting on about 15x their supply needs but have not recovered at all. Support is sufficiant and they are in range of an HQ at Rabaul. Any ideas what I need to do to get them back on line?

High admin leaders for each unit can help... sometimes... maybe.

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 2
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 11/24/2006 3:52:00 AM   
m10bob

Yeah, I think pompack is right..I believe all replacement (men) originate from the proximity of Higher HQ units and diminish with distance. Until units close to an HQ are fleshed out, replacements needed further out will take longer.
Ergo, a "commando raid" taking place in the middle of that distance might serve to "cut replacements and supplies" to units in extreme front line units..?

< Message edited by m10bob -- 11/24/2006 3:57:09 AM >

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 3
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 11/24/2006 4:03:48 AM   
2ndACR

move them back to a non malarial base.........Truk. They will recover alot quicker. But I have had divisions take 3+ months to recover from the PI campaigns.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 4
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 11/24/2006 4:27:10 AM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

move them back to a non malarial base.........Truk. They will recover alot quicker. But I have had divisions take 3+ months to recover from the PI campaigns.

Very true.. a non-hostile base will help a lot.. wether is Malaria, artic or whatever... it will help a lot. Most units at a hostile base will never recover above 75-85% of their strength due to problems from their base - cold, disease, etc...

Get them somewhere nice, with lots of supply, support and a friendly HQ will help as well.

Xargun

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 5
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 11/24/2006 4:59:52 AM   
RUPD3658

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

Very true.. a non-hostile base will help a lot.. wether is Malaria, artic or whatever... it will help a lot. Most units at a hostile base will never recover above 75-85% of their strength due to problems from their base - cold, disease, etc...

Get them somewhere nice, with lots of supply, support and a friendly HQ will help as well.

Xargun

I should have clarified that the bombardments were from ships. Until recently I held the base uncontested. Plenty of supply and support.

I am not talking about receiving replacements but simply repairing the disabled units in the formations.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 6
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 11/24/2006 8:25:31 AM   
RUPD3658

Here's something weird. KDonovan took Gastmata this turn and forced my troops into the woods. They still have a supply line to Rabaul and now some of the disabled squdas are getting fixed.

Strange that they can repair in the woods after being routed but can't do this at a supply laden base.

Just another quirk to the game but that is what keeps it fun.

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 7
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 11/24/2006 2:49:36 PM   
m10bob

"Strange that they can repair in the woods after being routed but can't do this at a supply laden base"

They are raiding the enemy icebox!!!

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 8
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 11/24/2006 4:06:18 PM   
ny59giants

The HQ radius may be more important than you think on the recovery of squads.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 9
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 11/24/2006 5:20:05 PM   
Tetsuo

Strange things happening to me as well, I rescued most of the part of 2 brigades and put them in a base with their HQ and loads of supply. No replacements for 1½ months.. until the Japanese invades and starts shelling the place. Suddenly replacements start arriving.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 10
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 11/24/2006 10:54:56 PM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tetsuo

Strange things happening to me as well, I rescued most of the part of 2 brigades and put them in a base with their HQ and loads of supply. No replacements for 1½ months.. until the Japanese invades and starts shelling the place. Suddenly replacements start arriving.

Were the Brigades full of disabled squads ? I think the chance to 'repair' a disable squad / item is easier to make than to get actual replacements... and there may be something in the routine that concentrates on 'repair' before replacements..

Xargun

(in reply to Tetsuo)
Post #: 11
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 11/24/2006 11:47:23 PM   
Tetsuo

Hi Xargun, both brigades had some disablements at first. After a few weeks they had fully recovered and had 0/5 dis/fat. Despite this no replacements for weeks despite both being in the same base hex as their commanding HQ, together with 300k supply. Then Japan invades and replacements start showing up..

Only thing I can think of is that they both were rescued by sub. Ive noticed strange things can happen to units that have spent time on a sub, guess those crazy submariners have a bad influence on them.

I know its a bit gamey to shove 20k troops and an assortment of artillery pieces down the hatches of a humongous sub fleet but in this particular game its ok since all bets are off by silent agreement.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 12
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 11/25/2006 2:41:44 AM   
niceguy2005

RUPD, it beats the heck out of me what governs repair of disabled LCU. It seems like once in a while a unit just takes forever, probably just bad die rolls. I have a unit in a non-malarial base, with good HQ, tons of supply, a good leader and it just won't repair faster than 1 squad per week. All the units around it, at other bases that aren't free of malaria have largely repaired.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 13
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 11/25/2006 4:12:54 AM   
treespider

I've done some testing on this and malarial areas are problematic...you are actually better off sitting outside of a base in a malarial area than you are in a base.

In addition base size does have some impact but does not make an area immune.

I set up three test subjects each had 1000 inf squads and 1000 support squads. I set morale and experience to 50 and leader values to 60. I then gave each 3000 supply and the two test bases Rabaul and Buna to 10,000 supply. All disruption and fatigue was set to 0.

The three units were Japanese

One at Buna AF 4, Port 3

One at Rabaul AF 8 Port 8

One just ourtside of Buna on the trail in the Mountain hex heading towards Pt Moresby

After one week everyone’s Disruption and Fatigue had increased relatively equally. The unit at Rabaul had some support disabled (3) and the unit at Buna had a little more support disabled (5) and an inf sqd disabled (1). The unit not in the base however had suffered no disabled.

After a little over a month and a half Dec 8 through January 29.

Buna – Disruption-15, Fatigue -34, 20 Inf sqds disabled, 21 Support disabled, Assault strength down to 872 from 1000

Rabaul - Disruption-14, Fatigue -31, 10 Inf sqds disabled, 15 Support disabled, Assault strength down to 881 from 1000

Non Base - Disruption-10, Fatigue -26, 0 Inf sqds disabled, 6 Support disabled, Assault strength down to 920 from 1000

I stopped the test after over two months the Non base Unit still had 1000 Inf sqds in good order and 3 disabled support squads. The two units in bases had continued degradation with the unit in Buna suffering a little more.

My next test I ran with the Non base unit in a Non-base Coastal Wood …I checked the progress at roughly the same point…Dec 8 through Jan 30

Buna – Disruption-15, Fatigue -32, 26 Inf sqds disabled, 22 Support disabled, Assault strength down to 876 from 1000

Rabaul - Disruption-13, Fatigue -31, 17 Inf sqds disabled, 18 Support disabled, Assault strength down to 884 from 1000

Non Base - Disruption-16, Fatigue -35, 0 Inf sqds disabled, 5 Support disabled, Assault strength down to 890 from 1000

Findings:

In both test runs the unit in a Non-Base Malarial hex faired much better than the units in base hexes…and appeared to take few if any disablements over the course of the test.

When in a base hex base size did impact the degree to which a unit was affected, however large bases did not provide immunity.

The units only suffered disablement and did not suffer any actual losses. The disablements will heal with the proper application of supply at non-malarial bases.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 14
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 11/25/2006 5:57:01 AM   
Yakface

That's very interesting - clearly it is also daft, patch needed.  I'd be intrigued to find out how the negative effects of a size 1 malarial base compare with the unit not in a base.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 15
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 3/4/2007 4:20:34 PM   
foliveti

Have there been any more discoveries on what impacts a disabled LCU. This thread seems to indicate that results are not making sense. I am looking at PH towards the end of December 1941. I have good leaders tons of supply and the base force is not repairing. My big problem seems to be the support troops and aviation support are not recovering.

Frank

(in reply to Yakface)
Post #: 16
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 3/4/2007 4:48:08 PM   
AmiralLaurent

Recovery of sqauds make sense when you know that WITP is not taking into account the size of the unit, or at least not enough. So in ten days, a division and a SNLF will recover the same number of sqauds, so the SNLF will be in a fare better shape (+25% effective strength for example), while the division will show little progress (+2-3%).

By the way recovery is faster in non-malarial bases with enough support squads.

(in reply to foliveti)
Post #: 17
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 3/4/2007 6:20:08 PM   
niceguy2005

I find repairs to work fine most of the time. Just once in a while things go crazy. I had a Div 30% disabled sitting in Calcutta (non-malarial base), with tons of supply (>100,000) HQs and leaders out the wazoo and no enemy present. It took months. I moved a similar division to Karachi and it repaired in no time.

I wonder if supply isn't the issue here. Calcutta was supplying and repairing a lot of units. Karachi was not repairing any units. Maybe I was flooding my supply resource with requests for equipment and even though it appeared to have enough supply there just wasn't enough to go around.

Might be worth testing if several units repairing from large supply bases repair that much slower than one unit repairing from a large supply base.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to Yakface)
Post #: 18
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 11/7/2007 1:23:42 AM   
BigDuke66

I really would like to know what factors impact how many disbaled squads, etc. I get back into action per round.
Found details what is needed for replacement but not what is needed for repairing disabled stuff.

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 19
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 6/5/2008 6:45:22 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

I really would like to know what factors impact how many disbaled squads, etc. I get back into action per round.
Found details what is needed for replacement but not what is needed for repairing disabled stuff.

I want to understand repairing disabled squads better, as well. If the disabled squads are not repairing, it can prevent the unit from drawing replacements as well. I think figuring this out would give my LCU strength a huge boost.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 20
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 6/5/2008 7:07:16 PM   
Chris21wen

Shipping more supplies in usually works. However sometimes its doesn't why I no not!

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 21
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 6/6/2008 9:22:18 AM   
Bogo Mil

I think repair and replacements in LCUs belong to those things, which sometimes need a "kick" in WITP. It simply doesn't work for some units untill you change something - move the unit, replace the leader, whatever. Even if the new conditions look worse than the old ones, this often brings everthing "on the road" again.

I figure, that there must be some small, well hidden bugs. There were similiar examples discussed on the forum, e.g. those ships which sometimes don't get any repairs until you change something.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 22
RE: Recoving disabled squads - 6/6/2008 4:56:29 PM   
morganbj

All of this is why I think there is no code.  We all have a WITP monster living in our computers.

(in reply to Bogo Mil)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Recoving disabled squads Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI