Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team Up For A New WWII Grand Strategy Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Press Releases, News and Events from Matrix >> Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team Up For A New WWII Grand Strategy Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team Up F... - 11/19/2004 8:28:14 PM   
David Heath

Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team Up For A New WWII Grand Strategy Game Bruce Harper’s “A World At War” Boardgame Coming to the Computer!

Staten Island, NY, November 19th, 2004 - Matrix Games (www.matrixgames.com) is pleased to announce that it has secured the rights to publish Magnetar Games’ (www.magnetargames.com) licensed computer adaptation of Bruce Harper’s acclaimed board game, A World At War (www.aworldatwar.com). Design and development is underway with no set release date.

Bruce Harper’s A World At War is a grand strategy game which simulates the military, economic, political, diplomatic, research and production aspects of the Second World War. Covering all theaters of the war, it is an ideological heir to the epic Third Reich and Rising Sun games that were released under the Avalon Hill Game Company name in previous years. Since its release as a board game from GMT Games (www.gmtgames.com), A World At War has been a big hit among grand strategy gamers.

David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said “We Matrix Games are huge grand strategy fans. We cut our wargaming teeth on many of the classic designs that culminated in Bruce Harper’s A World At War. We are excited to play a key role in bringing this outstanding game to computer wargamers around the world.”

The computer adaptation of Bruce Harper’s A World At War will focus on online collaborative play using a series of new technologies developed by Magnetar Games for this purpose, including FederationX and ExForce. A second phase will include full computer AI support for solo play.

Duncan Suttles, President of Magnetar Games, commented “We feel that with the selection of Matrix Games as our publisher, we have the last piece in place to make this project a great success. Our design strength in online collaborative play is a great fit with Matrix’s active community of war and strategy game players, many of whom are familiar with Bruce Harper’s work.”

For more information, please visit the A World At War website at www.aworldatwar.com, the Magnetar Games site at www.magnetargames.com and the Matrix Games website at www.matrixgames.com for future press releases and forum discussions.

Post #: 1
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 11/19/2004 8:38:38 PM   
David Heath

Hi Guys

Let me answer this question since I am already getting emails on this. A World At War (not to be confused with Gary Grigsby's World at War) game is what was designed and developed by Bruce Harper after Advanced 3rd Reich and Rising Sun were published by Avalon Hill years ago. Both of these games where then followed up by "A World At War" published by GMT Games and worth every penny.

Let me say this now loud and clear that this game is WAY down the road and we be only posting things when we feel we have something to say. On when will be be release..........When its done and don't expect it any time soon.

Our main purpose is posting this press release was so you all know it is being worked on.

David Heath

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 2
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 11/19/2004 11:18:07 PM   
pasternakski

So, umm, David, what does this do (if anything) to World in Flames?

Post #: 3
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 11/19/2004 11:52:22 PM   
David Heath

It will have no effect on WIF, its a different developement team.

David

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 4
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 11/20/2004 12:27:20 AM   
Hanal

How about changing the title of this new game in order to avoid confusion with World at War, and Steel Panther's World at War for that matter....

Post #: 5
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 11/20/2004 1:23:10 AM   
pasternakski

Thank you, David. These both make my "must buy" list. I'll need things to do to keep busy in the retirement home.

Post #: 6
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 11/20/2004 1:57:35 AM   
Hexed Gamer

I have been wandering the sites involved.

At this point in time, I could care less if World in Flames ever sees the light of day.

I am prepared to wait on this one though.

But if you ask me, it doesn't look like we will have to wait as long.

These guys actually look like they are on the ball.

There is only one Hexed Gamer
http://s3.invisionfree.com/Les_s_Place

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 7
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 11/20/2004 3:38:04 AM   
David Heath

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

How about changing the title of this new game in order to avoid confusion with World at War, and Steel Panther's World at War for that matter....

Yea this will be something we need to deal with.....

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 8
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 11/20/2004 3:47:25 AM   
David Heath

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hexed Gamer

I have been wandering the sites involved.

At this point in time, I could care less if World in Flames ever sees the light of day.

I am prepared to wait on this one though.

But if you ask me, it doesn't look like we will have to wait as long.

These guys actually look like they are on the ball.

This game was not picked up for to drop WIF. WIF is a VERY important game to us and will be completed. The reason we agreed to do both games was because they each take a very different approch on the subject.

David

(in reply to Hexed Gamer)
Post #: 9
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 11/20/2004 3:59:22 AM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Heath

licensed computer adaptation of Bruce Harper’s acclaimed board game, A World At War .......

...will focus on online collaborative play...

Les, I will be your first PBEM opponent.

but what is "collaborative play" ????

Post #: 10
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 8/10/2005 3:42:13 AM   
Fred98

Any word on how this is coming along?

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 11
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 8/10/2005 4:02:19 AM   
David Heath

The developer is still working on it..... no other updates at this time.

David

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 12
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 8/11/2005 6:56:05 AM   
Wild Bill

It should be an interesting and challenging addition for the wargaming community. Good to see Matrix moving ahead and continuing to offer the best to all of us.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 13
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 11/6/2005 5:41:49 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

The computer adaptation of Bruce Harper’s A World At War will focus on online collaborative play using a series of new technologies developed by Magnetar Games for this purpose, including FederationX and ExForce. A second phase will include full computer AI support for solo play.

quote:

The developer is still working on it..... no other updates at this time.

Any more news on this? I'm curious what the intended format will be, based on the comment about "online play using new technologies." Does that mean it will be one of these online games that players have to pay for every month, or a stand-alone PC game with an online play option?

An update would be nice.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 14
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 11/6/2005 7:50:12 PM   
David Heath

Magnetar is still programming this and I feek we are still a way off.

David

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 15
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 11/7/2005 3:23:53 AM   
Cmdrcain

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Heath For more information, please visit the A World At War website at www.aworldatwar.com, the Magnetar Games site at www.magnetargames.com and the Matrix Games website at www.matrixgames.com for future press releases and forum discussions.

Bad link,has comma in it, should be:

www.aworldatwar.com

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

Post #: 16
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 2/26/2006 10:34:54 AM   
ngcavscout

Any new news on this much anticipated project?

(in reply to Cmdrcain)
Post #: 17
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 2/27/2006 1:19:54 AM   
David Heath

Magnetar is still programming this. Any updates would need to come from them.

David

(in reply to ngcavscout)
Post #: 18
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 11/28/2006 12:20:06 AM   
ngcavscout

Still no word?  I visited the Magnetar site and I couldn't find any forums or discussion of this game besides the initial announcement.

Post #: 19
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 11/28/2006 2:00:35 AM   
Fred98

On the World at War forum Bruce Harper confirmed it has been canned.    

(in reply to ngcavscout)
Post #: 20
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 12/7/2006 11:50:24 AM   
ngcavscout

crap

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 21
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 12/19/2006 1:12:08 AM   
TOCarroll

Any more news from the front on this one? I got a buddy who got the board game for Xmas (he snuk a peek). I'd love to play, but the board is larger than my living room, so it'll have to be the PC version.

"Ideological conviction will trump logistics, numbers, and firepower every time"
J. Stalin, 1936-1941...A. Hitler, 1933-1945. W. Churchill (very rarely, and usually in North Africa). F. D. Roosvelt (smart enough to let the generals run the war).

(in reply to ngcavscout)
Post #: 22
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 12/28/2008 5:05:33 PM   
graf spee

Hi,   Any news, or is this thing dead and burried??

(in reply to TOCarroll)
Post #: 23
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 12/28/2008 6:21:57 PM   
Terminus

Well, if you read post #23...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to graf spee)
Post #: 24
RE: Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team ... - 1/1/2009 2:52:00 PM   
Grotius

T, I think maybe you mean post #20?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Press Releases, News and Events from Matrix >> Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team Up For A New WWII Grand Strategy Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI