Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Repeatable CTD

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Repeatable CTD Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Repeatable CTD - 11/30/2006 6:01:19 AM   
Temple

Have a repeatable CTD from a save file . I have the two files in a zip, who do I mail them to?

This was the error message info, don't know if it helps, but maybe it will.
quote:

AppName: forge of freedom.exe AppVer: 0.8.1.0 ModName: maps.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 000051a1
Post #: 1
RE: Repeatable CTD - 11/30/2006 6:08:10 AM   
ericbabe

Please send the zip to ericbabe@west-civ.com.  Thanks!

(in reply to Temple)
Post #: 2
RE: Repeatable CTD - 11/30/2006 6:28:22 AM   
Temple

On it's way!

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 3
RE: Repeatable CTD - 11/30/2006 1:57:21 PM   
Temple

FYI, I was able to continue with my session by restarting the game and picking autosave3 or autosave4, don't remember which. Selecting the file "autosave" would give me the repeatable CTD of course.

Just as a heads up I got another CTD about three hours and three game years later. It was very, very late at night  so I went to bed. I'll see if I can recover using a previous autosave.

(in reply to Temple)
Post #: 4
RE: Repeatable CTD - 11/30/2006 7:55:44 PM   
Temple

Second CTD save is on it's way to you, too.

(in reply to Temple)
Post #: 5
RE: Repeatable CTD - 11/30/2006 8:25:29 PM   
Temple

Regarding the second save, it's repeatable even from older autosave. The crash occurs right after I get the message the Little Rock has fallen after being besieged.

UPDATE: Yup, that looks like the smoking gun. I went back to a save about two turns previous and lifted the seige of Little Rock, so it wasn't taken. And guess what? Little Rock disappeared! It's not on the map anymore. Maybe that's what was causing the CTD, the fact that if I won the siege there was suddenly no city to occupy. Oops!

< Message edited by Temple -- 11/30/2006 9:12:48 PM >

(in reply to Temple)
Post #: 6
RE: Repeatable CTD - 11/30/2006 9:22:22 PM   
genie144

quote:

ORIGINAL: Temple

Regarding the second save, it's repeatable even from older autosave. The crash occurs right after I get the message the Little Rock has fallen after being besieged.

UPDATE: Yup, that looks like the smoking gun. I went back to a save about two turns previous and lifted the seige of Little Rock, so it wasn't taken. And guess what? Little Rock disappeared! It's not on the map anymore. Maybe that's what was causing the CTD, the fact that if I won the siege there was suddenly no city to occupy. Oops!

And I thought Sherman was bad...

Sam

(in reply to Temple)
Post #: 7
RE: Repeatable CTD - 11/30/2006 10:00:57 PM   
Gil R.

Okay, everyone, until you hear otherwise, besiege Little Rock at your own peril...

(in reply to genie144)
Post #: 8
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 3:52:32 AM   
bschulte1978

I've also got a repeatable CTD involving a siege.  I was besieging Knoxville with four separate divisions.  Several turns ago, I told one division to start a siege of knoxville and then told another one as well.  Now, when Knoxville falls, I get the typical City has fallen pop-up window TWICE.  Then I get the CTD.  I suspect it was because I told two divisions to besiege the city on the same turn.  If I had only ever instructed one, I think it would have been okay.  I am emailing the zipped file of the autosave to Eric. 

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 9
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 4:18:32 AM   
Gil R.

Thanks. That's the third siege-related problem to have been reported. Which is strange, because sieges got a good deal of testing during beta. I'll be curious to know what Eric discovers.

(in reply to bschulte1978)
Post #: 10
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 4:50:31 AM   
Temple

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Thanks. That's the third siege-related problem to have been reported. Which is strange, because sieges got a good deal of testing during beta. I'll be curious to know what Eric discovers.

Now to be sure I had a lot of sieges that didn't cause a CTD, so if I get another I'll pay particular attention to the circumstances.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 11
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 4:55:24 AM   
jchastain

quote:

quote:

Now to be sure I had a lot of sieges that didn't cause a CTD, so if I get another I'll pay particular attention to the circumstances.

So far it has just happened in Little Rock and Knoxville? Is it possible that the game gives up on people who bother to lay siege to cities no reasonable person would ever want?

/ducks and runs away...

(in reply to Temple)
Post #: 12
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 5:30:14 AM   
Texican

Same thing, Crash to Desktop.  Didn't record or see the error message in detail.  Do notice the game plays a little buggy.

Hopefully, we will see a patch soon.  Nice game, but not too stable at the moment.

(in reply to Temple)
Post #: 13
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 5:33:57 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Texican

Same thing, Crash to Desktop. Didn't record or see the error message in detail. Do notice the game plays a little buggy.

Hopefully, we will see a patch soon. Nice game, but not too stable at the moment.

What do you mean by "same thing"? What happened, and do you have a save file? And what are your system specs?

(in reply to Texican)
Post #: 14
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 5:37:06 AM   
oldspec4

quote:

ORIGINAL: jchastain

quote:

quote:

So far it has just happened in Little Rock and Knoxville? Is it possible that the game gives up on people who bother to lay siege to cities no reasonable person would ever want?

/ducks and runs away...

Also happened to me in Annapolis with both Ft. Carroll and Ft. Madison.

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 15
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 5:47:03 AM   
Gil R.

Please send save-files to Eric (ericbabe@west-civ.com) so that we can figure out just what's happening. Send the most recent save or autosave files, but be sure to zip them. Thanks!

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 16
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 5:52:06 AM   
Peever

I"m getting the same siege crash bug. Happens right after I get the message saying I've captured Wheeling. I have a save file if it is needed.

Edit: I've sent a save file with the bug to Eric.

< Message edited by Peever -- 12/1/2006 6:01:07 AM >

"Sergeant the Spanish bullet isn't made that will kill me," Bucky O'Neil seconds before receiving a fatal shot to the head at the battle of San Juan Hill.

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 17
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 5:54:57 AM   
Texican

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Texican

Same thing, Crash to Desktop. Didn't record or see the error message in detail. Do notice the game plays a little buggy.

Hopefully, we will see a patch soon. Nice game, but not too stable at the moment.

What do you mean by "same thing"? What happened, and do you have a save file? And what are your system specs?

I have besieged a bunch of forts in a row (3 before besieging Annapolis). During the last siege, I got a Microsoft error that the application encountered a problem and would now close. The Microsoft error that gives you an option to report to Microsoft or just close it out.

Also, during an earlier game tonight, I tried to move some armies and when I pointed my cursor at other provinces, I did not see the arrow path as I normally would.

Earlier than that, during another tryout of this game, I had the screen freeze up after leaving the application unattended for a few minutes.

No, I never saved any file, but my system specs are pretty good. AMD 3500, Nvidia 7800 graphics card, 2 MB Corsair CAS2 RAM, etc... Basically, a nice machine for games; can run lots of RPG's at max graphics and almost zero lag.

< Message edited by Texican -- 12/1/2006 5:59:44 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 18
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 5:58:16 AM   
oldspec4

quote:

Please send save-files to Eric (ericbabe@west-civ.com) so that we can figure out just what's happening. Send the most recent save or autosave files, but be sure to zip them. Thanks!

FYI...I experienced the CTD when laying siege to Ft. Carroll and Ft. Madison (Annapolis)with three armys , two on Ft. Carroll and one on Ft. Madison. Went back to my saved game and adjusted the orders to have only one army on Ft. Carroll and one on Ft. Madison. Ran fine w/ no CTD. I will try to send save ASAP.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 19
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 6:03:39 AM   
Gil R.

One is not supposed to besiege more than one fort in a province at the same time, and only after one has captured any forts in a province can a city be attacked. This might be causing the problem.

Has anyone had a crash occur during a siege of a single target?

For now, therefore, siege one fort at a time, and only then move on to the city. Until Eric says otherwise.

So it appears that this is not really a bug, so much as a game design issue. The game was not intended to let multiple sieges be conducted in a province simultaneously, but there is no code to prevent someone from attempting it. My guess is that if you follow my boldface recommendation many of these crashes that are making some people claim the system is unstable will go away.

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 12/1/2006 6:07:29 AM >

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 20
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 6:20:47 AM   
Gil R.

I just checked the manual, and at two different places it says that one cannot besiege a city until all forts in a province are taken, but it does not say that one can only besiege one fort in a province at a time.

If those of you who had crashes while conducting two sieges could retry the game while conducting just one siege I would be very interested to hear whether you are still having crashes. (And I'm sure that many others would benefit from this as well.)

Thanks!

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 21
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 6:29:59 AM   
krrpt

FYI: I am having this issue and I am not besieging two targets in the same province.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 22
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 6:32:52 AM   
Alex Gilbert

Well, I just had the above reported microsoft error announcing that the application would now close.  It was siege related, but in this case, it was the computer who was conducting the siege, and it was a single siege in a province.

As a side note, regarding the problems with besieging multiple forts in the same province simultaneously, I noted in my game that the COMPUTER uses this tactic, and so it may not be as simple as just having the players avoid this.

Alex

(I am sending the save files)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 23
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 6:34:54 AM   
oldspec4

quote:

I just checked the manual, and at two different places it says that one cannot besiege a city until all forts in a province are taken, but it does not say that one can only besiege one fort in a province at a time.

If those of you who had crashes while conducting two sieges could retry the game while conducting just one siege I would be very interested to hear whether you are still having crashes. (And I'm sure that many others would benefit from this as well.)

Thanks!

Just to clarify...my CTD occured when I laid siege to two separate forts (Carroll and Madison) in the same province (Annapolis) with three separate armys (two on Carroll and one on Madison). I retried the sieges with only two armys with one each on Ft. Carroll and Ft. Madison and had no CTD.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 24
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 7:46:24 AM   
Gil R.

Yeah, I was wrong -- one can besiege two forts in a province at the same time. For some reason I thought we decided against that. Mea culpa. But cities definitely can't be taken until the forts are gone.

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 25
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 8:01:11 AM   
ericbabe

Thanks for sending the save files.  I've been looking at Temple's save files under the debugger.  It does seem to have to do with the siege.  Will try a fix tomorrow morning and let you know how it goes.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 26
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 1:31:23 PM   
Luciano B

Im' afraid that I encountered the same problem: as soon as the window tells me that I captured Columbus (OH) the game crashes to desktop ...the same occurred in a previous campaign when I captured Kentucky's capital ...maybe it is something related to the seige of the capitals?

< Message edited by Luciano B -- 12/1/2006 1:55:22 PM >

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 27
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 1:49:44 PM   
Luciano B

...just sent the "autosave" files to Eric ...thanks in advance.

(in reply to Luciano B)
Post #: 28
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 2:38:29 PM   
Texican

quote:

Yeah, I was wrong -- one can besiege two forts in a province at the same time. For some reason I thought we decided against that. Mea culpa. But cities definitely can't be taken until the forts are gone.

But regardless, violating a game rule should simply be prevented or made impossible by the code, not cause it to crash.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 29
RE: Repeatable CTD - 12/1/2006 4:06:41 PM   
Luciano B

...I started a new campaign ...again, the same problem after a siege ...this time with the capture of a fort in Maryland ...at this point I can only wait that someone will manage to resolve or patch the siege issue, since right now I can't play the game without encountering  a crash to desktop after the capture of a town or fort...

(in reply to Texican)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Repeatable CTD Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI