Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Questions and Comments

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Questions and Comments Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions and Comments - 12/3/2006 2:15:39 PM   
joblue

I have 2 questions regarding detailed battles...and then a global comment below:

1. It seems like you can only select units in order...so if I move a unit, then move the next one, I cant go back and select the previous one....am I right or just plain missing something? It seems like the unit selection is pretty rigid.

2. More of an observation. In some battles, with no victory locations...I have my units plopped on the map to start, but I have no idea which direction to head to find the enemy...again, am i missing something?

I read the manual...and have posted previously that I think that while it is a great reference, it really doesnt shed much light on the process of playing. I have experimented, and I seem to be getting somewhere in my undertsaning of the mechanics. We all internalize infomation diferently, and I dont think the manual accounts for those of us who want to learn the game while playing.

Love the game...the depth (from govoner's attitudes to missinterpreting orders to emanicaption) is just amazing. Everytime I think I "get it", there is a new layer yet to uncover.

Joblue
Post #: 1
RE: Questions and Comments - 12/3/2006 2:26:03 PM   
Roger Neilson II

I too am puzzled by these questions - hopefully someone will shed light. I recently had a four day battle where I spent almost two days trying to locate the enemy! By the time I 'found' them they were heavily entrenched.

Roger

(in reply to joblue)
Post #: 2
RE: Questions and Comments - 12/3/2006 4:19:52 PM   
jchastain

Hard Sarge is the king of detailed battle and I only have minimal experience in that aspect of the game, but what I generally found is that one army begind towards the top right corner of the map and the other begins towards the bottom left.  If you look at the mini-map to the bottom right of your screen, it will show you which of those you are closer to and you'll then find the enemy towards the other.

(in reply to Roger Neilson II)
Post #: 3
RE: Questions and Comments - 12/3/2006 8:03:30 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: joblue

I have 2 questions regarding detailed battles...and then a global comment below:

1. It seems like you can only select units in order...so if I move a unit, then move the next one, I cant go back and select the previous one....am I right or just plain missing something? It seems like the unit selection is pretty rigid.

units are moved based on Init, so it is not always in the same order, but overall, once a unit has moved, it is finished until it's next time to move comes around, but there is a wait command, if you want, this will use up some of it's MPs but it will be get returned to before that round of movement is over

2. More of an observation. In some battles, with no victory locations...I have my units plopped on the map to start, but I have no idea which direction to head to find the enemy...again, am i missing something?

over all not sure, if you are on the attack, you will start at the top of the map, and the enemy will be below you, depending on how many of them there are, it can be HARD to find them, but you have to seach for them

if you are defending, you don't really have to worry about it, you start at the bottom of the map and the enemy starts at the top and he will be coming to you

some of the settings can effect this, if you pick close combat, you will start much closer to each other

I read the manual...and have posted previously that I think that while it is a great reference, it really doesnt shed much light on the process of playing. I have experimented, and I seem to be getting somewhere in my undertsaning of the mechanics. We all internalize infomation diferently, and I dont think the manual accounts for those of us who want to learn the game while playing.

Love the game...the depth (from govoner's attitudes to missinterpreting orders to emanicaption) is just amazing. Everytime I think I "get it", there is a new layer yet to uncover.

Kewl, glad you are enjoying it :)

Joblue

(in reply to joblue)
Post #: 4
RE: Questions and Comments - 12/3/2006 8:29:23 PM   
Roger Neilson II

Ok, I get what you are saying HardSarge..... partly I think this is a cultural thing. We are used to playing with a great deal of god like views....yet now I recall an awful lot of battles were kind of blundering into each other and then reacting.

As for the initiative thing I guess its the same, we are used to brilliantly co-ordinated attacks and in reality this was next to impossible unless you were all close together and moving the same way at the same time.

I've yet to win a battle.

Roger

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 5
RE: Questions and Comments - 12/3/2006 8:48:58 PM   
Hard Sarge

Roger that

in some of my AARs, youmay notice that I talk about the AI coming in waves, that is part of what is going on, once it finds me, it is having to move the rest of its troops to me, while there were out looking someplace else

in HW (detail battles) attacking can be very HARD, even worse early in the game

plus the AI gets some nasty dugouts

and yes, timeing is everything, and with the misunderstood orders and waiting on the right unit to come up, it gets very hairy at times

Post #: 6
RE: Questions and Comments - 12/4/2006 1:07:32 AM   
Roger Neilson II

Ok, so I find the enemy.... they are entrenched facing NE, I come in on them on the flank. I outnumber them 20K to 12 K. I throw five divisions against 1 and at 90 degrees to their entrenchments.... and they get like 20 times the casualties on my units as they move in, and when I hit the from 3 sides they annihilate each unit.....

How do I actually ever take them on?

Roger

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 7
RE: Questions and Comments - 12/4/2006 1:16:58 AM   
Hard Sarge

ahhh, that is the AI dugout, it is a little better then the hasty one you will get

stand off firepower, Heavy weapons, snipers, and the dangerous one, charges

Really, and I mean really don't want to tell anyone to try charges, they can really hurt you, but they can work

the trick is, you need to break the line and then get inside of the line, early on, and make them turn in there defence

but so saying, early on, it can be very HARD to do

one trick, is be sure to buy Med skills for the units that will be getting to close range (for the CSA Richmound Muskets are good early close range weapons)

20 to 12, depending on the defence, is not a good odds ratios

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Questions and Comments Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI