Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Seige Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Seige Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Seige Question - 12/3/2006 5:00:28 AM   
ElGuapo

I'm currently seiging a fort. After the first turn it says that the defenses decreased from 100 to 80. Then after the second turn it says that defenses have been reduced from 85 to 81. How can the defenses go up if the fort is unable to resupply? Is this just soldiers in the fort scrounging up materials and attempting to rebuild the defenses a s best as possible?
Post #: 1
RE: Seige Question - 12/3/2006 5:14:05 AM   
Hard Sarge

I think each turn, there is a chance for forts to repair, plus some of the upgrades speed up how fast a fort can/will repair

which I have seen a lot of this, Forts can be very HARD to take, even more so later on

(in reply to ElGuapo)
Post #: 2
RE: Seige Question - 12/3/2006 5:18:35 AM   
ElGuapo

Any suggestions on how to better ones chances of taking them? Or is the extreme difficulty something that might be addressed in a future patch?

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 3
RE: Seige Question - 12/3/2006 5:24:05 AM   
tc237

Use Gunboats or Siege Artillery.
I'm wrecking havoc on the Mississippi with a 5 Gunboat Fleet.

(in reply to ElGuapo)
Post #: 4
RE: Seige Question - 12/3/2006 5:25:24 AM   
Hard Sarge

well, I think them being HARD to take is the idea, not a bug or a mistake

Seige guns helps (with the best guns you can afford)

buying the Eng skill for your troops also helps

when you siege, in the report screen, you see how well the seige is Eng and Arty wise (which in this case, Arty is Seige not field)

if you are able to, you do want to make a Seige Div or something, useing your field troops to drive off the enemy and then the seige group to do the seige

(a CSA Div with say 2 Seige guns and 4 Bdes of Inf each with at least one Eng skill, will help alot)

big numbers also help (they kill more troops, faster)

this is if you are worried about not losing alot of troops, if the area is worth the losses, just stack up troops and seige

Seiges can be bloody, very bloody, plus there area a numebr of upgrades that help with the defence or attack on Forts

(in reply to ElGuapo)
Post #: 5
RE: Seige Question - 12/3/2006 5:26:19 AM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: tc237

Use Gunboats or Siege Artillery.
I'm wrecking havoc on the Mississippi with a 5 Gunboat Fleet.

ahhh, see this is why I am a CSA player, I never used a Gunboat

may have to try that idea

(in reply to tc237)
Post #: 6
RE: Seige Question - 12/3/2006 9:20:33 AM   
jchastain

With sieges, you'll see two "stats":  engineering advantage and artillery advantage.  More than anything, those are the key to your progress with sieges.

To increase your engineering advantage, you have to add "engineer" attributes to your brigades.  That is an attribute that can be purchased (just like brigade cavalry, scounts, and a number of others).

To increase your artillery advantage, you need to include siege artillery.  River boats are siege units (though they are obviously limited to rivers).  Additionally, you can build siege artillery units.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 7
RE: Seige Question - 12/3/2006 10:39:32 AM   
Sheytan

if I recall correctly in the manual it stats forts have a 25% chance each siege pulse to repair. if this is in error forgive me :} its what I recall however.

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 8
RE: Seige Question - 12/3/2006 4:18:39 PM   
Peever

Don't' forget to build the engineer colleges because these will allow you to get important upgrades that will help in sieges.

"Sergeant the Spanish bullet isn't made that will kill me," Bucky O'Neil seconds before receiving a fatal shot to the head at the battle of San Juan Hill.

(in reply to Sheytan)
Post #: 9
RE: Seige Question - 12/3/2006 4:29:48 PM   
ahauschild

Something that allot dont relize, you can determind what type of siege you want.
If you click on the special siege graphic in the province, you get a pull down on the right bottom of the screen, in there you can select options like surround, bombard ..and yes...STORM...this means you go to the detailed battle screeen with your troops and you can in one turn take the fort.
I did get a CTD error after the battle though, but I get that on allot of sieges anyway.

(in reply to Peever)
Post #: 10
RE: Seige Question - 12/4/2006 12:20:52 AM   
spruce

question about sieges = do you have to attach the siege works to a division sieging ? Or is it ok, to let it stand alone in the province?

(in reply to ahauschild)
Post #: 11
RE: Seige Question - 12/4/2006 12:29:28 AM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: spruce

question about sieges = do you have to attach the siege works to a division sieging ? Or is it ok, to let it stand alone in the province?

I didn't even realize it was possible to place a siege into a container. I never did so.

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 12
RE: Seige Question - 12/4/2006 12:31:45 AM   
Hard Sarge

I think it is the other way around, you can add troops to the seige works, I never tried to attach the seige works to the Div

I think early on, that was the idea, but as long as you have the seige works, it is going to use the troops in the province for the seige

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 13
RE: Seige Question - 12/4/2006 1:38:57 AM   
ElGuapo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ahauschild

Something that allot dont relize, you can determind what type of siege you want.
If you click on the special siege graphic in the province, you get a pull down on the right bottom of the screen, in there you can select options like surround, bombard ..and yes...STORM...this means you go to the detailed battle screeen with your troops and you can in one turn take the fort.
I did get a CTD error after the battle though, but I get that on allot of sieges anyway.

Where is this special siege graphic you are refering to? I'm undertaking a siege now and I can't find any special order button.

(in reply to ahauschild)
Post #: 14
RE: Seige Question - 12/4/2006 1:46:29 AM   
spruce

guys ! give clear answers ! Perhaps a little my fault - I meant the siege artillery ...

Do I have to put the siege artillery in the division ?

Do I have to put it seperate from the division ?

Or do I transfer troops to the siege artillery ?

(in reply to ElGuapo)
Post #: 15
RE: Seige Question - 12/4/2006 2:46:47 AM   
Hard Sarge

LOL

okay, lets see
well, yes, the Seige Arty should be in a container, as the container sets the seige commands

no, you do not need to transfer troops to the seige arty (don't know how you would or could)

when you have a container begin a seige, the next turn, a seige works will show up in the same province, which is also a type of container, and troops can be added to it, but do not need to be

which I think from when the seige works is click on, you can set the type of seige you want to run

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 16
RE: Seige Question - 12/4/2006 2:53:31 AM   
ElGuapo

What about the special siege graphic that was brought up previously? where it that exactly?

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 17
RE: Seige Question - 12/4/2006 3:06:44 AM   
Hard Sarge

it will look like a fort, but in the color of the side doing the seige

(in reply to ElGuapo)
Post #: 18
RE: Seige Question - 12/4/2006 3:18:42 AM   
jchastain

Also - river boats are siege units but cannot be added to an army.  If they are in the province with an ongoing siege, they will contribute.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 19
RE: Seige Question - 12/4/2006 4:41:41 AM   
Gil R.

Also, regarding the flip side of the equation, siege artillery and the engineering attribute can benefit the defenders of a fort and make it harder to take. Likewise, the brigade artillery is a good thing to buy for garrisoning units. Plus, don't forget to purchase fort attributes such as abatis and bombproofs.

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 20
RE: Seige Question - 12/4/2006 5:38:07 AM   
Hard Sarge

sorry been a bit, here is what a seige works look like

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 21
RE: Seige Question - 12/4/2006 5:39:55 AM   
Hard Sarge

which I am not sure about the info being shown, on map I show some 4566 men in that city and my combat report shows me as being better ??

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Seige Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI