Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Here is how to play (advice for the lost)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Here is how to play (advice for the lost) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Here is how to play (advice for the lost) - 12/3/2006 8:42:53 PM   
Mailer22

This thread will be a basic guide on how to play the game. It is meant to be a simple guide that tells the unitiated the basic flow of the game. It will have a few installations and hopefully others will contribute.

First Turn---things you want to do--

1. Assemble your troops into armies, corps, and divisions.
2. Assign generals to those armies, corps, and divisions
3. tweak your economy and start developing buildings.
4. Invest in europeon diplomacy
5. start building more troops, artillary, cavalry to put in your armies, corps and divisions.
6. DONT FORGET TO GIVE WEAPONS to your troops. Many of them will start with pistols and sabres. This is done by clicking on an individual unit. in that unit's window will be a picture of whatever weapons they have. Click on the picture and it will give you a list of weapons to buy for the unit. Do this for Every brigade you have. Of course the tough part is budgeting it out, you won't be able to affort weapons for every unit at first.

okay, so how do you assemble an army--

First you must understand the army, corp, division system.

They appear on the map as follows--

Brigade--looks like actual unit
Division--flag with XX above it--a suitcase for your brigades
Corps--flage with XXX above it--a bigger suitcase that holds your division XX suitcases
Army--flag with XXXX above it--A big ass suitcase that holds your CORP XXX suitcases, which are full of DIVISION XX suitcases.

or

A BRIGADE is a TOY SOLDIER. Put some of your TOY SOLDIERS into a BOX (DIVISION XX), now load several of those BOXES onto a PALLET (CORPS XXX), now load a few PALLETS onto a TRUCK (ARMY XXXX). Now drive your TRUCK (XXXX) to the FIELD OF BATTLE.

the basic unit is the BRIGADE--a brigade is one unit of troops, represented by an icon of the ACTUAL unit--an infantry BRIGADE will look like a Confederate or Union soldier on the map. In detailed combat, BRIGADES are the actuall units you move and fire with.

a DIVISION XX is a collection of BRIGADES--think of it as a little suitcase for your units. Five or six Brigades come together to form a DIVISON XX. A division looks like your nations flag and has this symbol above it on the main map XX. To load the division with troops, click on a Brigade of troops and hover over the division. A little down arrow will appear. when you click the mouse button, the unit will be go inside the DIVISION XX flag. If you right click on the flag, you will actaully see the units inside the division listed in outline form.

A CORP XXX is a collection of DIVISIONS XX, and looks like your nation's flag with XXX above it. Once you have filled your DIVISIONS XX with troops, you can click your Division XX and hold your mouse above a CORP XXX. A little down arrow will appear and when you click, the whole division XX will go inside the Corp XXX. If you right click on a Corp XXX you can see all the Divisions XX you have put into the Corp XXX. This table will look like an outline, or like the file trees you use in Windows Explorer. from here you can move the troops around, and swap them between Divisions XX by simply clicking on a unit and dropping it into whatever Division XX you wish. You can even drop troops directly into the Corp as well.

An ARMY XXXX is a collection of CORPS XXX. Now think about that for a minute. If you fill a Division XX with five or six units of troops, the put 3 or 4 Divisions XX into a CORP XXX--That Corp probably has a lot of troops in it. Now take 2 or 3 of those CORPS XXX and put them into an ARMY XXXX, and you have a big ass force collected at that point.

IN SUMMARY: Dump all nearby units into an army (flag with XXXX above it). Then right click on the Army XXXX icon and sort your troops out in the window that opens.

ASSIGNING GENERALS--

Once you have put all your armies together, you need to dump some Generals into the Army XXXX. Simply click on your generals and then click on an Army XXXX located in the same province. When you right click on the Army XXXX, you will see all the generals clumped together in the list. From this window, you can move your generals into whatever Corp or division you like.

1 star general will be automaticaly assigned to a brigade during detailed combat, so you should drop several of them into Divisions where you have troops.

2 star general commands Divisions XX, and ONE should be droped into each of your divisions to command it.

3 star generals command CORPS XXX, and ONE should be Dropped into any CORPS XXX you may have in your army

4 star generals command entire ARMIES XXXX, and ONE should be dropped into your main ARMY XXXX icon.

Notice the Plus and Minus symbols. You can open or close divisions, corps and army to make it easier to navigate and sort through your divisions. once again, it works JUST LIKE WINDOWS EXPLORER.

so you have assembled your army, next you need to look at your economy.

ECONOMY--

Each province produces 4 MAIN RESOURCES. HORSES, IRON, LABOR, GOLD--but here is the catch, you have to decide which TWO of the FOUR resources each province will produce.

In the detailed city screen, at the bottom you can see a box with these resources and how much the province can produce. If you click on one, it will switch production to THAT resource.

So basically you must make two choice--will this Province Produce MONEY or LABOR and then click on the one you want that province to produce. Then you must decide, will this province produce IRON or HORSES. and click on the appropriate one.

For the most part, you should leave the production on what it started as, then occasionally switch production in certain provinces to make up for short falls as you need them in the game.

and don't forget, EVERYTIME you SWITCH PRODUCTION in a province, it makes the GOVERNER a little ANGRY.

Other Resources--guns, and such, are produced directly by buildings. and should be built as you need them.

SOME TIPS ON BUILDINGS--

CAMPS--you will need a decent number of these. Each CAMP on the map will generate 500 men per turn which are AUTOMATICALLY assigned to your depleted units every turn. Buid a TELEGRAPH in provinces that have a few camps in them, as this MULTIPLIES the effect of camps in the same provinces. the CATCH--CAMPS cost a LOT of HORSES.

BARRACKS--you want to have at least one PROVINCE with THREE (3) barracks--it takes three barracks in a province to build an army--you know, the flag with the XXXX above it. At first you will be able to cram all the troops in the Army XXXX you already have, but eventually your army will be full and you will need another one.j--plus you may want to put an army on the west front as well. ON a side note, it takes TWO (2) Barracks to build a CORPS XXX, and ONE (1) Barracks to build a Division XX or ANY OTHER MILITARY UNIT.

FOUNDRY--required to build ARTILLARY--you probably already have a couple on the map. Build more if needed.

HORSE FARMS--build these in provinces where you intend to continue producing HORSES--it is pointless to build these in a province where you are producing LABOR instead of HORSES. Same goes for mines which produce IRON, FACTORIES which produce LABOR, etc.

MANSIONS AND PLANTATIONS-- you must have one of these for every FOUR buildings in the province. If a Province only has one mansion, then you will not be able to build more than four buildings there. Plantations are just like mansions, but better in some ways.

PLEASE FEEL FREE to ask questions or request advice on other features. I will later elaborate on general gameplay flow.

< Message edited by Mailer22 -- 12/3/2006 8:59:55 PM >

Mailer
Post #: 1
RE: Here is how to play (advice for the lost) - 12/4/2006 12:35:26 AM   
modrow

Hi,

thanks for the useful intro.

Could you elaborate a bit on the universities & the tech upgrade facilities ? Anything to bear in mind (comparable to not building mints in places which do not generate income & the like ?) I know in one of the AARs (?) Gil R mentions some hints on this, but I sure would appreciate a summary if you can provide one.

Also, I am a bit lost with the quick combat resoltuion (trying to figure out the detailed combat as well as that's what I want to use mainly, but my success is limited so far - get clobbered by AI, which is bad). Ok, I put units with a weak morale into the defense region at best and let the better ones attack... but are there advantages in different arragements on the map ? What is your approach to this ? Rigth now, it looks pretty random (and then I can use instant resolution just as well).

Thanks in advance

Hartwig

(in reply to Mailer22)
Post #: 2
RE: Here is how to play (advice for the lost) - 12/4/2006 3:30:26 AM   
joblue

This is a great bit of information, thanks.

joblue

(in reply to Mailer22)
Post #: 3
RE: Here is how to play (advice for the lost) - 12/4/2006 4:01:36 AM   
slybelle

This is good idea to post things like this. I have to admit, I'm absolutely lost on how to get things started. Hopefully the more experienced players can provide insight like this.

Maybe even a special forum could be setup for strategy and tactics threads?

< Message edited by slybelle -- 12/4/2006 4:05:15 AM >

(in reply to joblue)
Post #: 4
RE: Here is how to play (advice for the lost) - 12/4/2006 4:31:36 AM   
Tanaka

Good stuff! Thanks!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mailer22

This thread will be a basic guide on how to play the game. It is meant to be a simple guide that tells the unitiated the basic flow of the game. It will have a few installations and hopefully others will contribute.

First Turn---things you want to do--

1. Assemble your troops into armies, corps, and divisions.
2. Assign generals to those armies, corps, and divisions
3. tweak your economy and start developing buildings.
4. Invest in europeon diplomacy
5. start building more troops, artillary, cavalry to put in your armies, corps and divisions.
6. DONT FORGET TO GIVE WEAPONS to your troops. Many of them will start with pistols and sabres. This is done by clicking on an individual unit. in that unit's window will be a picture of whatever weapons they have. Click on the picture and it will give you a list of weapons to buy for the unit. Do this for Every brigade you have. Of course the tough part is budgeting it out, you won't be able to affort weapons for every unit at first.

okay, so how do you assemble an army--

First you must understand the army, corp, division system.

They appear on the map as follows--

Brigade--looks like actual unit
Division--flag with XX above it--a suitcase for your brigades
Corps--flage with XXX above it--a bigger suitcase that holds your division XX suitcases
Army--flag with XXXX above it--A big ass suitcase that holds your CORP XXX suitcases, which are full of DIVISION XX suitcases.

or

A BRIGADE is a TOY SOLDIER. Put some of your TOY SOLDIERS into a BOX (DIVISION XX), now load several of those BOXES onto a PALLET (CORPS XXX), now load a few PALLETS onto a TRUCK (ARMY XXXX). Now drive your TRUCK (XXXX) to the FIELD OF BATTLE.

the basic unit is the BRIGADE--a brigade is one unit of troops, represented by an icon of the ACTUAL unit--an infantry BRIGADE will look like a Confederate or Union soldier on the map. In detailed combat, BRIGADES are the actuall units you move and fire with.

a DIVISION XX is a collection of BRIGADES--think of it as a little suitcase for your units. Five or six Brigades come together to form a DIVISON XX. A division looks like your nations flag and has this symbol above it on the main map XX. To load the division with troops, click on a Brigade of troops and hover over the division. A little down arrow will appear. when you click the mouse button, the unit will be go inside the DIVISION XX flag. If you right click on the flag, you will actaully see the units inside the division listed in outline form.

A CORP XXX is a collection of DIVISIONS XX, and looks like your nation's flag with XXX above it. Once you have filled your DIVISIONS XX with troops, you can click your Division XX and hold your mouse above a CORP XXX. A little down arrow will appear and when you click, the whole division XX will go inside the Corp XXX. If you right click on a Corp XXX you can see all the Divisions XX you have put into the Corp XXX. This table will look like an outline, or like the file trees you use in Windows Explorer. from here you can move the troops around, and swap them between Divisions XX by simply clicking on a unit and dropping it into whatever Division XX you wish. You can even drop troops directly into the Corp as well.

An ARMY XXXX is a collection of CORPS XXX. Now think about that for a minute. If you fill a Division XX with five or six units of troops, the put 3 or 4 Divisions XX into a CORP XXX--That Corp probably has a lot of troops in it. Now take 2 or 3 of those CORPS XXX and put them into an ARMY XXXX, and you have a big ass force collected at that point.

IN SUMMARY: Dump all nearby units into an army (flag with XXXX above it). Then right click on the Army XXXX icon and sort your troops out in the window that opens.

ASSIGNING GENERALS--

Once you have put all your armies together, you need to dump some Generals into the Army XXXX. Simply click on your generals and then click on an Army XXXX located in the same province. When you right click on the Army XXXX, you will see all the generals clumped together in the list. From this window, you can move your generals into whatever Corp or division you like.

1 star general will be automaticaly assigned to a brigade during detailed combat, so you should drop several of them into Divisions where you have troops.

2 star general commands Divisions XX, and ONE should be droped into each of your divisions to command it.

3 star generals command CORPS XXX, and ONE should be Dropped into any CORPS XXX you may have in your army

4 star generals command entire ARMIES XXXX, and ONE should be dropped into your main ARMY XXXX icon.

Notice the Plus and Minus symbols. You can open or close divisions, corps and army to make it easier to navigate and sort through your divisions. once again, it works JUST LIKE WINDOWS EXPLORER.

so you have assembled your army, next you need to look at your economy.

ECONOMY--

Each province produces 4 MAIN RESOURCES. HORSES, IRON, LABOR, GOLD--but here is the catch, you have to decide which TWO of the FOUR resources each province will produce.

In the detailed city screen, at the bottom you can see a box with these resources and how much the province can produce. If you click on one, it will switch production to THAT resource.

So basically you must make two choice--will this Province Produce MONEY or LABOR and then click on the one you want that province to produce. Then you must decide, will this province produce IRON or HORSES. and click on the appropriate one.

For the most part, you should leave the production on what it started as, then occasionally switch production in certain provinces to make up for short falls as you need them in the game.

and don't forget, EVERYTIME you SWITCH PRODUCTION in a province, it makes the GOVERNER a little ANGRY.

Other Resources--guns, and such, are produced directly by buildings. and should be built as you need them.

SOME TIPS ON BUILDINGS--

CAMPS--you will need a decent number of these. Each CAMP on the map will generate 500 men per turn which are AUTOMATICALLY assigned to your depleted units every turn. Buid a TELEGRAPH in provinces that have a few camps in them, as this MULTIPLIES the effect of camps in the same provinces. the CATCH--CAMPS cost a LOT of HORSES.

BARRACKS--you want to have at least one PROVINCE with THREE (3) barracks--it takes three barracks in a province to build an army--you know, the flag with the XXXX above it. At first you will be able to cram all the troops in the Army XXXX you already have, but eventually your army will be full and you will need another one.j--plus you may want to put an army on the west front as well. ON a side note, it takes TWO (2) Barracks to build a CORPS XXX, and ONE (1) Barracks to build a Division XX or ANY OTHER MILITARY UNIT.

FOUNDRY--required to build ARTILLARY--you probably already have a couple on the map. Build more if needed.

HORSE FARMS--build these in provinces where you intend to continue producing HORSES--it is pointless to build these in a province where you are producing LABOR instead of HORSES. Same goes for mines which produce IRON, FACTORIES which produce LABOR, etc.

MANSIONS AND PLANTATIONS-- you must have one of these for every FOUR buildings in the province. If a Province only has one mansion, then you will not be able to build more than four buildings there. Plantations are just like mansions, but better in some ways.

PLEASE FEEL FREE to ask questions or request advice on other features. I will later elaborate on general gameplay flow.

(in reply to Mailer22)
Post #: 5
RE: Here is how to play (advice for the lost) - 12/4/2006 4:54:34 AM   
Gil R.

Thanks -- good job so far!

Remember that the City List has buttons at the bottom that let one "filter" so that he can see which cities can produce artillery, or ships, or divisions, etc. This is a great time-saver.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 6
RE: Here is how to play (advice for the lost) - 12/4/2006 10:25:59 AM   
usecase

That's a very useful post, thanks Tanaka, I remember finding your insights on UV and WITP very useful.

Here's the 'but' though - but the telegraph/camp thing is wrong. Camps always produce 500 replacements per turn, until you get the technology 'Invalid corps'. Telegraphs affect reinforcements in a battle.

It was a surprise to notice that you can queue up multiple buildings per city per turn - I guess too much Civ caused me to make that assumption.

I've found that as the Union, you already have too many armies - you don't have enough 4 star generals to put in command. At the outset, the only place the Union can build corps is in Harrisburg, PA.

I tend to build a lot of horse farms, arsenals, camps and RR stations at the beginning of the game. I've not felt the lack of sites for building siege artillery (it might be different for the CSA).

I've just discovered the joys of the military window - once you've 'exploded' all the military units, it's easy to see at a glance who has what.

Again, as the Union, I think the most important thing (in terms of troop management) at the start is to make sure you only give good weapons to troops with decent (say, > 2.5) quality. Low quality troops drop their weapons and run. The edge that the CSA have in troops at the start means you're likely to end up subsidising their war effort if you follow a 'Springfields all round' policy.

My last tip at the moment, is to have a plan. There's probably not much to be done in the east - the CSA has a better army. Beef up your forts in Maryland (I've noticed the AI will often invade). As a Brit and a civil war tyro, I've found either of the following plans useful;

1. Attack down the Mississippi, with a small sieging corps taking out the forts as you go.
2. Attack via Tennessee, along the Ohio, taking Chattanooga, Knoxsville, and then heading for Atlanta and points south east.

Oh, and per section 6.5 of the manual try and take the state capitals first.

Cheers,

John.

< Message edited by usecase -- 12/4/2006 10:34:34 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 7
RE: Here is how to play (advice for the lost) - 12/4/2006 7:15:05 PM   
Mailer22

Usecase,

Thank you, I hope it is helpful, however; it was me who wrote the post, not Tanika.

Also, it does appear that I may have been wrong about the way telegraphs work. Manual as well as roll over tips in game are a little confusing on this, hopefully a dev will comment on this. Some believe it influences the ability of an army to reinforce another during combat.

I will be adding more to this thread soon.

Mailer

(in reply to usecase)
Post #: 8
RE: Here is how to play (advice for the lost) - 12/4/2006 7:40:30 PM   
usecase

Oops, sorry for the mis-attribution!

(in reply to Mailer22)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Here is how to play (advice for the lost) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI