Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Own ships and planes shooting down own cruise missiles!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon 3 ANW Support >> Own ships and planes shooting down own cruise missiles! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Own ships and planes shooting down own cruise missiles! - 12/5/2006 4:57:45 AM   
KlubMarcus

How do I keep my own ships and planes from shooting down my own cruise missiles? They're shooting them down even when they are flying away from my units!
Post #: 1
RE: Own ships and planes shooting down own cruise missi... - 12/8/2006 9:40:46 PM   
KlubMarcus

quote:

ORIGINAL: VCDH Hey man, Can you tell me what version of the game you are playing, and also are you losing contact with your missiles and then picking them up again after the fact? Any missiles detected will be automatically considered hostile. This includes friendly missiles that you have lost contact with as they go over the horizon or beyond communications range. If your weapons are datalinked (such as SLAM) then you shouldn't lose contact with them at all. Later D
I'm playing on H3:ANW v3.7.0 and the cruise missiles getting shot down are the ones that are re-detected by own sensors. Is there a way to tweak the AI not to shoot at outgoing missiles?
Post #: 2
RE: Own ships and planes shooting down own cruise missi... - 12/8/2006 10:26:00 PM   
Dimitris

You can select "Weapons Tight" from the Game Preferences (IIRC) menu. While on tight, the AI will not engage air targets on its own at all.  After you no longer need the leash (e.g. your cruise missiles have expired successfully or otherwise) you can turn back to "Weapons Free" (either through the same menu or with the "~" hotkey).

(in reply to KlubMarcus)
Post #: 3
RE: Own ships and planes shooting down own cruise missi... - 12/9/2006 7:34:41 AM   
KlubMarcus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sunburn You can select "Weapons Tight" from the Game Preferences (IIRC) menu. While on tight, the AI will not engage air targets on its own at all. After you no longer need the leash (e.g. your cruise missiles have expired successfully or otherwise) you can turn back to "Weapons Free" (either through the same menu or with the "~" hotkey).
Yeah, but that's impractical against human players and scenarios with time limits. Sometimes you want/have to launch cruise missiles and planes at around the same time to get a lot of explosives on target. So the bug wastes a lot of time, effort, and ammo because your units are shooting down your own cruise missiles that are outbound.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 4
RE: Own ships and planes shooting down own cruise missi... - 12/9/2006 10:11:52 AM   
ComDev

I think I first reported this one back in 1996... this "issue" (since it's not really a bug, but more a AI shortcoming) is mainly causing problems for the AI-controlled sides, and really should be fixed.

For instance, an AI-controlled side launch a bunch of Tomahawk missiles from the CVBG. The CVBG soon loses track of the missiles due to their low RCS, but the outer CAP patrols pick them up on their radar screens, automatically ID them as hostile, and fire their LR and MR AAMs. The fighters will continue firing until the bogies are positively identified (visually). So this AI shortcoming will cause the fighters to fire all of their weapons, and destroy a large % of friendly cruise missiles. In effect destroying both its offensive and defensive capabilities.

This is one of the reasons I've been playing Harpoon2/3 with weapons tight for the last 10 years 8)

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to KlubMarcus)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon 3 ANW Support >> Own ships and planes shooting down own cruise missiles! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI