Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Re-occurring battles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Re-occurring battles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Re-occurring battles - 12/5/2006 7:59:46 PM   
Kadste

So, two situations have been occuring in my game as Union with advanced and quick combat turned off.

I have captured Tennessee Mississippi river, but left no troops in it. I have an army in the Delta, besieging to Confederate forts.
There is a Confederate division in the Arkansas Mississippi river.

Next turn.
The Confederate division moves to Tennessee Mississippi river, captures it. I move a Union force into Tennessee Mississippi river. We battle, the Confederates lose, they retreat to the Delta. We battle in the Delta. The Confederates lose again, retreat to Tennessee Mississippi river. We battle again, the Confederates lose yet again. Guess where they retreat to? Right, they retreat to the Delta and we battle yet again. this goes on and on.

On a subsequent turn there were 12 battles with this same division. It loses in a province, retreats and continues. It looks like it is fighting for the province, losing, retreating in a phase and fighting again when it retreats. Since there are 6 phases, sometimes 12 combats.

Is this the way the game should work? Does not sound right to me. Losing force should retreat to a province unoccupied by enemy.

Another situation:
I am besieging fort Pulaski in the Savannah river province. he has like 5 brigades as garrisons in the province. He attacks with each Brigade in turn (with the others in support) for a total of up to 5 combats in this province each turn. This again does not make sense, especially when he loses all the fights.

Anybody want the save game file?

"In difficult ground, press on;
In encircled ground, devise strategems;
In death ground, fight."

Sun Tzu, the Art of War (circa 400 B.C.)
Post #: 1
RE: Re-occurring battles - 12/5/2006 8:37:30 PM   
ericbabe

We changed the retreat code during testing so that units would always retreat into homeland provinces if they were available regardless of whether or not there were enemy troops there, and so that units would never retreat into enemy territory; players were frustrated that armies were able to retreat into their territory.  I fear that any rule we try to implement will have some poor cases in which it won't work.  I may be able to change the code to prefer home provinces without enemy units, which will fix this behavior in most situations.

As to your second report, brigades in garrison should not be initiating battles in any case.  If you have a save file for this, please send it to ericbabe@west-civ.com.

(in reply to Kadste)
Post #: 2
RE: Re-occurring battles - 12/6/2006 1:03:01 AM   
Twotribes

Only real example of this i saw had a brigade outside Pittsburg ( the province not the river one) attacked by union troops, it retreated to Cumberland was attacked again and.... retreated to that Pennsylvania province ( not the Confederate vally below it) this happened a bunch of time till eventually one one battle it did retreat to the Valley. Seems to me there was a reason it finally went south but it wasnt real important at the time so I forget.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 3
RE: Re-occurring battles - 12/6/2006 1:46:40 AM   
Gil R.

Pity the brigade couldn't be swept away to safety by one of them new-fangled landgoing submarines...

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Re-occurring battles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI