Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

USS Intrepid on the move again...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> USS Intrepid on the move again... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
USS Intrepid on the move again... - 12/5/2006 5:54:23 PM   
Feinder

CNN article on USS Intrepid move

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Post #: 1
RE: USS Intrepid on the move again... - 12/5/2006 7:56:37 PM   
Ron Saueracker

Still think it a darn shame that CV-6 and other more "historic" ships were scrapped in the 1959 mothball fleet purge yet we have so many other duplicate vessels like the Iowas and vessels which basically served as mothballed strategic reserves for their entire existance being made into museums. Imagine if we had an "as built" Essex like Franklin or Bunker Hill instead of four modernized Essexes, a treaty cruiser along with Little Rock and Salem, an old S-Boat or any pre war fleet boat instead of the dozen or so Gatos. A "gold plater" 1500 tonner DD would have been cool too.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 2
RE: USS Intrepid on the move again... - 12/5/2006 10:05:53 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

Still think it a darn shame that CV-6 and other more "historic" ships were scrapped in the 1959 mothball fleet purge yet we have so many other duplicate vessels like the Iowas and vessels which basically served as mothballed strategic reserves for their entire existance being made into museums. Imagine if we had an "as built" Essex like Franklin or Bunker Hill instead of four modernized Essexes, a treaty cruiser along with Little Rock and Salem, an old S-Boat or any pre war fleet boat instead of the dozen or so Gatos. A "gold plater" 1500 tonner DD would have been cool too.

It is sad that the Enterprise was scrapped. She saw more combat than most ships in World War II. We missed an opportunity to save the USS Cabot too. She was returned to the US Navy from Spain in the early 90s and scrapped in 1999. Efforts to preserve her failed.

Back in the 50s, people weren't interested in preserving things from World War II. Ed Mahoney was one of the few people in the world who had any interest in preserving World War II aircraft. He was able to pick up quite a few war relics for virtually nothing in the 1950s. Planes of Fame in Chino, CA now has some of the rarest planes in the world. They don't fly them anymore, but they are the only museum with a P-12 and a P-26 in flying condition. Both were flying back in the 80s.

I've also read about some crazy guy in the US Midwest somewhere who spent all his money in the 1950s-70s collecting aircraft. He is a paranoid recluse and doesn't even want anybody to know where he is. The author of a book I read on preserving warbirds managed to get an interview with him. He's getting quite old now and when he dies, his heirs are going to be selling off all his planes. Among his aircraft is a YB-36 which he hauled home in pieces. His collection is probably worth a couple hundred million today.

Ships are harder to preserve than planes. Unless you are a billionaire, you can't afford to buy a destroyer and tie it up somewhere. A couple of PT boats have been restored in recent years. One was restored here in Portland, though I haven't seen it. I have seen an unpreserved boat which is sitting in a vacant lot a block from the air museum at Pierson Field in Vancouver. A foundation is trying to raise money to restore that boat too. Though the second restoration is going to be tougher since the first one pirated parts off the other.

Bill

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 3
RE: USS Intrepid on the move again... - 12/6/2006 12:32:28 AM   
The Duke

Ron, I couldn't agree more.....I guess it's the same reason Joe Dimaggio rookie cards are valuable these days...back then nobody thought anything when they drove past 400 mothballed B-25s behind a fence.

Letting the Enterprise get scrapped was the most inexcusable of all......I guess we should simply be thankful we have some great ships still around - the last remaining WWI battleship Texas, the Constitution.....and arguably the most famous warship of all time, HMS Victory.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> USS Intrepid on the move again... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI