Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

seize the allied core

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> seize the allied core Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
seize the allied core - 12/6/2006 4:44:27 PM   
XG76

Hi all,

did anybody as IJN ever successfully invade Australia or Noumea? Found it pretty difficult, actually almost impossible...

Best regards,
Ralf
Post #: 1
RE: seize the allied core - 12/6/2006 10:26:53 PM   
Miller

The only realistic auto-victory target is Luganville.

Trying against anywhere in Aus or Noumea is suicide. It is not difficult to take one of the Aus ports but holding it till 1 Jan 43 is another matter. Keeping them in supply would be a VERY costly business, as LBA can both knock out supply at the base through port strikes and then be switched to attack any transport convoys. Even if covered by all of the KB, sooner or later the bombs will start hitting the flight decks and put the carriers out of action.

In one PBEM game a long time ago I managed to land a large number of troops at Townsville just before the end of 42 hoping to get an auto-victory. Despite my forces not being spotted until a day before landing and getting most of my troops ashore un-harmed I failed to capture the base. The Allied player used C-47 transports to airlift his infantry into the base plus moved other units by road towards it (they move quickly overland in southern Aus thanks to the road network).

Realising I could not overcome his troops I tried to evacuate but it got very messy as his LBA blasted my transports and I lost most of the troops ashore, in addition to many ships. I had taken a lot of Divisions from defensive positions to take part in the attack and left them vunerable to invasion. By early 43 the situation was unwinable and I was forced to conceed defeat

By the way are you playing the AI or a human?....as the above advice only applies to human opponents, the AI is way to easy to beat.

(in reply to XG76)
Post #: 2
RE: seize the allied core - 12/7/2006 9:34:40 AM   
XG76

Hi Miller,

I understand very well...
But since I just played two campaigns against the AI, I´d rate me as greenhorn regarding PBEM gaming UV. Of course, I´d be pretty hot for such a challenge! R U interested Admiral Miller, CinC USN?

BTW, do you (or somebody else) know the vintage 1994 QQP game "WWII - Battles of the South Pacific"? Before I got UV, this was my absolute favourite game - playing it again and again, only bothered about the dumb AI... never found any REAL tough opponent. There are some analogies in UV to this good ol´ game

Best,
Ralf

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 3
RE: seize the allied core - 12/7/2006 5:36:44 PM   
Miller

Hi, yes I would be willing to play you as my other games are going very slowly at the minute. However I would like to wait for the next patch (2.5) before starting another game. Remind me on when it arrives.

(in reply to XG76)
Post #: 4
RE: seize the allied core - 12/7/2006 7:15:35 PM   
tocaff

The V2.5 patch will not disrupt, so they say, a game in progress. 

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 5
RE: seize the allied core - 12/8/2006 2:20:28 PM   
wissooner

Hello, I won an auto vitory against a human opponent by capturing and holding onto to Rockhampton. It wasn't easy and it was very costly. I put over 100k troops in Rockhampton. My opponent could not dislodge them, so it was a matter of me supplying them. Like I said, it wasn't easy and it was very costly, but in the end I managed to have enough supply. It was a very close and exciting game. IMO auto victory is the only chance a japanese player has of winning one of the long scenarios. So I went for Rockhampton and won........................Ken

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 6
RE: seize the allied core - 12/8/2006 2:45:42 PM   
tocaff

Considering the distance involved and the proximity to Brisbane I'd say that it was one hell of a feat to pull off holding Rockhampton.  How long were you in control there?

(in reply to wissooner)
Post #: 7
RE: seize the allied core - 12/8/2006 4:00:01 PM   
XG76

quote:

ORIGINAL: wissooner

Hello, I won an auto vitory against a human opponent by capturing and holding onto to Rockhampton. It wasn't easy and it was very costly. I put over 100k troops in Rockhampton. My opponent could not dislodge them, so it was a matter of me supplying them. Like I said, it wasn't easy and it was very costly, but in the end I managed to have enough supply. It was a very close and exciting game. IMO auto victory is the only chance a japanese player has of winning one of the long scenarios. So I went for Rockhampton and won........................Ken

wissooner,

Had similiar intentions when considering an invasion of down under... but I did not dared the execution
I suppose you established the stream of supplies rather across the Coral Sea (staging thru the Solomons) than exposing your convoys to allied airpower along the Australian coast. How long has it taken you to get Rockhampton consolidated for the Empire?

Since it´s hard to deal with the massive carrier power of the USN and his steady flow of replacements aiming up on an auto victory isn´t that bad at all!

(in reply to wissooner)
Post #: 8
RE: seize the allied core - 12/10/2006 3:38:41 AM   
TAIL GUNNER

Hi, I wrote a short AAR a long time ago about my adventures Down under....good times.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=873476

(in reply to XG76)
Post #: 9
RE: seize the allied core - 12/10/2006 5:38:26 AM   
wissooner

IIRC, my opponent and I had fought a series of prior carriers engagements in which I came out on top. So I did not have to worry too much about Allied naval airpower leading up to the invasion. Land based airpower was another matter. I believe I landed in Rockhampton in November 42 in two runs and run the gauntlet of land based airpower at least one more time with a supply run into December. I was never able to establish a airfield there. My opponent closed it and pretty much kept it closed through out. An attack on Rockhampton against a human is not for the feint of heart to be sure.......................Ken

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 10
RE: seize the allied core - 12/12/2006 8:13:33 PM   
timtom

Back in the olden days before WitP, when the big beasts were still playing UV, it was certainly attempted - you might wanna check out some of the old AAR's,

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to wissooner)
Post #: 11
RE: seize the allied core - 12/15/2006 3:26:17 PM   
marky

yah ive seen it attempted, i think 1 guy actually TOOK Noumea once if i remember right

just remember of course u have to play differently against an actual human brain than the, ahem, computer "brain"

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> seize the allied core Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI