Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Naval Question.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Naval Question. Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Naval Question. - 12/8/2006 1:01:04 AM   
Mike Scholl

Was just examining the naval forces available to the North and the South in the July 1861 start. The Union, to which virtually the entire former United States Navy stayed loyal, starts the scenario with two "Fleet Containers" and 9 "ships". The Confederacy, which started the conflict with virtually no navy, starts the scenario with two "Fleets" and 5 "Ships". No wonder the AI has ships to do strange things with!

Could one of the designers please tell me what historical justification they have for this? I can't find anything anywhere that would suggest this possibility. "Blockade Runners, sure..., but the only seagoing warships I'm familiar with in Southern hands are vessels like the "Alabama" which were built abroad. What's the story here?
Post #: 1
RE: Naval Question. - 12/8/2006 1:13:12 AM   
sirduke_slith

there was a forum relating back to the naval power of the confederacy awhile ago, someone mentioned it was a bug. 

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 2
RE: Naval Question. - 12/8/2006 1:16:02 AM   
vonSchnitter

Sir !

May I admit, that I kind of like the early 61 scenario with the NV mod ? As a "Rebel" ?
I have been on "Full Monty" since day one ....
Played it as a "bluebelly" as well.

At the level of "1st Sarge" a lot of things may happen - blue or grey. And the way it works at this level is neither interesting nor "historic". Rebel "Navy" shooting up the Union side ... etc.

I "advanced" to 1st Luitenant level in grey livery - and guess what ? The AI "bottles up" my "navy" - I can hardly manage to join my first and second fleet. Very fast. Not a chance of a snow flake in hades to brake out.
And no more silly amphibious "expeditions" from either side neither.

Give it a "go" and then your pet peeve may have a solid background - if my obseservations are just based on "undernourished" statistics.

Cheers

Post #: 3
RE: Naval Question. - 12/8/2006 1:50:08 AM   
jimwinsor

Actually the real problem IMO is not so much that the CSA starts with a fleet, but the scale of the units involved.  FoF (like CoG before it) uses a 1 unit = 10 ship scale, and at this level any hardcore realism in the naval aspects of the game are going to be accidental at best.

Historically, the CSA started with no navy to speak of, yet by diverse means was able to cobble up some semblance of a navy; whether it made this "50 ship" mark by November 1861 I'm not sure, but that is really not the main problem; like I said the 1=10 scale is the main problem.  You cannot really get anything better than abstracted realism at this level.  And by that I mean, the Union has an initial strong edge (nearly 2-1) which with it can use to blockade the south, do invasions, supply landings, etc...

My advice when playing FoF is to lower your expectations for hardcore realism when it comes to the naval game, and accept the fact that this (currently) a heavily abstracted feature.  But in the meantime, YES do make concrete Wish List suggestions for the naval system, for a future features patch improvement.

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

(in reply to vonSchnitter)
Post #: 4
RE: Naval Question. - 12/8/2006 1:54:24 AM   
Gil R.

And as I mentioned elsewhere, you can modify the start file so that each CSA ship unit has a strength of 1, which will take nine turns sitting in a shipyard to get up to full strength. It's a way of hamstringing the CSA navy initially.

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 5
RE: Naval Question. - 12/8/2006 2:05:46 AM   
vonSchnitter

Scenario Editor ?

Is this the term we a re looking for Gil R ?

Cheers

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: Naval Question. - 12/8/2006 6:12:53 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

And as I mentioned elsewhere, you can modify the start file so that each CSA ship unit has a strength of 1, which will take nine turns sitting in a shipyard to get up to full strength. It's a way of hamstringing the CSA navy initially.

I'm not sure you're getting the point, Gil. The South didn't have FIVE naval vessels in July of 1861, let alone FIFTY and two Fleet Containers to put them in. They shouldn't be there..., they're a mistake in the OB. You said the designers "upped" the South's resources to make a more "even" game. They probably start with some better leaders (and should). But to give them a non-existant "Fleet" is just wrong historically. They never had a "Fleet", nor the means to build one, nor the intention of building one. Raiders and Runners, yes---but a Fleet of 50 seagoing warships? They never even dreamed of building a navy like that. It was the one area that the North had an almost exclusive advantage in from the first to the last. It should be removed, and shuffled off to some "fantasy scenario" where it belongs.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 7
RE: Naval Question. - 12/8/2006 6:02:14 PM   
jimwinsor

Well, no they had more than 5 in July, I think.  Omitting the CSA river navy, and just listing their sea or coasting capable vessels, it looks like they had as follows:

The South entered upon the war without any naval preparation, and with very limited resources by which its deficiencies could be promptly supplied. Indeed, it would hardly be possible to imagine a great maritime country more destitute of the means for carrying on a naval war than the Confederate States in 1861. No naval vessels, properly speaking, came into their possession, except the Fulton, an old side-wheeler built in 1837, and at this time laid up at Pensacola, and the sunken and half-destroyed hulks at Norfolk, of which only one, the Merrimac, could be made available for service. The seizures of other United States vessels included six revenue-cutters, the Duane at Norfolk, the William Aiken at Charleston, the Lewis Cass at Mobile, the Robert McClelland and the Washington at New Orleans, and the Henry Dodge at Galveston; ## three coast-survey vessels, the schooners Petrel and Twilight, and the steam-tender Firefly; and six or eight light-house tenders. As all of these were small, and most of them were sailing vessels, they were of little value.
       Several coasting or river steamers belonging to private owners, which were lying in Southern waters when the war broke out, were taken or purchased by the Confederate Government.

##The James C. Dobbin was also seized at Savannah, but was soon afterward released.-J. R. S.

The most important were the Jamestown and the Yorktown (afterward the Patrick Henry) at Richmond; the Selden at Norfolk; the Beaufort, Raleigh, Winslow, and Ellis, screw-tugs plying on the Chesapeake and Albemarle Canal; the side-wheel passenger boats Seabird and Curlew, in the North Carolina Sounds; the Nashville at Charleston, and the Everglade at Savannah.
       The Star of the West, whose name had been on everybody's lips after the attack made upon her in January, 1861, while she was attempting to relieve Fort Sumter, had subsequently sailed on transport service to Indianola, Texas, where she was seized in April by a party of Texas volunteers. In the Confederate navy she became the St. Philip. She was stationed at New Orleans as a receiving-ship when Farragut passed the forts, and fled with other vessels up the Mississippi River, taking refuge finally in the Yazoo. In March, 1863, when the ships of the Yazoo Pass expedition descended the windings of the Tallahatchie to attack Fort Pemberton, they found the river barricaded by the hull of a sunken vessel, which was no other than the once-famous Star of the West.
       The purchases and seizures made at New Orleans enabled the Confederate Government to equip at that point its only considerable fleet. The vessels fitted out successively by Commodores Rousseau and Hollins included the Habana, afterward the Sumter, in which Semmes made his first commerce-destroying cruise; the Enoch Train, which was altered into a ram and called the Manassas; the Florida and Pamlico, employed on Lake Pontchartrain; the Marques de la Habama (Mr. Rae), the Webb, Yankee (Jackson), Gros-tete (Maurepas), Lizzie Simmons (Pontchartrain), Ivy, General Polk, and a few others of smaller size. The State of Louisiana and the citizens of New Orleans also made purchases of vessels on their own account. Thus the Governor Moore and the General Quitman, which took part in the action at the forts, were State vessels; and the Enoch Train was originally purchased by private subscription. There were also a large number of flat-boats or coal-barges, destined for use as fire-ships, upon which Commodore George N. Hollins placed great reliance.

(http://www.civilwarhome.com/unionconfednavies.htm)

If you add up all the early seizures and purchases listed above, you get in the 20-30 range.  Now, the same article mentions CSA privateers as well...20 in number...throw those in and you have your 50 or so vessels the USA has to deal with at game start.

Of course, you could correctly point out that many (if not most) of these ships were in not first line modern fighting ships...but if you read the description of the 90 vessel Union navy in the same article, you'll see that comment can easily be made for them as well.

But in any case, like I pointed out above...the real problem is not so much the number of ships, but the 1=10 scale, IMO.

Post #: 8
RE: Naval Question. - 12/8/2006 6:33:36 PM   
Mike Scholl

jimwinsor Did you read this closely? Look at the vessels you are including. "Revenue Cutters", "Coast Survey Vessels", "Transports" "Light House Tenders", "Coasting and River Steamers", "Coal Barges". These are "miscellaneous support vessels", not ocean-going warships. Your list includes about five usefull ships, and mentions only one (the Habana/Sumpter) fit to be used as an ocean-going "raider".

What I'm saying is that just because it floats should not make it a "ship" in game terms. If the game used your definition, the Union would have about 1000 ships and 15 Fleets. The key statement in your presentation is: "The South entered upon the war without any naval preparation, and with very limited resources by which its deficiencies could be promptly supplied. Indeed, it would hardly be possible to imagine a great maritime country more destitute of the means for carrying on a naval war than the Confederate States in 1861. No naval vessels, properly speaking, came into their possession."

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 9
RE: Naval Question. - 12/8/2006 6:54:21 PM   
jimwinsor

Yes but did you read when I said this:

"Of course, you could correctly point out that many (if not most) of these ships were in not first line modern fighting ships...but if you read the description of the 90 vessel Union navy in the same article, you'll see that comment can easily be made for them as well."

Post #: 10
RE: Naval Question. - 12/8/2006 8:22:07 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimwinsor

Yes but did you read when I said this:

"Of course, you could correctly point out that many (if not most) of these ships were in not first line modern fighting ships...but if you read the description of the 90 vessel Union navy in the same article, you'll see that comment can easily be made for them as well."

I assume you mean...

The normal strength of the United States navy, if it so to be a navy at all, cannot be figured at much less than from 80 to 100 vessels, and this was the number in 1861. But of the actual total of 90, as shown by the navy list, 50 were sailing ships,-line-of-battle ships, frigates, sloops, and brigs,-which, splendid vessels as they had been in their day, were now as obsolete as the galleys of Themistocles. It was in placing a false reliance upon the these vessels that the Government was at fault: it should have recognized in the course of twenty years that their day was gone forever, that they were of no more use than if they did not exist, that they would only be the slaughter-house of their gallant crews in an encounter with a modern antagonist; and it should by that time have replaced every one of them by war-ships of the period.
At the beginning of President Lincoln's administration, out of the forty vessels composing the steam-fleet, one, the Michigan, was stationed on the lakes, and five were from one cause or another unserviceable. The remaining thirty-four, which comprised the whole of the effective force, were in the scattered situation that is usual in time of profound peace. Nine were laid up in ordinary, and with the traditional methods prevailing at the Navy Department, it would have taken some months to fit them out for sea. No orders had been issued for the general recall of the seventeen ships on foreign service, an operation requiring considerable time in those days, when no submarine cable existed. In the Home Squadron there were seven steamers, two of which, the sloop-of-war Brooklyn and the small steamer Wyandotte, were at Pensacola, two others, the gun-boats Mohawk and Crusader, were at New York; the Pawnee, a second-class sloop, was at Washington; and the Powhatan, a side-wheeler of 1850, was on her way home from Vera Cruz in company with the gun-boat Pocahontas. Five sailing ships were also attacked to this squadron,-the frigate Sabine and the sloop St. Louis, at Pensacola; the sloops Cumberland and Macedonia, at Vera Cruz or returning thence, and the store-ship Supply, at New York. These twelve vessels, together with the Anacostian, a small screw-tender, at the Washington Navy Yard, were all that could be said to be at the immediate disposal of the Administration.
When the vessels abroad were gathered in, and those in ordinary were fitted out, the Government had a little squadron of about 30 steamers, of which the most important were 5 screw-frigates (the sixth, the Merrimac, having been abandoned at Norfolk), 6 sloops of the first or Hartford class, 4 large side-wheelers, and 8 sloops of the second or Iroquois class. All these were exceedingly valuable as the nucleus of a fleet, but for the war which the Government had now on hand they could be considered as nothing more than this.

Please notice that the 80-100 warships noted don't include any of the "miscellaneous junk" you were listing for the Confederacy. They are all "warships". True, the sail-driven portion was certainly less valuable than the steam-driven portion---but any of them were capable of pounding what the South had available to kindling-wood in short order. It doesn't effect my arguement one bit. The North had approximately "90 Warships", and the South had approximately "none". So what the game SHOULD have in it's OB's is approximately the same thing. Union, 2-3 "Fleet Containers" and 90 ships (thirty of them modern and armed with better than "Improvised Weapons"); Confederacy, no "Fleet Containers" and a "Ship" unit with perhaps 1-2 ships in it. The "freebies" in the Game OB are a HUGE (and totally unwarrented) economic boon to the South. This was the ONE area where the Union held an insurmountable "edge"---and the scenario designers have chosen to take it away. It should be returned.

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 11
RE: Naval Question. - 12/9/2006 12:49:12 AM   
jimwinsor

Um...when the article says 50 of the Union ships "were now as obsolete as the galleys of Themistocles" then, yeah, I do kinda feel they should be in the same 2nd rate catagory as the converted CSA revenue cutters and the like.  At least, that seems to be the opinion of the author who wrote this article.  The phrase "they were of no more use than if they did not exist" leads me to believe the coverted CSA revenue cutter would NOT be pounded into kindling in a fair fight...in fact if the revenue cutter be a steam ship, my money would be on the revenue cutter.

Can you cite a contrary source?

Post #: 12
RE: Naval Question. - 12/9/2006 1:01:52 AM   
Mr. Z

I would like to briefly note that in general we were comfortable including both state navies and revenue cutters in CSA "fleets"--though I would agree that it is unfortunate that the game must currently treat them as full-fledged oceangoing warships. We may try to have a look at the naval OOBs to see what could be adjusted--though personally I think it would feel equally wrong to give the CSA *no* naval forces whatsoever.

< Message edited by Mr. Z -- 12/9/2006 1:11:06 AM >

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 13
RE: Naval Question. - 12/9/2006 1:07:10 AM   
Joram

I was wondering about this too because one of the things that give you victory points is blockading at least half the ports (and more VPs if you blockade them all). I couldn't for the life of me figure out how the Union was ever supposed to accomplish this with what they start with. Especially compared to the confederate navy. Plus the ships being fantastically expensive, I was wondering if it was ever even possible to build enough ships to do it.

Post #: 14
RE: Naval Question. - 12/9/2006 1:39:00 AM   
jimwinsor

Joram, actually you hit the nail on the head, although it is not so much ships the Union needs to build, but Fleet counters; only Fleets can blockade a port.

So, to pursue a blockade strategy is a long term investment for the Union to undertake.  Which BTW is perhaps as it should be; the Union blockade was never 100% effective.  In fact in the early years it was very pourous (about 90% of blockade runners getting thru).

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 15
RE: Naval Question. - 12/9/2006 2:11:24 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

Um...when the article says 50 of the Union ships "were now as obsolete as the galleys of Themistocles" then, yeah, I do kinda feel they should be in the same 2nd rate catagory as the converted CSA revenue cutters and the like.  At least, that seems to be the opinion of the author who wrote this article.  The phrase "they were of no more use than if they did not exist" leads me to believe the coverted CSA revenue cutter would NOT be pounded into kindling in a fair fight...in fact if the revenue cutter be a steam ship, my money would be on the revenue cutter.

Can you cite a contrary source?

And what do you arm the revenue cutter with? Anything big enough to be a threat to those "obsolete" ships and she'll turn turtle on you. Seriously, the "were now as obsolete as the galleys of Themistocles" line is fine if you are talking about vs. the Royal Navy..., but a full-sail ship-of-the-line was still still a serious warship compared to the collection of "ash and trash" the Confederacy found in it's hands. Until they managed to get the Virginia cobbled together, those "obsolete" ships still ruled Hampton Roads. And a day later when the Monitor showed up, the Union ruled those waters again.
Even an "obsolete warship" is better than no warship at all..., which is what the Confederacy had to start the war with.

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 16
RE: Naval Question. - 12/9/2006 2:30:33 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Z

I would like to briefly note that in general we were comfortable including both state navies and revenue cutters in CSA "fleets"--though I would agree that it is unfortunate that the game must currently treat them as full-fledged oceangoing warships. We may try to have a look at the naval OOBs to see what could be adjusted--though personally I think it would feel equally wrong to give the CSA *no* naval forces whatsoever.

I'm curious..., on what basis would this "feel wrong"? What are the historical "great deeds" of this Southern Fleet? You can point to a few solitary raiders like the Alabama, and some blockade runners..., but where and when did this Confederate "Fleet" go into action? What ports did it sieze? What landings did it support? What great naval actions did it participate in?

I don't understand your point at all. What "action" the South's "naval units" saw was almost exclusively in port defense, which can be represented in the game by forts and fortified cities. Why give the Confederacy access to a kind of naval capability they never had? As I said before, this is the ONE area in which the Union had a virtual monopoly during the Civil War. What's the point in taking it away? It's not like with the North having only two "Fleet" counters they can establish an a-historically quick blockade. And if the South wants to, they can always try to build an Ironclad Unit to contest what blockade is established. They have a much better economy in the game than they had in real life, so if they want one they should be able to squeeze one out. Whats the point of giving them a Fleet to start the game? Especially one 60% as strong as the Union's?

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 17
RE: Naval Question. - 12/9/2006 2:37:10 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

I was wondering about this too because one of the things that give you victory points is blockading at least half the ports (and more VPs if you blockade them all). I couldn't for the life of me figure out how the Union was ever supposed to accomplish this with what they start with. Especially compared to the confederate navy. Plus the ships being fantastically expensive, I was wondering if it was ever even possible to build enough ships to do it.

I agree. You are right on the money. Giving the South a "free navy" really hamstrings the Union's ability to ever mount a successfull blocade because once that fleet is built it is very easy and cheap to "repair" and very difficult to "eliminate". Just building the necessary "Fleet Containers" effectively prevents the Union from mounting an a-historically quick blocade of the South. giving the South two free "fleet Containers" and the ships to put in them makes it virtually impossible to achieve the historic results.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 18
RE: Naval Question. - 12/9/2006 2:59:03 AM   
jimwinsor

I dunno...a few longer range guns mounted on a steamer, it seems to me, could make short work of an obsolete sailing sloop or brig (which is what the vast majority of the 50 Union sail ships were...not ships-of-the-line) with short range Napoleonic cannon.  But like I said, if you can find a battle or another source claiming otherwise I'd cheerfully reevaluate that opinion.

I think this does point to a useful change that can be made to starting navies, and that in it's Quality ratings.  As things stand all starting ships are somewhat unimaginitively given "4" morale ratings (FoF calls this Quality now, IIRC).  I think it's fair to say the CSA Navy ships should all be lower...a LOT lower...with 1s and 1.5s predominating....maybe a 2.

Same with the 50 ships of the Union sail navy...1s and 2s I'd say.

Post #: 19
RE: Naval Question. - 12/9/2006 4:37:47 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

I dunno...a few longer range guns mounted on a steamer, it seems to me, could make short work of an obsolete sailing sloop or brig (which is what the vast majority of the 50 Union sail ships were...not ships-of-the-line) with short range Napoleonic cannon.  But like I said, if you can find a battle or another source claiming otherwise I'd cheerfully reevaluate that opinion. Check out the weights of those new longer-ranged guns and the size of the average "Revenue Cutter" (designed to stop smugglers, not mount heavy armament)

I think this does point to a useful change that can be made to starting navies, and that in it's Quality ratings.  As things stand all starting ships are somewhat unimaginitively given "4" morale ratings (FoF calls this Quality now, IIRC).  I think it's fair to say the CSA Navy ships should all be lower...a LOT lower...with 1s and 1.5s predominating....maybe a 2.

Same with the 50 ships of the Union sail navy...1s and 2s I'd say.

Well, some suggestion of compromise is welcome. But I still think we're talking "apples and oranges". Like I said, if you include in the Union Fleet all the various miscellaneous support vessels you want to count for the South, the North is going to have 900 ships. What we need to establish is some base line as to what constitutes a "ship" in game terms? Are we talking armed, sea-going, warships or just everything that floats? Obviously the modern screw frigates count as one..., but where do we draw the line? Is a Revenue Cutter 1/10th of a "ship"? How much is a "coal barge"? 1/1000th? Or do we just establish a cut-off point, and everything below that doesn't count? Does sail power automatically halve the value?

As to "quality" remember the Union fleet starts composed of the professional sailors of the United States navy, while the South is grabbing for anyone with some sailing experiance and has a real shortage of Professional Naval Officers (they got some great people from West Point, but not much from Annapolis)

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 20
RE: Naval Question. - 12/9/2006 9:14:21 AM   
Director

The Union Navy comprised different ships for different jobs, using deep-water frigates and sloops for heavy combat power (New Orleans, Mobile Bay) and everything from heavily-armed ferryboats to purpose-built shallow-draft double-enders for close-in blockade work. Some of these 'small-boys' were heavily armed for the period with 9" and 11" Dahlgrens and Parrott rifles from 20pdrs to 150 pdrs, and many of them were rapidly brought into service (the first gunboats were called '90-day' for their construction time, and the Eads river ironclads took little longer).

So it really isn't possible to say 'a ship is a ship' if you are comparing a 50-gun 'Merrimack'-class frigate to the gunboat 'Commodore Jones'. If you have to quantify for game terms count the big frigates and sloops as one ship each and the merchant conversions and gunboats as one-half or one-third. Given the forces off Charleston when the Confederate ironclads sortied, that's about 6 'ships'. If you add in the vessels at Port Royal, etc the number is of course higher.

Logically the solution is to give the Union several Fleet structures and allow a 'draft' of commercial vessels into military service. The same one-time 'draft' could be used to create the Confederate river squadrons that fought at Memphis and New Orleans. If that isn't possible by mechanics, then reduce the CS Navy to almost zero (allow some Virginia state ships) and allow the US several naval containers but few ships, or the ability to immediately build containers.

Three good sources: 'Arming the Fleet' by Spencer Tucker. 'The Old Steam Navy' by Donald L Canney )2 volumes), 'Confederate Shipbuilding' by William N Still, Jr.

Post #: 21
RE: Naval Question. - 12/9/2006 11:29:09 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Director

The Union Navy comprised different ships for different jobs, using deep-water frigates and sloops for heavy combat power (New Orleans, Mobile Bay) and everything from heavily-armed ferryboats to purpose-built shallow-draft double-enders for close-in blockade work. Some of these 'small-boys' were heavily armed for the period with 9" and 11" Dahlgrens and Parrott rifles from 20pdrs to 150 pdrs, and many of them were rapidly brought into service (the first gunboats were called '90-day' for their construction time, and the Eads river ironclads took little longer).

So it really isn't possible to say 'a ship is a ship' if you are comparing a 50-gun 'Merrimack'-class frigate to the gunboat 'Commodore Jones'. If you have to quantify for game terms count the big frigates and sloops as one ship each and the merchant conversions and gunboats as one-half or one-third. Given the forces off Charleston when the Confederate ironclads sortied, that's about 6 'ships'. If you add in the vessels at Port Royal, etc the number is of course higher.

Logically the solution is to give the Union several Fleet structures and allow a 'draft' of commercial vessels into military service. The same one-time 'draft' could be used to create the Confederate river squadrons that fought at Memphis and New Orleans. If that isn't possible by mechanics, then reduce the CS Navy to almost zero (allow some Virginia state ships) and allow the US several naval containers but few ships, or the ability to immediately build containers.

Three good sources: 'Arming the Fleet' by Spencer Tucker. 'The Old Steam Navy' by Donald L Canney )2 volumes), 'Confederate Shipbuilding' by William N Still, Jr.

Some good points here, but mostly dealing with later on in the war when the "ships" (in game terms" would have been purchased through the game's economic system. What we're really interested in is what each side should recieve in the "Scenario Start OB's" (the stuff they don't have to "buy"). Should the South start with any "ships" and "fleets" at all? And how many "ships" and "fleets" should the United States Navy have at the start of the scenarios? I'm saying the South really doesn't qualify for an "ocean-going Navy" at all (just raiders and runners), and other's are defending the Scenario Stats which give the South five "ships" to the North's nine, and both sides two "Fleet" counters. You seem to have some good sources available..., please feel free to join in on the "how much do you start with" question. We can assume anything about what is built later, as both sides will have had to "pay" for those.

(in reply to Director)
Post #: 22
RE: Naval Question. - 12/9/2006 11:41:49 AM   
chris0827

On april 19th, 1861 the US navy consisted of 42 ships carrying 555 guns and 7600 men. By jan 1st 1862 it had grown to 264 ships carrying 2557 guns and 22000 men.

Post #: 23
RE: Naval Question. - 12/9/2006 11:57:18 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris0827

On april 19th, 1861 the US navy consisted of 42 ships carrying 555 guns and 7600 men. By jan 1st 1862 it had grown to 264 ships carrying 2557 guns and 22000 men.

These being vessels actually "in commission". What about those "laid up in ordinary" which could be re-commissioned in three months or so? We know the Navy had a lot of "spare guns" ashore, because that's where the Confederates got most of what they had during the war (from Norfolk and the like) and which armed many of their fortifications. Do you have equivelent numbers and arms for the South in April of 1861? Or July? or 1 January, 1862? Hard facts and a solid breakdown by ship type or tonnage and of armament afloat/ashore in the early days of the war would be of real use in this discussion.

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 24
RE: Naval Question. - 12/9/2006 12:23:00 PM   
chris0827

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris0827

These being vessels actually "in commission". What about those "laid up in ordinary" which could be re-commissioned in three months or so? We know the Navy had a lot of "spare guns" ashore, because that's where the Confederates got most of what they had during the war (from Norfolk and the like) and which armed many of their fortifications. Do you have equivelent numbers and arms for the South in April of 1861? Or July? or 1 January, 1862? Hard facts and a solid breakdown by ship type or tonnage and of armament afloat/ashore in the early days of the war would be of real use in this discussion.

I don't have any confederate numbers. I don't think they captured any warships intact. They had to improvise everything. In my opinion the only navy they should have at the start of the game is blockade runners. They had no real warships and only the shipyards at Norfolk were capable of producing any.

Post #: 25
RE: Naval Question. - 12/9/2006 12:40:35 PM   
chris0827

28 of the 42 union ships were on foreign station. In addition there were 21 ships unfit to go to sea and 27 ships undergoing repairs or not yet completed. In february the confederate navy consisted of 10 ships carrying 15 guns.

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 26
RE: Naval Question. - 12/9/2006 1:11:12 PM   
Jonathan Palfrey

Battle Cry of Freedom:

The Confederacy began life with no navy and few facilities for building one. The South possessed no adequate shipyards except the captured naval yard at Norfolk, and not a single machine shop capable of building an engine large enough to power a respectable warship ...

... Mallory proved equal to the task of creating a navy from scratch. He bought tugboats, revenue cutters, and river steamboats to be converted into gunboats for harbor patrol. Recognizing that he could never challenge the Union navy on its own terms, Mallory decided to concentrate on a few specialized tasks that would utilize the South's limited assets to maximum advantage. He authorized the development of "torpedoes" (mines) to be planted at the mouths of harbors and rivers; by the end of the war such "infernal devices" had sunk or damaged forty-three Union warships. He encouraged the construction of "torpedo boats", small half-submerged cigar-shaped vessels carrying a contact mine on a bow-spar for attacking blockade ships ...

The commerce raiders built in Britain represented an important part of Confederate naval strategy ... At first the South depended on privateers for this activity ... On April 17 [1861], Davis offered letters of marque to any southern shipowner who wished to turn privateer. About twenty such craft were soon cruising the sea lanes off the Atlantic coast, and by July they had captured two dozen prizes.

[By early 1862] Confederate privateers as such had disappeared from the seas ... the Union blockade made it difficult to bring prizes into Southern ports, and neutral nations closed their ports to prizes. The Confederacy thence turned to commerce raiders -- warships manned by naval personnel and designed to sink rather than to capture enemy shipping ... began in June 1861, when the five-gun steam sloop C.S.S. Sumter evaded the blockade ... During the next six months the Sumter captured or burned eighteen vessels before Union warships finally bottled her up in the harbor at Gibraltar in January 1862. Semmes sold the Sumter to the British and made his way across Europe to England, where he took command of the C.S.S. Alabama and went on to bigger achievements.

Post #: 27
RE: Naval Question. - 12/9/2006 1:28:33 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jonathan Palfrey

Battle Cry of Freedom:

The Confederacy began life with no navy and few facilities for building one. The South possessed no adequate shipyards except the captured naval yard at Norfolk, and not a single machine shop capable of building an engine large enough to power a respectable warship ...

... Mallory proved equal to the task of creating a navy from scratch. He bought tugboats, revenue cutters, and river steamboats to be converted into gunboats for harbor patrol. Recognizing that he could never challenge the Union navy on its own terms, Mallory decided to concentrate on a few specialized tasks that would utilize the South's limited assets to maximum advantage. He authorized the development of "torpedoes" (mines) to be planted at the mouths of harbors and rivers; by the end of the war such "infernal devices" had sunk or damaged forty-three Union warships. He encouraged the construction of "torpedo boats", small half-submerged cigar-shaped vessels carrying a contact mine on a bow-spar for attacking blockade ships ... This is exactly the point I've been trying to make..., that in game terms the South had no "Fleets" or "ships"..., and no real means to build a "blue water Navy". And that what they did have and build is better represented as "improvements" to harbor and fort defenses. Giving the South a "High Seas Fleet" destroys the Civil War "flavor" of the game and just "feels" totally wrong because nothing like "fleet actions" ever occurred during that struggle. Thanks.[/b]

The commerce raiders built in Britain represented an important part of Confederate naval strategy ... At first the South depended on privateers for this activity ... On April 17 [1861], Davis offered letters of marque to any southern shipowner who wished to turn privateer. About twenty such craft were soon cruising the sea lanes off the Atlantic coast, and by July they had captured two dozen prizes.

[By early 1862] Confederate privateers as such had disappeared from the seas ... the Union blockade made it difficult to bring prizes into Southern ports, and neutral nations closed their ports to prizes. The Confederacy thence turned to commerce raiders -- warships manned by naval personnel and designed to sink rather than to capture enemy shipping ... began in June 1861, when the five-gun steam sloop C.S.S. Sumter evaded the blockade ... During the next six months the Sumter captured or burned eighteen vessels before Union warships finally bottled her up in the harbor at Gibraltar in January 1862. Semmes sold the Sumter to the British and made his way across Europe to England, where he took command of the C.S.S. Alabama and went on to bigger achievements.
"Raiders" and "Runners" were the South's "blue water naval effort", not traditional fleets..., and the game handles such efforts in other ways. "Ships" and "Fleet Containers" just don't represent the South's naval policy in any realistic way. Again, thanks.

(in reply to Jonathan Palfrey)
Post #: 28
RE: Naval Question. - 12/9/2006 1:44:24 PM   
Ironclad

Whilst acknowledging different counts for the initial number of Confederate ships. Spencer Tucker in the "Blue and Gray Navies" gives them as - 5 ships inherited from the seceded states and through seizure or purchase 4 revenue cutters, 3 slavers, 2 privately owned coastal steamers and the old side-wheeler Fulton laid up at Pensacola Navy Yard. Only the latter was a purpose built warship.

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 29
RE: Naval Question. - 12/9/2006 1:57:58 PM   
Jonathan Palfrey

Yes, Mike, I agree with you. What struck me particularly was that the Confederacy had "not a single machine shop capable of building an engine large enough to power a respectable warship".

For the ironclad Virginia: "Unable to build new engines of adequate horsepower, the rebels reconditioned the two old Merrimack engines that had been condemned by the prewar navy and slated for replacement. The weight of the Virginia's armor gave her a draft of twenty-two feet. This prevented operations in shallow water while her unseaworthiness prevented her from venturing into the open sea."

She sank two full warships, but she was a weapon with severe limits. And the Confederacy hadn't the capability to build engines to power more ships of the same kind -- though it built smaller ironclads for use on rivers.

It seems to me that (a) the Confederacy shouldn't start with a navy, and (b) it probably shouldn't be able to build one, either. Torpedoes and torpedo boats can be factored into coastal fort defences.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Naval Question. Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI