Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Modding the Overview Map

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Mods and Scenarios >> Modding the Overview Map Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Modding the Overview Map - 12/5/2006 4:28:37 PM   
jonreb31

Is it at all possible to mod the Overview map to show Brigades, Garrisons, Raiders, etc?

< Message edited by JonReb -- 12/5/2006 4:37:36 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Modding the Overview Map - 12/5/2006 6:45:01 PM   
ericbabe

That may be a feature we could add in a patch, but it wouldn't be possible with a mod to the game data files.

(in reply to jonreb31)
Post #: 2
RE: Modding the Overview Map - 12/5/2006 6:54:37 PM   
jonreb31

Ok, it's not a big deal, though. It just would be useful to do that.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 3
RE: Modding the Overview Map - 12/8/2006 5:51:50 PM   
Odox

Greetings gentlemen:

After spending literally hours and days reading the AARs and Discussions, my respect for what the designers, developers and testers have accomplished with FoF continues to grow.

I am, however, going to second the request for a larger and more detailed map. I understand that (I believe according to ericbabe) a new overview map is an 'enormous undertaking', so we can hopefully trust that a gifted and inspired modder may feel the call to provide the FoF community with an even better (and more functional) work of art. Some of the excellent examples of what was done with WitP come to mind; overview maps of such high-quality and functionality that, by general consensus, they eventually seemed to supplant the stock map. I wish I were so skilled.

I seem to recall in a thread how the limitations of the current overview map affected such things as the placement of Fts Henry and Donelson and the city of Wheeling, if I remember correctly. Perhaps a more functional and detailed map may alleviate such restrictions, and maybe even allow more detail, such as what were normally minor rivers becoming impassable (and  not navigable) by storm events for a turn.  I understand the  'province'  format (sizes and delineations) would probably need to remain as they are because their forage capacities are preset.

However, please don't misconstrue these suggestions to be anything but suggestions. I remain impressed with what this team has accomplished, and I am continually encouraged to see so many positive exchanges in these forums. I'm definitely hoping the game will be available sooner rather than later on CD.

Respectfully,

Odox  

(in reply to jonreb31)
Post #: 4
RE: Modding the Overview Map - 12/14/2006 11:02:05 PM   
christof139

When is the game coming out on CD?? I just updated my computer to 2.256G RAM and a NVIDA GeForce FX 5200 PCI graphics card made by PNY, and this has made a vast improvement to my 3-year old Acer machine with its correspongingly older motherbroard. My 'Compooter' now computes very wonderfully the graphics in Battle for Middle Earth II and the expansion Return of the Witch King. Very nice, even with the lower end FX 5200 card. All my settings are not high res., but the unit icons/models and something else that I forget is set to ultra-high, and there are one or two more high settings, with shading and shaders set to low and off, texture, VFX or Special Effects and a few other things to medium or low settings, and the game plays fast and great and looks good. My CPU is a 1.8-1.9-2.0 GHz P4 - somewhere in there - and the additional RAM makes up for the lower speed CPU just fine. I previously had an NVIDA GE MX 4000 and it stunk, bad, casused screen refresh blinks and lock-ups, was made by BFG, and only 768MB RAM. Now, I am one happy camper!!! Should have not any probs. with FoF!!!

For those of you with lower speed CPU's, just greatly increase the RAM and they work great.
In fact, I may increase my RAM up to 2.512 or 3GB. Too bad I have only 3 RAM slots.

So, when, please-oh-please, is FoF coming out on CD?? I need it, as I am an ACW buff and was born back then I think anyway, and have much info. that I can share. I have a great book that lists every known ship used by both sides during the ACW, and includes stats for armament, engines, ship dimensions etc. where known, and much is known and some is not. The Trans mississippi Thater I enjoy the most. I know this paragraph belongs in the Mod forum, but I am busy, so please forgive this paragraph. I also like and think the Gen's. Bios posted in the Mod sub-forum are good and appreciate the info. and Mod Work being done, and the new patch, even though I don't have FoF yet, but am saving these things so I don't have to do it later. Thanx to everyone doing these great things.

Take care, Chris

(in reply to Odox)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Mods and Scenarios >> Modding the Overview Map Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI