Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

this is really cool

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> this is really cool Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
this is really cool - 12/9/2006 2:22:18 AM   
freeboy

what I learned today.. sieges need good art or you loss all your attacking troops...
you can get those little cities to function, in a river etc by clicking on them direnctly.. it really is easy to win, if you set the levels correctly low

Thanks for the patch.. time to raise the bar.. although it really was fun using my well trained and "specialized" troops to run rufshod over an enemy position.. largest battle to date in detailed combat was 53k rebs getting routed in about ten turns by 83k union troops, not my best either as they always go west

Post #: 1
RE: this is really cool - 12/9/2006 4:24:14 AM   
Bungo_Pete

you lose all your attacking troops?.This game is looking more and more like civ2 witha civa war wrappa pass.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 2
RE: this is really cool - 12/9/2006 4:59:40 AM   
cdbeck

Take it from a civ fan, this game is NOTHING like Civ. Other than it contains cities and armies anyway (which would make civ like EVERY military game). If you must make comparisons, I would say that FoF plays like Europa Universalis, expect for that it is strictly turn based and you actually control the battles. You jump in the game with sizable forces, an entire economy completely set up, anda whole set of different provinces with different concerns. Economic change is incremental (you are not going to turn Harrisburg, PA into a horse producing wonder, for example), another comparison to EU (but not civ, where cities are carbon copies of one another).

Sieges take many many turns of just having an army parked outside. You don't always have to have artillery, but it helps. Depends on the size of the fort/city, the size of the enemy force, and the size of the sieging force.

Son of Montfort

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Bungo_Pete)
Post #: 3
RE: this is really cool - 12/9/2006 5:23:43 AM   
Grotius

In fact, you can choose a siege method ("encircle") that doesn't rely so heavily on artillery; essentially, you try to starve the defenders out.

And I agree with Son-of-Montfort: much as I love "Civ," this game is not Civ. It is a far deeper military sim, coupled with some of Civ's production and tech features.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 4
RE: this is really cool - 12/9/2006 5:46:45 AM   
freeboy

I keep looking forthe seige method any clue on how to change?

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 5
RE: this is really cool - 12/9/2006 5:53:26 AM   
Airborne82nd

Hey Freeboy.  The first turn move into the area you want to seige.  The 2nd turn you begin the seige by clicking on the military unit (corp/div/etc).  The next turn you click on the seige encampment site (not the military unit)and you are given options to change Normal (default) to one of many different types.

"Land Soft, Kill Quiet"

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 6
RE: this is really cool - 12/9/2006 5:55:53 AM   
freeboy

does that seem odd to anyone other than myself? why not just add it to the down list when you click the start encirclement.. THANK YOU,, myy next game wiull up the ante and play against a much harder reb foe..

(in reply to Airborne82nd)
Post #: 7
RE: this is really cool - 12/9/2006 9:32:33 AM   
Joram

Agreed, it seems cumbersome. However, there is some graphical information provided with the siegeworks too but frankly, I'd give that up for a simpler dropdown.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 8
RE: this is really cool - 12/9/2006 2:49:22 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Montfort. Ive played Civ myself and you have hit the Nail on the Head. For a "yankee" you're pretty smart.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

Take it from a civ fan, this game is NOTHING like Civ. Other than it contains cities and armies anyway (which would make civ like EVERY military game). If you must make comparisons, I would say that FoF plays like Europa Universalis, expect for that it is strictly turn based and you actually control the battles. You jump in the game with sizable forces, an entire economy completely set up, anda whole set of different provinces with different concerns. Economic change is incremental (you are not going to turn Harrisburg, PA into a horse producing wonder, for example), another comparison to EU (but not civ, where cities are carbon copies of one another).

Sieges take many many turns of just having an army parked outside. You don't always have to have artillery, but it helps. Depends on the size of the fort/city, the size of the enemy force, and the size of the sieging force.

Son of Montfort

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> this is really cool Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI