Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

FoF on a widescreen LCD monitor?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> FoF on a widescreen LCD monitor? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FoF on a widescreen LCD monitor? - 12/9/2006 5:42:47 AM   
Temple

My wonderful Sony Trinatron CRT, five years old, is starting to die . I guess I'm finally going to have to break down and buy a new LCD monitor, and pretty much nowadays everyone is pushing widescreens at you. Will FoF run normally on a widescreen or does it need to be tweaked, or the monitor tweaked, or what? I know practically nothing about widescreen and gaming (particularly wargaming) on them.
Post #: 1
RE: FoF on a widescreen LCD monitor? - 12/9/2006 5:49:09 AM   
Adam Parker

I'm running a widescreen laptop with no probs.

But I'd buy the screen for the screen and not for the game! For LCD though I like the Samsung zero dead pixel guarantee. They've got some super fast refresh rates too for 19 inch and above.

(in reply to Temple)
Post #: 2
RE: FoF on a widescreen LCD monitor? - 12/9/2006 5:52:30 AM   
Tacoma

I have a 24" Dell widescreen LCD and the game looks and plays great. I didn't have to make any adjustments. Screen was full right from the start...

If you're shopping for a 24" LCD, Gateway just recently released a 24" HD monitor for under $700 bucks... you can grab it at Best Buy!

< Message edited by Tacoma -- 12/9/2006 6:02:17 AM >

(in reply to Temple)
Post #: 3
RE: FoF on a widescreen LCD monitor? - 12/9/2006 9:11:23 AM   
Jonathan Palfrey

I use a semi-widescreen laptop (1440 by 900 pixels) and the game runs OK. The only disadvantage I know of is that the aspect ratio is distorted: I see exactly what I would see on a normal screen, but stretched horizontally to fill my screen.

This is tolerable, but it's not the best way of using a wide screen. The better ways would be:

1. Use the whole screen without stretching the picture -- by showing more of the map to left and right.

2. Use less than the full screen: leave black strips on the left and right edges of the screen.

3. Display the game in a window rather than full-screen.

(in reply to Temple)
Post #: 4
RE: FoF on a widescreen LCD monitor? - 12/9/2006 2:10:43 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

The only disadvantage I know of is that the aspect ratio is distorted:

You normally can have the monitor adjust this (if he features different apsect rations) or let the graphic card driver handle this. Consult your LCDs manual for this, or check the preferences of your graphic card driver.

(in reply to Jonathan Palfrey)
Post #: 5
RE: FoF on a widescreen LCD monitor? - 12/9/2006 2:42:36 PM   
Nibelung

I have the same problem but I'm a bit unsure you can do that Marc, a game is not a standard windows application. If you run with DirectX in fullscreen mode, then FoF will runs in 1024x768 and full screen, and there is nothing you can do to prevent that, except if you switch to windowed mode. If FoF can run in windowed, then this is cool though!

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 6
RE: FoF on a widescreen LCD monitor? - 12/9/2006 2:45:07 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nibelung

I have the same problem but I'm a bit unsure you can do that Marc, a game is not a standard windows application. If you run with DirectX in fullscreen mode, then FoF will runs in 1024x768 and full screen, and there is nothing you can do to prevent that, except if you switch to windowed mode. If FoF can run in windowed, then this is cool though!

The monitors aspect ratio support has nothing to do with a windowed application or DirectX. It is a feature of your monitor or graphic card driver in order to prevent "stretching".

< Message edited by Marc Schwanebeck -- 12/9/2006 2:53:04 PM >

(in reply to Nibelung)
Post #: 7
RE: FoF on a widescreen LCD monitor? - 12/9/2006 4:33:33 PM   
Jonathan Palfrey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

quote:

The only disadvantage I know of is that the aspect ratio is distorted:

You normally can have the monitor adjust this (if he features different apsect rations) or let the graphic card driver handle this. Consult your LCDs manual for this, or check the preferences of your graphic card driver.

Thanks for the suggestion. I dug into my monitor settings, and discovered that I have access to an ATI Catalyst Control Center, which seems to offer me the options of scaling images to fill the whole screen, scaling while preserving the aspect ratio, or not scaling.

I'm experimenting with not scaling. With this option, Forge of Freedom appears unstretched in the centre of the screen, with black on all sides, because the unscaled image isn't big enough to cover even the full height of the screen. I'll try it like that for a while and see how I go.

I'll be interested to see whether this setting affects any other programs. So far, it doesn't seem to. I use the computer mainly for work and don't play a lot of games on it.

Post #: 8
RE: FoF on a widescreen LCD monitor? - 12/9/2006 5:29:55 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

I'll be interested to see whether this setting affects any other programs. So far, it doesn't seem to. I use the computer mainly for work and don't play a lot of games on it.

Nope it does not affect other applications. Only such that have a hard coded resolution.

It is basically the same like the black bars (called "letterbox" ) when you watch 16:9 or CinemasScope movies on a 4:3 TV.

< Message edited by Marc Schwanebeck -- 12/9/2006 5:39:08 PM >

(in reply to Jonathan Palfrey)
Post #: 9
RE: FoF on a widescreen LCD monitor? - 12/9/2006 5:51:01 PM   
dude

I'm rather enjoying using my Dell 32" LCD TV as a monitor lately...  No problem seeing anything.

Post #: 10
RE: FoF on a widescreen LCD monitor? - 12/9/2006 6:40:45 PM   
nmleague

I recently upgraded to a Dell super sharp 24" wide screen monitor , its fantastic for both FOF and Maximum Football.   Im using my wives computer with a 17" flat screen to type this and its like going back to the stone age.

(in reply to dude)
Post #: 11
RE: FoF on a widescreen LCD monitor? - 12/9/2006 10:01:08 PM   
Tacoma

Just like the old saying, SIZE does matter!

(in reply to nmleague)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> FoF on a widescreen LCD monitor? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI