Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question on over qualified Commanders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Question on over qualified Commanders Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question on over qualified Commanders - 12/11/2006 7:00:46 AM   
Tanaka

Can a corps leader lead a division and give benefits? An army leader a corps? Army leader a division?

Post #: 1
RE: Question on over qualified Commanders - 12/11/2006 7:23:52 AM   
Gil R.

Yes to all three.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 2
RE: Question on over qualified Commanders - 12/11/2006 9:09:00 AM   
Tanaka

Thanks! Are these benefits to the whole division or corps? And then the extra generals give benefits only to brigades?

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 12/11/2006 9:19:23 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
RE: Question on over qualified Commanders - 12/11/2006 1:45:10 PM   
elmo3

I assume it depends on where you place them in the containers. If you put that 4 star general at the division level then he would not be commanding the corps or the army.

Edit - And if you leave a one star at the army or corp level then he isn't commanding anyone as he does not have the needed rank to command at those levels.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 12/11/2006 1:57:22 PM >

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 4
RE: Question on over qualified Commanders - 12/11/2006 8:35:21 PM   
Gil R.

Yes, it depends where one puts the superfluous high-ranking general. Inside a division, he boosts the performance of a single brigade.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 5
RE: Question on over qualified Commanders - 5/5/2009 8:57:13 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

I assume it depends on where you place them in the containers. If you put that 4 star general at the division level then he would not be commanding the corps or the army.

Edit - And if you leave a one star at the army or corp level then he isn't commanding anyone as he does not have the needed rank to command at those levels.

Still trying to understand generals:

So the 4 star general would not be commanding a division if placed in a division with a 2 star general? The 2 star would still lead the division? Why does the 4 star not pull rank? Does the 4 star then become a brigade commander?

What if there are several of the same rank in a group? How is it decided who leads?

Also see below: I have put Lee in charge but on the map the unit says Beauregard is in charge? Any idea why? How can I fix this?

The manual says a corps can hold no more than 8 units but as you can see my II corps has many more than that! Has this changed?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 5/5/2009 9:46:46 AM >

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 6
RE: Question on over qualified Commanders - 5/5/2009 9:15:48 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Yes to all three.

So a 4 star can lead a corp or a division if put in those containers? Or is it only a brigade in lower groups? Im confused

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 5/5/2009 9:17:19 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 7
RE: Question on over qualified Commanders - 5/5/2009 5:20:31 PM   
Gil R.

Man, this is a really old thread you dug up...

To clarify: the highest-ranking general in a corps or division container will command it, so if you put a four-star in a division container he will be in overall command, though in detailed combat he'll be assigned to a particular brigade as well.

As for seeing the wrong name on the strategic map (Beauregard, not Lee), that's a small glitch that occurs when you swap army commanders: the buffer sometimes keeps the original name showing, but the code is otherwise aware that the change has been made. (This might be fixed when one exits out of the game and starts up again, but I can't remember.)

As for corps, I assume that a change was made, but don't know for certain. Is there a chance that you modded the file to give corps a greater capacity, or are using a mod? That's the other possibility.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 8
RE: Question on over qualified Commanders - 5/5/2009 6:45:59 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Man, this is a really old thread you dug up...

To clarify: the highest-ranking general in a corps or division container will command it, so if you put a four-star in a division container he will be in overall command, though in detailed combat he'll be assigned to a particular brigade as well.

As for seeing the wrong name on the strategic map (Beauregard, not Lee), that's a small glitch that occurs when you swap army commanders: the buffer sometimes keeps the original name showing, but the code is otherwise aware that the change has been made. (This might be fixed when one exits out of the game and starts up again, but I can't remember.)

As for corps, I assume that a change was made, but don't know for certain. Is there a chance that you modded the file to give corps a greater capacity, or are using a mod? That's the other possibility.

Thanks for the answers! Yep I dug this one up when I remembered I had asked about this before. I think I finally understand now.

I am using the flag mod with the no bull run scenerio so that may be what is going on with the corps but Shep said the only thing he changed were the flags and the location of groups so I dont know...

Also do you know how its decided who leads when there are several generals of the same rank in a group?

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 5/5/2009 6:53:56 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 9
RE: Question on over qualified Commanders - 5/6/2009 2:44:22 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

Also do you know how its decided who leads when there are several generals of the same rank in a group?

I believe it's alphabetical. Which, when you think of it, is no more arbitrary than any other system, and much simpler than adding to the data file the relative seniority of 1000 generals.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 10
RE: Question on over qualified Commanders - 5/7/2009 10:20:28 AM   
Mutation2241

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

The manual says a corps can hold no more than 8 units but as you can see my II corps has many more than that! Has this changed?

I'm sure that means a Corps can hold no more than 8 Divisions not 8 Brigades

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 11
RE: Question on over qualified Commanders - 5/7/2009 4:03:55 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mutation2241

quote:

Union Army - 35 brigades/8 units directly under its command
CSA Army - 42 brigades/8 units directly under its command
Union Corps - 15 brigades
CSA Corps - 18 brigades
Union Div - 5 brigades
CSA Div - 6 brigades

In you screenshot your Corps holds 18 brigades, and since it is a CSA Corps that is correct according to the manual.

(in reply to Mutation2241)
Post #: 12
RE: Question on over qualified Commanders - 5/7/2009 9:23:27 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mutation2241

quote:

Union Army - 35 brigades/8 units directly under its command
CSA Army - 42 brigades/8 units directly under its command
Union Corps - 15 brigades
CSA Corps - 18 brigades
Union Div - 5 brigades
CSA Div - 6 brigades

In you screenshot your Corps holds 18 brigades, and since it is a CSA Corps that is correct according to the manual.

Thanks for the info!

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Question on over qualified Commanders Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI