Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First Impressions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> First Impressions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First Impressions - 12/13/2006 3:17:15 AM   
dryline_tx

I just bought MF today and after playing a bit I am feeling quite disappointed with my purchase...

The "big" problem I first ran into was interceptions. I was Dallas, playing Cleveland (American rules) and each team's QB had 2 INTs in the first 8 minutes of the games - roughly 40% of the passes were intercepted. And it wasn't like I was passing on every down, or just in 3rd and long situations.

There were also 2 penalties on the defense, first was an inexplicable "illegal contact" during a running play and the 2nd was a "rough play" penalty. I assumed it meant "unnecessary roughness" and it's not a big deal - just a detail that honestly, I expect to be in the game.

I then bailed out of that game and started a new one - and then canned it after my 3rd pass was intercepted.

I also fiddled around a bit with creating a league and I have to say that interface seemed very clunky and user unfriendly to me. For example, when creating a team - I couldn't cancel without first entering all the required information. Building conferences and divisions and assigning teams to them seemed much harder than necessary to me.

Anyway, these are just first impressions and I don't mean to be negative but unfortunately, my overall feeling so far is that "game experience" isn't up to par with the last football game I played - fbpro 98 or 99 (can't remember which it was). Not feeling to good right now about spending the money on this game.
Post #: 1
RE: First Impressions - 12/13/2006 3:39:38 AM   
David Winter

Sorry you feel that way.

Out of curiosity, what build were you using?

David

(in reply to dryline_tx)
Post #: 2
RE: First Impressions - 12/13/2006 3:58:53 AM   
garysorrell

mconder
I would like to know if you applied the latest update. The gameplay you describe is nothing like I have experienced. I coach, arcade play, and sometimes just watch a CPU v CPU game, and aside from the arcade play, the other two seem to result in very realistic play. I rarely have INTs or fumbles. Usually they are fairly realistic in number. I use drafted, random generated and user made leagues. They generally seem to give similar gameplay.

Arcade play is what it is, and that goes for all the football video games I have ever played, you wont get very realistic anything when you have gamepad in hand.

As for the in-game interface, I am happy with it, although I agree that if I hit cancel, it should just cancel.

Make sure you are updated, it is definately a far different and better game now than in the beginning.

By the way, I dont work for David or Matrix, im just a satisfied customer that wants all new purchasers to give the game a fair shake.

(in reply to David Winter)
Post #: 3
RE: First Impressions - 12/13/2006 6:53:06 AM   
dryline_tx

Thanks for the comments. I did grab the latest update after I downloaded the game - it sez core version 1.0.139 and DBengine version 1.0.232 when i start the game.

I've played another game and it still seems to have too many INTS (my QB was picked on his 2nd pass - there were 6 overall) but I did enjoy it when my WR caught a tipped pass for a TD (at least it seemed that way to me).

Maybe some of my frustration is that I hoped I could duplicate the NFL look and feel fairly easily.

Oh, one other (minor) annoyance, but in 2 of my 4 games the cpu chose to kickoff the opening kick. I just started a few more games to see what the cpu would do and it looks like about half the time they win the flip, they chose to kick. Not sure about other leagues, but shouldn't this be rare in NFL-style games.

thanks,
Mark

(in reply to garysorrell)
Post #: 4
RE: First Impressions - 12/13/2006 7:14:53 AM   
David Winter

Hi.

The latest version is 1.3.120. It is a very different game than what you currently have. It corrects a fair number of issues, and improves overall game play. This version is available in the members area.

There are known bugs with 1.3.120 that I'm working on correcting. The biggest known issue is that the ability to automatically fill depth charts for human controlled teams is disabled (it should only be disabled for computer controlled teams). This is preventing users from properly filling out their depth charts, and that intern is causing some problems for the quick sim game. There are work around though, and I've already presented my fixes to Matrix so they can update the installer package and make it available to end users.

Even though R3 is still in BETA, I think most people that have downloaded 1.3.120 (or even 1.3.84) would agree, it's already a far cry from what you currently have (which is R2). With R3 a lot of effort was put into making customized game play even easier. Some users you'll find on the board have already created 'custom data files' that very much change the way the game plays (lowering the passing accuracy, making the linebackers react differently, etc...)

As R3 is in BETA, downloading and installing it is up to you, but based on others perceptions, I think you may find it more enjoyable. If you do decide to download 1.3.120 and find bugs or other issues, please post them in the public beta forum (in the section above). It's the best way for me to improve the game and take corrective actions are required.

BTW, yes, receivers can catch a tipped pass (as can other DB's). 

Thanks
David

< Message edited by David Winter -- 12/13/2006 7:46:28 AM >

(in reply to dryline_tx)
Post #: 5
RE: First Impressions - 12/13/2006 2:16:52 PM   
garysorrell

go to the members section, log in, then click on 'Registered Downloads'

the newest update is available there

Post #: 6
RE: First Impressions - 12/13/2006 2:45:04 PM   
mark1726

As David said, R3 is a much better release. I put the game down for awhile while he worked on the current version out of some fustration with the PDS (play design system). R3 has a much better and different PDS which makes the game more fun to work with.

"Those who do not read and understand history are doomed to repeat it." - Harry Truman

Post #: 7
RE: First Impressions - 12/16/2006 4:20:02 AM   
IandMe

This isn't a first impression.

There are no playing cards,cribs,or what not in the game.

What a strange concept..A football game that is just about football.

It is not perfect but gives me what i want,and hopefully keeps on improving.

(in reply to mark1726)
Post #: 8
RE: First Impressions - 1/3/2007 8:32:39 PM   
mudrick

quote:

ORIGINAL: garysorrell

go to the members section, log in, then click on 'Registered Downloads'

the newest update is available there

I bought the game and tried to do as you said. But my login doesn't work and the login I used to buy the game doesn't work. I then clicked on "forgot password" and entered my email. Of course I have not recieved an email in hours. Does it usually take this long?

Post #: 9
RE: First Impressions - 1/3/2007 10:09:40 PM   
Marauders

The members section requires you to register your game and select a password for that area.  I am unsure if this is the same as the password used to download the program from the site or not.

I know it is strange to have more than one password, but one is for the forum and one is for the game registered at the mebers area.

(in reply to mudrick)
Post #: 10
RE: First Impressions - 1/4/2007 1:17:49 AM   
garysorrell

There is a password for the forums, and another for getting into the Members area.

Its easy to register the game and sign up. You need the Serial# they sent in the email after purchase, if I remember correctly.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 11
RE: First Impressions - 1/4/2007 2:26:32 AM   
RVD

Here are some of my impressions and Bug reports of the game after a few days of playing. This is for the newest Beta 1.3.120 Patch Now Available:

The depth charts don't seem to work right. I have 4 QB's on my roster and I want to select my starter but the player I want to use isn't listed for some reason. Also I really want the auto fill back.

When your playing a game, If you go offsides it locks up. I was playing a very one-sided game against the Giants and with 34 seconds to go I mistakenly went offsides and it locked up. Causing me to lose all the quality stats I had accumulated while routing said Giants to the tune of 48 to 0. That ticked me off!

Also, I don't know how many times while playing a game that I would get a sack and cause a fumble and recover it only to get the variable something or other error hit F9 to continue. When I hit it the other team would end up getting the ball back plus gaining 40 plus yards in the process! Arrrrgh!!

Stats: They are totally out of whack. I know this has been an ongoing problem from the beginning. It doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Example WR: 29 catches, 1,120 yds and 29 TD's.
Example QB: 8 for 29, 489 yds and 14 TD's.

There are plenty more that I can't think of right now, but this seems like a good start.

Overall, I have to say it's disappointing that the game has even been released with this many bugs. With that being said I'd also like to say that I think the game has great potential to become the #1 Football game on the market. Just the fact that you can make so many changes to it yourself is the whole reason that I wanted the game in the first place. I also know the developer (David Winter) is working his a** off to get these bugs fixed for us. This is the first game I've played where the developer is so active on the forums looking for ways to improve his game. Thanks David!

RVD

Post #: 12
RE: First Impressions - 1/4/2007 3:42:09 AM   
Marauders

RVD,

Note that the game was released 2.0, but the beta patch is release 3.0, and many featured have been redone.  That has created some new bugs and messed up some of the stats again.

The depth chart bug was just introduced in the last couple patches, and David is working on it.

David has cleaned up many stats, and the results of those efforts should seen in the next public beta patch.

Your input is appreciated, and feedback is important.  Please look at the areas of concern upon the release of the next public beta build to see if they have been cleared up.

- Marauders

(in reply to RVD)
Post #: 13
RE: First Impressions - 1/4/2007 4:48:43 AM   
mudrick

I have recently become quite sick of Fbpro so I got this game with the hopes it would be a good future replacement.  So I played a quick game and rather liked it.  I found the play navigation to be simple and easy.  But flipping plays.....i see a #1 , 2, and 3 but if im using the mouse they do not work, correct?  Anyway.....i'm gonna keep playing.  This has me very interested. 

Has anyone made NFL league's yet?  I was creeping around the forums looking but could not find it.  I just want to know before I start a league.  Or i'll just use default.  Thanks in advance for any help.  I already see the other link in this thread but i'm not too sure of what all of those files do.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 14
RE: First Impressions - 1/4/2007 4:54:46 AM   
David Winter

quote:

I found the play navigation to be simple and easy.  But flipping plays.....i see a #1 , 2, and 3 but if im using the mouse they do not work, correct?

Button 3 on a mouse is the button under the scroll wheel. If you click down on the scroll wheel, you'll be pressing button 3, and you should see the play flip.

David

(in reply to mudrick)
Post #: 15
RE: First Impressions - 1/4/2007 5:46:05 AM   
jrodsly

wow. David, your game got burned. badly. did you like the scooter i gave you?

Back from the dead, I'm here to make ammends with the people I've ticked off and the people that were nice enough to make stuff I requested.

Post #: 16
RE: First Impressions - 1/4/2007 7:30:03 PM   
RVD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marauders

RVD,

Note that the game was released 2.0, but the beta patch is release 3.0, and many featured have been redone.  That has created some new bugs and messed up some of the stats again.

The depth chart bug was just introduced in the last couple patches, and David is working on it.

David has cleaned up many stats, and the results of those efforts should seen in the next public beta patch.

Your input is appreciated, and feedback is important.  Please look at the areas of concern upon the release of the next public beta build to see if they have been cleared up.

- Marauders

Thanks for thr reply Marauders. Hopefully all will be well with the next patch. I've got one other comment though. When simulating a weeks games it seems to take way too long. On my year old computer it takes about an hour and a half. Is that normal?? Is there a way to do it faster?

Thanks,
RVD

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 17
RE: First Impressions - 1/5/2007 8:13:28 AM   
Tbird

1 1/2 is not normal my computer is over 3 years old and it takes less than 5 minutes to sim a game

(in reply to RVD)
Post #: 18
RE: First Impressions - 1/5/2007 12:40:25 PM   
RVD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tbird

1 1/2 is not normal my computer is over 3 years old and it takes less than 5 minutes to sim a game

Hey Tbird,

Yeah mine will sim one game in about 2 minutes, but then when it finishes each game it takes another 2 minutes to save the stats from it. With 16 games per week on my schedule that's an hour and 4 minutes to sim one week. So I guess I exaggerated a little bit.

I still think that's too slow. Hopefully David can find a way to speed it up somehow??

RVD

(in reply to Tbird)
Post #: 19
RE: First Impressions - 1/5/2007 4:28:15 PM   
nmleague

RVD

Some background, when the game first came out there was alot of disscussion/disappointment with the fast sim option.  To get a very fast sim David had to use a different engine for the fast sim games vs what is used for the played games.  The result were stats that varied greatly between the two games.  Becuase of this David has done alot of work to imporve the stats of the fast sim games, Im not sure if that has slowed things down some.  But I think most people were of the opinion that it would be better to have a slow fast sim that gave stats comparable with the played games, than have a very fast sim with crazy stats.  This is one area of the game that will continue to evolve as David tries to get both the sim and the played games on based on the same engine.

(in reply to RVD)
Post #: 20
RE: First Impressions - 1/5/2007 5:59:06 PM   
Tbird

On an 18 team league it took an hour more or less.  But even the quick sim option on fbpro wasn't very accurate.  The way Madden sims games did a good job based on player ratings but it simmed them as 15 minute quarters even tho your league was set to 10 minute quarters and made it harder to keep up with other teams stats.

(in reply to nmleague)
Post #: 21
RE: First Impressions - 1/5/2007 9:05:02 PM   
JasonninTN

I don't have MFB yet. (But probably will if the reviews on the new patch are positive) But I was an FBPro commish and it was always worth the wait to sim the games with the actual game engine. It took a while, but the stats as well as the use of the teams' actual playbooks made it well worth the wait. If memory serves FBPro had a fast sim option, but it wasn't something our league ever even considered using.

(in reply to Tbird)
Post #: 22
RE: First Impressions - 1/5/2007 9:16:39 PM   
nmleague

I agree, the quick sim stats though now pretty realistic, do not match the 3d game stats, which are more realistic.  Im limiting my leagues to 12 teams so only have 6 games for each week and I will propably use the 3d game CPU vs CPU for the games, even though that means between 6-7 hours per week of the schedule.

(in reply to JasonninTN)
Post #: 23
RE: First Impressions - 1/5/2007 9:20:54 PM   
mudrick

Right now with a 16 team league it takes me 8 minutes to sim a week.  I don't think that's too bad.

< Message edited by mudrick -- 1/5/2007 9:31:51 PM >

(in reply to JasonninTN)
Post #: 24
RE: First Impressions - 1/6/2007 3:52:05 PM   
RVD

Thanks for the info nmleague. I hadn't heard that.

RVD

(in reply to nmleague)
Post #: 25
RE: First Impressions - 1/10/2007 3:55:26 AM   
mudrick

Ok i've been getting into playing this a lot and i'm starting to notice something.  It seems to me that it is too easy to run the ball against the AI.  Now this is not a knock on the developer, I realize the game is primarily profile driven, so against another human opponent this may not be a problem.  But i've used the fun and gun and the other plans from that max site....1, 2, 3, and 4, and running is too easy.  My question is......does anyone know of any plans where the AI can stop the run? 

BTW, i am really hoping this goes head to head in the near future. 

(in reply to RVD)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> First Impressions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI