Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Command/Control madness!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Command/Control madness! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Command/Control madness! - 12/13/2006 4:28:18 PM   
steveuk

The command/control feature is great but certainly needs some parameters laid out for certain unit types.
In the attached picture, my artillery unit which was in hex 'A' decided to move and attack the Union unit circled which cost it nearly 500 casualties and has left it open for assault.
This is beyond belief and not realistic at all.
Can you please change the assault procedure for artillery as this is totally unacceptable from a military point of view.
Yesterday I persuaded my HPS panzer campaigns PBEM partner to purchase this game. If this happens to him I will be so embarressed as I recommended it to him in the first place.
[image][/image]

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by steveuk -- 12/13/2006 4:52:23 PM >

It is well that war is so terrible; else we would grow too fond of it.
Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)
Post #: 1
RE: Command/Control madness! - 12/13/2006 8:10:48 PM   
ericbabe

Thanks for the post.  I'm a little hesistant to make hardcoded AI behavioral changes since -- in my experience -- when these are made to solve particular problems they just as often cause more problems than they solve.  For what it's worth, the AI likes to flank, ceteribus paris, and so the motion your arrow describes is just the AI attempting to engage in flanking.

Maybe some adjustment to the movement rules for artillery might be in order, but I'm a little concerned that such rules might improve artillery behavior in some circumstances and depreciate it in others.  In short, I'll have to think about this some more while browsing over the AI routines.

(in reply to steveuk)
Post #: 2
RE: Command/Control madness! - 12/13/2006 10:19:06 PM   
Hard Sarge

I do not understand this one

the Arty was in line and marched 6 hexes and then fired on a unit while first passing though a Enemy ZOC, how many movement points do your Arty Bdes have ?

also, since it was out of control, the AI take it over

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 3
RE: Command/Control madness! - 12/13/2006 11:56:27 PM   
spruce

well it was not that uncommon to use artillery in an offensive way - but not as the spearhead off course and not from such close proximity ... is that canister range ? seems to be even double canister range ... and I think a unit should be able to move there - but supporting infantry brigade should be "adjoining" to the place the artillery is moving to.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 4
RE: Command/Control madness! - 12/14/2006 12:01:57 AM   
steveuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

Thanks for the post.  I'm a little hesistant to make hardcoded AI behavioral changes since -- in my experience -- when these are made to solve particular problems they just as often cause more problems than they solve.  For what it's worth, the AI likes to flank, ceteribus paris, and so the motion your arrow describes is just the AI attempting to engage in flanking.

Maybe some adjustment to the movement rules for artillery might be in order, but I'm a little concerned that such rules might improve artillery behavior in some circumstances and depreciate it in others.  In short, I'll have to think about this some more while browsing over the AI routines.

Thanks Eric. As you will probably agree the idea of artillery actually doing that sort of manoeuvre ruins any credibility the game may have of trying to simulate combat.
I take your point on the A.I. routines but maybe you could;

1) Make artillery immune to CC....they were usually quite orderly anyway until taking fire or closed down.
2) Return a null value for movement if under CC apart from retreating?

Many thanks.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 5
RE: Command/Control madness! - 12/14/2006 12:03:14 AM   
steveuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

the Arty was in line and marched 6 hexes and then fired on a unit while first passing though a Enemy ZOC, how many movement points do your Arty Bdes have ?

Yes the artillery unit was under CC at the time.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 6
RE: Command/Control madness! - 12/14/2006 12:10:45 AM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: steveuk

quote:

ahh, just to be clear, it was under CC or it was not under CC (IE, the Arty unit was under AI control or under your control ?)

from the snapshot, it looks like the Arty took fire damage (return fire ?) and went out of CC and then it moved and made another attack ?

as you are showing 5 units are out of CC

(in reply to steveuk)
Post #: 7
RE: Command/Control madness! - 12/14/2006 12:12:11 AM   
steveuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: spruce

well it was not that uncommon to use artillery in an offensive way - but not as the spearhead off course and not from such close proximity ... is that canister range ? seems to be even double canister range ... and I think a unit should be able to move there - but supporting infantry brigade should be "adjoining" to the place the artillery is moving to.

Given the hex scale of 100 yards I think it unlikely that artillery would move across a battlefield and engage in close assault. If you can think of this happening in any time period I would be most interested in hearing about it.

Can you imagine an artillery commander saying to his men "Ok chaps...we are being attacked and under fire but we will be leaving our position and assaulting the enemy. I want you to push your guns (12lb howitzers) six hundred yards and attack the advancing infantry....charge!!!! and by the way....ignore that enemy brigade just in front of us".
Sorry but the idea of this ever happening is beyond belief.

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 8
RE: Command/Control madness! - 12/14/2006 12:19:47 AM   
steveuk

quote:

quote:

quote:

ahh, just to be clear, it was under CC or it was not under CC (IE, the Arty unit was under AI control or under your control ?)

from the snapshot, it looks like the Arty took fire damage (return fire ?) and went out of CC and then it moved and made another attack ?

Yes the artillery was out of CC (sorry I misled you) and under A.I. control at the time.
Like I put in my original post this is very unrealistic. I take it that if the Union (who were attacking in this example) had artillery, then they would also be engaging in close assault as they would be using the same A.I. routines.
I think something needs to be changed so artillery is prohibited from moving ajacent to enemy units when under A.I. or even player control.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 9
RE: Command/Control madness! - 12/14/2006 12:22:38 AM   
spruce

quote:

quote:

Given the hex scale of 100 yards I think it unlikely that artillery would move across a battlefield and engage in close assault. If you can think of this happening in any time period I would be most interested in hearing about it.

Can you imagine an artillery commander saying to his men "Ok chaps...we are being attacked and under fire but we will be leaving our position and assaulting the enemy. I want you to push your guns (12lb howitzers) six hundred yards and attack the advancing infantry....charge!!!! and by the way....ignore that enemy brigade just in front of us".

yeah, a bit orthodox approach.

I also played a civil war tactical game - Take Command 2'nd Manassas ... here you can use artillery in an offensive role - by this I mean you can unlumber your guns in well supported positions (supported by your infantry) at a certain range - above 200 yards - and start wheeling towards the enemy until you are in canister range. Regular infantry wepaons only will become leathal from 150 yards on. But beware of sharps ...

I think the last day of Popes charge on Jacksons defensive RRline can be seen as a way to use artillery offensive - Jackson can take a few gun batteries from the general confederate gun batteries (Jacksons corps) and move them along his right flank to support the defenses with canister range ... this is still an "offensive way" to use for your artillery - you'll bring guns forward.

Also the denial of LOS would cause artillery commanders to bring their gun batteries in firing range of the enemy - close to canister range ...

I think some commanders would do that cause canister fire was by far the most effective way of reducing the enemy combat strength. I'm not sure tough - but wheeling the guns towards the enemy wasn't that difficult.

< Message edited by spruce -- 12/14/2006 12:35:49 AM >

(in reply to steveuk)
Post #: 10
RE: Command/Control madness! - 12/14/2006 12:40:52 AM   
steveuk

quote:

quote:

quote:

I also played a civil war tactical game - Take Command 2'nd Manassas ... here you can use artillery in an offensive role - by this I mean you can unlumber your guns in well supported positions (supported by your infantry) at a certain rane - above 200 yards - and start wheeling towards the enemy until you are in canister range.

I think the last day of Popes charge on Jacksons defensive line can be seen as a way to use artillery offensive - you take a few gun batteries from the general confederate gun batteries (Jacksons division) and move them along Jacksons right flank to support the defenses with canister range ... this is still an "offensive way" to use for your artillery - you'll bring guns forward.

I think some commanders would do that cause canister fire was by far the most effective way of reducing the enemy combat strength.

I have both 'Take command' games so know what you are saying....very good games too I might add but the problem here is not quite the same and on a different scale to TC.
Consider this piece of info;

The Rifled Musket

During the mid-19th century, the use of the rifled musket dramatically changed how the war was conducted. Before the rifled musket came into use, Napoleonic tactics of linear frontal assault of massed forces, supported by direct-fire artillery and quick cavalry charges, was the recipe for battlefield success. European and American military leaders replicated Napoleon's tactics because he optimized the weapons he had at that time--smoothbore muskets with a nominal effective range of 100 yards and canister artillery with a maximum range of 400 yards. In contrast, the Civil War rifle had an effective range of over 500 yards when firing the conical Minie ball bullet.

The rifled musket's increased range and lethality had several adverse effects on Napoleonic tactics. For example, an infantryman with a rifled musket was a greater threat to artillerymen and cavalrymen. Napoleon massed his artillery and used canister fire to decimate an advancing infantry line. The Civil War infantryman, using a rifled musket could target artillerymen before they were within range of canister fire, which forced the artillery to operate further from the enemy than was optimal. So basically you would be asking your men to commit suicide unless they could advance under cover and or infantry protection.

I'm sure in real life there may have been occasion for artillery to advance under cover but certainly not under fire and most certainly not when the enemy is right in front of you.

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 11
RE: Command/Control madness! - 12/14/2006 5:25:51 AM   
Feltan

quote:

I can't imagine a Union artillery commander, much less a Confederate one, calling any group of people "chaps."

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to steveuk)
Post #: 12
RE: Command/Control madness! - 12/14/2006 5:47:17 AM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes the artillery was out of CC (sorry I misled you) and under A.I. control at the time.
Like I put in my original post this is very unrealistic. I take it that if the Union (who were attacking in this example) had artillery, then they would also be engaging in close assault as they would be using the same A.I. routines.
I think something needs to be changed so artillery is prohibited from moving ajacent to enemy units when under A.I. or even player control.

no hassle, I did not think you were misleading me, I was just trying to be clear on what is happening

(odd if I understand the snap right, you were next to the Union Bde when you went out of CC ?)

also, the idea of being out of CC is that the AI will take over, and most times is going to do something you really do not want it to do

(which for me and I think I have posted it, my Guns are the most importent unit on the field, if I got Supply, it is based on the Guns, and it supplies the guns first, if I have more then one Supply Wagon, then at least one is based with the Guns, and it is the same with the CC chances, you save those to be sure you Guns are in control)

(in reply to steveuk)
Post #: 13
RE: Command/Control madness! - 12/14/2006 1:49:03 PM   
steveuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feltan

quote:

I can't imagine a Union artillery commander, much less a Confederate one, calling any group of people "chaps."

Regards,
Feltan

Yes, quite right ...please replace 'chaps' with the appropriate phase according to your locality

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 14
RE: Command/Control madness! - 12/14/2006 2:12:55 PM   
steveuk

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

no hassle, I did not think you were misleading me, I was just trying to be clear on what is happening

(odd if I understand the snap right, you were next to the Union Bde when you went out of CC ?)

also, the idea of being out of CC is that the AI will take over, and most times is going to do something you really do not want it to do

(which for me and I think I have posted it, my Guns are the most importent unit on the field, if I got Supply, it is based on the Guns, and it supplies the guns first, if I have more then one Supply Wagon, then at least one is based with the Guns, and it is the same with the CC chances, you save those to be sure you Guns are in control)

Hi HS,

Yes I think I got my in/out of CC mixed up

Re: picture....I always start NEAR START so as soon as the turn begins I put what units I have control of into line and entrench if possible. After doing this the Union led A.I. launches charge after charge. By the time I get to move more units, many are out of CC. Like you, I try to keep my artillery in control but unfortunately I do not always get a chance to restore it as in this case it decided to charge the Inf brigade as shown and as you rightly observed...totally ignored the Union brigade in front of it (Does being out of CC affect ZOC)?

The problem for me is that I like the game a lot but find that sort of manouevre ridiculous and beyond the realms of probability given the game scale of 100yds per hex.

Do you also notice the 6 pounder guns unit just SW of the attacking artillery....They have no flag on them?

< Message edited by steveuk -- 12/14/2006 2:22:11 PM >

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 15
RE: Command/Control madness! - 12/14/2006 4:13:17 PM   
ericbabe

The AI is never going to be able perfectly to simulate the minds of commanders on the field of a Civil War battlefield -- there will always be little things wrong with the AI.  I'm happy to work at identifying and correcting some instances of poor behavior, however, as I've mentioned, I have found in the past that often in doing this, the "fixes" that rule-out poor behavior end up crippling the AI in other ways and frequently create just as many problems as they solve... though not always! sometimes fixes do work, but it's a lot of effort to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

Every six months or so I write a little post on the theoretical limitations of AI; I won't go through the whole thing now, but will summarize.  The way that AI works is by searching through something called a "state space" for the game, to look for optimal changes to the game's current state.  The larger the size of the game's state space, the longer it takes the AI to find maxima within it.  For most games that people enjoy playing, the state spaces are so enormous that AI's never actually search the entire state space, even for a single turn.  A game like tic-tac-toe (or, uhm, noughts-and-crosses) does have a solubly small state space; a game such as Chess does not.  I've calculated the rough size of FOF's state space, and to search through all the permutations of the state space for a single turn at PC processor speeds would take longer than trillions of times the age of the Universe.  So most games using AI have to use approximation techniques to search subsets of the state space -- they have to identify vast parts of the state space to exclude from their search in order to whittle down the size of the space to something that is a searchable size.  For a game like FOF, this means excluding more than 99.99999999999999% of the possible moves from the AI's consideration.

Programmers working with AI spend a lot of time refining the approximation to the search of the game's state space, and there are many documented techniques for doing this.  Even for relatively simple games, however, these techniques have not been very successful.  I've studied the AI for the game Go quite a bit in the course of trying to teach myself how to program AI.  Go has a state space that is considerably larger than Chess, but much, much smaller than a game like FOF's.  There have been PhD computer scientists who have dedicated their careers -- one guy I read has been working on this for 30 years -- to developing good Go AI algorithms, and there's a whole community of computer scientists who are working on solving the problem of Go's AI.  Given all the enormous human effort poured into writing a good Go algorithm, it's disappointing to learn that the best Go algorithm that's been developed to date only has the Go ranking of "weak amateur" when playing against human opponents, and even that algorithm requires more computing power than a standard PC has and takes a long time between turns to make its moves.  Given that FOF's state space is exponentially larger than Go's, and also considering that I'm not about to devote my entire career to developing a FOF AI algorithm, and also considering that there is not a community of PhD computer scientists working on this problem, to expect the AI to play above amateur level or (much harder) to simulate what historical generals might do is, I humbly submit, an unreasonably high expectation.

(in reply to steveuk)
Post #: 16
RE: Command/Control madness! - 12/14/2006 7:36:12 PM   
steveuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

The AI is never going to be able perfectly to simulate the minds of commanders on the field of a Civil War battlefield -- there will always be little things wrong with the AI.  I'm happy to work at identifying and correcting some instances of poor behavior, however, as I've mentioned, I have found in the past that often in doing this, the "fixes" that rule-out poor behavior end up crippling the AI in other ways and frequently create just as many problems as they solve... though not always! sometimes fixes do work, but it's a lot of effort to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

Every six months or so I write a little post on the theoretical limitations of AI; I won't go through the whole thing now, but will summarize.  The way that AI works is by searching through something called a "state space" for the game, to look for optimal changes to the game's current state.  The larger the size of the game's state space, the longer it takes the AI to find maxima within it.  For most games that people enjoy playing, the state spaces are so enormous that AI's never actually search the entire state space, even for a single turn.  A game like tic-tac-toe (or, uhm, noughts-and-crosses) does have a solubly small state space; a game such as Chess does not.  I've calculated the rough size of FOF's state space, and to search through all the permutations of the state space for a single turn at PC processor speeds would take longer than trillions of times the age of the Universe.  So most games using AI have to use approximation techniques to search subsets of the state space -- they have to identify vast parts of the state space to exclude from their search in order to whittle down the size of the space to something that is a searchable size.  For a game like FOF, this means excluding more than 99.99999999999999% of the possible moves from the AI's consideration.

Programmers working with AI spend a lot of time refining the approximation to the search of the game's state space, and there are many documented techniques for doing this.  Even for relatively simple games, however, these techniques have not been very successful.  I've studied the AI for the game Go quite a bit in the course of trying to teach myself how to program AI.  Go has a state space that is considerably larger than Chess, but much, much smaller than a game like FOF's.  There have been PhD computer scientists who have dedicated their careers -- one guy I read has been working on this for 30 years -- to developing good Go AI algorithms, and there's a whole community of computer scientists who are working on solving the problem of Go's AI.  Given all the enormous human effort poured into writing a good Go algorithm, it's disappointing to learn that the best Go algorithm that's been developed to date only has the Go ranking of "weak amateur" when playing against human opponents, and even that algorithm requires more computing power than a standard PC has and takes a long time between turns to make its moves.  Given that FOF's state space is exponentially larger than Go's, and also considering that I'm not about to devote my entire career to developing a FOF AI algorithm, and also considering that there is not a community of PhD computer scientists working on this problem, to expect the AI to play above amateur level or (much harder) to simulate what historical generals might do is, I humbly submit, an unreasonably high expectation.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the explanation outlaying the mechanics involved in trying to get an A.I. to be able to act reasonably well in this sort of simulation. I programmed a strategy game back in the early 80's called 'Red War' so believe me I am familiar with the techniques you describe which seems akin to a basic Array which is what I used way back then.
I know most modern A.I.'s in these sort of games is never going to be able to act or react in a correct manner as the computation power plus time involved is just not available and from a commercial aspect...not viable.
Only within the last few years have we been able to programme a chess game to compete on a comparable level with a grand master and that is on an 8X8 matrix! The permutations involed with FOF and any other Tactical/Strategic wargame would be endless in comparison and is the main reason why I like your COMMAND/CONTROL feature as it takes away some of the human players advantage.
However I do know that to stop the artillery unit from doing what it did in my situation is a fairly simple process in comparison.
If artillery was prohibited from entering enemy ZOC (or within a one hex range) whether under A.I. or human control it would stop any repeat of a suicidal attack being carried out. Of course your own or A.I. non-artillery units could still enter the ZOC of an artillery unit although just to be a right pain in the arse....Could units attempting to enter the ZOC of an artillery unit have to pass a morale check or have the right attribute (like hero/wild) before doing so?

I appreciate the time you and the others are giving in responding to my issues

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Command/Control madness! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI