Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Govenor requests, some ideas.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Govenor requests, some ideas. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/11/2006 10:20:49 PM   
Artmiser

First I have no problem with govenors and there requests, but...

A few things could be improved.

1. Govenors requests need to have a grace period before negative impacts. I had to build a mantion to build his building and was taking negative hits while doing it.

2. Govenors can only request buildings every so many turns, I have one Govenor who asked for a barracks, so im building it. And before its finished hes asking for another building, and he only has one town I can build in.

3. Assign "ranks" to buildings like generals, so higher rank items give bigger bonuses. After two banks the Govenor of DE only improved I think about 10. I notice that if you promote a general to 4 stars you get a bigger shift then if you had promoted one to 2 stars. Be nice if it was the same with buildings, if its that way now im just missing it.

Feel free to correct me if any of my assumptions are incorrect.

Former Marine
Retired Deputy Sheriff
Wargamer untill I die
Post #: 1
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/11/2006 10:44:21 PM   
Gil R.

I like all of these ideas, but please add them to the "Wish List" thread, where there's no danger of them being overlooked.

(in reply to Artmiser)
Post #: 2
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/12/2006 1:34:23 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artmiser

First I have no problem with govenors and there requests, but...

A few things could be improved.

1. Govenors requests need to have a grace period before negative impacts. I had to build a mantion to build his building and was taking negative hits while doing it.

2. Govenors can only request buildings every so many turns, I have one Govenor who asked for a barracks, so im building it. And before its finished hes asking for another building, and he only has one town I can build in. If you have space in that town, you can build more than one building at the same time.

3. Assign "ranks" to buildings like generals, so higher rank items give bigger bonuses. After two banks the Govenor of DE only improved I think about 10. I notice that if you promote a general to 4 stars you get a bigger shift then if you had promoted one to 2 stars. Be nice if it was the same with buildings, if its that way now im just missing it.

Feel free to correct me if any of my assumptions are incorrect.

(in reply to Artmiser)
Post #: 3
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/12/2006 2:35:43 AM   
scott64

Not having the Gov of Iowa requesting a shipyard.  

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 4
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/12/2006 3:14:51 AM   
Gil R.

We'd definitely be willing to add certain limitations on what certain governors can ask for, such as shipyards for Iowa. Why don't we use this thread to start a list? It's not something that could be added to a patch for several weeks (since the top priority is bugs), but down the road we could do this.

Note that this is not a promise to get rid of all requests that some players view as unreasonable, but a promise to target the MOST unreasonable.

So, list here buildings that you think should not be built in particular states.

(in reply to scott64)
Post #: 5
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/12/2006 4:57:22 AM   
Artmiser

oh I dunno, after thinking about all the barracks requests I just think of all the bases we have, well had, all over the US.

May want to do is have a preset request, when a govenor asks for a new building, and he has no room in any of his cities for it, have it default to mansion.

ill have to think about it, beyond the no shipyards for land locked cities.

< Message edited by Artmiser -- 12/12/2006 5:08:01 AM >

Former Marine
Retired Deputy Sheriff
Wargamer untill I die

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/12/2006 10:54:19 PM   
ericbabe

No shipyards for landlocked provinces seems like a good change.  I've asked Gil to put together a list of recommended changes based on feedback from this thread and the wishlist.  I don't want to spend too much effort on this, but a few more pages of code to make governors avoid requesting things like inland shipyards seems reasonable.

(in reply to Artmiser)
Post #: 7
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/13/2006 2:08:34 AM   
Gil R.

While I'm thinking of it, inland Naval Colleges might also be worth banning. Others?

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 8
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/13/2006 2:25:59 AM   
Artmiser

Not sure how complicated this is but lets say each state has a, I guess specialty for lack of a better word, and break the percentage chance for asking for those things highest.

Example PA had 300,000 "keystoners" answer the call for duty.

So PA is going to want manufactering centers, training facilities, barracks ect.

Tell you what give me a few days ill put a list togeather for all the states, with priorities, and you can shoot holes in it.

Former Marine
Retired Deputy Sheriff
Wargamer untill I die

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 9
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/14/2006 10:26:12 AM   
quikstrike

How about states with "frontier" regions (i.e. bordering on enemy states or regions) have a higher chance of requesting "defense-related" improvements--i.e., telegraph, scouting towers, etc. Let's face it, once Kentucky declares for the Confederacy and South-Eastern Missouri is taken, the state of Tennessee doesn't need to worry terribly much about invasion, at least in the immediate future.

I suppose that unreasonable requests by governors for troops really shouldn't be ameliorated, for historical accuracy. Regardless of their location and the strategic situation, governors could and did request troops for various reasons--the Governor of Georgia was always trying to prevent Georgia troops from being used out of state (dolt!), and other governors might fear insurrection, insurgents, who knows what. Their fears may or may not be justified...unreasonable politicians?! Say it ain't so! ;)

I haven't seen a governor request it yet, but mightn't a governor demand upgrades to forts in his state? I haven't done it yet, but I'd gladly expend resources to upgrade the weapons on the forts in Louisiana or at Vicksburg! Making the governor happy would be a bonus. ;)

(in reply to Artmiser)
Post #: 10
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/14/2006 10:30:28 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: quikstrike

I haven't seen a governor request it yet, but mightn't a governor demand upgrades to forts in his state? I haven't done it yet, but I'd gladly expend resources to upgrade the weapons on the forts in Louisiana or at Vicksburg! Making the governor happy would be a bonus. ;)

That's not in the game, but I do like the idea.

(in reply to quikstrike)
Post #: 11
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/14/2006 11:04:57 AM   
von Beanie

There has to be a reasonable limit to the number of governor requests occurring at one time. In my last game as the Union (basic level and standard scenario), I had SIX requests open at one time. I was doing my best to fulfill them, but sometimes the war must take priority.

Given that Lincoln suspended habeas corpus, perhaps the Union commander should have the option of disposing of an a**hole governor. The MD governor comes to mind. He starts out with a major negative chip on his shoulder, and then tends to insist and/or demand improvements continuously. He's not a Republican and likes to disrupt the war effort. Why can't I just choose to let Pinkerton dispose of him...after charging him as a rebel traitor? I'm already imposing martial law in the state with most of the Army of the Potomac, and no MD voters would likely object to the action in public

The bottom line here is that I'd like to recommend that each governor can only make one or two requests per year, and that no more than three requests can be operational at any given time.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 12
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/14/2006 11:16:58 AM   
quikstrike

Unfortunately, as has been noted, reasonableness was a noticeably lacking trait in many governors. So long as they weren't openly involved in sedition, there wasn't much that either Lincoln or Davis could do against them, lest the entire state go into revolt.

Have you played the CSA yet? The governors of Arkansas and Georgia both needed hanging...the Union isn't the only state with Governor problems. :(

(in reply to von Beanie)
Post #: 13
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/14/2006 11:22:58 AM   
Gil R.

It wouldn't be as challenging if governors weren't as difficult to deal with. And those Maryland, Arkansas and Georgia governors really were a pain for Lincoln and Davis, as I hope their bios show.

(in reply to quikstrike)
Post #: 14
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/17/2006 12:21:01 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artmiser

Not sure how complicated this is but lets say each state has a, I guess specialty for lack of a better word, and break the percentage chance for asking for those things highest.

Example PA had 300,000 "keystoners" answer the call for duty.

So PA is going to want manufactering centers, training facilities, barracks ect.

Tell you what give me a few days ill put a list togeather for all the states, with priorities, and you can shoot holes in it.

I checked with Eric, and here is the actual private corporate correspondence I received from him:

"If he wants to come up with a list of a few prefered things for each
state, I'll program it. It'll probably be 50% random thing, 50% one of
the prefered things though."

So, if your list suggests that Pennsylvania needs manufacturing centers, training grounds and barracks there'd be a good chance of one of those being requested, but an equally good chance of something else (a mint, university, etc.). This seems like the ideal solution.

If you're still game, then, please do cobble together a list and post it here. We might not get this into the next patch, but could get it into the one after that.

(in reply to Artmiser)
Post #: 15
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/17/2006 10:16:00 PM   
Artmiser

Yes im still game sry got side tracked ill get started on it today.

Former Marine
Retired Deputy Sheriff
Wargamer untill I die

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 16
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/18/2006 2:49:20 AM   
freeboy

Iowa borders Miss river , and Davenport can make river gun boats..

(in reply to Artmiser)
Post #: 17
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/18/2006 4:03:18 PM   
Paper Tiger

Having captured a few cities in Virginia as the Union I am getting requests for Signal towers every turn from the governor, I built the first 6 (six) including a mansion to support the last few before I decided to ignore the requests and then got -15 on my French diplomacy. Now it is obvious that the governor of the conquered territory is not going to be happy, but this is a joke.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 18
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/18/2006 10:41:02 PM   
Artmiser

This is where im at so far, just making sure this is what you were looking for before I go any farther

Union by State

State CT

Conneticut 31 infantry regiments, the last 3 of them were colored.  Interesting to note the first 28 regiemnts were
formed by 1862.  1 artillary formed from the men of the 4 infantry and 2 cavalry regiments.

One in game city of Hartford.  Starts out in standard campaign good enough, leave random.

State DE

Deleware provided 10 infantry regiments, 2 artillary and 2 cavalry a total of 12,284 men.
State did have DuPont and produced a large amount of gunpowerd.  Not representative in this game.

For the purposes of this game I would leave it at random.

State IA

Iowa 48 infantry regiments, 1 colored regiment, 10 calvary Regiments, 4 artillary regiments.
Artillary was not made there but gives an idea of states contributions.

Two in game cities Des Moines and Davenport.

Training Grounds, horse farms.

State IL

By late November 1862, after the harvest season, Illinois had 125 Infantry Regiments, 16 Cavalry, and 30 Artillery batteries. The total was 20,000 men in excess of the Union's requested quota for the State of Illinois.  By the end of the war 256,000 had served from this state

Three in game cities, Chicago, Cairo and Springfield.  "may want to increase one of the cities to represent this, it was one of the big three for troop contributions."

Manufacturing centers, training grounds, foundries, shipyards "for Cairo was a major ship builder for riverboats"

State IN

Indiana provided 152 Infantray regiements, 13 cavalry regiments and 22 batteries of artillary. 
The state is represented by the city of indianapolis.

Manufaturing centers, training grounds, foundries.

State KS

Kansas had approx 17 infantry regiemnts, 16 Cavalry Regiments, aprroximately 3 to 4 batteries of artillary.
In game represented by topeka Kansas.  Contributed allot of cavalry.

Horse farms, training grounds.... or leave it random.

Former Marine
Retired Deputy Sheriff
Wargamer untill I die

(in reply to Paper Tiger)
Post #: 19
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/19/2006 12:26:53 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paper Tiger

Having captured a few cities in Virginia as the Union I am getting requests for Signal towers every turn from the governor, I built the first 6 (six) including a mansion to support the last few before I decided to ignore the requests and then got -15 on my French diplomacy. Now it is obvious that the governor of the conquered territory is not going to be happy, but this is a joke.

Which cities? You took Richmond and instally a new governor?

How many different signal towers were requested? The chances of being asked for two in a row are small but not so small as to suggest a bug, but if this has happened three or four times in a row the laws of probability suggest something is up.

Post #: 20
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/19/2006 12:29:49 AM   
Gil R.

Artmiser,
Looking good so far. Don't forget Railroad Stations for provinces with key railroad hubs. (So look at the game map, as well as reference books.)

Also, perhaps look at the ACWStart.txt file and see what is already in a province that could be complemented. For example, if there's a Foundry, it would make sense for the governor to request a Manufacturing Center.

Thanks again for dealing with this.

(in reply to Artmiser)
Post #: 21
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/19/2006 7:40:57 AM   
Artmiser

NP Gil, Docs appointment tommorrow but dont see why I shouldnt have it posted for review by Fridayis.

And I have an excellent map for rail road hubs, ill be sure to add that.

< Message edited by Artmiser -- 12/19/2006 7:51:51 AM >

Former Marine
Retired Deputy Sheriff
Wargamer untill I die

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 22
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/19/2006 3:29:03 PM   
Paper Tiger

Initially just Wheeling and John Letcher immediately started requesting Signal Towers, every time one was complete he requested another one.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 23
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/19/2006 6:26:20 PM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paper Tiger

Initially just Wheeling and John Letcher immediately started requesting Signal Towers, every time one was complete he requested another one.

Since you captured the state I guess he was almost rebellious. I had the governor of New Jersey almost rebellious (playing as the union) and he asked for 3 banks in a row.

Might not mean anything but I thought I'd throw it out as a possibility to be looked at.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

Post #: 24
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/19/2006 6:27:09 PM   
Mike Scholl

I still wish for an option to just quietly poison the greedy, intractable, irritating, political rascals....   :-)

Post #: 25
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/19/2006 7:17:05 PM   
General Quarters

There is one type of governors request that I see often and that makes a lot of sense -- governors in states where enemy troops have invaded or are in adjacent states request x number of brigades. Sometimes I get credit because I already have that many brigades there.

It would also make sense for coastal governors (which is almost all of them) to request various military improvements that could be considered coastal or harbor defense.

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 26
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/19/2006 8:52:20 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Quarters

There is one type of governors request that I see often and that makes a lot of sense -- governors in states where enemy troops have invaded or are in adjacent states request x number of brigades. Sometimes I get credit because I already have that many brigades there.

It would also make sense for coastal governors (which is almost all of them) to request various military improvements that could be considered coastal or harbor defense.

I've asked Eric to program in that governors can request upgrades to forts -- a bomproof or heavy artillery for Fort Pulaski, for example. I hope that can be in the next patch or the one after that.

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 27
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/19/2006 9:02:49 PM   
Berkut

I like to think of governors making whacky requests as an obstraction of the inherent political mess that existed. When some governor asks for something that makes little sense, I chalk it up to some political machination going on behind the scenes that is going to force me to waste some resources, or eat the political hit for refusing to do so.

I think there needs to be some of this, otherwise governor requests just become a way to farm political will by doing things you would ahv done anyway. It's like getting a request for a Camp somewhere. "A camp? Sure, I'll build you a camp!"

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 28
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/19/2006 9:09:25 PM   
Gil R.

I agree. That's why there will still be a 50% chance for something whacky to be requested. And even the sensible requests can't always be afforded, so meeting governors' demands will remain a challenge.

(in reply to Berkut)
Post #: 29
RE: Govenor requests, some ideas. - 12/19/2006 9:57:42 PM   
General Quarters

Thanks, Gil.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Govenor requests, some ideas. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI