Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What is this?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> What is this? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What is this? - 12/4/2006 8:39:52 PM   
histgamer

Is this a new Age of Sail game?

I own Age of Sail II and Age of Sail II Privater Bounty.

Is another game of that type being released? If so a great old forum that was dying may be reborn.
Post #: 1
RE: What is this? - 12/15/2006 4:56:44 AM   
Beetlecat

Hopefully it's a game built on (much of what was) privateer's bounty -- minus the submarines and baloons, of course.

It's a genere of wargame that's never quite made it as a compelling computer game, and I think it's only a matter of time.  A large problem is that it's sort of a niche interest.  If 'Doom' were to be remade, it would probably happen in a week! :)

cheers!

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 2
RE: What is this? - 4/24/2007 2:22:38 AM   
Joe D.

I just bought AoS II; for some reason the game intro plays, but I can't get the scenarios to load.

I have real player, but AoS comes w/media player. Should I have installed media player too?

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 3
RE: What is this? - 4/25/2007 2:46:41 PM   
Joe D.

I found my own answer at the AoS tech site, which posted the solution right in plain sight at the bottom of the page after you access the pull-down menu and select the game's name; if you have XP, you have to right-click on the AoS II exe file and change the compatibility to something before Win 2000, i.e., Win 95. Then the scenarios load and play.

I've just started AoS II and it seems like a clever, interesting little game; if Matrix wants to redo it and update it, I'm all for it.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 4
RE: What is this? - 4/27/2007 1:56:54 AM   
AP514

If they Fix the Multiplayer It will sell...............Mplay had alot of issues....
You could get several players in a game but alot of drops and most of all
If anyone tried to BOARD the WHOLE GAME WOULD CRASH. It kind of took
the wind out of the Mplay sails....
In Single player if you hit the Lead ship hard it would drop out of line but
the ships behind were so (AI)"Dumb" that they would not port around the leader
and pile up wrecking the whole line.
I must add that there was a great community out there for AOS II- Mods for land and
multiplayer Fleet battles.

RDN_AP514

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 5
RE: What is this? - 4/27/2007 5:54:06 PM   
Joe D.

In AoS II in single player mode, I've noticed that after I pick and play one side -- say, Side A -- and sink the other side, after hitting the scales icon, the sunk side (B) has 100 % and I have zip.

After several attempts, I managed to load this game on Medica Center XP, but any suggestions on how to straighten-out sides A and B? Did I somehow toggle the other side? If so, is there an "untoggle"?

(in reply to AP514)
Post #: 6
RE: What is this? - 5/5/2007 6:40:34 AM   
bradfordkay

Guys, I believe that this is a remake of AOS, not AOS II. I'm not positive, but I believe that Akella (sp?) purchased the rights to AOS II from Talonsoft when they had a parting of the ways.

It's too bad, I liked both games, but AOS II was beautiful and had a simple GUI. However, it was so buggy as to drive me away, so I was hoping that Matrix could fix those bugs. Unfortunately, I think that Matrix is looking at the orginal AOS...

Can someone from Matrix confirm or refute this?

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 7
RE: What is this? - 5/5/2007 3:42:27 PM   
Joe D.

Yes, I realize that, but I'm having such a hard time getting AoS II to work right that I'm asking questions here -- as there is no real support at Global Star's so-called forum/registration site -- in the desperate hope that someone has an answer for me.

I have only a passing knowledge of AoS, but if its anything like AoS II, I would be willing to invest in it!

I got AoS II new for $10 and change, but it's a shame it doesn't really work as it has a great interface. Also, jockying for position on the high seas in order to get a broadside in is great fun; it's like an ancient version of ship-to-ship action in UV, only with much more control over your ships.

And yes, you have Akella spelled correct.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 8
RE: What is this? - 5/6/2007 11:47:37 PM   
bradfordkay

Joe, there were so many bugs in AOS2 that I gave it up. I really, really wanted to love that game. The interface was excellent, the graphics very nice, but the bugs drove me to distraction.

The one that got me the most was the inablilty to take possession of a stricken vessel. In the campaign you could add captured vessels to your fleet. The problem was that a stricken vessel would not be added to your fleet, only a vessel that you have physically placed a prize crew aboard. So, what's the catch you might ask. Your smaller ship would have its hull ground to sawdust while grappled to the larger stricken vessel.

I tired everything in my bag as a long time sailor. I tried coming up from downwind at a dead crawl. I tried drifting down from upwind. Nothing I could do would prevent my starting vessel from being lost while trying to take possession of a stricken larger vessel.

I even bought Privateer's Bounty hoping that paying for the add-on might get me an unbuggy version. Another case of hope overcoming experience. You know, if Matrix were to get hold of the rights to AOS2 and promise to fix the bugs, I'd buy that one too. I really do so want to love that game...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 9
RE: What is this? - 5/7/2007 2:44:36 AM   
Joe D.

I know what you mean; oddly enough, I'm patched-up to version 1.04.151 -- see http://www.globalstarsoftware.com/support/index.php?id=81&display=1 -- and AoS II works, except when I play side A, the computer always thinks I'm side B, and vice versa.

I can play all the scenarios, board ships, hear all the bells and whistles of the new patch, etc., but I will never officially win. Needless to say, I can't get anywhere in the campaigns because it always give my winning score to the AI opponent!

Really a shame; it had a simple, intuitive interface with a clever concept that was/would be fun to play.

Maybe the latest patch can help you, if you still have the game; I bought it at v. 1.03 or so. Otherwise, we''ll wait and see if Matrix takes the bait.

< Message edited by Joe D. -- 5/7/2007 2:48:04 AM >

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> What is this? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI