Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

No Carriers at War for Santa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> No Carriers at War for Santa Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
No Carriers at War for Santa - 12/13/2006 7:05:56 AM   
Gregor_SSG

First the good news. Carriers at War, both single and multi-player, is 100% playable and we have completed virtually all the artwork required for the game. The bad news is that this does not constitute a finished game. There are still scenarios to check and balance, minor game screens to complete and further testing to do. We won't be able to finish all that and have the game on sale this year, as we wished. We will finish it as soon as we can early next year, though in order to avoid further messages like this, I will avoid the temptation to put a specific date on the release.

I'm sorry that we couldn't make the Christmas delivery, but its better to take some extra time and make sure that everything is right.

Gregor

Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.
Post #: 1
RE: No Carriers at War for Santa - 12/13/2006 11:54:57 AM   
undercovergeek

boo hiss...... but its great that its 'nearly' done - nothing worse than going back to work on Jan 2nd with nothing to look forward to!!!!! I think those that are eagerly anticipating the game will understand, and despite a bit of disappointment will be pleased to hear its almost ready

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 2
RE: No Carriers at War for Santa - 12/13/2006 12:21:51 PM   
elmo3

Thanks for the update Gregor.

(in reply to undercovergeek)
Post #: 3
RE: No Carriers at War for Santa - 12/13/2006 1:39:03 PM   
Ursa MAior

It's better to be safe than sorry. Let us know when you have a 100% fixe3d release date.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 4
RE: No Carriers at War for Santa - 12/13/2006 5:58:31 PM   
Ken7

bah humbug. Id pout but Im too old to pout. Id complain but it wont get me anywhere. So, good luck, get it right.

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 5
RE: No Carriers at War for Santa - 12/13/2006 9:30:14 PM   
kgsan

Well, sorry to hear it will be a bit, but thanks for the update. Glad y'all are taking the time to finish it up right, though I wouldn't expect anything less from SSG.

Regards,

kgsan

(in reply to Ken7)
Post #: 6
RE: No Carriers at War for Santa - 12/15/2006 5:20:57 AM   
Scotj

How about letting us buy the unfinished version now?  I don't mind it being a little rough...  :)

Scot

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 7
RE: No Carriers at War for Santa - 12/16/2006 1:08:59 AM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL:  Mike Wood

Hello...

1)  Carriers at War is being done by another development team.  Sure it will be great.  Ours will be better.

(in reply to Scotj)
Post #: 8
RE: No Carriers at War for Santa - 12/16/2006 5:30:01 PM   
Scotj

1)  Carriers at War is being done by another development team.  Sure it will be great.  Ours will be better.

What does this mean? Someone else is making a version of Carriers at War? Huh?

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 9
RE: No Carriers at War for Santa - 12/16/2006 6:34:07 PM   
kgsan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scotj

I believe the development team behind the Uncommon Valor game (also published by Matrix games) are working on a new version of that game which will switch to a more tactical level when battles occur. After that, I think they will be releasing another carrier battle game with a broader scope (i.e. beyond the solomons-coral sea area) and more tactical focus. However, I don't think the first of these games will be out until mid to late 2007. There is a discussion of this in the Uncommon Valor game forum HERE

Regards,

kgsan

< Message edited by kgsan -- 12/16/2006 6:47:08 PM >

(in reply to Scotj)
Post #: 10
RE: No Carriers at War for Santa - 12/18/2006 3:02:28 AM   
Adam Parker

From the Developer's diary at 2by3games.com:

quote:

That’s not all we have going on at 2by3 Games. Gary Grigsby and Mike Wood have begun work on a tactical carrier game to cover the major carrier battles of WWII. The initial prototype is now being tested using the Uncommon Valor game. Mike has programmed Uncommon Valor so that whenever opposing carrier task forces are at sea and getting close to an enemy base with aircraft or an enemy carrier task force, the game slows down to 15 minutes turns and players begin to control their aircraft in the detail one would expect from a Gary Grigsby tactical carrier game. Out of this work we hope to develop two products, Uncommon Valor Deluxe (UV with the ability to switch on the detailed carrier combat portion of the game) and Carrier Strike, a game with 15 mile hexes and 15 minute turns that allows players to play historical and hypothetical carrier battles on as many as 7 different maps covering the Pacific and Indian Oceans.

As 2by3 have yet to really provide a stable naval game yet, I'm putting my dollars with SSG's Carrier Strike. It's their game, their intellectual property and their baby.

2by3 would be better to fix Uncommon Valor and War in the Pacific. You can't be all things to all people. Some companies just can't learn that lesson.

(in reply to kgsan)
Post #: 11
RE: No Carriers at War for Santa - 12/18/2006 6:33:34 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

As 2by3 have yet to really provide a stable naval game yet

Hi Adam,

I have to admit that UV isn't my cup of tea, either, but I'm not sure that I'd characterize it as "less than stable," although it has numerous as yet unaddressed bugs. When talking about stability issues, games like Age of Sail 2 come to mind. "Crash and burn, baby!" I swore off Akella, FOREVER, when they walked away from supporting AOS2 because it was such a wreck. Not to rankle, but I thought someone ought to draw some sort of distinction between, "buggy" and unstable.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 12
RE: No Carriers at War for Santa - 12/18/2006 10:50:56 PM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

I have to admit that UV isn't my cup of tea, either, but I'm not sure that I'd characterize it as "less than stable," although it has numerous as yet unaddressed bugs.

Hi Ivanmoe, your words indeed reflect my intent!

Looking through an old Avalon Hill catalogue last night I saw their Wooden Ships board game and wished someone would do justice to Age of Sail - it sure is a huge hole in war gaming. Maths, physics and geometry, tactics. If the industry can code an air warfare game solving the same parameters (Flight Commander 2 for example), surely some smart design house can code a war ship game? Forget the glitz, provide the battle!

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 13
RE: No Carriers at War for Santa - 12/30/2006 10:33:24 AM   
Owl

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgsan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scotj

I believe the development team behind the Uncommon Valor game (also published by Matrix games) are working on a new version of that game which will switch to a more tactical level when battles occur. After that, I think they will be releasing another carrier battle game with a broader scope (i.e. beyond the solomons-coral sea area) and more tactical focus. However, I don't think the first of these games will be out until mid to late 2007. There is a discussion of this in the Uncommon Valor game forum HERE

Regards,

kgsan

Before CAW there was a game called Carrier Strike, this is the one that is being talked about being added in an updated form to UV. Personally I liked the game better than CAW in that you had more control over the search planes and areas as well as flight deck mechanics but that doesn't mean that CAW 2 won't kick butt.

(.) (.)

...V...

(in reply to kgsan)
Post #: 14
RE: No Carriers at War for Santa - 1/4/2007 2:22:57 PM   
kc0blp

Second vote for Carrier Strike... loved that game even enough to install DOS emulator but it was just too much work. The emulator that is not the game.

< Message edited by kc0blp -- 1/4/2007 2:33:51 PM >

(in reply to Owl)
Post #: 15
RE: No Carriers at War for Santa - 1/4/2007 5:30:46 PM   
sapper_astro

No way was carrier strike better.

It had one plus, you could micromanage everything...which to me is actually a minus. CAW always allowed the player quite a bit of power (more than any task fleet commander) but also gave an excellent commanders view of the frustration of command, and the inability to tell every little plane exactly where to go.

Strikes could go amiss, orders delayed, and weather screw up even the best laid plan.

In any case, I already own carriers at war 2. So I am not sure what they are naming this one.

There has been an old C64 version, an updated graphics/interface dos version later, and Carriers at war 2 that covered the far east (British india/Malaya, Battle of Java sea, pre ww2 plan orange and a few others.).

(in reply to kc0blp)
Post #: 16
RE: No Carriers at War for Santa - 1/4/2007 8:55:32 PM   
Ursa MAior

Yep I played that one to death. My fav was the Trincomalee scen where yu could had the two unbuilt dutch BCs.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to sapper_astro)
Post #: 17
RE: No Carriers at War for Santa - 1/9/2007 8:59:31 PM   
SireChaos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ursa MAior

Yep I played that one to death. My fav was the Trincomalee scen where yu could had the two unbuilt dutch BCs.

I had that game too, and I am almost certain you had these BCs in a variant of the Java Sea scenario, not Trincomalee.

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 18
RE: No Carriers at War for Santa - 1/9/2007 9:46:26 PM   
Ursa MAior

You could be right. I played CAWII some 10+ yrs ago.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 19
RE: No Carriers at War for Santa - 1/9/2007 11:01:30 PM   
Joisey

So, is a 1st Qtr 2007 release still in the cards?

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 20
RE: No Carriers at War for Santa - 1/19/2007 12:42:40 AM   
Marc gto

I HOPE SO...

(in reply to Joisey)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> No Carriers at War for Santa Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI