Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What Do I Do Now? Need Advice

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> What Do I Do Now? Need Advice Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What Do I Do Now? Need Advice - 12/19/2006 5:14:05 PM   
migoodman

Hello Everyone,
I'm about 11 months into a campaign game as Allies and have run out of ideas. Any advice on how best to win (finish!) the game? here's the details:

It's September 1, 1944, and I'm in pretty good shape as the Allies. Victory points are approx 58,000 to 42,000, I hold the Marianas (though I'm still mopping up in Saipan) as well as getting ready to invade the Phillipines from Menado, Amboina, and environs. I hold almost all of New Guinea and the the Central Pacific islands, though I don't own Truk or Pillelu but there's not much left of either of them except for a gazillion starving troops. In SE Asia, I've taken Alkyab and Victoria Point and am working on Rangoon.

But I'm not sure what to do now. The obvious Japanese strongpoints, like Okinawa, Manilla, and Iwo Jima are heavily fortified by the AI and I'd like to avoid being bogged down strategically. I do have B29s bombing Japan from the Marianas but not enough to win the war, and it's a long time before I go "nuclear."

I'm wide open to suggestions and thank you in advance for them. I'd like to finish this game before the next decade (real time!)

Happy Holidays,

Michael

Post #: 1
RE: What Do I Do Now? Need Advice - 12/19/2006 5:42:12 PM   
Terminus

Have you got Palau?

Other than that, you have two choices in CENTPAC: Philippines or Formosa. The former will probably take longer to conquer. From both places, you put a clamp on the entire SRA. Then, it's Okinawa, Iwo Jima and the Home Islands.

In SEAC, I'd liberate the rest of Burma, down to Tavoy, and then you can attack his resources in Indochina, Malaya and Sumatra.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to migoodman)
Post #: 2
RE: What Do I Do Now? Need Advice - 12/19/2006 5:51:13 PM   
kilowatts

What is the breakdown (location points, army loss points, a/c loss points)? And how many strategic losses are you inflicting per raid? The only points you can take away from Japan are the location points.

To win in '44 you'll need 3x Japans score. At this point that's 126,000 points ! To win in '45 you'll need 84,000 points. Every point you can take away from Japan is 2 or 3 less you'll need to win.

< Message edited by kilowatts -- 12/19/2006 6:07:16 PM >

(in reply to migoodman)
Post #: 3
RE: What Do I Do Now? Need Advice - 12/19/2006 8:02:24 PM   
Redan

Go for the throat. Everything is a side show except home islands. Stone the AI into the Bomb Age. Use subs to strangle home islands.

"You can't stack units in this game. This is Tactics II, hexes haven't been invented yet..."

(in reply to kilowatts)
Post #: 4
RE: What Do I Do Now? Need Advice - 12/19/2006 8:54:30 PM   
Redan

You could always makes three or four saves and try one of everything. Kind of a poo-poo platter.

"You can't stack units in this game. This is Tactics II, hexes haven't been invented yet..."

(in reply to Redan)
Post #: 5
RE: What Do I Do Now? Need Advice - 12/19/2006 8:55:13 PM   
Yamato hugger

Use your recon units. Locate where Japs are. Personally, I would stay away from Japan if you can. Re-take the southern resource area. Kill the Jap troops in that area for points, get points back (and add to your own point total) for that area.

Recon, recon, recon. Know where he is. Use your PBYs for recon if you have to. Find bases with small Jap garrisons and wipe them out. Start up a new campaign game as the allies and go base by base and look at the numbers of points the Japs get and the number the allies get for a given base and target the higher ones first.

(in reply to Redan)
Post #: 6
RE: What Do I Do Now? Need Advice - 12/19/2006 11:25:03 PM   
niceguy2005

I would agree that you have to look at where you can take away base points from Japan. Also, have you destroyed the IJN? There's a lot of points to be had sinking capital ships. If you have I see two options.

1. Mop up all the major bases outside the HI, except maybe Iwo Jima
2. Go for the gold and take the HI. Of course you will activate the Kamikazes.

Personally I would go for the throat.

Of course if you want a historical game you have to send McArthur to PI with Southwest Pac first.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 7
RE: What Do I Do Now? Need Advice - 12/20/2006 5:14:22 AM   
RUPD3658

Retake Manilla, Singapore, and Rangoon since they are worth the most points. The other bases are not worth it since you will suffer losses in the process. 30K worth of strategic bombing VPs is not too hard to do. If you can take Iwo Jima and/or Manilla you B-24s can join the party too.

Keep in mind that next August you get several hundred thousand screaming commies to help you liberate Korea and North China. That should score some serious points too.

At this point in the war I would not bother bombing resources outside the Home Islands since the AI probably has enough in the pools that this will not have any effect for a while and you don't get any VPs for bombing outside the HI.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> What Do I Do Now? Need Advice Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI