Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

4 vs. 5 man rotations

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> 4 vs. 5 man rotations Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4 vs. 5 man rotations - 12/21/2006 2:56:07 PM   
bobsayah

After upgrading my long-running association (currently in 1971) to PS2007, I notice that there seems to be a big difference in pitcher endurance. Whereas previously a team pretty much needed a 5 man rotation unless there was an off day, starting pitchers are now able to recover quickly enough that teams can easily get away with a 4 man rotation. So, being a little hard up for quality starting pitching, I switched my team over to a four man rotation and sent my #5 guy to the pen. However, I notice that all of the AI-controlled teams still have five man rotations in place, but almost always skip the 5th guys turn (and often the 4th guy's turn as well), meaning the guys in the 5th rotation spot are almost never pitching.

My question is: Will the AI ever decide to switch a team from a 5 man rotation to a 4 man rotation on its own? Or will I have to go to each team and make the judgement call myself as to the size of the rotation?
Post #: 1
RE: 4 vs. 5 man rotations - 12/21/2006 4:27:13 PM   
puresimmer

It tends to only make the switch in the stretch drive and in the playoffs. I'm looking at the recovery of pitchers right now. In the interim, you may want to try tweaking the following entry in the xml file: RECOVERY_PITCHER.

Lowering that a bit will lead to pitchers recovering more slowly.

I probably need to add a slight penalty to teams that start a guy on 3 days rest too often (in the modern era).

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to bobsayah)
Post #: 2
RE: 4 vs. 5 man rotations - 12/21/2006 4:28:50 PM   
looneyluden

I don't know the answer to your question about whether AI will switch to a four-man rotation on it's own. But I have had similar situation where the 5'th starter almost never got a turn, because starters recovery times were too fast. The fix for this I found on this forum is changing the XML file part of "starter_recovery rate". I change mine from 86(default), to 46. This causes the 5'th starter to need to be used. Each time a beta or patch comes out, it reloads the original XML as part of the install. So I re-edit the XML each time after the patch. Maybe you had changed your recovery rate a long time ago, and forgot. On a side note, I also edit the "reliever_recovery rate" numbers down a little to help keep that more realistic.

(in reply to bobsayah)
Post #: 3
RE: 4 vs. 5 man rotations - 12/22/2006 1:40:30 AM   
KG Erwin

I keep wondering about the 4 vs 5 issue, but since I play in a particular era, I see no problem with 4 quality starters (in a 154-game season) getting 38 starts each, using the default XML. If nothing else, this should provide at least a few 20-game winners, and a reasonable number of CGs. I'm crossing my fingers as I write this, hoping that my new association will give me reasonable results.

(in reply to looneyluden)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> 4 vs. 5 man rotations Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI