Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Wish List

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Wish List Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 9:13:20 AM   
von Beanie

The single thing that is bugging me the most are the exceptionally long load times before and after a PBEM turn. I'd like to see an option to start the game without music and animations so that it would load quicker. This is also the first game I've played that takes forever to close after you save the PBEM file at the end of your turn. I have no idea what the game program is doing, but I have considered rebooting my computer at that point simply to stop the nonsense, but I'm afraid I might corrupt the PBEM file somehow. In fact, I generally spend more time waiting for the program to load and close than I spend making my moves.

There must be a way to make the game more user-friendly in regards to the loading and closing times. And the problem isn't that my computer is archaic, because it is less than 2 years old (3.2 Ghz).

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 301
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 10:17:25 AM   
marecone

Ranks
- I belive someone mentioned this before. Anyway, the idea where you have to promote your generals in next higher position isn't so good. Why wouldn't you live us a choice where we could choose who and when to promote.
- political influence... That one, I belive you said is too much work.
- when general is promoted to command army or corp he should maybe lose some quality. Corps and armies are ofcourse much tougher to command then brigades. This would ofcourse mean that all general qualities should fluctuate based on their promotions and their succeses and failors in war

"I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue."

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to von Beanie)
Post #: 302
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 10:18:16 AM   
marecone

90 day militia
- could this be done? It would add to realism.

"I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue."

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 303
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 10:22:39 AM   
marecone

Stats
- this is, I belive, third time I am mentionig this . At the end of the game include stats. Like, when you finish the game a history book animation occurs named American civil war. Then you would have like several pages of stats and facts about your game. How much did it last, bloodiest battles, best brigades (based on their stats), best generals (also, based on their individual stats), most important battles and events, cities destroyed, people died of disseses and died in combat and such.
I am an older player and I still like to some some nice graphics and results when I finish the game. Like in older games . Plus we would have something to compare with each other.

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 304
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 10:24:15 AM   
marecone

POW's
- very important in ACW. That one would require one new building (POW camp), additional resource spending and maybe some option to exchange prisoners. They could also be made to work and produce something, as well.

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 305
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 10:28:10 AM   
marecone

Reports in form of newspapers
- I have already wrote some on this subject. Report is one of the most important parts of the game. Whynot make it a more enjoyable? Insted, CSA wins a battle 6,000 men dead- Usa 10,000 men dead make it :
"In early july 1862. Confederate forces under general Forrest whiped blue coats near Nashville. In process Forrest lost about 6,000 men and Union corp lost more then 10,000 men." Or something like it.
In one of my previous posts about the newspapers you have a link to ACW papers. Great stuff. Pics, adds and much more of that time.

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 306
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 10:29:48 AM   
marecone

Brigade commanders
- when you attach them to a brigade they will actualy command one random brigade or I am wrong. Not sure. But if that is true thenmake it possible to attach a brigade general to one precise brigade.

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 307
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 10:32:49 AM   
marecone

Historical facts
- when we get those bios for generals plus infos that we have on forts, guns and famous brigades we will have a very nice learning tool for ACW. Why wouldn't you include some facts as well. Like when you get a report (hopefully in newspaper form) at the end of it there could be one or more facts about the war and era. Like ACW firsts, battles, speeches and such.

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 308
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 10:34:21 AM   
marecone

HQ and quartermaster generals
- Ok. Include HQ for both armies and include QM staff. They would influence supplies onnational level. This is how it really was and plus would add a nice touch to the game. Also, navy secretary would be nice too.

< Message edited by marecone -- 12/21/2006 10:43:51 AM >

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 309
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 10:36:25 AM   
marecone

Theatre commanders
- long shot but... Maybe make a theatre commanders. One for west and one for east.

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 310
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 11:13:25 AM   
marecone

Instant battle options and battle intensity
- make instant battle options like call for reinforcements and such. I like strategical part of the game but if I want another army to join my attack from another province I have to play quick battle (whichI don't like). Also, it would be nice to include all those sweet options you have when playing detailed battle like suprise attack and such.
- second part would be from Frank Hunters old game. Make an option where in quick and instant battles you could choose battle intensity. Like all out attack to minor skirmish or deleyed retreat... General with higher initiatiev of two involved would get things his way.

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 311
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 11:15:41 AM   
marecone

Siege options
- would it be possible to choose siege options right away? Like bombard and stuff. I hate seeing so many men killed just because I don't have an option for the first turn of the siege. Itis not like they were suprised that they find a town or for in that province . Sieges were cerefully planed.

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 312
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 11:16:47 AM   
marecone

That would be it for now . I hope someone is reading all of our wishes and since Christmas is near... Well...

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 313
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 11:20:33 AM   
freeboy

While playing tonight, had my first union detailed com victory in 62.. thought of an idea.. reactive moves.. Ie if you have a certain level of intellegence from? spy.other you can see where the enemy plans to go and plan accordingly.. u could also limit this by needing telegraph and the like...

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 314
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 11:22:09 AM   
marecone

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

While playing tonight, had my first union detailed com victory in 62.. thought of an idea.. reactive moves.. Ie if you have a certain level of intellegence from? spy.other you can see where the enemy plans to go and plan accordingly.. u could also limit this by needing telegraph and the like...

That would also be a nice touch.

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 315
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 1:47:48 PM   
daniel123

i want to go to war again england and france. i just feel that the South would not use the emancipation option so early in the war.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 316
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 2:15:40 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: marecone

Siege options
- would it be possible to choose siege options right away? Like bombard and stuff. I hate seeing so many men killed just because I don't have an option for the first turn of the siege. Itis not like they were suprised that they find a town or for in that province . Sieges were cerefully planed.

Or to at least replace "Normal Siege" with "Encircle" on the turn you can't control to avoid the automatic big pile of casualties. IRL the besieger's first step was to cut the target off from outside aid, not make a bloody assult on the walls....

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 317
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 2:19:15 PM   
marecone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

Siege options

Or to at least replace "Normal Siege" with "Encircle" on the turn you can't control to avoid the automatic big pile of casualties. IRL the besieger's first step was to cut the target off from outside aid, not make a bloody assult on the walls....

That would be fine with me

Nathan Bedford Forrest

Post #: 318
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 2:41:24 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

POW's
- very important in ACW. That one would require one new building (POW camp), additional resource spending and maybe some option to exchange prisoners. They could also be made to work and produce something, as well.

Probably a non-starter. Once POW's are in the mix, then "treatment of POW's" will be an issue as well, and both sides had rather abysmal records here. May well be "best forgotten", historical or not.

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 319
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 3:34:59 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

Siege options

Agreed.

Post #: 320
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 4:25:15 PM   
regularbird

REGULARBIRD WISH LIST

Allow general promotions/demotions at any time.  Do not force player to promote.
Only allow blockade runners to acquire weapons, no labor, horses or iron.
Get rid of partisans and raiders.  Allow a single calvary brigades to do the mission for both sides.
Set base reinforce rate for each side to 2000 per turn.  Each additional camp will add only 100 to replacement pool.  (this will reflect the fact that neither side used a great deal of replacements)
Lower CSA horse production to around 30 per turn.
Remove plantations completely from the game or give option to turn off.
When advanced buildings are turned off allow the CSA 3 and the USA 4 upgrades at the beginning of each year.
Allow no more than one fort per province.
This is what I have so far more to follow as I get a chance to play more.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 321
RE: Wish List - 12/21/2006 5:39:52 PM   
helop5

I would like to see historical units also appear via mustering and conscription. I find that I must muster and conscript a great deal more than create new units because I do not have the resources to do be able to create them. I like the idea of historical units appearing and in my games and they are just not coming....

So my request....Have historical units appear with conscription and mustering as well.

helop

< Message edited by helop5 -- 12/21/2006 5:50:02 PM >

(in reply to regularbird)
Post #: 322
RE: Wish List - 12/22/2006 1:16:31 AM   
minnesotavikes80

i liked a lot of what marecone said, especially brigade commanders, ranks, and most of all stats

(in reply to helop5)
Post #: 323
RE: Wish List - 12/22/2006 1:22:52 AM   
marecone

quote:

ORIGINAL: minnesotavikes80

i liked a lot of what marecone said, especially brigade commanders, ranks, and most of all stats

Thank you for your support

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to minnesotavikes80)
Post #: 324
RE: Wish List - 12/22/2006 6:57:57 PM   
regularbird

Does anyone agree with the idea of getting rid of raiders and partisans and just allowing a calvary brigade to perform the same functions but for both sides?

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 325
RE: Wish List - 12/22/2006 7:34:14 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: regularbird

Does anyone agree with the idea of getting rid of raiders and partisans and just allowing a calvary brigade to perform the same functions but for both sides?

Nope. There are few enough cavalry brigades in the game already without having to use them as raiders.

Post #: 326
RE: Wish List - 12/22/2006 7:59:39 PM   
regularbird

That is the bueaty you don't have to use them as raiders.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 327
RE: Wish List - 12/22/2006 9:06:27 PM   
jimwinsor

I like the idea, although the Union should be very very bad at it.  Some of the worst and most embarrassing disasters the North suffered were botched cavalry raids (and even an infamous "mule raid") that got "swallowed up" and captured.

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

Post #: 328
RE: Wish List - 12/22/2006 9:09:40 PM   
regularbird

It would probably be a bear to try to program in, if not Eric would have probably not had to create the special units.  At the very least I would like the option of turning off raiders and partisans, or giving the Union the special unit.

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 329
RE: Wish List - 12/22/2006 9:50:50 PM   
General Quarters

End of Game:
I just finished my first game, with a victory, and was shocked that it was immediately "game over" and exit. Two weeks of playing and two seconds of seeing that I had won.

At a minimum, the player should be able to return to the game, to review his units and occupied territories and how many of his and that he had built, and what weapons, and so on and so forth. That is a very easy way of relishing a victory.

More ideally, there would be a scroll or sequence of screens that reported on something like the ten largest battles in chronological order, so it's a bit of a history. Each should report the size of the armies (in inf, cav, art), the names of armies and corps involved, the generals commanding, the casualties. More info would be even better, e.g., the entire order of battle, weapons, all generals present, etc. Putting it in newspaper form is a nifty idea.

Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Wish List Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI