Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Crushing vehicles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Crushing vehicles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Crushing vehicles - 8/8/2000 12:31:00 PM   
Hornet

Why can't we crush immobilized (light)units by driving over them with tanks? It would save some ammo...

Post #: 1
- 8/8/2000 4:33:00 PM   
Fredde

Not a bad idea, why not use overrun attacks.. effective against infantry hiding in foxholes, maybe against vehicles too with a chance of immobilization of course. Perhaps the return fire of a failed overrun attack would be more lethal because of the tank passing very very close. Perhaps the tank would have to pass some sort of experience check to get close enough to make an overrun attack too and not just blast away with cannons and machineguns even at 0 in range (the hex is still fairly big in area). Just rambling ;-)

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 2
- 8/8/2000 5:07:00 PM   
McGib

About the only thing you could crush would be immobolized jeeps. Trucks would be almost to big, you would push them not crush them. And if you tried to run over a pinned squad, well most you might get would be a man or two, the rest just running away. Neat idea but IMO not really practical for SP.

Ready Aye Ready

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 3
- 8/8/2000 6:11:00 PM   
Hornet

Perhaps tanks could drive over mortars and AA-guns and any other unit that can't move away. I wonder what kind of a sound comes from tank crushing a field gun...

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 4
- 8/8/2000 6:22:00 PM   
Hornet

This is post number 10000

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 5
- 8/8/2000 6:40:00 PM   
Kenny Goodman

The real reason the russians in the early part of the war ran over and into other tanks/guns etc. was they had brand new tanks with no ammo. I've seen several interesting photos of tank vs. tank ramming each other along with flattended guns and small vehicles, generally 37mm, motorcyles and one of a T-34 riding up over the front corner of a pz-II. It would be neat to here a good metal screech for ramming something..

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 6
- 8/9/2000 2:50:00 AM   
Redleg

Remember that the hex is 50m in size. If you run into a hex, what are the odds of hitting a jeep? Redleg

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 7
- 8/9/2000 2:53:00 AM   
Nikademus

'Crushing' tactics were not unique to the Russians short of ammo. Have read some specific German accounts of charging and destroying fixed AT gun emplacements by 'crushing' A viable tactic but i have to agree with the mention that the 'hexes' are 50yards in length, range 0 does'nt necessarily mean totally 'in your face' Maybe a % chance based on exp?

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 8
- 8/9/2000 3:00:00 AM   
Seth

The odds of moving 50 yards and hitting something are minimal, of course, but we're all talking about trying to do it, which makes it basically 100% for static targets, at least. Your chances of driving your car into a telephone pole are minimal, too, unless you put some effort into it.

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 9
- 8/9/2000 3:38:00 AM   
Panther

Yes the hexes are 50m or so. Raming or cruching could only really work on stationary or imobilized objects or maybe objects much slower and less manuverable than you. Defenitly not on any human targets. If this is ever put into this game you should have the option to do so if you enter the same hex. IE running over an AT gun or a mortar. The crew of such target should not be killed they just become a crew with high suppresion. If you want to ram another tank or vehicle the odds become much harder unless the opposing tank wants to ram you to. Imagin a tank ramming contests.

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 10
- 8/9/2000 7:28:00 AM   
Owl

I can't remember where I read it, but apparently crunching ATG's, and other guns was one of the better ways to take them out as they were very hard to hit. Obviously it was more useful with smaller guns and more robust vehicles. One wouldn't want to attempt to run over an 88 with your Sherman probably. Americans did a lot of crunching in the Pacific, at least until the Japanese came up with relatively effective anti tank methods. Grandfather says they'd run down whole squads if they could catch them out of cover. ------------------ (.) (.) ...V...

(.) (.)

...V...

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 11
- 8/9/2000 10:49:00 AM   
Colonel Klink

I laughed out loud when i read the title of this thread. Crushing/running over vehicles is a great idea. It always reminds me of close combat1 and the "squishy" sound made whenever somebody got run over by a tank. Gruesome but funny in the right context. CK

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Crushing vehicles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI