Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Many Generals setting

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Many Generals setting Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Many Generals setting - 12/23/2006 3:34:46 AM   
USSLockwood

I've just started a new game, and enabled the 'many generals' option. Wow, what a difference. The Union Army is a juggernaut (at least in the West, I haven't had the guts to try Lee's boys yet). I'm wondering, what is the reason for having fewer generals? Conceivably, the Union had plenty of officers by the end of 1861. Sure, most of them sucked, but even a bad general is better than no general at all.

Dave
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control
Post #: 1
RE: Many Generals setting - 12/23/2006 3:40:46 AM   
jimwinsor

It's a preference based on one's love/hate of micromanagement. 

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

(in reply to USSLockwood)
Post #: 2
RE: Many Generals setting - 12/23/2006 7:03:45 AM   
proginc

Great Game, minor complaint. I don't understand the reason for less qualified generals than compartments. For example, if you have 3 divisions, you should have three 2 star Generals. The Union Army didn't lack in division commanders, what it lacked in was QUALITY commanders. Whenever you build a division, corps, army you should get the corrisponding General Promotion.

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 3
RE: Many Generals setting - 12/23/2006 10:48:34 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: proginc

Great Game, minor complaint. I don't understand the reason for less qualified generals than compartments. For example, if you have 3 divisions, you should have three 2 star Generals. The Union Army didn't lack in division commanders, what it lacked in was QUALITY commanders. Whenever you build a division, corps, army you should get the corrisponding General Promotion.

Good point. Couple of other oddities come to mind as well. "Mustering" a regiment/brigade causes you problems with the State Governors. This is exactly the opposite of the Union situation for certain, and the probably Confederacy's as well. Mustering a unit in the state meant the Governor got to appoint his favorite political hacks and supporters as Colonels and Generals (where did you think all those lousy leders came from?). That's why the North kept raising new units instead of reinforcing already existing ones. More units meant more officer appointments for the Governors, creating MORE support by them for the "cause".

And couldn't the game be tweeked to have the Officers arrive in a "real province" rather than a river one? One with more "room" to display them? Like putting the Union leaders in Deleware and the South's in Petersburg?

(in reply to proginc)
Post #: 4
RE: Many Generals setting - 12/23/2006 1:26:15 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: proginc

...I don't understand the reason for less qualified generals than compartments...The Union Army didn't lack in division commanders, what it lacked in was QUALITY commanders...

The reason was stated in the post right above yours in this thread. You can just think of divisions, or corps, or armies that don't have a named leader as being commanded by one of very poor quality.

(in reply to proginc)
Post #: 5
RE: Many Generals setting - 12/23/2006 9:43:10 PM   
freeboy

Rememberr you also can build a building that adds more higher ranking generals called a ? oh well it is in the game..

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 6
RE: Many Generals setting - 12/24/2006 2:14:44 AM   
General Quarters

academy?

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 7
RE: Many Generals setting - 12/24/2006 5:27:46 AM   
Hard Sarge

Roger and there are some changes to the system comeing, if they work out :)

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 8
RE: Many Generals setting - 12/24/2006 7:04:49 AM   
jonreb31

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

Roger and there are some changes to the system comeing, if they work out :)

Sounds exciting. :)

Yes you build Academies to allow more promotions. It takes quite a lot of time and resources though..

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Many Generals setting Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI