Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Are the effects of telegraphs additive?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Are the effects of telegraphs additive? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Are the effects of telegraphs additive? - 12/24/2006 6:01:50 PM   
Nick R

If you have a camp, 1 telegraph doubles the reinforement rate. Does another telegrapgh double it again???
Post #: 1
RE: Are the effects of telegraphs additive? - 12/24/2006 6:08:20 PM   
General Quarters

I thought a telegraph increases it by 50 percent.

(in reply to Nick R)
Post #: 2
RE: Are the effects of telegraphs additive? - 12/24/2006 8:03:06 PM   
ericbabe

No, telegraphs don't allow more than 1 additional brigade per turn.  I did fix a bug related to this for the next update -- in some cases the new units weren't able to appear on the map.  It would be nice to modify the rules to allow multiple telegraphs to have some purpose, since most buildings in the game function cumulatively.  It would also be nice to allow raiders/partisans to foil the effects of telegraphs.  Maybe having one telegraph could provide the bonus reinforcement as it does now and then telegraphs beyond one could have a chance based on their total number of providing an additional brigade.  Multiple telegraphs could perhaps give units a chance to arrive fresh or not-fatigued.

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 3
RE: Are the effects of telegraphs additive? - 12/24/2006 8:39:55 PM   
General Quarters

Eric's reply confuses me. I thought that telegraphs added 50 percent to reinforcements from a camp, e.g., 500 would go to 750. But Eric speaks of new brigades. Does a camp plus a telegraph produce a new brigade? Please straighten me out.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 4
RE: Are the effects of telegraphs additive? - 12/24/2006 10:29:16 PM   
ericbabe

Telegraphs provide bonuses to units reinforcing during detailed battle.  Somewhat confusingly, we use "reinforcement" to refer both to the strength provided by Camps and also to refer to units that can be called from adjacent provinces during battle.  Telegraphs provide bonus to the latter.

Post #: 5
RE: Are the effects of telegraphs additive? - 12/24/2006 11:21:46 PM   
General Quarters

Does that mean that, if you are playing strategic-Quick Battles, there is no point at all to telegraphs?

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 6
RE: Are the effects of telegraphs additive? - 12/25/2006 12:17:27 AM   
Nick R

I tought they worked as General Quatres stated "I thought that telegraphs added 50 percent to reinforcements from a camp, e.g., 500 would go to 750."

Great then all that money I spent buying telegraphs was a waste!  

Post #: 7
RE: Are the effects of telegraphs additive? - 12/25/2006 8:31:42 AM   
Hard Sarge

think of it this way, Telegraph's help with Reinforcements to battle, Camp's work with replacements

(in reply to Nick R)
Post #: 8
RE: Are the effects of telegraphs additive? - 12/25/2006 4:24:17 PM   
General Quarters

Then does that mean they are pointless if you are doing all Quick Battles (or is there some kind of equivalent to battle reinforcement in QB)?

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 9
RE: Are the effects of telegraphs additive? - 12/25/2006 7:04:49 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Quarters
Does that mean that, if you are playing strategic-Quick Battles, there is no point at all to telegraphs?

They provide a small abstract bonus to all morale checks. In general, everything in the game that helps you in detailed combat gives some sort of bonus in quick battle; generally it's in the form of a small behind the scenes chance of getting +1 on your roll. Telegraphs, I believe, have a 10% to give +1 to every morale check.

Post #: 10
RE: Are the effects of telegraphs additive? - 12/26/2006 1:22:03 AM   
General Quarters

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe
In general, everything in the game that helps you in detailed combat gives some sort of bonus in quick battle; generally it's in the form of a small behind the scenes chance of getting +1 on your roll.

I'm glad to hear that. I was afraid I was building some buildings or adding brigade improvements, etc., that really didn't help in QB. I assume you have tried to roughly project from its value in detailed combat to a reasonable abstracted value in QB. That's good!

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 11
RE: Are the effects of telegraphs additive? - 12/27/2006 5:06:33 PM   
jimkehn

Hard Sarge (as well as Eric) has hit the point. The confusion lies in using the term reinforcements to refer to both reinforcements (already formed BDE's) entering an established battle, and for the replacement troops generated by camps. Most games differentiate between reinforcements (organized units) and replacements (new individual troops filling vacated ranks inside already organized units). The telegraph only benefits reinforcements, as I understand it.

Post #: 12
RE: Are the effects of telegraphs additive? - 12/27/2006 6:27:13 PM   
General Quarters

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Quarters

Then does that mean they are pointless if you are doing all Quick Battles (or is there some kind of equivalent to battle reinforcement in QB)?

This question is about telegraphs. It would be great if someone has a Yes or No answer.

Post #: 13
RE: Are the effects of telegraphs additive? - 12/27/2006 6:45:20 PM   
soeren01

They are not pointless as according to ericbabe everything gives a bonus for quick combat.
So the short answer is no, they are not pointless.

< Message edited by soeren01 -- 12/27/2006 6:55:50 PM >

soeren01, formerly known as Soeren
CoG FoF
PacWar WIR BoB BTR UV WITP WITE WITW

Post #: 14
RE: Are the effects of telegraphs additive? - 12/27/2006 9:27:10 PM   
General Quarters

Got it! Thanks.

(in reply to soeren01)
Post #: 15
RE: Are the effects of telegraphs additive? - 12/30/2006 6:39:29 PM   
Jaypea

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

Telegraphs provide bonuses to units reinforcing during detailed battle.  Somewhat confusingly, we use "reinforcement" to refer both to the strength provided by Camps and also to refer to units that can be called from adjacent provinces during battle.  Telegraphs provide bonus to the latter.

The game files and in game prompts should call those soldiers coming from camps as "replacements". Telegraphs as I understand now, do not increase replacements but rather increase the number of reinforcing bridgades that are in adjacent provinces. Boy that was quite confusing and I think unnecessarily.

JP

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Are the effects of telegraphs additive? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI