Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can't build almanac anymore.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> Can't build almanac anymore. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't build almanac anymore. - 12/24/2006 7:56:08 AM   
looneyluden

My game will not build an almanac anymore. My association recently finished a season, and i noticed during the off-season, at the point it would normally build the almanac, it crashed. I reloaded the game and it recovered the association just fine. But when I go to the almanac screen and try to build the HTML almanac, it instantly crashed with a Run-time error 2147024770 (8007007e).

So after that I tried loading up some of my older associations. The ones that already had almanacs built, I can look at all the HTML almanacs just fine. But on ones where I hadn't gotten far enough to have built one yet, when I try to select to build it, it crashes with same error above. Also on the associations where the almanac was already built and I can look at it just fine, if I click the "rebuild almanac" button in the top right of the screen, it crashes with same above error.

For some reason my game has stopped being able to build the almanacs. I have no idea if it was because of the newest patch or not, since I have been playing the same association for ever now, and just two days ago I finally completed a season.

I did a little search on the forum for this same run-time error, and a found three threads where it happened to other people. But never for the almanac being built. The suggested corrective action was to check windows updates, and to uninstall, then reinstall the game. I just checked my windows, and I am completely up-to-date, I use automatic windows XP updates. I then uninstalled my game, and reloaded a clean version 1.0 from my puresim disc( i elected to have a copy sent to me from matrix when I initially bought the game). So I retried the associations, with version 1.o. Once again, I can view already created HTML almanacs, but I can't build any new ones. I just downloaded and reintalled 1.51 patch and that did not help.

After more testing I also noticed I can no longer create new associations from scratch. If, for instance, I try to create a new association from say "puresim classic", after selecting league size, and other options, it crashes as soon as the screen goes to "creating association" part. The only way I can create a new association is by using a pre-made one (psa file?) from earlier. These crashed are the same run-time error as stated above.

Shawn, can you give me a heads-up as to what may be causing this? I am not very good at computers. But I also don't mess with mine too much, so I don't think I have anything corrupted on it. One last thing, I also recently switched from mcafee to norton antivirus. Just for the heck of it I tried turning off the norton functions, but that also did not help.

I love looking through the almanacs, and can't live without this part of the game. Any help is greatly appreciated.

< Message edited by looneyluden -- 12/24/2006 8:29:16 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Can't build almanac anymore. - 12/24/2006 3:08:48 PM   
puresimmer

The only thing I can think is that since installing PureSim, you have added somethign else to your computer that causes a corruption or conflict. I am espcially sure of this given that you went back to 1.0 and had the same issue.

I suggest you disable any anti-virus or anti-spyware programs and try that. Is there anything else you may have installed recently that could be causing the conflict? Also, try checking your hard disk for errors.

One last thing to try would be to try and manually install this windows component:

Download Jet Service Pack 8

This is definitely an issue with something being corrupt on your computer.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to looneyluden)
Post #: 2
RE: Can't build almanac anymore. - 12/24/2006 7:03:18 PM   
looneyluden

Hey thanks for the fast response. You are right about it being something corrupt on my computer. After trying a few things and them not working, I decided to do a System Restore back to Dec 6'th. And then I loaded up puresim and everything worked fine. So something between then and now caused it.

The main things I have done to my computer since then are:

---Uninstalled Mcafee A/V

---Installed Norton A/V

---Uninstalled Windows Defender

---Installed a game called Gothic(which also required me to install some kind of AMD optimizer for dual-core chips). That optimizer came loaded with the game to help with an issue the game was having with dual core amd's.

I guess I will go back to each restore point one at a time and see if I can figure out what caused it.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 3
RE: Can't build almanac anymore. - 12/24/2006 7:14:13 PM   
Silverbullet

I have had this problem from the get go.
When I try to "build" an association I get the "Run-time error 429" error Active X component can't create object", and I cannot update the almanac either.
This seems to be a carry over from PS 2005 which gave the same 429 error after I tried to uninstall it.
I can also use the "prebuilt associations".
I have tried every suggestion Shaun had given me, but non worked, so I am playing the associations I can.
Hopefully I will not have this problem with PS2008.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 4
RE: Can't build almanac anymore. - 12/24/2006 7:59:16 PM   
looneyluden

I have narrowed mine down to a 99 percent chance it was caused by my install of Norton Anti-virus. I did a system restore to the day I installed Norton, and still had the problem. But if I restore to the day previous to installing Norton, the game works just fine.

This could end up being a big problem for me, as I have cancelled my Mcafee subscription that day and uninstalled it. And then I subscribed to Norton for my wife and my two computers. I switched to Norton because they have a "Protect 2 computers for One Low Price" deal. Mcafee did not.

At this point I will go to a newer restore point, that has Norton loaded. And I will see if their is a way to completely turn it off, and then try running the game. Earlier today I did try turning Norton's off, but it did not help. They pretty much make these anti-virus software about impossible to completely turn off. I chose "off" for all the setting in the security center, but that didn't help. This time I will try using the Tast List with CNTL-ALT-DEL.

(in reply to Silverbullet)
Post #: 5
RE: Can't build almanac anymore. - 12/24/2006 9:48:35 PM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silverbullet

I have had this problem from the get go.
When I try to "build" an association I get the "Run-time error 429" error Active X component can't create object", and I cannot update the almanac either.
This seems to be a carry over from PS 2005 which gave the same 429 error after I tried to uninstall it.
I can also use the "prebuilt associations".
I have tried every suggestion Shaun had given me, but non worked, so I am playing the associations I can.
Hopefully I will not have this problem with PS2008.

Silver,

This is not PureSim, there are some corrupt files on your machine. If it were PureSim, you'd see hundreds of people posting here with the same error. I am 100% sure if you re-install windows fresh it will clear up any issues you are having.

Post #: 6
RE: Can't build almanac anymore. - 12/24/2006 9:50:39 PM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: looneyluden

I have narrowed mine down to a 99 percent chance it was caused by my install of Norton Anti-virus. I did a system restore to the day I installed Norton, and still had the problem. But if I restore to the day previous to installing Norton, the game works just fine.

This could end up being a big problem for me, as I have cancelled my Mcafee subscription that day and uninstalled it. And then I subscribed to Norton for my wife and my two computers. I switched to Norton because they have a "Protect 2 computers for One Low Price" deal. Mcafee did not.

At this point I will go to a newer restore point, that has Norton loaded. And I will see if their is a way to completely turn it off, and then try running the game. Earlier today I did try turning Norton's off, but it did not help. They pretty much make these anti-virus software about impossible to completely turn off. I chose "off" for all the setting in the security center, but that didn't help. This time I will try using the Tast List with CNTL-ALT-DEL.

Thanks for the great troubleshooting. Some virus programs have an option to not scan certain folders -- maybe Norton has such an option and you could have it not scan the Matrix Games\PureSim 2007 folders? Just an idea.

Post #: 7
RE: Can't build almanac anymore. - 12/25/2006 1:21:29 AM   
looneyluden

Woot! My game is working now. To sum up, I am still not sure what caused it. I went back to a system restore point before my uninstall of mcafee and install of Norton. Then I uninstalled Mcafee and reinstalled Norton. Then I reinstalled PS V1.0 and it worked great. I am back in business. One of two things must have happened.

1. It was a somewhat corrupt install of Norton the first time around (if thats possible).

2. The same day I had uninstalled Mcafee and installed Norton, I also had installed a new game for my computer called Gothic. This game required an extra piece of software that came on the game disk called AMD Dual Core Optimizer. That game has some issues with dual core's so they ask that you install that thing. Other than those things, they are the only things I did to alter my computer in any way on that day. And by trying many different restore points I did narrow it down to that day.

Glad to be up and running again and thanks for your help Shawn.

PS. I did lose all of my saved associations and history with Puresim during this delima. I was afraid some of the PS associations may have gotten screwed up with this problem so I wanted a clean slate. It's not that big of a deal though. It's a new year and time for a new league!

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 8
RE: Can't build almanac anymore. - 12/25/2006 7:49:28 PM   
Silverbullet

I am 100% sure if you re-install windows fresh it will clear up any issues you are having.

I am kind of afraid to do that.!!!!!!

Would you please explain the process to do a windows re-install ?

Post #: 9
RE: Can't build almanac anymore. - 12/25/2006 10:07:57 PM   
looneyluden

quote:

Most computers come with cd's that will bring your system back to its original configuration. I think you will have to reload everything on your computer again after that though. And some computers come with a windows recovery disc. It should be step-by-step instructions once you put the disk in.

I'm not computer literate or anything, but I thought this may help.

Post #: 10
RE: Can't build almanac anymore. - 12/29/2006 6:00:45 AM   
Silverbullet

Shaun

I am very nervous attempting this !!!

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> Can't build almanac anymore. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI