Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Wish List

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Wish List Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wish List - 12/26/2006 10:40:03 PM   
General Quarters

Victory Points & National Will

I had barely started playing and was not aware of having lost any battles and my VP turned up -2. I probably just missed something. It would be nice if there were a place one could see a breakdown of how those VP and NW points were won or lost.

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 391
RE: Wish List - 12/26/2006 10:41:51 PM   
General Quarters

Shouldn't James Harrison Wilson have a cavalry rating. Isn't the guy who did an amazing raid through Miss? If so, it should be a pretty high rating, only a little below Stuart and Sheridan.

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 392
RE: Wish List - 12/26/2006 10:43:23 PM   
General Quarters

Economy, Supply, etc., Reports

It would be great if (1) you could click at the top of a column to pull up the most numerous items in that category and (2) totals for each category appeared at the top of the column.

Post #: 393
RE: Wish List - 12/26/2006 11:03:02 PM   
Paper Tiger

Re -  Camps
Please don't forget the North can build horse farms no problem, it has pots of labour left over, also try sending some armies on a rampage of looting pillaging ad burning through Tenesee it is fun and it really messes with the CSA economy :-)

Post #: 394
RE: Wish List - 12/27/2006 3:48:33 AM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feltan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

I don't know, I don't follow

I have no trouble with the Union, the war is over before 62 is done when I play from the Union side

trying to be polite and all, but most of the complaints, seems to be that the Union is beating there head against a wall, and then complain, that it is not fair that they can't beat a hole in the wall

there is no reason for the CSA to be making more troops then the Union does, that is your fault, you can take away anything the CSA has if you want it (Fredericksburg, Richmound, Tenn-Miss-River areas, wait till you can take them, before you try to take them

you do not have to take something to take it away from the other side

maybe I have played the game too much

Indeed, maybe you have.

Being a hard-charging aggressive and successful player should have rewards in the game; however, such tactics should not be a substitute for the reality of the time. If you predicate game balance on your style of play, then the opposing AI would have to be monumentally skewed from that reality to offer a challange.

Regards,
Feltan

you ever read Liddel Hart ?, or any of the others of his type ?

and as the Chinese master stated, the perfect battle is the one that is not fought

other then Alexsander, not many Generals could fight the battle on the enemies own battlefield and win

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 395
RE: Wish List - 12/27/2006 3:49:17 AM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paper Tiger

Re - Camps
Please don't forget the North can build horse farms no problem, it has pots of labour left over, also try sending some armies on a rampage of looting pillaging ad burning through Tenesee it is fun and it really messes with the CSA economy :-)

well, nice to see someone follows what I been trying to say :)

(in reply to Paper Tiger)
Post #: 396
RE: Wish List - 12/27/2006 6:21:50 AM   
Feltan

quote:

you ever read Liddel Hart ?, or any of the others of his type ?

and as the Chinese master stated, the perfect battle is the one that is not fought

other then Alexsander, not many Generals could fight the battle on the enemies own battlefield and win

Actually, I studied them quite extensively.

My point was this: you may well be a master at this game (congrats); however, that does not make this a game good. Furthermore, for most consumers of a game like this, the ability to "win" against the AI is hollow unless there is appropriate levels of historical realism. Many, if not most, of the comments seen on these threads have to do with exactly that lack of historical realism. The fact that you can beat the tar out of an AI oppenent does not invalidate such comments.

Regards,
Feltan

< Message edited by Feltan -- 12/27/2006 9:34:05 AM >

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 397
RE: Wish List - 12/27/2006 7:38:47 AM   
Hard Sarge

overall, would have to point out that you can go to any forum on this board and make the same statement, I am just pointing out that you can win with what you have

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 398
RE: Wish List - 12/27/2006 9:24:26 AM   
Feltan

Yes you can, I concur. If one is willing to do frequent detailed combat, and has some practice at it, defeating larger forces is rather easy. I have "won" as both Union and Confederate using the same settings. However, as I stated above, such victories are rather hollow -- simply build a boatload of camps and any sins in combat are automatically forgiven.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 399
RE: Wish List - 12/27/2006 1:02:55 PM   
Hard Sarge

you don't need to build camps, you don't need to horde camps as some have suggested, 5000 men a turn is more then enough (more then that and you are keeping your Garrisons filled with troops)

the other point I am trying to make, with out coming out and saying it, if we cap the Camps that can be build, the player is going to find other uses for the Horses they have

once they do, then you are going to see a imbalance

and to be honest, I think most players are missing the big point, the CSA needs Iron, not horses, to get Iron, they need to shut down there Horse production, and the Union can make all the Iron they want, and it is very easy for the Union to shut down half of there Ironworks and use them for Horses and still have more then enough Iron to use, then it is for the CSA

Iron and Money drive what you need in the game, and it is much easier for the Union to load up and gain both then it is for the CSA

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 400
RE: Wish List - 12/27/2006 1:50:59 PM   
Texas D

How about an option to merge weakened brigades?

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 401
RE: Wish List - 12/27/2006 5:05:17 PM   
rook749

I won't argue the union can build horse farms pretty fast by 1862 if you start in the July 1861 Scenario and can make up the gap. But its cost a lot of money for all those mansions you need to build. And I've never seen the AI do this as the Union.

Rook

Post #: 402
RE: Wish List - 12/28/2006 3:10:10 AM   
bountyhunter

Is there any possibility of adding an artillery rating for generals?

(in reply to rook749)
Post #: 403
RE: Wish List - 12/28/2006 3:46:23 AM   
Thresh

quote:

Iron and Money drive what you need in the game, and it is much easier for the Union to load up and gain both then it is for the CSA

In a sense, true, but again, neither money or Iron will win you the game outright, if they did I wouldn't need camps to replace the troops I am losing in battle. :-)

The simple fact of the matter is, whether historical or not, the CSA starts with a decided advantage in horses, and thats before you do any adjustements.

At most, if you want to minimax Union horse production while still maintaining some Iron production, you can get 30-38 horse a turn, and still have a respectable Iron output.

The CSA can get 39 Iron and 54 Horse, which isn't bad, and still lets them build camps faster while maintaining a respectable Iron production. And given that with British and French "donations" and Blockade Runners they can get decent amounts of Iron, they can and sometimes do come ahead, especially early on...

So, they are building camps faster, replacing more soldiers sooner,.

Sounds about historically accurate to me....now wheres that irony key....

Thresh

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 404
RE: Wish List - 12/28/2006 4:48:23 AM   
General Quarters

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Quarters

Victory Points & National Will

I had barely started playing and was not aware of having lost any battles and my VP turned up -2. I probably just missed something. It would be nice if there were a place one could see a breakdown of how those VP and NW points were won or lost.

I have not focused on the National screen where there is such a list. Sorta. I would like it if one could go to something that told what battles, etc., had what VP result. Now that I think of it, that would be a nice feature of the battle reports on the Events Report -- if you told you that you just won or lost 1 VP.

Post #: 405
RE: Wish List - 12/28/2006 4:48:29 AM   
Hard Sarge

Hi Thresh

the point I was trying to make, you do not need to be taking more losses then the CSA is, you are banging your head against a wall, when you do not have to

and, I got to sort of disagree, money and Iron will win the game for you, once you spend it, if you going to go heavy into Seiges, you need Seige guns or gunboats, and the Guns need to be upgraded, and the buildings or or reseach you need to get to the good ones, are also easyier to get

but, again, that is based on my playstyle

(in reply to Thresh)
Post #: 406
RE: Wish List - 12/28/2006 7:12:26 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thresh
So, they are building camps faster, replacing more soldiers sooner. Sounds about historically accurate to me....now wheres that irony key....

Thresh

It may sound "accurate" to you..., but it's not reality. Jeff Davis was really worried by the Spring of 1862 as Confederate enlistments were way down. Bull Run had given a false sense of well-being to the situation and the South was facing a huge Union advantage in numbers. Lee and Jackson "earned" their reputations out-manuevering and side-stepping thie Union Mass in the East...., but in the West the numbers were beginning to tell as the South was simply unable to meet all the threats coming it's way.

(in reply to Thresh)
Post #: 407
RE: Wish List - 12/28/2006 7:16:38 AM   
chris0827

There should be a manpower cost to build a camp.

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 408
RE: Wish List - 12/28/2006 8:42:09 AM   
Thresh

If you can tell me a way to conduct a seige where I don't lose more troops than my opponent, I'd be glad for it.

Hell, if you could tell me why I have to take out three forts before I can seige Memphis, I'll be all over that as well.

Thresh

Post #: 409
RE: Wish List - 12/28/2006 8:43:14 AM   
Thresh

Which is why I was looking for the Irony key...that or a "rolling eyes" one....

Thresh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

So, they are building camps faster, replacing more soldiers sooner. Sounds about historically accurate to me....now wheres that irony key....

Thresh

It may sound "accurate" to you..., but it's not reality. Jeff Davis was really worried by the Spring of 1862 as Confederate enlistments were way down. Bull Run had given a false sense of well-being to the situation and the South was facing a huge Union advantage in numbers. Lee and Jackson "earned" their reputations out-manuevering and side-stepping thie Union Mass in the East...., but in the West the numbers were beginning to tell as the South was simply unable to meet all the threats coming it's way.

Post #: 410
RE: Wish List - 12/28/2006 11:03:13 AM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

If you can tell me a way to conduct a seige where I don't lose more troops than my opponent, I'd be glad for it.

Hell, if you could tell me why I have to take out three forts before I can seige Memphis, I'll be all over that as well.

Thresh

How many Eng's are you using ? , how many Seige Guns (and how strong are they) how many troops do you have, do you have any Gunboats ?

with 3 Forts, you only have to fight one at a time ?

and, if it is not a major need, why are you fighting the forts ?
(the other areas of Tenn are more importent, and then head on to Selma)

if there are no moble CSA troops around, place a Div in that province and move on, the Div will block the province for building troops and passing on it's goods to the south
(with the forts, you are not going to be able to plunder it, to take it out, but the troops in place will block it)

(in reply to Thresh)
Post #: 411
RE: Wish List - 12/28/2006 2:27:53 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

quote:

Thresh

How many Eng's are you using ? , how many Seige Guns (and how strong are they) how many troops do you have, do you have any Gunboats ? With 3 Forts, you only have to fight one at a time ?

I generally try to create a "Siege Train" Division of 2 13" Mortars and three Brigades with "Engineering" and "Artillery". Keep it on full supply and it will chew up forts fairly quickly

and, if it is not a major need, why are you fighting the forts ? (the other areas of Tenn are more importent, and then head on to Selma)

Gonna take a WAG that he's hoping to clear the Mississippi River for the Victory Condition. It's the only way to get the Game to "give you credit" for cutting the South in half... Do it anywhere else and you get "zippo".

if there are no moble CSA troops around, place a Div in that province and move on, the Div will block the province for building troops and passing on it's goods to the south (with the forts, you are not going to be able to plunder it, to take it out, but the troops in place will block it)

Isn't "plundering" supposed to have a "negative effect" on your score/morale/something? Thought I'd read that somewhere in the rules...

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 412
RE: Wish List - 12/28/2006 2:42:41 PM   
Sonny

I wish we could take the discussion elsewhere and leave this thread for wishes.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

Post #: 413
RE: Wish List - 12/28/2006 6:15:17 PM   
Thresh

Sonny,

I wish I could play this game as historically accurate as I can, and still get a reasonably accurate outcome.

Currently, thats not possible.

Thresh

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 414
RE: Wish List - 12/28/2006 6:17:35 PM   
General Quarters

On my game, clicking on "Play" on the opening screen does nothing. I tried several times to start the game to no success but my cursor happened to wander over the game name and turned into a little hand and I got in. Wish: Make "Play" open the game.

(in reply to Thresh)
Post #: 415
RE: Wish List - 12/28/2006 7:40:18 PM   
Sonny

quote:

Sonny,

I wish I could play this game as historically accurate as I can, and still get a reasonably accurate outcome.

Currently, thats not possible.

Thresh

Much better, You are getting the hang of it.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Thresh)
Post #: 416
RE: Wish List - 12/28/2006 9:31:17 PM   
Paper Tiger

Plundering can impact the national will, but only of the side plundered. Kill a mansion or a plantation and the owner takes a -1 hit to will, that in turn affects the quality of replacements which drags down the quality of the army.
Go on a plundering spree across Tenesee, if you can meet up with a couple of divisions doing the same from the seaward side, won't take long before CSA National Will is in the toilet and replacement morale for the CSA is dragging his elite units ever closer to the level of the Union forces.
Playing against the computer on a high level, avoid battle, get to Wheeling, Cincinatti and Cairo? first and pack them with low quality troops armed with a semi decent weapon, the computer is stupid, if you back off they will attempt a seige and lose huge quantities of troops. While they are doing it, just sit and tool up your relieving force, when you can't lose surround the beseigers with Union controlled provinces and then hit them and watch them surrender. While you are doing it send the rubbish off to loot and plunder your way around the unprotected cities of the south.
Easy win on Major so far

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 417
RE: Wish List - 12/28/2006 9:31:46 PM   
Paper Tiger

Oh and that is with Quick combat only.

Post #: 418
RE: Wish List - 12/29/2006 12:05:34 AM   
General Quarters

Plundering seems too powerful to me. In my game, Ky went rebel. The Union came in and plundered Louisville and then Frankfort and my National Will was in the tank. This doesn't seem historical either. The Union did not plunder and had no reason to plunder cities like Nashville, Memphis, or New Orleans and, if they had, it is unlikely it would have reduced the southern will to fight. Maybe this effect should be limited to a few cities, such as Atlanta and Richmond, where it might well have reduced Southern will.

Post #: 419
RE: Wish List - 12/29/2006 12:31:06 AM   
regularbird

Plundering should have an adverse affect to the plunderer as well.  Frank Hunter made it affect European relations which I thought was pretty cool.

Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Wish List Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI