Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

ASW Air Patrols

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> ASW Air Patrols Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ASW Air Patrols - 12/28/2006 6:41:45 PM   
alanschu

Hello,

I'm curious if there are any tricks to ASW patrols by the air. I rarely seem to get any attacks as the Allies, though the Japanese seem to be getting more. Maybe it's just because I have more subs in operation, but there's a couple off the cost of Brisbane that are being annoying, and I have a host of bombers flying ASW and they can't even seem to spot him. But if I send out an AK, he is just off the coast.

I set the altitude to around 3000 feet and go ASW 100%. Just bad luck and perhaps bad crew experience?
Post #: 1
RE: ASW Air Patrols - 12/28/2006 6:44:58 PM   
Sardaukar

Naval Search 100% 2000ft does the trick for me. ASW only with units that have exp over 70, same altitude.

(in reply to alanschu)
Post #: 2
RE: ASW Air Patrols - 12/28/2006 6:51:17 PM   
alanschu

Well, I'm hoping to try to drop some bombs on the guys, so would ASW patrols be more effective at actually dropping them rather than just detecting?

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 3
RE: ASW Air Patrols - 12/28/2006 6:58:47 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: alanschu

Well, I'm hoping to try to drop some bombs on the guys, so would ASW patrols be more effective at actually dropping them rather than just detecting?

Well, I think ASW mission attacks bit more often...but then range is halved..so it kinda cancels each other out... Someone said that ASW mission is better for preventing subs to make attacks, too.

(in reply to alanschu)
Post #: 4
RE: ASW Air Patrols - 12/28/2006 7:03:32 PM   
alanschu

Okay.  I'll go with some mixing and matching.  Unfortunately the best ASW ships I have in the area are minesweepers.  It's still April '42, but I can't wait for the DEs and SCs.  :)

Thanks again for your time. 

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 5
RE: ASW Air Patrols - 12/28/2006 7:05:45 PM   
Sardaukar

Check this too:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1335009

Sgt Swanson said in it that he had good success with ASW at 1000ft and Naval Search at 2000 ft.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 12/28/2006 7:15:40 PM >

(in reply to alanschu)
Post #: 6
RE: ASW Air Patrols - 12/29/2006 8:26:11 PM   
RUPD3658

As Japan I have been getting killed by Allied 4E bombers at 10,000 ft on Nav search. I can't get a barge or sub within range without it getting killed within 2-3 days. My opponant tells me they are high exp units.

My ASW has not been as effective although I spot and attack subs every turn. I have only sunk 2 with AC and we are in July 43. I have lost about 12-15 to Allied AC.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 7
RE: ASW Air Patrols - 12/29/2006 9:27:01 PM   
Florian Geyer

If you use your planes right,you had a lot of success.I am in 10/43 and had sunk 66 US subs by plane,but only 8 by DD or PC and 7 are scuttled.
On every base around Formosa I had a team of 1xKi-46 Dinah(RC)unit and 1xKi-21 Sally unit.
The Dinah runs on 100% Naval Search,the Ki-21 Sally on 100% ASW.In my
opinion the altitude isn't very important.More important are Exp. and the number of planes in a unit.
As Japan your supply lines are vital,so do everything to keep them alive.

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 8
RE: ASW Air Patrols - 12/29/2006 11:08:26 PM   
Nemo121

Hmm, I'd add one wrinkle to that strategy... Instead of just running a lot of flights from a lot of different bases run very few from most bases and then concentrate your forces around one large base the enemy is blockading closely. I have done this with forces of up to 200 bombers at a time and manage to sink 2 to 3 subs over the course of 2 to 3 days each time I do this.

Why is this superior? Well, once a sub is hit it is pretty much guaranteed to be killed over the next couple of days. By standing down at the end of the 2 or 3 days your opponent can never know where the " ASW Death Star" will show up and will be forced to keep his subs well away from any of your sizable ports/airbases. One other truth is that people always try to push their luck and over time you can continue shifting the ASW Death Star around and count on finding subs creeping in closer and closer again until another massacre results.

With this strategy I wouldn't find any difficulty in killing 3 or more subs per month if they loiter near my bases. If they just try to hang out in the shipping lanes far from any ports their effectiveness is massively reduced and the occasional sweep by CVEs, CVLs and CSs should clean up nicely.

So rather than just catching occasional subs all over the map try to get 3 or 4 subs at a particular base once a fortnight. You get more kills and have more psychological effect on your opponent. YMMV of course.

(in reply to Florian Geyer)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> ASW Air Patrols Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI