Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 12/29/2006 11:07:12 PM   
Gil R.

Bountyhunter,
Did I ever respond to your request for five more? I might have private-messaged them. If not, sorry about that -- it's easy to get confused with this project.

(in reply to bountyhunter)
Post #: 91
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 12/29/2006 11:27:29 PM   
bountyhunter

You did, but I'll take more.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 92
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 12/30/2006 12:17:31 AM   
Gil R.

Well, here are the next five in the list. You're also welcome to do some of the bigger names (as is everyone else involved in the project).

Brown,_E.B.
Brown,_J.C.
Browne,_W.M.
Bryan,_G.
Buchanan,_R.C.

By the way, the format above of LASTNAME_INITIALS is used in assignments because I'm copying straight from the commanders.txt file, but bios should always have RANK FULLNAME. You've been providing their names and ranks in the text of your bios, but it would be helpful if you would do so at the beginning of each, instead of using this LASTNAME_INITIALS format. Thanks.

(in reply to bountyhunter)
Post #: 93
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 12/30/2006 12:21:27 AM   
Gil R.

And also, and this is a small thing (but every bit helps), please use the official style of years of birth and death, e.g. "(b. 1805, d. 1877)" rather than "(1805-1877)." Just one less thing I need to change. Thanks!

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 94
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 12/30/2006 1:05:35 AM   
Gil R.

And one last request (which applies to everyone): when possible, please include the date of promotions, especially to brig. gen. or higher. This will save me a lot of time as I try to make the generals' start dates in the game more historically accurate. Thanks!

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 95
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 1/2/2007 1:24:46 AM   
Bozo

This seems like a good project.  Please sign me up and give me some Generals to check out.  The better the game ratings, the better the game will be.

Bozo The Clown

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 96
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 1/3/2007 12:28:46 AM   

I'm a living history volunteer at Manassas Battlefield and offer my services. If we can deviate from the alphbetical list I'd like to do generals involved in the 2nd Manassas campaign; Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Ricketts, Taliaferro, Lawton, etc.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bozo)
Post #: 97
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 1/4/2007 7:17:45 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: avatar36

I'm a living history volunteer at Manassas Battlefield and offer my services. If we can deviate from the alphbetical list I'd like to do generals involved in the 2nd Manassas campaign; Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Ricketts, Taliaferro, Lawton, etc.

That sounds great! Welcome aboard. Why don't you start with those guys, and then move on to the "etc." after I've given you feedback on the first batch.

(in reply to avatar36)
Post #: 98
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 1/4/2007 7:18:49 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bozo

This seems like a good project. Please sign me up and give me some Generals to check out. The better the game ratings, the better the game will be.

Excellent, thanks for signing on. Why don't you start with these five and see how it goes?

Buckingham,_C.P.
Buckland,_R.P.
Buckner,_S.B.
Buford,_A.
Buford,_N.B.

(in reply to Bozo)
Post #: 99
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 1/4/2007 7:22:16 PM   
Gil R.

Hotdog433,
If interested in the project, why don't you start with these guys?

Bullock,_R.
Burbridge,_S.G.
Burnham,_H.
Burns,_W.W.
Bussey,_C.

(Or, if you've changed your mind, please let me know.)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 100
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 1/13/2007 3:22:16 AM   
Gil R.

FYI, someone over at the American Civil War Gaming Club recommended consulting “Glory in Grey,” a series of four books which have short bios of 425 CSA generals. He says the set can be purchased for $60+$10postage from http://www.bibleschool.edu/bibleBookstore/index.html

If you want to see a sample entry, he (forum name: eireb) quotes the one on Sibley. The thread is at: http://www.wargame.ch/board/acw/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10197&whichpage=1

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 101
RE: Generals Bios Project - 2/12/2007 5:24:34 PM   
Mike13z50

I am willing to help out, I'm a librarian at a very old southern school with good biographical references for Civil War generals.  I should be able to find even the most obscure.  Send me a list of names.

I assume you can contact me via email?

Excellent game btw.
mike13z50

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 102
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 2/21/2007 6:54:30 PM   
jkBluesman

How is the project going? Are their any CSA-Generals left to do such as Edward Porter Alexander or Patrick Cleburne? And what about US-General Carl Schurz?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 103
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 2/21/2007 9:02:33 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jkBluesman

How is the project going? Are their any CSA-Generals left to do such as Edward Porter Alexander or Patrick Cleburne? And what about US-General Carl Schurz?

Porter was done by Missouri Rebel (you can find the thread by setting the forum to show threads older than 30 days), but Cleburne and Schurz are both out there (as are about 800 other guys...). Would you be interested in taking a stab at them?

As for how the project is coming, I have now edited and put into the spreadsheet around 100 generals, and still have about 30-40 that I haven't gotten to yet. So we're on a pace to finish sometime in 2008, though if more people volunteer we could finish sooner. But we've certainly made excellent progress so far.

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 2/21/2007 9:18:51 PM >

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 104
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 2/22/2007 2:25:06 PM   
jkBluesman

I'll take Schurz and Cleburne, thanks.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 105
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 2/22/2007 7:12:55 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jkBluesman

I'll take Schurz and Cleburne, thanks.

Great! Go for it. Just remember that the maximum is 3900 char., and try to emulate the format used by others (e.g., providing full names of all officers and politicians who are named). As you've seen, it's important to get basic biographical details in as well as what the general did during the war, but if you've got any colorful anecdotes or quotes those would be great too.

Also, there's never a deadline for bios, but if you take more than a week they might have to wait for the next patch. (Note to forum: that is not a promise that the patch will be out next week, since I'm out of the promises business, but rather a statement based on the fact that I might not have time to get to the bios after that.)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 2/22/2007 7:28:44 PM >

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 106
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 3/4/2007 6:55:15 AM   
shenandoah

Are there any more generals that need to be done?  CSA, Turner Ashby, any?  USA, any?  I am willing to take on a set if you need some help.

shenandoah

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 107
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 3/4/2007 7:17:57 AM   
Gil R.

Ashby would be great, in fact. He was assigned to someone very early on, but that person ended up writing a very short paragraph, and Ashby deserves much more attention. Since the original biographer never responded to my request for a longer version, I hereby reassign him. So, why don't you start with Ashby, but also tell me what other preferences you might have? Thanks, and welcome aboard!

(in reply to shenandoah)
Post #: 108
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 3/4/2007 11:10:49 PM   
tdean001

Gil-
I am totally excited about this project...  I would love to contribute.  Give me some generals!

Thanks,
Tom

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 109
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 3/4/2007 11:37:50 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: tdean001

Gil-
I am totally excited about this project... I would love to contribute. Give me some generals!

Thanks,
Tom

Great! Any preferences, or should I just do the usual thing and start you off with the next guys on the list?

(in reply to tdean001)
Post #: 110
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 3/5/2007 2:41:59 AM   
tdean001

Gil-
Just add me onto the end of the list. I'll take whomever you've got.

Tom

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 111
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 3/5/2007 2:50:15 AM   
Gil R.

Okay, how about Fremont, McCulloch, Huger and two 9-percenters, H.D. Clayton and T.I. Clingman? (The first three are 100-percenters in the July scenario, so it would be good to get bios done for them.)

Thanks!

(in reply to tdean001)
Post #: 112
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 3/5/2007 6:38:03 PM   
tdean001

Gil-
Did you mean Ben McCulloch or his brother Henry? I could do both, if you want.

Tom

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 113
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 3/5/2007 7:31:38 PM   
Gil R.

Ben. Was Henry a general? We don't have him in the database.

(in reply to tdean001)
Post #: 114
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 3/5/2007 8:01:38 PM   
tdean001

Gil-
Yeah, he was a brig. general for the Confederacy. Sounded like a pretty good one, too. I'll take care of his brother, too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_McCulloch
http://www.civilwarhome.com/mccullockwilsoncreek.htm

Tom

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 115
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 3/23/2007 5:17:45 PM   
Bombsight

Hey tdean,
Henry McCullough was a general of Texas State Troops only. Check out Dr. Ralph Wooster's book of Texas Generals in Grey. I will do a bio on that great defender of states' rights, Camille de Polignac (aka Polecat) who commanded a Texas Brigade in the Trans-Mississippi Dept.

< Message edited by Whit -- 3/23/2007 5:20:47 PM >

Tactics II

(in reply to tdean001)
Post #: 116
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 3/23/2007 6:36:00 PM   
Gil R.

Whit,

Battleline already wrote a bio of "Polecat," which I'll paste below. Feel free to make any suggestions on how it might be improved. There are still plenty of generals who haven't had bios done yet, so please let me know if you'd be interested in working on others.

Maj. Gen. Camille A.J.M.,P.d. Polignac, CSA (b. 1832, d. 1913) One could write an entire book on the adventures of Camille Armand Jules Marie, Prince de Polignac (of which much would be the full name). Polignac was born in Millemont, Seine-et-Oise, France, Feb. 16, 1832. He was the son of King Charles X’s president of the council of ministers and an English mother. He received education at the College of Stanislaus in Paris and joined the 3rd Regiment of Chasseurs in 1853. In the Crimea, he served with the 4th Hussars as a lieutenant. He later transferred to the 4th Chasseurs before being discharged in 1859. At the start of the Civil War, Polignac was in Central America. He immediately offered his services to the Confederacy and was commissioned as a lieutenant colonel July 16, 1861. In 1862, he was on the staffs of Generals Beauregard and Bragg. Polignac was promoted to brigadier general Jan. 10, 1863, and later to major general April 8, 1864. Much of his service as a general came in Gen. Richard Taylor’s army in Louisiana. He fought with distinction at the battles of Mansfield, Pleasant Hill and in other battles during the Red River Campaign. Near the end of the war, the Confederate government sent Polignac to France to try to seek intervention from Napoleon III’s government. He ran the blockade March 17, 1865, and arrived in Spain shortly before the end of the war. After the war, he studied mathematics and political economy, but came out of military retirement to lead the French 1st Division during the Franco-Prussian War. Awarded the Legion of Honor, Polignac returned to the study of mathematics and developed a reputation in the field prior to his death in Paris Nov. 15, 1913. He was the last Confederate major general to die. He was buried in Frankfort-on-Main, Germany.

(in reply to Bombsight)
Post #: 117
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 3/23/2007 6:50:50 PM   
jkBluesman

Strange to see the French name for Frankfurt in an English bio.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 118
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 3/24/2007 12:47:38 AM   
Bombsight

Gil,
Good standard write up. Allow me to add some color. My great grandfather was in the 17th Consolidated Texas cavalry and stepped off behind Gen Mouton and Gen Polignac at the Battle of Mansfield. Mouton was killed in the charge and Polignac moved up to command the division. Mouton's division suffered about 40% casualties (heavier in Grey's Louisiana brigade) in the attack. One Federal Division was pretty well wrecked and two artillery batteries were captured (2nd Rhode Island and the Chicago Mercantile Batteries). The federals were driven in confusion from the field when Walker's Texas Division rolled up the flank. This battle marked the high point of Banks' Red River Campaign. After this point, Banks was in retreat followed closely by Taylor's Army. Polignac earned a lot of praise with his conduct under fire.
Since then, every first born male Polignac child has been named "Mansfield".

< Message edited by Whit -- 3/24/2007 12:48:38 AM >

Tactics II

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 119
RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) - 3/25/2007 9:58:12 PM   
Gil R.

Whit, thank you for that information. As you'll see in the thread that has Polignac's bio, I incorporated a good chunk of it.

(in reply to Bombsight)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> RE: Generals Bios Project (yes, it's time) (finally) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI