Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York - 12/7/2006 11:09:21 PM   
Battleline

Ezra J. Warner’s Generals in Gray is an excellent bio source for Confederate generals. There’s even a section on the provisional generals of the Trans-Mississippi Department who did not receive the presidential appointment.

Felix K. Zollicoffer, CSA (b. 1812 d. 1862) Born in Maury County, Tenn., Zollicoffer worked for a newspaper in Paris, Tenn., at the age of 16. First military action came during the Seminole uprising of 1836, serving as a lieutenant of volunteers. Returning, he advanced in the fields of journalism and politics. He served as adjutant general and state comptroller of Tennessee (1845-49) and state senator (1849-52). Elected to Congress in 1852 while helping the Tennessee presidential campaign of Gen. Winfield Scott. Served three terms in the House of Representatives and declined to run in 1860. Supported the Bell-Everett ticket in the 1860 election. Commissioned as a brigadier general in the Provisional Confederate States Army July 9, 1861. Assigned to the eastern part of Tennessee, which had strong Union sentiment. Moved his unit to the Kentucky side of the Cumberland River before his immediate superior, Gen. George B. Crittenden, arrived. Crittenden’s Confederates were forced to face Federal forces of George H. Thomas with their backs to the river. In the Battle of Mill Springs (Fishing Creek), Zollicoffer was killed by a Union volley after he accidentally rode into the Union lines. Sources (Generals in Gray) cite that his political prowess was much better than his military strategy.

William H. Young, CSA (b. 1838 d. 1901) Born in Boonville, Mo., Young’s family moved to Texas while he was an infant. Attended Washington College in Tennessee, McKenzie College, Texas, and the University of Virginia. Back in Texas, recruited a company for service in the Confederate army and was elected captain. His unit was incorporated into the Ninth Texas Infantry Regiment, which was bloodied at the Battle of Shiloh. He subsequently fought in the battles of Perryville, Murfreesboro (Stone River), Vicksburg Campaign and Chickamauga. He was wounded at Murfreesboro, Vicksburg and Chickamauga. In the Atlanta Campaign, Ninth Texas was assigned to the brigade of M.D. Ector. At Kennesaw Mountain, Young was twice wounded, but stayed in charge and was elevated to brigadier general when Ector was incapacitated. His promotion was effective Aug. 15, 1864. During the Confederate move back into Tennessee, Young was seriously wounded in his left foot (the wound alone nearly severed the foot) attacking a Union fort at Allatoona, Ga., and he was captured. Imprisoned at Johnson’s Island, Ohio, Young was released July 24, 1865. After the war, he was a lawyer and real estate operator in San Antonio, Texas, until his death.

Pierce M.B. Young, CSA (b. 1836 d. 1896) Born in Spartanburg, S.C., Young’s family moved when he was a boy to Bartow County, Ga. Initial military training took place at the Georgia Military Institute. He was appointed to West Point in 1857, but resigned from the U.S. Military Academy a few months before graduation when Georgia seceded. Joining Cobb’s Legion, Young rapidly rose to lieutenant colonel in cavalry. Commissioned colonel Nov. 1, 1862. Cited for “remarkable gallantry” during the Maryland Campaign while attached to Wade Hampton’s brigade in Stuart’s Cavalry Corps. Promoted to brigadier general Sept. 28, 1863. Commanded a Hampton’s former division during part of 1864 before being sent to Augusta, Ga., to recruit and organize the city’s defenses. Received temporary promotion to major general Dec. 30, 1864, and harassed Sherman’s advance through the Carolinas. After the war, Young became politically active and served five terms (or parts of terms) in Congress as a Democrat. He was thrice a delegate to Democrat national conventions. He held several consular posts from both Democrat and Republican administrations. Died July 6, 1896 in New York and is buried near his old plantation in Georgia.

Zebulon York, CSA (b. 1819 d. 1900) Born in Avon, Maine, York attended Wesleyan Seminary (Kent’s Hill, Maine), Transylvania University (Kentucky) and the University of Louisiana (now Tulane), graduating with a law degree. He made his home in Vidalia, La., becoming a prominent attorney and cotton planter. At the outbreak of the Civil War, York and his partner were reported to own six plantations with 1,700 slaves and an annual production of 4,500 bales of cotton. Organized a company of infantry which was incorporated into the 14th Louisiana Regiment. He was elected major, lieutenant colonel and colonel. Fought in the Peninsular and Seven Days campaigns. Then fought at Second Manassas, Maryland Campaign and Fredericksburg. Returned to Louisiana on a recruiting assignment and missed Chancellorsville, but was at the Battle of Gettysburg. He was promoted to brigadier general May 31, 1864, with what was left of what had been the brigades of Hays and Stafford. His unit participated in Early’s Valley Campaign. While leading his unit in the Third Battle of Winchester, Sept. 19, 1864, he was hit in his left arm badly enough that it had to be amputated. After his recovery, he recruited for his brigade among foreign-born prisoners of war. The war financially ruined York, but he recovered and later ran the York House in Natchez, Miss., where he died Aug. 5, 1900.

Post #: 1
RE: CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York - 12/8/2006 3:53:46 AM   
Gil R.

Thanks! I'll try to go over these soon.

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 2
RE: CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York - 12/8/2006 3:59:54 AM   
Gil R.

Wait a second... I have no record of assigning these or the ones in the other thread. Am I disorganized, or are you showing initiative?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
RE: CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York - 12/8/2006 5:04:28 AM   
Battleline

Gil,
Just trying some initiative!
Figured I wouldn't step on anyone's assignments if I started from the back end. I picked up Generals in Gray Wednesday and had some extra time while waiting for calls to be returned. I would recommend Generals in Gray and Generals in Blue, both by Ezra J. Warner, for people undertaking this project.
Thanks,
Battleline

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 4
RE: CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York - 12/8/2006 5:24:22 AM   
Gil R.

Okay, it worked out well. Let me know when you're ready for another batch.

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 5
RE: CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York - 12/8/2006 5:31:14 AM   
Battleline

Gil,
I'll have Generals in Gray with me again tomorrow. Henry Alexander Wise is the first one on my list if things bog down again.
Battleline

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York - 12/8/2006 7:03:13 AM   
Gil R.

Okay, well he's not taken yet.

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 7
RE: CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York - 12/15/2006 9:25:01 PM   
Battleline

Updated Zollicoffer bio-added some information to lengthen it. Long bio for a man with a short combat career!

Felix K. Zollicoffer, CSA (b. 1812 d. 1862) Born in Maury County, Tenn., Felix Kirk Zollicoffer worked for a newspaper in Paris, Tenn., at the age of 16. First military action came during the Seminole uprising of 1836, serving as a lieutenant of volunteers. Returning, he advanced in the fields of journalism and politics. He served as adjutant general and state comptroller of Tennessee (1845-49) and state senator (1849-52). Elected to Congress in 1852 while helping the Tennessee presidential campaign of Gen. Winfield Scott. Served three terms in the House of Representatives and declined to run in 1860. Supported the Bell-Everett ticket in the 1860 election. Attended the Washington, D.C. Peace Conference in 1861. Originally commanding Tennessee State Troops, he was commissioned as a brigadier general in the Provisional Confederate States Army July 9, 1861. His first assignment was as commander of the District of East Tennessee, Department No. 2, in Cumberland Gap area of Tennessee and Kentucky. His assignment was to “preserve peace, protect the railroad, and repel invasion.” Later, he was assigned the First Brigade in Brig. Gen. George B. Crittenden’s army. He misinterpreted orders from Gen. A.S. Johnston, moving his unit to the Kentucky side of the unfordable Cumberland River before Crittenden, arrived. Crittenden’s Confederates were forced to face the numerically superior advancing Federal forces of George H. Thomas with their backs to the river. In the Battle of Mill Springs (Fishing Creek). Zollicoffer advanced with the 19th Tennessee when he ordered troops to cease firing. Unfortunately, these were Union troops. Accounts state the officer was Col. Speed Fry of the Fourth Kentucky. Zollicoffer mistook the Union man for one of his own officers and approached to give an order. Just as the mistake was realized, Zollicoffer was killed by a Union volley. Sources (Generals in Gray) cite that his political prowess was much better than his military strategy. Zollicoffer’s death, along with rain which rendered flintlock muskets unusable, helped to lead to a Union victory. The Confederates were forced to retreat, leaving artillery, ammunition, wagons, horses and stores. Zollicoffer was buried in City Cemetery in Nashville.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 8
RE: CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York - 12/30/2006 2:52:30 AM   
Gil R.

Okay, I have edited Zollicoffer, and based on this bio have lowered his ratings. I wish I could remember why we decided to make him a 25-percenter...

Felix Kirk Zollicoffer, CSA (b. 1812, d. 1862). Born in Maury County, Tennessee, Zollicoffer worked for a newspaper in Paris, Tenn., beginning at the age of 16. His first military action came during the Seminole uprising of 1836, when he was serving as a lieutenant of volunteers. Returning home, he advanced in the fields of journalism and politics. He served as adjutant general and state comptroller of Tennessee (1845-49) and state senator (1849-52), subsequently being elected to Congress in 1852 while helping the Tennessee presidential campaign of Gen. Winfield Scott. Having served three terms in the House of Representatives, he declined to run in 1860. That year he supported the Bell-Everett ticket of the Constitutional Union party in the 1860 election. The following year, Zollicoffer attended the Washington, D.C. Peace Conference, which failed to prevent the outbreak of civil war. Originally commanding Tennessee State Troops, he was commissioned as a Brigadier General in the Provisional Confederate States Army on July 9, 1861. His first assignment was as commander of the District of East Tennessee, Department No. 2, in Cumberland Gap area of Tennessee and Kentucky. His assignment there was to “preserve peace, protect the railroad, and repel invasion.” Later, he was assigned the First Brigade in Brig. Gen. George B. Crittenden’s army, and during this command made a critical error when he misinterpreted orders from Gen. Albert S. Johnston and moved his unit to the Kentucky side of the unfordable Cumberland River before Crittenden arrived. Crittenden’s Confederates were forced to face the numerically superior advancing Federal forces of Gen. George H. Thomas with their backs to the river. Which battle would this have been (in the previous sentence)? Is it Mill Springs, which you go on to describe in the next sentence? The way this was written it’s unclear, so I want to make sure I’m not introducing an error. Late in the Battle of Mill Springs (Fishing Creek), Zollicoffer became confused, and ordered troops he had approached to cease firing. Unfortunately for him, these were Union troops, under Col. Speed S. Fry. Just as his mistake – perhaps caused by nearsightedness and growing darkness – was realized, Zollicoffer was killed by a Union volley, though some attributed Zollicoffer’s death to Fry himself. Zollicoffer’s death, along with rain which rendered flintlock muskets unusable, helped to lead to a Union victory. The Confederates were forced to retreat, leaving artillery, ammunition, wagons, horses and stores. Zollicoffer, remembered more for his political prowess than his military abilities, was buried in City Cemetery in Nashville.

Start date: 12

Leadership: 4
Tactics: 4
Initiative: 4
Command: 3
Cavalry:

Teaches: Random (-1)

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 9
RE: CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York - 12/30/2006 3:04:49 AM   
Battleline

Gil,
Yes, that is the battle of Mill Springs (Fishing Creek). Mill Springs is the Confederate name for the battle while the Union used Fishing Creek.

Zollicoffer's reputation must have gone well beyond his own troops. Doing some other reading, I found that Company A of the 45 Regiment of North Carolina Troops (Rodes' Division, Daniel's Brigade at Gettysburg) was named the Rockingham Zollicoffers!
The Osprey Military Order of Battle Series has a lot of those fun facts, such as the company names. Unfortunately, I only have one volume (Gettysburg, 1 July 1863, Confederate: The Army of Northern Virginia) in my hands.
If you need some names for legendary units, I should be able to give you some out of these units, such as the Raccoon Roughs, the unit John B. Gordon first belonged to when he joined the Confederacy.
Thanks,
Battleline

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 10
RE: CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York - 12/30/2006 3:18:18 AM   
Gil R.

Okay, I added the word "ensuing" ("Late in the ensuing Battle of Mill Springs...") to make it clear that this was all one event. Also, I forgot to note before that I added some details to the account of Zollicoffer's death, since that's a particularly interesting episode.

"Rockingham Zollicoffers" strikes me as one of the dumber names I've heard, though I guess this reflects outrage over his death, just like "Elsworth's Avengers" up north.

I've been wanting to add more legendary units (though, to be honest, the time I'd use for that is spent on bios and the forum), so if you have some especially interesting names please send me a list of a few. My priority will be to add famous units that are currently missing, but I definitely want to get in some more with colorful names, even if they did nothing special during the war.

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 11
RE: CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York - 12/30/2006 3:52:02 AM   
bountyhunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Battleline

Ezra J. Warner’s Generals in Gray is an excellent bio source for Confederate generals. There’s even a section on the provisional generals of the Trans-Mississippi Department who did not receive the presidential appointment.

I agree with you, I picked up a copy a few days ago, however I have found that Ezra tends to focus on pre and post war activities. I stumbled across Who was Who in the Civil War by Stewart Sifakis in a small town bookstore and he seems to focus more on wartime gives dates of all promotions and in most cases when and where each officer commanded but doesn't go into as much detail on the pre and post war stuff. Between the two I have been able to round out the bios pretty well I think. Jefferson Davis and His Generals has good info on the bigger names.

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 12
RE: CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York - 12/30/2006 5:07:50 AM   
Battleline

quote:

ORIGINAL: bountyhunter
I agree with you, I picked up a copy a few days ago, however I have found that Ezra tends to focus on pre and post war activities. I stumbled across Who was Who in the Civil War by Stewart Sifakis in a small town bookstore and he seems to focus more on wartime gives dates of all promotions and in most cases when and where each officer commanded but doesn't go into as much detail on the pre and post war stuff. Between the two I have been able to round out the bios pretty well I think. Jefferson Davis and His Generals has good info on the bigger names.

Thanks,
I'll look that one up when I get out this weekend. Hopefully I can find a copy!
Battleline

(in reply to bountyhunter)
Post #: 13
RE: CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York - 2/9/2007 7:06:00 PM   
Gil R.

I thought you'd all like to see how the bios will look, now that they've been implemented. Here's Zollicoffer.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 14
RE: CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York - 2/11/2007 2:00:43 AM   
General Quarters

If you have the space, I always find it easier to read and more pleasant if large blocks of texts are broken up into two or three paragraphs.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 15
RE: CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York - 2/11/2007 2:57:34 AM   
Gil R.

It can't be done for programming reasons, unfortunately. I agree that it's a pain. Fortunately, most bios aren't this long.

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 16
RE: CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York - 4/17/2007 12:24:54 AM   
Gil R.

Here's Young.

Brig. Gen. William Hugh Young (b. 1838, d. 1901). Born in Booneville, Missouri on New Year’s Day of 1838, Young moved with his family to Texas while he was an infant. He attended Washington College in Tennessee, McKenzie College in Texas, and the University of Virginia. Back in Texas, he recruited a company for service in the Confederate Army and was elected a captain. His unit was incorporated into the 9th Texas Infantry, which was bloodied at the Battle of Shiloh on April 6-7, 1862. Having been promoted to regimental command, Young subsequently led his men in the battles of Perryville, Murfreesboro (Stone River), the Vicksburg Campaign and at Chickamauga, and was wounded in the latter three engagements. Young demonstrated personal courage at the Battle of Jackson on May 14, 1863, when, according to the official report, he seized the regimental colors and led his men on a “gallant” charge. During the Atlanta Campaign, the 9th Texas was assigned to the brigade of Gen. Matthew D. Ector. At the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain on June 27, 1864, Young was twice wounded, but stayed in command of his men. He subsequently received a promotion to brigadier general when Ector was incapacitated during fighting near Atlanta a month later, to rank from August 15, 1864. During the Confederate move back into Tennessee under Gen. John B. Hood, Young was seriously wounded in his left foot, which was nearly severed, while attacking a Union fort at Allatoona, Georgia, and was captured. Imprisoned at Johnson’s Island, Ohio, Young was released after the war, on July 24, 1865. Returning to Texas, he worked a lawyer and real estate operator in San Antonio, Texas, until his death on November 28, 1901. (Bio by Bill Battle)

Leadership: 5
Tactics: 3
Initiative: 3
Command: 4
Cavalry:

Start date: 87

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 17
RE: CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York - 4/17/2007 12:57:41 AM   
Gil R.

And here's the other Young:

Maj. Gen. Pierce Manning Butler Young (b. 1836, d. 1896). Born in Spartanburg, South Carolina, Young’s family moved to Bartow County, Georgia when he was a boy. His initial military training took place at the Georgia Military Institute, and he was appointed to West Point in 1857, but resigned from the U.S. Military Academy two months before graduation when Georgia seceded. After initially serving as a 2nd lieutenant of the 1st Georgia Infantry and then serving on the staff of Gen. Braxton Bragg at Pensacola, in July Young joined Cobb’s Legion, the integrated force of Georgian infantry, cavalry and artillery raised by Col. (later Brig. Gen.) Thomas R.R. Cobb in the summer of 1861. Young rapidly rose to lieutenant colonel in cavalry by November. In 1862, Cobb’s Legion’s cavalry was assigned to Gen. Wade Hampton’s brigade of Gen. J.E.B. Stuart’s cavalry division in the Army of Northern Virginia, and Young, who would be commissioned colonel on November 1, 1862, was cited by Stuart for “remarkable gallantry” during the Maryland Campaign that year. The following year, having performed brilliantly in the Battle of Brandy Station on June 9 and participated in the Gettysburg Campaign, Young was promoted to brigadier general, on September 28, 1863, and put in command of Hampton’s former brigade, with which he achieved great successes in the Bristoe and Mine Run Campaigns of the next two months. In 1864, Young played an important role in the Wilderness Campaign, and temporarily assumed command of Hampton’s division after Stuart’s death in the Battle of Yellow Tavern on May 11. That November, Young was sent to Augusta, Georgia, to recruit and organize the city’s defenses in anticipation of the arrival of Gen. William T. Sherman’s army. Young received a temporary promotion to major general on December 30, 1864, and harassed Sherman’s advance through the Carolinas for the final months of the war. After the war, Young became politically active and served five terms (or parts of terms) in Congress as a Democrat. He was thrice a delegate to Democrat national conventions, and also held several consular posts in both Democratic and Republican administrations. Young died on July 6, 1896 in New York and is buried near his old plantation in Georgia. (Bio by Bill Battle)

Leadership: 5
Initiative: 5
Command: 4
Cavalry: 6

Start date: 65

Teaches: Oblique Fire (6), Fast (4)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 18
RE: CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York - 4/17/2007 1:16:29 AM   
Gil R.

And finally, York:

Brig. Gen. Zebulon York (b. 1819, d. 1900). Born in Avon, Maine, York was one of a small number of northern-born Confederate generals. He attended Wesleyan Seminary (Kent’s Hill, Maine), Transylvania University (Kentucky) and the University of Louisiana (now Tulane), graduating with a law degree. He made his home in Vidalia, Louisiana, becoming a prominent attorney and cotton planter. In early 1861, York and his partner were reported to own six plantations with 1,700 slaves and an annual production of 4,500 bales of cotton. When the Civil War began, York organized a company of infantry which was incorporated into the 14th Louisiana Infantry. York rose in rank, being elected major, lieutenant colonel and colonel. He fought in the Peninsular and Seven Days campaigns of early 1862, and later that year saw action at Second Bull Run, in the Maryland Campaign and at Fredericksburg. He subsequently returned to Louisiana on a recruiting assignment and missed the Battle of Chancellorsville in spring of 1863, but was present for the Battle of Gettysburg later that summer. York was promoted to brigadier general on May 31, 1864, and put in command of what was left of the brigades of Gen. Harry T. Hays and Gen. Leroy A. Stafford. York’s unit participated in Gen Jubal A. Early’s Valley Campaign later that year, including the attempted raid on Washington, D.C. While leading his unit in the Third Battle of Winchester on September 19, York was hit in his left arm badly enough that it had to be amputated. After his recovery, he recruited for his brigade among foreign-born prisoners of war, but no longer served on the front lines. The war financially ruined York, whose plantations had been destroyed, but he recovered and later ran the York House, a fine hotel, in Natchez, Mississippi, as well as a steamboat operation on the Mississippi River. York died in Natchez on August 5, 1900. (Bio by Bill Battle)

Leadership: 3
Initiative: 4
Command: 3
Cavalry:

Start date: 81

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> CSA Bios: Zollicoffer, WH Young, PMB Young, York Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI