Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Korsun Pocket?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Korsun Pocket? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Korsun Pocket? - 12/30/2006 7:54:01 AM   
Doant1946

Hi
I ordered Korsun Pocket on impulse.I'm not a very experienced war gamer but I wanted something besides all the RTS stuff out there...I know it's late to ask but any opinions on the game?

Tom
Post #: 1
RE: Korsun Pocket? - 12/30/2006 11:49:13 AM   
Andy_PZ

Hi Tom, it is a great game but make sure you play through the tutorial with the manual on your desk as the lessons are described inside it . I did all 8 lessons twice as I was new to these "thinking" Wargames too, Planning and Supplying a major breakout is much more rewarding than a tankrush anyday! persevere it is worth it and beats RTS every time. However I still play CoH and Medieval 2 for light relief and some fun from time to time.

You can't say that civilization doesn't advance...for in every War they kill you in a new way.

(in reply to Doant1946)
Post #: 2
RE: Korsun Pocket? - 12/30/2006 12:36:42 PM   
ravinhood

I'm just wondering why you didn't get TOAW III instead, you would have gotten lots more scenarios of different battles and a slew of mods later on. The learning curve would have been about the same. To me TOAW series is the best of the bunch for variety of battles. Now if we could just get them to upgrade "Age of Rifles" for XP, we'd have it all. ;)

(in reply to Andy_PZ)
Post #: 3
RE: Korsun Pocket? - 12/30/2006 1:21:40 PM   
JSS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gorland

Hi
I ordered Korsun Pocket on impulse.I'm not a very experienced war gamer but I wanted something besides all the RTS stuff out there...I know it's late to ask but any opinions on the game?

Tom

You made a great choice. Superb game. Relatively easy to learn, pretty challenging to master.

If you have questions about game play post in the KP forum here or at Run5 *Link*

(in reply to Doant1946)
Post #: 4
RE: Korsun Pocket? - 12/30/2006 3:58:18 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

I'm just wondering why you didn't get TOAW III instead

Becouse...

quote:

I ordered Korsun Pocket on impulse.

It would had been best if he would had asked about game BEFORE buying it, and checked out demos of various games (if available).

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 5
RE: Korsun Pocket? - 12/30/2006 8:08:36 PM   
Doant1946

just arrived..thanks
I considered TOAW3 but the price and the reviews eliminated it from consideration..lol

< Message edited by Gorland -- 12/30/2006 8:26:20 PM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 6
RE: Korsun Pocket? - 12/30/2006 10:31:18 PM   
Hertston

quote:

I considered TOAW3 but the price and the reviews eliminated it from consideration..lol

The reviews did? From who?!

I don't necessarily agree that TAOW 3 is the better choice, I happen to prefer the SSG game mechanics, but TAOW 3 is undoubtably the most versatile and one of the best operational scale games out there.

(in reply to Doant1946)
Post #: 7
RE: Korsun Pocket? - 12/30/2006 11:59:23 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

The reviews did? From who?!

I don't necessarily agree that TOAW 3 is the better choice, I happen to prefer the SSG game mechanics, but TAOW 3 is undoubtably the most versatile and one of the best operational scale games out there.

Bad Reviews on TOAW 3?

No Way! It's definitely one of the biggest bargains out there when you consider the vast numbers of scenarios available for every conceivable era (including fantasy alternatives). KP is flashier to look out though and is a good game in it's own right. You may want to consider adding Across the Dnepr to KP though. It's an affordable addition.

< Message edited by rhondabrwn -- 1/14/2007 5:10:04 AM >

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 8
RE: Korsun Pocket? - 12/31/2006 4:10:51 AM   
Rooster

I haven't played KP, but if you find it's not your cuppa... try COTA.  Has all the historical depth and realism with a continuous-time game engine.  And a hierarchy of orders so that you need only command the number of counters that you wish to.  Your "staff" will handle the rest.

TOAW is great too. 

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 9
RE: Korsun Pocket? - 12/31/2006 4:27:45 AM   
Adam Parker

quote:

Hi

Tom

Tom it's a good historically researched war game. It allows you to play both flanks as the Russians and then combine the two into a campaign. It teaches the art of breakthrough and pincer. I can't vouch for the voracity of the Germans vs a Russian AI.

You're also very lucky because once you understand the very easy to follow Decisive Battles system, you'll be able to next buy what I think is one of the nest wargames ever (and easily the best PC war game covering DDay) Battles In Normandy. The AI has been tweaked superbly and new features added.

I disagree that TOAW is a better wargaming system. Both have their abstractions. The biggest shortcoming of TOAW is that it tracks every asset a unit "theoretically" comprises. Not only will these TO&E's (tables of organization and equipment) be inaccurate but the game then prefaces itself on a unit employing every one of these assets it has in combat - each and every time - every rifle, every jeep, every truck... And in battle this would just never be the case. Too much minutae resulting in ahistoricity.

Stick with Decisive Battles - especially pick up the Normandy game when you are ready and it will (with its own abstractions) teach you some great lessons of WW2. After that you have another fine title covering the battles for Sicily and Italy awaiting

Adam.

(in reply to Doant1946)
Post #: 10
RE: Korsun Pocket? - 1/13/2007 8:27:49 PM   
Doant1946

Thanks I'm doing the tutorials right now.....I appreciate the help all..

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Korsun Pocket? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote