Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CSA Gen. Sibley was a drunk, not good ratings he should have.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> CSA Gen. Sibley was a drunk, not good ratings he should have. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CSA Gen. Sibley was a drunk, not good ratings he should... - 12/31/2006 10:43:36 AM   
christof139

Please lower CSA Gen. sibley's ratings as he was a drunk.

1) Gen. Sibley, CSA, was a drunk more or less, and performed badly, yet he has good stats. in the game, and that is way-off!!! Not only did he have problems out in the far west, but latter in Louisian at Fr. Bisland under Gen. Taylor, he also didn't do too well, and was I believe canned. IMHO Sibley's stats. should be changed to show poor initiative and comat performance but halfway decent organization. I am going to eventually change this myself. He invented a decent tent, in which to get drunk in of course.

Chris
Post #: 1
RE: CSA Gen. Sibley was a drunk, not good ratings he sh... - 12/31/2006 11:58:50 AM   
Twinkle

http://www.historycentral.com/Bio/CWcGENS/CSASibley.html
http://www.tentsmiths.com/period-tents-sibley-tents.html

probably a good party tent...

(in reply to christof139)
Post #: 2
RE: CSA Gen. Sibley was a drunk, not good ratings he sh... - 12/31/2006 10:48:42 PM   
Hard Sarge

you need a better reason to make changes then the fact he was a Drunk, most of the Generals of the time had there issues

a number of them had poor battles due to drink

Sherman had a breakdown, Stonewall, was, well, to be polite, Strange

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 3
RE: CSA Gen. Sibley was a drunk, not good ratings he sh... - 12/31/2006 11:44:36 PM   
bountyhunter

As far as combat experinece goes he had quite a bit. Seminole War, Utah Expedition, Mexican War. Getting promoted to major in the pre-war regular army wasn't easy either. Who knows if he had been successful in New Mexico we might have that part of the country on the game map.

Maybe we could implement some sort of random temporary ratings reduction for the known drunkards!

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 4
RE: CSA Gen. Sibley was a drunk, not good ratings he sh... - 1/1/2007 4:11:53 AM   
christof139

Well HS, Sibley was a drunk and a terrible commander. And that is very well documented!! You want some sources?? I have plenty.

Sibley was canned my friend for being incompetent.

Chris, Hard Spec. 4 and Squad Leader TOW AT, 1970-73, US Army, 1/39 Inf., AAA-0, Bar None!!! And I have had many friends and aquaintances in the USMC so Semper Fi and Happy New Year!!! And I hate mud, cold, hot and humid, hot and dry, etc. and dilapidated barracks. I like AC in the Summer and Heat in the Winter, tis why I have both and restrict my range of funtionality to between 40F and 85F, below 40F I gel and freeze and above 85F I melt.

(in reply to bountyhunter)
Post #: 5
RE: CSA Gen. Sibley was a drunk, not good ratings he sh... - 1/1/2007 4:14:21 AM   
christof139

BTW, Gen. Richard Taylor got ed-up with Sibley in Louisiana.

Sibley's drinking affected his performance, and that is usually the case if you haven't noticed.

Chris

Post #: 6
RE: CSA Gen. Sibley was a drunk, not good ratings he sh... - 1/1/2007 5:46:28 AM   
Hard Sarge

Roger Chris
I understand that, but I am also saying, that a lot of the Generals in this time line, also had the same issue, or other issues

Post #: 7
RE: CSA Gen. Sibley was a drunk, not good ratings he sh... - 1/1/2007 8:55:32 AM   
christof139

Hi HS,

Yes, I understand: Sherman, Grant, Cheatham at Murfreesboro, etc. when they were drinking goofed-up, but Sibley became a near perpetual drunk, and got so bad he was canned. We wouldn't have to eliminate poor Sibley, but in the game he has ratings of 6, when maybe one 4 and the rest 3's and 2's may be more like it. Something like that.

Good thread I think anyway, and humorous. We now have Sibley's Party Tent, Sibley himself the big drunk (he was a bit of a character too IIRC), etc. Now we need a Sibley Brewery/Distillery Building to go along with the Sibley Party Tent for the Confeds., then these structures could produce Siblings. %-) Drunk ones!!! And booze for a +1 to Morale but -1 to Command and Leadership.

At Murfreesboro, it was cold then as you know, many Confed. units were fortified with a little booze before they attacked. I think Lidell's Arkansas Bde. of Cleburne's Div. was one such unit. i just read about this.

So, seriously, I wouldn't want Sibley removed or given all 1's, just that he most definitely doesn't deserve ANY 6's or 5's. NONE whatsoever. A 4, 3, 3, and a 2 or something, but no 6's or 5's. He was an overall dismal strategic and tactical failure in the ACW.

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!! Chris

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 8
RE: CSA Gen. Sibley was a drunk, not good ratings he sh... - 1/1/2007 10:28:21 AM   
christof139

Hi Twinkle and thanx for the quick link, which link proves my point, that is that Sibley was a chronic drunk and a failure during the ACW, s well as being chronically ill. He shouldn't have any ratings of 6 or 5, and maybe only one 4 if that, mostly 3's, 2's and 1's. Chris

GENERAL HENRY HOPKINS SIBLEY, CSA
http://www.historycentral.com/Bio/CWcGENS/CSASibley.html

VITAL STATISTICS
BORN: 1816 in Natchitoches, LA, and probably was a drunk before he was born, or at least by the time he was 5 years old or so.

DIED: 1886 in Fredericksburg, VA.
CAMPAIGNS: Valverde, La Glorietta Pass, Teche River, Irish Blend, and Fort Bisland.
HIGHEST RANK ACHIEVED: Brigadier General, and very chronically imbibed, or drunk.

Henry Hopkins Sibley was born on May 25, 1816, in Natchitoches, Louisiana. He graduated from West Point in 1838, and was stationed in New Mexico Territory. Sibley served in the Seminole War and in the expedition against the Mormons of Utah, as well as the Mexican War. In 1856, he patented the Sibley tent, which could comfortably accommodate 20 soldiers and their personal gear. When the Civil War began, he resigned from the US Army and joined the Confederacy. Confederate President Davis promoted Sibley to brigadier general on June 17, 1861, and sent him to Texas to put together a brigade to clear (what is now) New Mexico and Arizona of Union presence. ###He believed that his troops would be able to live off the land of New Mexico, and that the Union troops would not resist a Confederate invasion. On both counts, he was mistaken.### While he defeated Union forces at Valverde and La Glorieta, he was unable to withstand the Union counterattack. He and his 1,500 remaining troops withdrew to Fort Bliss, Texas, and went to San Antonio to escape the California Column, under Union Brig. Gen. James H. Carleton. After this, Sibley was assigned to minor commands, and struggled with chronic illness and alcoholism. His performance in the Teche River Campaign of 1863 was poor. ***He was court-martialed and censured, but not convicted, after the Union failures at Irish Bend and Fort Bisland in April of 1863.*** Four years after the Civil War, he became general of artillery for the khedive of Egypt. After he returned to the US in 1874, he lectured, but died in poverty in Fredericksburg, Virginia , on August 23, 1886.

Please Note, at the ***, this is wrong, these were Confederate defeats and this phrase should read as ***He was court-martialed and censured, but not convicted, after the Union VICTORIES at Irish Bend and Fort Bisland in April of 1863.*** I have done extensive reading on this campaign, from many secondary and primary OR sources. It is a great little campaign to read about, the 1863 Texas Overland Campaign, as there are amphibious operations and some small size gunboat battles and at times the gunboats supported troops significantly onshore during battles. Very interesting. There were actually two campaigns around this time in Louisian, and I believe the other one was the Bayou Teche Campaign, would have to look. In 1862 there were also some small and interesting actions here west of the Miss. River.

Also, look at the ### to see more of Sibley's errors. Also, the initial Confed. victory at Valverde could possibly be better attributed to his subordinate commanders and the troops themselves rather than Sibley himself.

An interesting aspect is that the battle of valverde is somewhat innaccurately portrayed in the old and good Clint eastwood movie 'The Good, the bad, and the Ugly' I do believe. Could be 'A Fist Full of Dollars' though, I forget.

Chris

Post #: 9
RE: CSA Gen. Sibley was a drunk, not good ratings he sh... - 1/13/2007 3:29:17 AM   
Gil R.

Does anyone want to come up with revised ratings for Sibley that I can plug into the game? The categories are Leadership, Tactics, Command and Initiative. If we settle on something I'll put them into the next patch.

Post #: 10
RE: CSA Gen. Sibley was a drunk, not good ratings he sh... - 1/13/2007 3:38:11 AM   
spence

Seems to me that in some little town "down on the bayou" somewhere between Morgan City and Lafayette the remains of a confederate gunboat that participated in the aforementioned Bayou Teche campaign are still to be seen.   That at least was what some coona$$ told me when I was stationed down that way.  Course he might have just been having fun "wit dat Yankee".

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 11
RE: CSA Gen. Sibley was a drunk, not good ratings he sh... - 1/25/2007 7:35:36 PM   
Battleline

I'm just about to Sibley in the bio chain. Do I need to write something on him, or is a re-work of what was posted by christof139 OK?
Side note-Should the Sibley Party Tent be an upgrade in the game affecting troop morale?
Battleline

Post #: 12
RE: CSA Gen. Sibley was a drunk, not good ratings he sh... - 1/27/2007 12:41:31 AM   
Gil R.

If you don't mind writing something on Sibley, that would be great. I'm too busy editing (and doing other stuff) to do any composing myself.

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> CSA Gen. Sibley was a drunk, not good ratings he should have. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI