Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bios for Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Taliferro & Ricketts

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> Bios for Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Taliferro & Ricketts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bios for Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Taliferro & Ricketts - 1/6/2007 2:12:52 AM   

MG John Pope (b. 1822, d. 1882). John Pope was born to an influential Illinois couple with ties to prominent Illinois politicians, including Abraham Lincoln. Pope graduated from West Point in 1842 and joined the Topographical Engineers. Served on Zachary Taylor’s staff during the Mexican War and won praise in the assault on Monterrey. During the winter of ‘60-‘61, Pope urged Lincoln to take a hard line with the rebels; “There should be no effort to conciliate until rebellion is at an end and secession as a right explicitly abandoned.” Lincoln instead invited Pope to join his inaugural party on the trip to Washington. Pope was appointed BG of Volunteers on 14 June, ‘61 and captured New Madrid, MO, Island No. 10 and commanded the Army of the Mississippi during the siege of Corinth. Promoted to MG on 21 March ’62, Pope was summoned east to command the new Army of Virginia to cover Washington and draw away rebel forces contesting McClellan’s Peninsular Campaign. Pope was completely outgeneraled by Lee and Jackson during the Second Manassas campaign and banished to the Northeastern Territories. During Reconstruction, Pope commanded the 3rd Military District from Atlanta where his policies won the grudging respect of former Confederates. Pope served a total of 40 years in the Army and his most lasting legacy was the establishment of a school for Infantry and Cavalry officers at Fort Leavenworth, KS which grew into today’s U.S. Army Command and General Staff College. A contemporary said, “Pope was, no doubt, an able man and good soldier, but he talked too much of himself, of what he could do and of what ought to be done; and he indulged, contrary to good discipline and all propriety, in very free comments upon his superiors and fellow commanders.”

Leadership: 2
Tactics: n/a
Initiative: 5
Command: 2
Cavalry: n/a

LG Richard S. Ewell (b. 1817, d. 1872). Ewell was born in Georgetown, D.C. and graduated from West Point in 1840. The next 20 years saw him gaining combat experience in the Southwestern frontier. He was brevetted for bravery in the Mexican War but resigned from the U.S. Army in May, ’61. Commissioned a BG on 17 June ’61, he served during at 1st Manassas, the Valley Campaign of ’62, the Seven Days, and Second Manassas where he lost a leg. Ewell was commissioned MG on 24 Jan ’62 and LG on 23 May, ’63. He commanded the 2nd Corps from Gettysburg to Spotsylvania when he semi-retired due to health. He commanded the Richmond defenses in the later part of the war and was captured during the Appomattox Campaign at Saylor’s Creek on 6 April, 1865. Bold and smart at the brigade and division command, Ewell’s performance at the corps level was lackluster where he was perhaps unfairly criticized for a lack of initiative in seizing Culp’s Hill at Gettysburg. Ewell died on his farm near Spring Hill, TN on 25 Jan, 1872 and is buried in the Old City Cemetery at Nashville.

Leadership: 5
Tactics: 4
Initiative: 3
Command: 5

BG Maxcy Gregg (b. 1814, d. 1862). Gregg was born in SC and became a lawyer in 1839. He commanded the 12th U.S. Infantry during the Mexican War and resumed his law career after hostilities ended. At the outbreak of the Civil War, Gregg was colonel of the 1st SC Infantry until the fall of Fort Sumter. Commissioned a BG on 14 December, 1861, Gregg served ably in the Peninsular campaign of 1862 and the battles of Cedar Mountain, Second Manassas, Harper’s Ferry and Antietam. At the Battle of Fredericksburg, Gregg was mortally wounded while leading his men into a breach of the Confederate right flank. He died on 15 Dec. 1862 and is buried in Columbia, SC.

Leadership: 3
Initiative: 4
Command: 3

BG William B. Taliaferro (b. 1822, d. 1898). Taliaferro (pronounced “Taliver”) schooled at the College of William and Mary and Harvard before being commissioned into the US Army for the Mexican War and was mustered out as Major. He was a MG of Confederate militia in the early days of the Civil War before serving with Stonewall Jackson through the Valley campaign where he was made MG in the Confederate Army dating from 4 March, 1862. Taliaferro was in temporary command of Stonewall Jackson’s old division at the Battle of Cedar Mountain in August of 1862 and so impressed Jackson that he was given permanent command of the division. Seriously wounded at Second Manassas, he served the remainder of the war in backwater assignments in SC, GA, and FL. Taliaferro served in local political offices after the war and died on 27 Feb, 1898.

Leadership: 3

MG James B. Ricketts (b. 1817, d. 1887). Ricketts was born in NYC and was appointed to West Point in 1835. Though he served in the Mexican War, he received no promotions. Commanding a battery during 1st Manassas, Ricketts was wounded four times and was a Confederate POW until exchanged in early 1862. He was promoted to BG of volunteers on 30 April, 1862 to date from 21 July, 1861 for his conduct during the Battle of 1st Manassas. Ricketts commanded a division at Cedar Mountain, Second Manassas and Antietam, where he was badly injured by the last of two horses shot out from under him. Returning to division command in March, 1864, Ricketts led his command during Grant’s Overland campaign and then hurried north to the Monacacy River in July to delay Jubal Early’s raid on Washington for a vital 24 hours. Brevetted a MG of volunteers on 1 August, 1864, Ricketts was shot in the chest during the Cedar Creek battle in October but returned to his division just before Lee’s surrender. Ricketts died in Washington on 22 Sept. 1887; he’s buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

Leadership: 6
Tactics: 6
Command: 6
Post #: 1
RE: Bios for Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Taliferro & Ricketts - 1/8/2007 7:36:37 PM   
General Quarters

I think Pope should be ranked higher. You have to look at his whole record and give credit to the fact that he was commanding a motley collections of corps, was outnumbered, his army was starving, Franklin refused to get supplies to him, and McClellan refused to help.

Pope showed tremendous initiative in all his commands, had the right instinct which was to trap Jackson, was about to pounce on him at one point but damn if Jackson's men didn't take the wrong road so they weren't where they were supposed to be, did the first phase of the battle (before Jackson landed in his rear) very skillfully, and in his first command of this size or in the east, faced Lee's and Jackson's most daring move ever.

It is true that he got frazzled and lost his grip toward the end of the action, so that has to count against him, but he was probably a very talented general who would have done quite well had he had, say, Sherman's experience under Grant or had led a corps in AoP for a time.

Anyway, I would give him as high an initiative as any general short of Lee, Jackson, or Forrest -- Halleck had to keep him on a leash -- a 6, I suppose. In tactics, he was good in every engagement until he became rattled, so I would rate him at least average in that category -- is that a 4? And a modest rating in leadership, a 3, and in command, another 3.

If you want a reference that balances the stereotype about Pope, read Kenneth Williams, Lincoln Finds a General -- overall a superb series of books (5 volumes), containing lots of documentation, quotes the orders and communications and so forth. He makes a strong case that Union generals who faced Lee often were not all that bad (with the exception of McClellan), but, damn, they were up against Lee and Jackson!

(in reply to avatar36)
Post #: 2
RE: Bios for Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Taliferro & Ricketts - 1/8/2007 9:55:40 PM   
Battleline

A Tale of Two Personalities: John Pope
Ezra J. Warner, in his book “Generals in Blue” calls John Pope “one of the Civil War’s more controversial figures.” And that’s probably putting it mildly. Pope was an officer of promise during his early war experiences in the Western theater. But when promoted and brought east, he became something different.
Pope came from a distinguished family. Being a collateral descendant of George Washington, the son of a Federal judge and the nephew of a Kentucky senator (being related by marriage to Mary Todd Lincoln probably didn’t hurt either), probably helped him get his brigadier’s rank in 1861.
Nobody can question Pope’s early triumphs. His moves against Island No. 10 were brilliant. Within two months, he was a major general in command of a whole wing of Gen. Halleck’s army as it moved on Corinth, Miss.
But from the time he was called east Pope changed. Perhaps, as Warner speculated, he “began to get in over his depth.”
Assigned the Army of Virginia to help shield Washington and pull attention away from McClellan, Pope was an utter and dismal failure.
He couldn’t get along with his subordinates. John C. Fremont, who had commanded him out west, now was under Pope’s command and he wanted no part of it. Of course Fremont was a free spirit of his own.
Pope brought a lot of wrath on himself with his General Orders, which expressed his own hard line in dealing with Rebels. Warner called them tactless and bombastic. As for being out of supply, Pope brought that upon himself with General Order No. 5.
“Hereafter, as far as practicable, the troops of this command will subsist upon the country in which their operations are carried on. In all cases supplies for this purpose will be taken by the officers to whose department they properly belong under the orders of the commanding officer of the troops for whose use they are intended. Vouchers will be given to the owners, stating on their face that they will be payable at the conclusion of the war, upon sufficient testimony being furnished that such owners have been loyal citizens of the United States since the date of the vouchers. Whenever it is known that supplies can be furnished in any district of the country where the troops are to operate the use of trains for carrying subsistence will be dispensed with as far as possible.” (Official Records of the War of the Rebellion).
General Orders 7 and 11 were excessively oppressive on the civilians under his control.
Pope showed feistiness in moving his command forward, yet he couldn’t apprehend the situation when Jackson and Lee split to come together. He also didn’t quite get it when Stuart pillaged his command in a cavalry raid, grabbing his orders, and details of strength and disposition. His lack of initiative to change things around plagued his command.
If Pope had, as was stated, a “a motley collections of corps,” it was his fault. As army commander, it was his responsibility to train these men. Pope himself thought his forces were ready for operations:
“To the Officers and Soldiers of the Army of Virginia:
By special assignment of the President of the United States I have assumed the command of this army. I have spent two weeks in learning your whereabouts, your condition, and your wants, in preparing you for active operations, and in placing you in positions from which you can act promptly and to the purpose. These labors are nearly completed, and I am about to join you in the field.
Let us understand each other. I have come to you from the West, where we have always seen the backs of our enemies; from an army whose business it has been to seek the adversary and to beat him when he was found; whose policy has been attack and not defense. In but one instance has the enemy been able to place our Western armies in defensive attitude. I presume that I have been called here to pursue the same system and to lead you against the enemy. It is my purpose to do so, and that speedily. I am sure you long for an opportunity to win the distinction you are capable of achieving. That opportunity I shall endeavor to give you. Meantime I desire you to dismiss from your minds certain phrases, which I am sorry to find so much in vogue amongst you. I hear constantly of "taking strong positions and holding them," of "lines of retreat," and of "bases of supplies." Let us discard such ideas. The strongest position a soldier should desire to occupy is one from which he can most easily advance against the enemy. Let us study the probable lines of retreat of our opponents, and leave our own to take care of themselves. Let us look before us, and not behind. Success and glory are in the advance, disaster and shame lurk in the rear. Let us act on this understanding, and it is safe to predict that your banners shall be inscribed with many a glorious deed and that your names will be dear to your countrymen forever.
JNO. POPE,
Major-General, Commanding.”
(Official Records of the War of the Rebellion).
According to William Allan, in his “Relative Strength at Second Manassas.” Southern Historical Society Papers Vol. VIII Richmond, Va., May, 1880. No. 5, Pope had at least 72,600 men at his disposal to the 54,000 that Lee and Jackson had.
“But enough. No one will ever know precisely how many of his march-worn 54,000 troops General Lee was able to hurl against what was left of Pope's 75,000 in the last great struggle of the 30th of August. By one of the boldest and most skillful military movements of our times, he broke into fragments this army of Pope, so much larger than his own, while an army equal in number to the Confederates lay near Alexandria and Washington, within one day’s forced march of the battlefield.”
By the time Lee, Jackson and Stuart were done with him, Pope’s command was nearly in the Washington, D.C. defenses.
Instead of taking the blame himself, Pope managed to pin blame on Fitz John Porter, who was court-martialed.
Warner states: “Nevertheless Pope succeeded in having Fitz John Porter cashiered for disobedience of orders impossible of execution and displaying the grossest ignorance of the situation at the time they were issued (Porter, a supporter of Gen. McClellan, years later won a reversal of the verdict).
Pope’s actions in Virginia proved to be a huge victory for McClellan and his supporters as Little Mac was given command of all Union forces in the east and Pope was sent to Minnesota, the Civil War equivalent of the German Eastern Front. Again, with a smaller command, he behaved credibly during the Sioux uprising.
Pope was an aggressive general, and worked brilliantly with smaller units. In army command, despite having some excellent subordinates, he was unable to lead them to victory.
In regards to ratings, if you want to mark him the best of each trait (western service), then avatar’s ratings are too low. If you want to rate him for his command of the Army of Virginia, avatar’s ratings are closer to correct (maybe too high on initiative). If you want to give him some sort of average, avatar again is closer to what’s right, in my mind.
I don’t believe Pope should be rated higher than Robert E. Rodes, one of the most capable brigade and division commanders in the ANV Second Corps. Rodes’ lone slip didn’t lead to utter defeat.
It’s too bad there aren’t sliding ratings, such as changing from brigadier to major to lieutenant general, or from western to eastern theaters.
As for Pope, he was a great brigade-division commander in the west, but a utter despotic failure as an eastern army commander.

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 3
RE: Bios for Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Taliferro & Ricketts - 1/9/2007 12:30:17 AM   
Joram

A pretty good argument for having some kind of modifier making attributes worse the higher he is promoted.  

Fascinating history by the way.

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 4
RE: Bios for Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Taliferro & Ricketts - 1/9/2007 4:53:23 AM   
General Quarters

In my view, the ratings tend to score down generals who managed to get to the top, where they got whipped, and score up subordinate generals who performed more limited tasks quite well.

If Hooker, for example, were graded solely on his performance as a division and corps leader, he would come off quite well. With someone like Rodes, we don't know how he would have fared commanding the Union army against Lee and Jackson.

In the case of Pope, a rating that totals 9 puts him well under many generals never so tested.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 5
RE: Bios for Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Taliferro & Ricketts - 1/9/2007 6:47:48 AM   
chris0827

Rodes was a confederate general. I'd rate Pope below average in Leadership and Command, average in tactics, and above average in initiative.

Post #: 6
RE: Bios for Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Taliferro & Ricketts - 1/9/2007 1:13:56 PM   
christof139

Rodes was pretty darn good. Poor Pope 'had his headquarters in his hindquarters'. Even Lee, who was very polite, made a derogatory remark about him, and the remark in the preceding sentnce just may be it, I forget.

Chris

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 7
RE: Bios for Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Taliferro & Ricketts - 1/9/2007 7:50:40 PM   
General Quarters

The famous Lee quote about Pope was not about his military talents but in condemnation of an order Pope had issued treating Virginia civilians as traitors if they refused to sign a loyalty oath. The order was approved by Lincoln personally.

To sum up the case for Pope. Exercising an independent command, he was aggressive and intelligent in taking down Island No. Ten and New Madrid. As a corps commander, he was aggressive and intelligent on the approach to Corinth, and in pursuit afterwards. He was very skillful in the Rappahannock area prelude to 2nd Manassas, pulling back at one point just as Lee was getting ready to attack and then in blocking one after another of Lee's plans to cross the river. His instinct was exactly right when he found that Jackson was in his rear which was, instead of fright (imagine how McClellan would have responded), correctly perceiving that Lee's army was divided and this was a chance to defeat them in detail. It became a comedy of errors after that because, lacking cavalry, he could not find Jackson and occasional just bad luck, like the case where he knew where Jackson was heading and converged on the place, but Jackson's men got lost and weren't there. Pope did become obsessed at about that point and ignored warnings indicating that Longstreet was arriving. But that might not have been any worse than Sherman's ignoring repeated warnings that the enemy was approaching at Shiloh. Had Sherman been fired, as Pope was, history could record him as a no-good general too. Sometimes a label gets fixed on a historical character that is not necessarily fair but makes a good story to tell. In my view, that happened to Pope.

Sorry to carry this on, when avatar has duly recorded a fairly standard evaluation of Pope (perhaps at the low end of the standard evaluations) and this is not the place for extended debates but, as you can see, I have made a bit of a study of this and could not refrain from making my case.

(in reply to christof139)
Post #: 8
RE: Bios for Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Taliferro & Ricketts - 1/10/2007 1:18:54 AM   
christof139

Seems the usually polite Lee also made a comment about Pope's military talents, but I may be misreading this that I read a couple of months back as you say.

Pope was allright, and you make a very good explanation of what happened to him at 2nd BR and his good performance elsewhere.

I bet poor Pope must also have had a boil on his buttocks or something at 2nd BR though. Perhaps a bit of a case of overconfidence and indecisevness also?? Pope had enough Cavalry to scout etc.

Very interesting and good info. you give. Pope was not a complete idiot all the time anyway.

I just like the idiot moniker for 2nd BR in particular.

Chris

Post #: 9
RE: Bios for Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Taliferro & Ricketts - 1/13/2007 4:00:05 AM   
Gil R.

These are a good start, but Pope and Ewell are both 100-percenters and Gregg is a 25-percenter, meaning that they are important enough to merit longer bios. Before I include them, do you think that you might want to expand these bios, using information others posted here as well as anything else that might seem worthwhile? (I have no strong opinion about the other two, though there might be additional information that could be added to these as well.) Thanks!

(in reply to christof139)
Post #: 10
RE: Bios for Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Taliferro & Ricketts - 1/13/2007 4:18:51 AM   
chris0827

Why is Gregg a 25-percenter? He never commanded more than a brigade and had a short career. Are you sure you haven't confused him with the union Gregg who commanded a cavalry division?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 11
RE: Bios for Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Taliferro & Ricketts - 1/13/2007 4:41:30 AM   
Gil R.

You're right, that's what I did.

Okay, Gregg is officially deemed relatively unimportant, and his bio sufficiently short (or long, depending on your perspective).

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 12
RE: Bios for Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Taliferro & Ricketts - 3/30/2007 2:07:06 AM   
Gil R.

I had forgotten all about this thread until today...

Avatar36 hasn't logged on since early January, meaning that he never saw my requests to lengthen the Ewell and Pope bios. JkBluesman today asked if he could redo Ewell's bio, and that seems like a fine idea, since we do need a more detailed bio for Ewell. (JkBluesman, I've also put you down for von Steinwehr.) If anyone else wants to do Pope, please let me know. And if you do, note the discussion above, which might well prove useful.

Since the other three guys whose bios Avatar36 wrote are 9-percenters I'll go with those bios, since he did take the time to work on this project and shouldn't have nothing to show for it.

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 3/30/2007 2:21:14 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 13
RE: Bios for Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Taliferro & Ricketts - 3/30/2007 2:39:01 AM   
Gil R.

Okay, I've just edited Gregg, spicing it up a bit:

Brig. Gen. Maxcy Gregg (b. 1814, d. 1862). Gregg was born in South Carolina on August 1, 1814 and became a lawyer at the age of twenty-five. He commanded the 12th U.S. Infantry during the Mexican War but apparently saw no action, and resumed his law career after hostilities had ended. At the outbreak of the Civil War, Gregg, who had strongly endorsed secession and was a slave-holder himself, served as Colonel of the 1st South Carolina Infantry until the fall of Fort Sumter. Commissioned a Brigadier General on December 14, 1861, Gregg served ably in the Peninsular Campaign of 1862 and at the battles of Cedar Mountain, Second Manassas, Harper’s Ferry and Antietam. His finest moment came at the Battle of Second Manassas, when he and he men repulsed six assaults by the Union, with Gregg encouraging his men with a cry of “Let us die here men, let us die here!” while wielding a Revolutionary War-era scimitar he always carried. At the Battle of Fredericksburg, Gregg was mortally wounded while leading his men into a breach of the Confederate right flank. He died two days later, on December 15, 1862, and is buried in Columbia, S.C. His death was bemoaned by Gen. “Stonewall” Jackson, who stated, “General Gregg was a brave and accomplished officer, full of heroic sentiment and chivalrous honor. He had rendered valuable service in this great struggle for our freedom, and the country has much reason to deplore the loss sustained by his premature death.” (Bio by Neal West)

Leadership: 5

Teaches: Steady (14), Bulldogs (25)

Start date: 22
Death date: 47

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 14
RE: Bios for Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Taliferro & Ricketts - 3/30/2007 3:01:08 AM   
Gil R.

And Taliaferro:

Brig. Gen. William Booth Taliaferro (b. 1822, d. 1898). Taliaferro (pronounced “Taliver”) was born on December 28, 1822, and was schooled at the College of William and Mary and Harvard before being commissioned into the U.S. Army for the Mexican War and subsequently mustered out as Major. Having become prominent in Virginia politics in the post-war years, when the Civil War began he was appointed a Major General of Confederate militia. He soon was serving as a brigade commander under Gen. “Stonewall” Jackson during the Valley Campaign, rising to Major General in the Confederate Army dating from 4 March, 1862. Wikipedia says he became a Major General in 1865, though. Does anyone have info on the dates of his promotions? Taliaferro was in temporary command of Jackson’s old division at the Battle of Cedar Mountain in August of 1862 and so impressed Jackson that he was given permanent command of the division. Seriously wounded at the Battle of Second Manassas soon afterwards, he recovered in time for the Battle of Fredericksburg that December. This was to be his last battle serving under Jackson: he was soon transferred to commands in South Carolina, Georgia and Florida, most notably commanding Confederate troops during the Battle of Fort Wagner the following July. Taliaferro served in local political offices after the war and died on February 27, 1898. (Bio by Neal West)

Leadership: 4

Start date: 18

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 15
RE: Bios for Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Taliferro & Ricketts - 3/30/2007 3:21:51 AM   
Gil R.

And Ricketts:

Maj. Gen. James Brewerton Ricketts (b. 1817, d. 1887). Ricketts was born in New York City on June 21, 1817, later gaining an appointment to West Point in the Class of 1839. Though he served in the Mexican War, he received no promotions. Commanding an artillery battery during the Battle of First Manassas, Ricketts was wounded four times and became a Confederate prisoner of war, finally gaining his freedom through an exchange in January of 1862. He was promoted to Brigadier General of Volunteers on April 30, 1862, to date from July 21, 1861 for his conduct at Manassas. Ricketts commanded a division at the battles of Cedar Mountain, Second Manassas and Antietam, where he was badly injured when the second of two horses was shot out from under him. Returning to division command in March of 1864, Ricketts led his command during Gen. Ulysses S. Grant’s Overland Campaign and then hurried north to the Monocacy River for a battle on July 9 that delayed Gen. Jubal Early’s raid on Washington, D.C. for a vital twenty-four hours – long enough to cause Early’s plans to fail. Ricketts was brevetted a Major General of Volunteers on August 1, 1864 in recognition of his performance during the Battle of Monocacy. Ricketts was shot in the chest during the Battle of Cedar Creek on October 19, 1864, earning him a brevet as Brigadier General of the regular army, which was trumped by the brevet as Major General in the regular army that he was given for generally “gallant and meritorious service in the field.” He returned to his division just before Gen. Robert E. Lee’s surrender. Ricketts died in Washington on September 22 1887, and was buried in Arlington National Cemetery. One of his sons, Basil Norris Ricketts was later buried nearby, having earned the honor through service with Theodore Roosevelt’s Rough Riders during the Spanish-American War. (Bio by Neal West)

Leadership: 6
Tactics: 6
Command: 6

Teaches: Random (-1), Random (-1)

Start date: 31

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 16
RE: Bios for Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Taliferro & Ricketts - 3/30/2007 11:54:48 AM   
jkBluesman

From Frank Vandivers bio "Mighty Stonewall" I got the information that Jackson had his problems with Taliaferro because the latter did not match the standards of discipline the former had set. In 1863 Isaac Trimble got the rank of Maj. Gen. and not Taliaferro, who then asked for a transfer from the army. This indicates that he did not become Maj. Gen. until 1865.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 17
RE: Bios for Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Taliferro & Ricketts - 4/15/2007 1:30:33 AM   
Gil R.

Here's the edited Taliaferro bio. I'm going to stick with his having been promoted to major general in March 1862, since that's what my encyclopedia says.

Maj. Gen. William Booth Taliaferro (b. 1822, d. 1898). Taliaferro (pronounced “Taliver”) was born on December 28, 1822, and was schooled at the College of William and Mary and Harvard before being commissioned into the U.S. Army for the Mexican War and subsequently mustered out as a major. He practiced law and became prominent in Virginia politics in the post-war years, and his military experience led to his appointment as a state militia officer. It was in this capacity that he commanded state forces at the time of John Brown’s 1859 raid on Harper’s Ferry. When Virginia seceded in April 1861, Taliaferro was promoted to major general of Virginia’s militia, and when his state became part of the Confederacy he became Colonel of the 23rd Virginia Infantry Regiment. That summer, Taliaferro and his regiment were serving in western Virginia under Brig. Gen. Robert S. Garnett, who was killed in Taliaferro’s presence at Carrick’s Ford. He soon was serving as a brigade commander under Gen. “Stonewall” Jackson during the Valley Campaign of spring, 1862, just before which Taliaferro had been promoted to major general. Taliaferro was in temporary command of Jackson’s old division at the Battle of Cedar Mountain on August 9 and so impressed Jackson that he was given permanent command of the division. Less than three weeks later, however, he was seriously wounded at the Battle of Groveton on August 28, sustaining injuries to his neck, foot and arm, which forced him not only to miss the Battle of Second Bull Run the next day, but also three more months of action. Taliaferro finally recovered in time to command his division at the Battle of Fredericksburg that December, at which he repelled an attack by Gen. George G. Meade’s division. This was to be his last battle serving under Jackson: he was soon transferred to commands in South Carolina, Georgia and Florida, most notably commanding Confederate troops during the Battle of Fort Wagner the following July (for which he received a commendation from his superior, Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard). But as Gen. William T. Sherman approached Savannah in December 1864, Taliaffero’s role switched from coastal defense to overseeing the evacuation of Confederate forces from that city and other points in Sherman’s path and joining them to Gen. Joseph E. Johnston’s army. Taliaferro fought with Johnston at the Battle of Bentonville on March 19-21, and surrendered with him a month later. After the war, Taliaferro returned to his law practice and served in local political offices and died on February 27, 1898. (Bio by Neal West)

Leadership: 4

Start date: 22??? (I can’t find good info on this, but the promotion seems to have been in Dec. 1861)

Teaches: Steady (14)

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> Bios for Pope, Ewell, Gregg, Taliferro & Ricketts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI