Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Gunboat seige value?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Gunboat seige value? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gunboat seige value? - 1/6/2007 8:50:57 PM   
Paper Tiger

Anyone know what the actual Seige value of a gunboat is? Can't find it written down anywhere and you can't upgrade the weapon so you are stuck withwhatever the value is. I could make a guess at around 5???
Post #: 1
RE: Gunboat seige value? - 1/6/2007 10:07:06 PM   
Joram

Great question and a reasonable guess.  IMO gunboats are way too fragile and I keep losing them.  Since they are so expensive, I just buy regular siege guns now and upgrade them.

(in reply to Paper Tiger)
Post #: 2
RE: Gunboat seige value? - 1/6/2007 10:50:41 PM   
General Quarters

Yes, gunboats have been a disappointment. In the real war, they were sometimes able to reduce a fortification single-handedly. They seem awfully weak -- of almost negigible benefit -- in the game.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 3
RE: Gunboat seige value? - 1/7/2007 1:20:50 AM   
spruce

gunboats are a bit abstracted - they are more like siege artillery that can only move trough and to river provinces. They are a bonus for your siege works. It's not those brown water units will see any river fights - early game they are a nice addition to the Union siege effort in the game. For the moment there are still haunted by some bugs...

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 4
RE: Gunboat seige value? - 1/7/2007 2:18:22 AM   
Twotribes

Either 15 or 25 ( I think 25) the value is in one of the files, I have seen it because I have changed some of the files. As I recall it is at the bottom of the file ( just cant think of which one) I will look for it.

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 5
RE: Gunboat seige value? - 1/7/2007 2:31:15 AM   
Twotribes

Ok the value is set at 25 and is at the bottom of the list in the file AOWConstants.

I agree about the point on fragile though, they die like flies. To boot you cant tell easily what they are suffering from. One solution would be to have double your needs and to rotate the units every couple turns in a siege, be sure the river province they are resting in has supply though.

(in reply to Paper Tiger)
Post #: 6
RE: Gunboat seige value? - 1/7/2007 4:11:15 AM   
General Quarters

I forget the other seize artillery values, but am I correct that they run a quarter to a half of that amout?

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 7
RE: Gunboat seige value? - 1/7/2007 7:07:10 AM   
Twotribes

Depends on weapons. I believe with the right tech you can get a cannon with a 30 value, but most are under 15.

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 8
RE: Gunboat seige value? - 1/7/2007 10:24:42 AM   
Joram

Siege guns are roughly half of what a gunboat costs in Money.  However, they take twice as long to build.   And you need to spend a little more money and a lot of guns to make them truly effective.   The main problem with gunboats, besides being completely limited to the rivers, is that they are very fragile (at least for me) so even despite their strong siege value, they aren't cost effective I find.   Siege guns on the other hand are darn near indestructible.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 9
RE: Gunboat seige value? - 1/7/2007 3:28:03 PM   
Twotribes

Actually I suspect they are Indestructable. I Invaded Norfolk from the Sea in one game with a Corps. The ANV arrrived and destroyed my corps, forcing it to surrender, EXCEPT the siege guns, the corps and division container with said siege guns and all officers. They remained unharmed and unable to be destroyed.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 10
RE: Gunboat seige value? - 1/7/2007 6:45:23 PM   
christof139

That's frustrating!!!!

Chris

PS: I'll try an eraser on my screen and see if I can get rid of them when this happens. Actually, I think some Union siege guns may have been destroyed by me, they just dissappeared I think, if they were there to begin with. I dunna no.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 11
RE: Gunboat seige value? - 1/7/2007 7:27:23 PM   
2gaulle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Actually I suspect they are Indestructable. I Invaded Norfolk from the Sea in one game with a Corps. The ANV arrrived and destroyed my corps, forcing it to surrender, EXCEPT the siege guns, the corps and division container with said siege guns and all officers. They remained unharmed and unable to be destroyed.

I just loose a couple of siege guns during washington siege.
also I have notice a bug with, there are not visible in quick battle

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 12
RE: Gunboat seige value? - 1/7/2007 8:54:53 PM   
Jakerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2gaulle

Maybe you just need to read rules once more as it is clearly said in rules that siege guns don’t take part normal combat.

(in reply to 2gaulle)
Post #: 13
RE: Gunboat seige value? - 1/7/2007 9:15:31 PM   
2gaulle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jakerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2gaulle

Maybe you just need to read rules once more as it is clearly said in rules that siege guns don’t take part normal combat.

it's possible but unfortunately there was an hidden unit each time I had to set up a quick battle for one of my army that have a siege guns.

(in reply to Jakerson)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Gunboat seige value? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI