Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Wish List

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Wish List Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wish List - 1/11/2007 1:22:10 AM   
Paper Tiger

Definately need to mod seiges, I have a tendancy now to just upgrade units with an Art starting attribute to 6pdrs (ok so morale is rubbish but it doesn't affect the casualties they cause in seige attack or defence) and put them into garrison where they masacre HUGE numbers of beseigers every turn. Guess right and drop 2or 3 of those into a city before the enemy gets there and hey presto, dissappearing army trick.
Also the same trick works on the offensive artillery even with rubbish morale still does way more damage than infantry so a few 6pdrs with morale of 1.0 in the beseiging force will cut through the defenders much faster.
Probably need to modify the amount of damage inflicted by the quality of the unit. These hordes of morale 1.0 artillery should be dropping as many cannon balls on their own feet as they do on the enemy, but they are if used as garrisons and seige forces they are a very effective mincing machine. (Just don't leave them unsupported I'm not sure how they would fare against a proper combat force in open battle.) 

(in reply to Berkut)
Post #: 511
RE: Wish List - 1/15/2007 7:33:19 PM   
General Quarters

Immediate Deduct for Army-Built Forts:

When a city builds fortifications or anything else, it is immediately deducted from your tally of remaining gold, labor, etc. But when an army builds a fort, it is not immediately deducted. Occasionally, I give an army the order to build a fort and then inadvertantly spend below the level needed to build it.

It would be great if army-built forts were immediately deducted from the tally.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 512
RE: Wish List - 1/18/2007 10:52:29 PM   
General Quarters

"Garrison disbanded":

When I get this message, I would really like to know where that garrison is, in case I want to replace it.

(in reply to Paper Tiger)
Post #: 513
RE: Wish List - 1/18/2007 10:55:23 PM   
General Quarters

Enemy Entering a New State:

I do not systematically scroll the entire map each turn, since that is not interesting. It has happened that I inadvertantly discover that the Union has entered a state, each time, I think, into a coastal province. It could also happen in an inactive sector, such as the far west.

It would be nice to get a message whenever the enemy enters a new state.

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 514
RE: Wish List - 1/18/2007 11:03:35 PM   
General Quarters

Diplomacy scale:

Each dollar adds a certain amount to the percent chance to influence the foreign power. On the whole, it goes up in declining increments: from 15 percent to 28 (a 13 point increment), from 28 to 39 (11 point increment), 39 to 45 (6 point) and finally 45 to 52 (7 point).

The second-to-last increment should be larger than the last increment. And it should probably be roughly halfway between the previous increment and the final one: e.g., 13, 11, 9, and finally 7. So that four dollars would get 48 percent, and five dollars, 55 percent. Or, if that runs the scale too high, make the last two increments 8 and 6, resulting in 47 and 53 respectively.

Post #: 515
RE: Wish List - 1/20/2007 4:15:19 AM   
General Quarters

Supply Grid:

There is currently a map that shows the supply level of the various units. It would be nice to also have a supply grid. It is often unclear to me, particularly as Union, where I can go and still be in supply.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 516
RE: Wish List - 1/20/2007 4:18:01 AM   
General Quarters

Railroad in Fredericksburg:

It is not clear to me why there is not a railroad in Fredericksburg, since there was one (or two) there historically. This limits the impact of hospitals in Washington and Annapolis, and it apparently affects supply, since I had a Union army in Lynchburg that seemed to start starving to death. Since the Union already has trouble holding its own, this seems like an unnecessary impediment.

< Message edited by General Quarters -- 1/20/2007 4:30:35 AM >

Post #: 517
RE: Wish List - 1/21/2007 4:58:13 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

Gen. Cleburne, the Stonwall of the West and one of the Confeds' best Gens. does not give any attributes to his troopies, while other lesser gens. do, can you all do something about that?? Cleburne was smart, had well drilled troops, and brave, so perhaps the Hero, Fast, Volley, Flankers, and one of the Drill/manuever attributes could be given to Cleburne.

I've made a note to look into this. Thanks!

(in reply to christof139)
Post #: 518
RE: Wish List - 1/21/2007 5:00:55 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Berkut

Feature Wish:

A PBEM game file/email management system like Great Battles of World War 2.

That thing rocks. You are all one big happy Matrix family, right? Surely SSG would let you "borrow" theirs...

This sounds like something likely to require a lot of programming. Since I don't know how this game's PBEM system works, please elaborate...

And anyone who thinks that we are "all one big happy Matrix family" should come to the Origins Convention and watch the different development teams vying for the limited number of computers so that they can demo their own games to potential customers...

(in reply to Berkut)
Post #: 519
RE: Wish List - 1/21/2007 5:53:03 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Quarters

It is not clear to me why there is not a railroad in Fredericksburg, since there was one (or two) there historically. This limits the impact of hospitals in Washington and Annapolis, and it apparently affects supply, since I had a Union army in Lynchburg that seemed to start starving to death. Since the Union already has trouble holding its own, this seems like an unnecessary impediment.

I believe this RR ran north to Aquia Creek Landing on the Potomac, and didn't link into the RR's from Washington. However it was the major supply line for Union Armies opperating around Fredricksburg, so it should provide some support to the North. And of course it did run South to Richmond, and was Lee's major supply line for both Fredricksburg and Chancellorsville.

Post #: 520
RE: Wish List - 1/21/2007 6:11:00 AM   
General Quarters

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

I believe this RR ran north to Aquia Creek Landing on the Potomac, and didn't link into the RR's from Washington. However it was the major supply line for Union Armies opperating around Fredricksburg, so it should provide some support to the North. And of course it did run South to Richmond, and was Lee's major supply line for both Fredricksburg and Chancellorsville.

Yes, thanks for the clarification.

Wasn't there also a railroad that went from Alexandria through Manassas Jct and on to the Culpepper or Orange area, where it connected with a line that did go into Richmond. Maybe it was called the Orange and Alexandria. I think that was more roundabout and therefore more vulnerable, but was a possible full-supply approach to Richmond or southwest Virginia. In fact, wasn't that sorta the plan, insofar as they had a plan, for John Pope's Army of Virginia -- to approach Richmond from the opposite side McClellan was approaching it?

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 521
RE: Wish List - 1/21/2007 7:27:52 AM   
chris0827

The only plan for McClellan's army was to withdraw from the Peninsula and reinforce Pope.

Post #: 522
Promotions of Generals - 1/21/2007 10:08:16 AM   
sven6345789

Hi,
how about giving not only a bonus regarding the relationship to a governor once you promote a general to lets say 4 star leader, but also a malus to all the governors of those generals which have been passed in the promotion process (if you have 2 3-star and 3 2-star leaders, you would have to think twice before you promote some 1-star leader just because you want to have him;the higher ranked generals would not be happy about being bypassed)

Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 523
RE: Wish List - 1/21/2007 11:16:41 AM   
New York Jets

quote:

ORIGINAL: briny_norman

I'll sign the petition for a zoom-function - both on the strategic and the tactical map.

And a little thing that irritates me when fighting detailed battles: The way the camera instantly jumps from one unit to the next when the last action has been performed, so sometimes you don't get to see the results of your order (I don't want to miss the cool new animations...!). This is aggrevated by the seemingly random way you jump through your units when giving orders, as you might be thrown form one end of the battle-line to the other without warning and apart from missing out on some action and results of your latest move this jumping back and forth across the map can be quite disorienting. At least, I don't think it makes for very fluent gameplay.

Perhaps the unit 'jumping' could be a little less random and based on your army organisation - next unit is always from the same division etc... That would also encourage realistic battlefield manouvering, ie. keeping divisions together etc...
And maybe you could make so the you don't jump to the next unit before the animations of the current unit has been played through...

By the way, also adding to the jumping effect is the fact that your moves are intermingled with your opponent's, but I really like this feature for other reasons, so I guess I wouldn't want to see it go.

Anyway, that's all I can think of right now. Back to the game!

Cheers!

Seconded.

The box art is awful.

"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of 'em."

- Casey Stengel -

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 524
RE: Wish List - 1/21/2007 5:50:11 PM   
General Quarters

Responding to Chris:

Not at first. Pope understood his mission as being to put pressure on the rear door of Richmond while McClellan moved against its front. Pope told the War Dept that his army would be at risk unless McClellan attacked at the same time Pope advanced on Richmond. Historians often quote Pope's early message to McClellan, offering to coordiate plans and to be as helpful to McClellan as possible. McClellan sent him a rather dismissive note. The decision to withdraw forces from the Peninsula was made a bit later.

< Message edited by General Quarters -- 1/21/2007 6:01:54 PM >

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 525
RE: Wish List - 1/21/2007 6:30:46 PM   
chris0827

On the day Pope took command McClellan was already retreating on the Peninsula. Pope's troops were scattered all over northern Virginia and he didn't start advancing until august 2nd. McClellan had been given orders only july 30th to prepare to move his army to Aquia harbor.

Post #: 526
RE: Wish List - 1/21/2007 9:44:11 PM   
General Quarters

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris0827

On the day Pope took command McClellan was already retreating on the Peninsula. Pope's troops were scattered all over northern Virginia and he didn't start advancing until august 2nd. McClellan had been given orders only july 30th to prepare to move his army to Aquia harbor.

Yes, it is good to be specific about dates, though I am not sure what the date of Pope's advance is apropos of. I was speaking about plans.

From Civil War Day by Day, June 26, 1862:

"A primary command change was announced in Washington. Maj. Gen. John Pope was formally assigned command of the newly created Army of Virginia .... The main tsk of the new command was to protect Washington and, more importantly, to consolidate all land forces in Virginia ... so that they could move overland to aid McClellan and take the pressue off his army near Richmond."

From Shelby Foote:

"On June 27, while Porter was under attack on Turkey Hill," McClellan wired the War Dept, "I will beg that you put some one general in command ...." Lincoln "had already done what he suggested ...." "John Pope was the man ...." "The Army of Virginia, it was called." "... its mission was to move in general down the line of the Orange & Alexandria Railroad ... so as to close in on the Confederate capital from the west and north, while McClellan's Army of the Potomac applied pressure from the east; thus Richmond would be crushed in a giant nutcracker, with Pope as the upper jaw."

The documentary evidence, as far as I have seen it, is not as explicit as the nutcracker image suggests (that's why I called it "sorta the plan, insofar as they had a plan") but it was sufficient for me to suggest this should be a possibility in the game.

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 527
RE: Wish List - 1/21/2007 9:47:08 PM   
Johan_Banér

quote:

Yes, thanks for the clarification.

Wasn't there also a railroad that went from Alexandria through Manassas Jct and on to the Culpepper or Orange area, where it connected with a line that did go into Richmond. Maybe it was called the Orange and Alexandria. I think that was more roundabout and therefore more vulnerable, but was a possible full-supply approach to Richmond or southwest Virginia. In fact, wasn't that sorta the plan, insofar as they had a plan, for John Pope's Army of Virginia -- to approach Richmond from the opposite side McClellan was approaching it?

Yes the Orange & Alexandria railroad runs there, however IIRC Confederate troops had destroyed the bridge across the Rapidan, the same they had with the Chatham bridge across the Rappahannock in April -62 when Union troops occupied Fredricksburg.

Post #: 528
RE: Wish List - 1/21/2007 10:35:05 PM   
tiredoftryingnames

On the city detail screen under the developments part I would like to see the data order rearranged.

I think it should listed the current number of buildings and the max at the top, then the under contruction buildings and then the list of buildings in the province. That way when you cycle through the cities at a quick glance you'll see if the province can support more buildings without having to scroll.

(in reply to Johan_Banér)
Post #: 529
RE: Wish List - 1/21/2007 10:58:21 PM   
chris0827

quote:

quote:

Yes, it is good to be specific about dates, though I am not sure what the date of Pope's advance is apropos of. I was speaking about plans.

From Civil War Day by Day, June 26, 1862:

"A primary command change was announced in Washington. Maj. Gen. John Pope was formally assigned command of the newly created Army of Virginia .... The main tsk of the new command was to protect Washington and, more importantly, to consolidate all land forces in Virginia ... so that they could move overland to aid McClellan and take the pressue off his army near Richmond."

From Shelby Foote:

"On June 27, while Porter was under attack on Turkey Hill," McClellan wired the War Dept, "I will beg that you put some one general in command ...." Lincoln "had already done what he suggested ...." "John Pope was the man ...." "The Army of Virginia, it was called." "... its mission was to move in general down the line of the Orange & Alexandria Railroad ... so as to close in on the Confederate capital from the west and north, while McClellan's Army of the Potomac applied pressure from the east; thus Richmond would be crushed in a giant nutcracker, with Pope as the upper jaw."

The documentary evidence, as far as I have seen it, is not as explicit as the nutcracker image suggests (that's why I called it "sorta the plan, insofar as they had a plan") but it was sufficient for me to suggest this should be a possibility in the game.

I should've said "By the time Pope was ready to move it was no longer the plan." You should of course be able to try it in the game. I want the resources available to each player to be as historically acurate as possible but I don't want to recreate history.

Post #: 530
RE: Wish List - 1/22/2007 12:40:05 AM   
General Quarters

quote:

I should've said "By the time Pope was ready to move it was no longer the plan." You should of course be able to try it in the game. I want the resources available to each player to be as historically acurate as possible but I don't want to recreate history.

Yes, thanks for the clarification. That sounds right to me.

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 531
RE: Wish List - 1/22/2007 12:46:48 AM   
General Quarters

Promotions per turn:

Someone posted below, and I agree with him, that the limitation of one promotion per turn is just irritating, particularly at the beginning of the game.

Post #: 532
RE: Wish List - 1/23/2007 2:22:11 PM   
General Quarters

Default on loading a saved local game:

It would be nice if the default name that appeared was the most recent saved game rather than "Forge."

Post #: 533
RE: Wish List - 1/23/2007 2:44:22 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

Promotions per turn:

Someone posted below, and I agree with him, that the limitation of one promotion per turn is just irritating, particularly at the beginning of the game.

I thought it was posted elsewhere, but this has been changed

currently, you can pormote as many Generals as you have slots for

and Acdamines (?) give more slots then before

Post #: 534
RE: Wish List - 1/23/2007 7:04:06 PM   
Twotribes

I would like to see a command added that allows containers "under command" to train brigades to at least 2.5 scale. Allow a General to have x amount of ability to train if useing this command, based on one of the ratings he has, scaleing up from terrible at some real low level to superb at some noticably higher level.

In other words, a Division with at least a 2 star could, if given the command and in the appropriate area, begin training brigades under 2.5 up to 2.5 . A General in a Corps or Army could do the same, but obviously since the rating will effect the number of units trainable this would be more efficient at the Division level.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 535
RE: Wish List - 1/23/2007 7:10:03 PM   
chris0827

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

I would like to see a command added that allows containers "under command" to train brigades to at least 2.5 scale. Allow a General to have x amount of ability to train if useing this command, based on one of the ratings he has, scaleing up from terrible at some real low level to superb at some noticably higher level.

In other words, a Division with at least a 2 star could, if given the command and in the appropriate area, begin training brigades under 2.5 up to 2.5 . A General in a Corps or Army could do the same, but obviously since the rating will effect the number of units trainable this would be more efficient at the Division level.

They could add a training special ability as well. Generals like MClellan and Bragg had little success in the field but did well in training their commands.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 536
RE: Wish List - 1/23/2007 10:26:12 PM   
General Quarters

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

They could add a training special ability as well. Generals like MClellan and Bragg had little success in the field but did well in training their commands.

I like that idea. It is very historical, as Chris points out. Training versus operations was a choice generals had to make. They pretty much drilled all the time -- I don't know if that is already modelled in the game. Perhaps the training function would indicate a higher level of training and take extra supplies or something.

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 537
RE: Wish List - 1/25/2007 4:50:11 AM   
General Quarters

Cleburne and Lee:

It has been pointed out that, even when Lee is commanding, Jackson's name often shows on the map. I gather that is being fixed. Now I have the same phenomenon with four-star Cleburne showing rather than Lee.

Post #: 538
RE: Wish List - 1/25/2007 4:51:50 AM   
General Quarters

Capturing horses?

Re-reading Shelby Foote, I notice battles after which the winner reports, not only how many enemy were taken captive and how many guns and supplies, but also how many horses. That might add a nice flavor of historicity.

Post #: 539
RE: Wish List - 1/25/2007 2:41:01 PM   
General Quarters

Province names:

I would like to be able to change the name of some provinces to ones more familiar to me. In particular, I would like the city-river provinces to be named after the cities so I would not have to remember which part of the Ohio Louisville is said to be on, or which of the two rivers St. Louis is on.

Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Wish List Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI