Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Legendary Units changes?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Legendary Units changes? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Legendary Units changes? - 1/14/2007 9:52:47 PM   
Gil R.

In the upcoming patch I'd like to fix any errors or dumb choices in the data file for the so-called "Legendary Units." For example, it was pointed out that I made Hood's Texas Brigade a cavalry unit, when it shouldn't be. Also, Florida's Cow Cavalry has a useless special ability, which needs to be changed. What else? Do any of the units have attributes or abilities that don't make sense? Or, can you think of any attributes or abilities that really should be there (e.g., a unit famous for a charge should get "Chargers")? (Note: For some units, I assigned a special ability of -1, which has the computer select randomly. So if you're playing and see that a unit from Georgia has "Polar Bears" it's probably a case of a random ability.)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 1/14/2007 10:05:17 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/14/2007 10:09:55 PM   
ericbabe

While we're at it, are there any special requests for new legendary units?  The hardest part on these is writing the biographies and researching appropriate special abilities, but if there are any legendary units that people really wish were in the game, we (by which I mean, Gil) may have enough time to add a dozen or so new units in the next game update.  If possible, please provide links to articles with information...

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 2
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/14/2007 11:10:39 PM   
TimoN

Give them special abilities that no other brigade can have. Now any brigade can have similar abilities by training. With unique special abilities, legendary brigades would be worth more to have.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 3
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/14/2007 11:49:10 PM   
will b

Not sure if anything can be done about this or not but is there a setting to specify which theater that the units would be generated?  

It just seems wrong to have the Stonewall Brigade show up as one of the initial units in the CSA division in NW Arkansas during the 11/61 scenario.

(in reply to TimoN)
Post #: 4
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/15/2007 12:47:44 AM   
Gil R.

If you build a new unit it always appears in the state that the unit was from. What's happening here is that when the game begins it randomly chooses some LU's to start with, and isn't distinguishing.

I'll see how hard it would be for Eric to program it so that starter LU's appear in the theater where their state is located.

(in reply to will b)
Post #: 5
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/15/2007 3:59:26 AM   
ericbabe

The game actually does internally divide provinces into theaters (for the AI...) so we might be able to assign theater numbers to legendary units and start random ones only in the appropriate theater.  Hardest part would be assigning the theater numbers, the programming wouldn't be that hard.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/15/2007 4:05:33 AM   
Erik Rutins

I'd also like to see them be theater specific and ideally also have a date before which they aren't part of the random pool, so that brigades that only showed up later in the war don't appear in the early game.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 7
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/15/2007 6:24:38 AM   
tevans6220

How about legendary units that actually earn their status on the battlefield? Maybe some type of report could show that they earned legendary status and then let the user name the unit from a given list. I would also suggest taking all regiments/batteries off the list since this is a brigade level game. Having regiments mixed in with brigades seems kind of odd.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 8
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/15/2007 6:39:20 AM   
jack616

Meaning that the legendary units are based upon the in game actions/results?  I think thats a terrific option if not too hard to implement, kind of keep a running tally of unit achievements...reach a certain number or value and the unit becomes legendary.  I like that.

I also think though, thats a certain number of "automatic" legendary units is good...mirroring in some ways the historical makeup, etc of the actual unit.

(in reply to tevans6220)
Post #: 9
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/15/2007 10:11:46 PM   
christof139

Good ideas you have. Let units earn LS and only have a few named units with LS already in the game.

Chris

(in reply to jack616)
Post #: 10
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/16/2007 10:08:08 PM   
freeboy

How about a bone for us non hystorical buffs? and have a randum legendary units toggle? just a thougtht

(in reply to christof139)
Post #: 11
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/16/2007 11:52:50 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

How about a bone for us non hystorical buffs? and have a randum legendary units toggle? just a thougtht

I'm not sure what you're describing.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 12
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/19/2007 6:47:17 PM   
helop5

1. I would also love to see some units become legendary status--(i.e. maybe a boost in their status as a result) based upon performance.

2. I saw the Terry's Texas Ranger's flag, but no legendary unit (maybe I am missing it), but I would love to see them in the game. Here is a helpful website...http://www.terrystexasrangers.org/

3. Also, as I have mentioned earlier...I would like to see historical units come about through mustering, conscription, or even a random historical event generating them. Unfortunately, I find that creating units for the South happens rarely in my games and that most of my new brigades come from mustering or conscription.

I love having the historical units in the game...kudos to the development team.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 13
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/19/2007 7:41:10 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: helop5

1. I would also love to see some units become legendary status--(i.e. maybe a boost in their status as a result) based upon performance.

2. I saw the Terry's Texas Ranger's flag, but no legendary unit (maybe I am missing it), but I would love to see them in the game. Here is a helpful website...http://www.terrystexasrangers.org/

3. Also, as I have mentioned earlier...I would like to see historical units come about through mustering, conscription, or even a random historical event generating them. Unfortunately, I find that creating units for the South happens rarely in my games and that most of my new brigades come from mustering or conscription.

not all of the units show up at the same time, or even in the same game, there is a chance that when a unit is made, it will be a LU, if from the right state

(in reply to helop5)
Post #: 14
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/20/2007 3:02:12 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: helop5

Terry's Texas Rangers are in the game. They don't have a historically accurate flag assigned when they appear. (None of the LU's do.)

I had thought that LU's only appear when one purchases a unit and shared this mistaken belief with the forum, but Eric tells me that they can appear when mustering or conscripting. So, you already have your wish...

(in reply to helop5)
Post #: 15
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/20/2007 8:12:03 PM   
ericbabe

It's not too much work for us to add more legendary units; the hardest part is writing the biography.  If there are any units that people think should be on the list but that aren't there, please let us know which units you might like to see added to the game, and if possible provide a link to some information on them.

If enough people don't like having brigades named after legendary regiments, it is possible to modify the data file to remove the regimental legendary units, though frankly it wouldn't leave us with that many legendary brigades, as there were far more famous regiments than brigades from the Civil War.

Here's the list of legendary units we have right now; 1=USA, 2=CSA:

Crazy_Delawares 1 Scotch_Regiment 1 Chicago_Irish_Brigade 1 Brains_Regiment 1 Rock_River_Rifles 1 Fremont's_Rifles 1 Leadmine_Regiment 1 Blind_Half_Hundred 1 Yates'_Sharpshooters 1 Preacher_Regiment 1 Chicago_B.O.T._Reg. 1 Chicago_Merc._Battery 1 Lightning_Brigade 1 Wallace's_Zouaves 1 First_Irish_Regiment 1 Jackass_Regiment 1 Temperance_Regiment 1 Graybeards_Regiment 1 Curtis_Horse 1 Louisville_Legion 1 Wild_Riders 1 Blanket_Brigade 1 Irish_Ninth 1 Harvard_Regiment 1 54th_Mass._Inf._Reg. 1 California_100 1 Fighting_Fifth 1 Wandering_Regiment 1 Mich._Stonewall_Reg. 1 Minn._First_Volunteers 1 N.H._Mountaineers 1 Olden_Legion 1 Jersey_Cavaliers 1 N.J._Butterflies 1 Irish_Brigade 1 Ellsworth's_Avengers 1 N.Y._Highlanders 1 Rocket_Battalion 1 Black_Swamp_Boys 1 Persimmon_Regiment 1 Greyhound_Regiment 1 Philadelphia_Brigade 1 California_Regiment 1 Penn._Bucktails 1 Keystone_Zouaves 1 Roundheads 1 Cameron's_Dragoons 1 Old_Vermont_Brigade 1 Iron_Brigade 1 Eagle_Regiment 1 Marching_Twelfth 1 Magnolia_Regiment 2 Tattered_Volunteers 2 Ragged_Volunteers 2 Burr_Tailed_Regiment 2 Jeff_Davis_Battery 2 Invincible_Guards 2 Yell_Rifles 2 Pulaski_Lancers 2 Cow_Cavalry 2 Cox's_Wildcats 2 Oglethorpe_Rifles 2 Sumter_Flying_Artillery 2 Orphan_Brigade 2 Coppens'_La._Zouaves 2 Pelican_Rifles 2 Tirailleurs 2 Irish_Rifles 2 Wheat's_Tigers 2 Lee's_Foreign_Legion 2 Chasseurs_St._Jacques 2 Crescent_Regiment 2 Yellow_Jacket_Battalion 2 Wingfield's_Cavalry 2 European_Brigade 2 Corinth_Rifles 2 Lauderdale_Zouaves 2 Bethel_Regiment 2 Bloody_Sixth 2 Pee_Dee_Guards 2 Tramp_Brigade 2 Palmetto_Sharpshooters 2 Pound_Cake_Regiment 2 Hampton's_Legion 2 Palmetto_Battalion 2 Bell's_Brigade 2 Hood's_Texas_Brigade 2 Ragged_Old_First 2 2nd_Texas_Sharpshooters 2 Terry's_Texas_Rangers 2 Arizona_Brigade 2 Stonewall_Brigade 2 Laurel_Brigade 2 Gamecock_Brigade 2 Old_First 2 Bloody_Eighth 2 Extra_Billy_Smith's_Boys 2 White's_Comanches 2 Pelham’s_Horse_Art. 2 Rockbridge_Artillery 2 Richmond_Howitzers 2 Berdan's_Sharpshooters 1

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 16
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/20/2007 8:36:04 PM   
Gil R.

It's disheartening to see many weeks of work on my part compressed into a midsize paragraph like that. I wish you had listed them vertically, so that they would scroll off the screen.

I am now "shaken" and my morale is dropping. And I think I will start drinking now and go out of command for a time...

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 1/20/2007 8:48:38 PM >

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 17
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/20/2007 8:50:27 PM   
Walloc

First off, I like the LU's. I fine em nice chrome.

I had thought that LU's only appear when one purchases a unit and shared this mistaken belief with the forum, but Eric tells me that they can appear when mustering or conscripting. So, you already have your wish...

Then i'd say there is a bug. I have in 1000+ Conscripted units never ever seen a LU. I get 1 in every 4 or 5 on purchased. So i wont say it cant happen, it just doesnt

Yes i did say 1000+, in one test game US side i got to brigade number 300'ish, all but initial forces, conscripted and i have finnished more games alrdy than im rdy to admite

Kind Regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 1/20/2007 9:08:17 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 18
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/20/2007 11:24:34 PM   
Gil R.

Interesting. My assumption had been based on never having seen a LU appear when I was mustering or conscripting, and this seemed logical, in that (to my thinking, at any rate) one should have to pay a price to get a superior unit. So, has anyone seen this happen, or does it not work?

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 19
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/20/2007 11:34:26 PM   
chris0827

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Interesting. My assumption had been based on never having seen a LU appear when I was mustering or conscripting, and this seemed logical, in that (to my thinking, at any rate) one should have to pay a price to get a superior unit. So, has anyone seen this happen, or does it not work?

I have gotten legendary units from conscription.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 20
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/21/2007 12:07:53 AM   
Walloc

Hi,

Naturally, if Chris has seen it and he is sure it, then it can happen. Non the less just ran a few test games, doing nothing but conscripting. 500+ CSA and 500+ USA units produced not a single LU. 

So doesnt happen in my games.

Kind Regards,

Rasmus

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 21
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/21/2007 10:16:08 AM   
sven6345789

please leave the LU regiments in the game!

< Message edited by sven6345789 -- 1/21/2007 10:28:14 AM >

Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 22
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/22/2007 10:38:45 PM   
Gil R.

I'm glad that people like them -- we were very proud to come up with this idea, which we don't remember seeing in any previous game.

We'll certainly add more, though not for this next patch (for which generals' bios and improved ratings/start dates are my primary focus).

(in reply to sven6345789)
Post #: 23
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/23/2007 12:20:21 AM   
freeboy

Gil, sorry if my post was cryptic, I mean it would be nice to have a switch, on /off, enabling us to randumize the legendary units...

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 24
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/23/2007 4:19:38 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

Gil, sorry if my post was cryptic, I mean it would be nice to have a switch, on /off, enabling us to randumize the legendary units...

You're still cryptic. How can they be made random? They seem one of the less randomizable parts of the game.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 25
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/23/2007 2:09:14 PM   
helop5

Obviously, from my post above, I also have mustered and conscripted most of my troops and have never seen a LU appear via these means.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 26
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/23/2007 2:09:55 PM   
helop5

By the way...I also love the idea of LU. It is one of my favorite aspects of the game detail.

(in reply to helop5)
Post #: 27
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/23/2007 6:28:03 PM   
Callahan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

While we're at it, are there any special requests for new legendary units?  The hardest part on these is writing the biographies and researching appropriate special abilities, but if there are any legendary units that people really wish were in the game, we (by which I mean, Gil) may have enough time to add a dozen or so new units in the next game update.  If possible, please provide links to articles with information...

Usually I don`t post here (don`t have the game, yet), but since nobody has proposed any new LUs so far, I might as well toss some in (Sorry, Union only. They`re mostly from William Fox`s: "Regimental losses in the American Civil War")

Brigades:

First New Jersey Brigade
Excelsior Brigade
Iowa Brigade
Custer`s Wolverines
Star Brigade

Regiments:

"Rochester Regiment" (8th New York Cavalry)
"Porter Guard" (10th New York Cavalry)
"Duryee Zouaves" (5th New York Infantry)
"Garibaldi Guard" (39th New York Infantry)
"Mozart Regiment" (40th New York Infantry)
"Tammany Regiment" (42nd New York Infantry)
"Albany Rifles" (43rd New York Infantry)
"Perry`s Saints" (48th New York Infantry)
"Shepard Rifles" (51st New York Infantry)
"German Rangers" (52nd New York Infantry)
"d`Epineuil Zouaves" (53rd New York Infantry)
"Lafayette Guards" (55th New York Infantry)
"Clinton Guard" (61st New York Infantry)
"Ulster Guard" (80th New York Infantry)
"Steuben Rangers" (86th New York Infantry)
"Morgan Rifles" (93rd New York Infantry)
"Iron Hearts" (115th New York Infantry)
"Orange Blossoms" (124th New York Infantry)
"Baxter Zouaves" (72nd Pennsylvania Infantry)
"Corn Exchange Regiment" (118th Pennsylvania Infantry)
"First German Regiment" (32nd Indiana Infantry)
"Yates Phalanx" (39th Illinois Infantry)
"Railroad Regiment" (89th Illinois Infantry)
First Michigan Sharpshooters
"Swiss Rifles" (15th Missouri Infantry)
"Teachers` Regiment" (33rd Illinois Infantry & 151st Pennsylvania Infantry)

Fox provides a short biography for most of these regiments, so they shouldn`t be too big a problem...

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 28
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/23/2007 7:05:24 PM   
Drex

I think you can get Fox's regimental Losses on CD for $70.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to Callahan)
Post #: 29
RE: Legendary Units changes? - 1/23/2007 7:22:29 PM   
chris0827

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drex

I think you can get Fox's regimental Losses on CD for $70.

You can get the actual book for $30. Dyer's compendium is available on CD for $40. Both cover the union side. There's also a series called the Compendium of the Confederate Armies but it's out of print and some volumes are very expensive. I was able to get the Louisiana and Virginia volumes fairly cheaply. The $70 one you are thinking of is probably the 128 volume Official Records of the War of the rebellionThere's also a 30 volume Offical Naval records of the War of the Rebellion.

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Legendary Units changes? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI