Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

NFL playoff thoughts

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> The Red Zone! >> NFL playoff thoughts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NFL playoff thoughts - 1/14/2007 6:18:38 PM   
firebirds

Not surprised that the Colts beat the Ravens but I was surprised that the Colts D played so well for the second week in a row. I think I heard less than 150 rushing yards allowed in the playoffs. Now that we have all the D starters back that can come back I believe that we will see the true Colts D plus what their special teams are really capable of. We have had a handfull of vital D players hurt off and on all year. They are finally playing together as a complete unit. With back ups having to start on D you have 3rd stringers making up special teams which has been a problem for us all year. Now if I could just come up with a sound explanation for the O not producing as we are used to.

If the Saints aren't the ulitmate surprise team this year I don't know who is. It took me most of the season to realise they are for real. I picked them to win and they did, could they be Super Bowl bound for the first time??
Post #: 1
RE: NFL playoff thoughts - 1/14/2007 6:38:57 PM   
Great White

firebirds,

You should have bet on The Colts then, because even the experts in Las Vegas strongly put their money behind Baltimore Ravens. I hated both Franchises because they are either the franchises of Relocation (Baltimore to Indianapolis Colts and Cleveland Browns to Baltimore Ravens); but I hated The Indianapolis Colts the most, so there was no way I was rooting for Indianapolis. They could have 53-Univ. of Miami Players and I would have rooted against them. However, I will tell you this, if The San Diego Chargers lose to the England Patriots (like I expect), then I see Indianapolis Colts beating The England Patriots on their way to and winning The Super Bowl.

I think the same can be said of The New Orleans Saints, if The Chicago Bears beat The Seattle Seahawks, The New Orleans Saints will sneak past* The Chicago Bears. However, there no scenerio where I can see The New Orleans Saints winning The Super Bowl. There is no doubt The New Orleans Saints' regular-Season results where surprising, but who could not see The New Orleans Saints beating The Philadelphia Eagles?

*-That is they do not decide to give tempermental RB Reggie Bush the ball, just to get him the ball, instead red hot and better all-around RB Duece McAluster (sp?).

Thank you. Not racist/favorite animal. Hate Madden/NCAA/Industry is behind. Past-coach/player/sports radio/referee, now-private: teacher/coach/owner-Great White's Sports Association-FootBall/Rugby/Lacrosse, planned-late ‘2010. Student/industry person? PM

(in reply to firebirds)
Post #: 2
RE: NFL playoff thoughts - 1/15/2007 2:49:07 PM   
firebirds

Who so much dislike for the Colts? I can assume that it is because of the "dead of night" so called escape they made leaving Baltimore. It might serve you well to do some research to learn what Baltimore and/or the state of Maryland did to force Mr. Irsay to do what he did the way he did it.

(in reply to Great White)
Post #: 3
RE: NFL playoff thoughts - 1/15/2007 6:14:45 PM   
firebirds

Great White, thank you so much for your wonderful private message. Yes I did do my own “research” regarding many of your view points so I’m well aware of your thoughts of team relocation and your distaste of same. I’m also aware of some of your thoughts regarding politicians, government intervention, government control, bureaucracy and those who lie. I would bet the farm you did not do as I asked in doing some of your own research regarding “The Move” of the Baltimore Colts to Indianapolis. I think that if you did, your private message might have held a different content. And if you did do a little digging into the issue then I’m even more confused about what you believe than ever.

Why don’t you let me help you out just a little bit. Here is a very good piece on the issue. Granted it is a long read but I believe those who read it in its entirety will see that the root cause of “The Move” was seeded long before Mr. Irsay even owned the team.

http://members.tripod.com/~bonesaw/records6.htm

If after reading the item, if you do, and you still believe “The Move” was an act of abandonment to the city of Baltimore, the state of Maryland and chasing the all might buck rather than trying to preserve ownership of one’s own private business, then sir I must say that IMHO you don’t believe in everything you say you do.

(in reply to firebirds)
Post #: 4
RE: NFL playoff thoughts - 1/15/2007 6:44:29 PM   
Great White

This is off-topic of this discussion that is why I PMed you the reply.

Thank you. Not racist/favorite animal. Hate Madden/NCAA/Industry is behind. Past-coach/player/sports radio/referee, now-private: teacher/coach/owner-Great White's Sports Association-FootBall/Rugby/Lacrosse, planned-late ‘2010. Student/industry person? PM

(in reply to firebirds)
Post #: 5
RE: NFL playoff thoughts - 1/15/2007 8:40:09 PM   
jrodsly

the comedic stylings of Great White.

Back from the dead, I'm here to make ammends with the people I've ticked off and the people that were nice enough to make stuff I requested.

(in reply to Great White)
Post #: 6
RE: NFL playoff thoughts - 1/15/2007 9:01:56 PM   
Great White

After watching The NFL's Divisional Playoff's weekend, I have two-observations.I wonder what you guys think?

First, Seattle HC Mike Holmgren's 4th down and short run lost the game. He should have punted and pinned Chicago Bears deep inside their 20-yard line. Letting their defense hold them (after all that was exactly what was happening during those few minutes, before and after that play) and get the ball back around the same position with enough time to score and win the game, leaving little to no time left for Chicago Bears' offense.

Second, The '2006 Playoff defenses are light years ahead of all The Playoff QBs, except Drew Brees, QBs have looked terrible.

(in reply to jrodsly)
Post #: 7
RE: NFL playoff thoughts - 1/15/2007 9:03:22 PM   
firebirds

Great White, I really don’t think this is off topic. The thread is NFL playoff thoughts. I talked about my thoughts of the Colts in the playoffs and you replied with a comment of how much you dislike the Colts the most because they moved from Baltimore. Ok, maybe my suggestion to do some research about “The Move” was condescending and if you received it as such I apologize, that was not my intention.

For many years I too believed that Mr. Irsay moved to Indianapolis for many of the same reasons that teams moved prior to and after his move. It wasn’t until this past season that learned the entire story and it is very interesting. I’m a big fan of football and the NFL in particular. I thoroughly enjoy learning the history of the league and that of the teams. I also like to share my knowledge with others and learn from them as well.

The reason I provided the link rather than return your private messages was for 2 reasons. Both of which are not as you stated in your second private message, that being to try to convince people beyond you. If you decide not to participate as you stated in your second private message that of course is your right to do so. I do think it is a bit harsh of you to tell me to “preach your garbage to someone else” though. Just trying to share some knowledge, not preach anything to anybody or convince you of anything.

One reason for posting the link rather than replying to your private messages was to share some information about “The Move” that many people may not know. Broken promises of politicians, not made to just the Colts but also the Orioles, for many years and emanate domain are what we are talking about. The second reason for posting the link rather than replying to your private messages is that it takes an extreme set of circumstances for me to need to communicate with a member of a message board where I don’t want my comments seen by everybody and this particular situation isn’t one of them.

(in reply to jrodsly)
Post #: 8
RE: NFL playoff thoughts - 1/15/2007 11:52:07 PM   
Lucas718

quote:

ORIGINAL: firebirds

Great White, thank you so much for your wonderful private message. Yes I did do my own “research” regarding many of your view points so I’m well aware of your thoughts of team relocation and your distaste of same. I’m also aware of some of your thoughts regarding politicians, government intervention, government control, bureaucracy and those who lie. I would bet the farm you did not do as I asked in doing some of your own research regarding “The Move” of the Baltimore Colts to Indianapolis. I think that if you did, your private message might have held a different content. And if you did do a little digging into the issue then I’m even more confused about what you believe than ever.

Why don’t you let me help you out just a little bit. Here is a very good piece on the issue. Granted it is a long read but I believe those who read it in its entirety will see that the root cause of “The Move” was seeded long before Mr. Irsay even owned the team.

http://members.tripod.com/~bonesaw/records6.htm

If after reading the item, if you do, and you still believe “The Move” was an act of abandonment to the city of Baltimore, the state of Maryland and chasing the all might buck rather than trying to preserve ownership of one’s own private business, then sir I must say that IMHO you don’t believe in everything you say you do.

Thanks for posting the link to that article. I grew up a Colts fan in Baltimore, lived & died with them each Sunday, and cried like a baby in March 1984 when they packed up and moved away.

I had heard all the stories about Irsay being a drunk madman who promised he would never move the team. In fact I heard all those stories dredged up again this past week. In Baltimore the name Irsay is synonymous with Hitler. I still believe that, but unlike most of the former Baltimore Colts fans I'd always believed there was more to the story than what gets reported in the local media. I'd heard about how the local government failed to do what was needed to keep the team in town, but rarely do those stories ever get told in Baltimore. I don't know how much of what this writer says is the truth, and I could have done without his condescending tone, but it was an interesting read. I realized that for 23 years I've only been hearing one version of the story.

It's easy to say "get over it" but for anyone who was here, we will never get over it. Even now, 23 years later, when I see the familiar blue & white take the field I get reminded of the old days of Sundays at 2:00pm. But things change and we've got the Ravens now and I love them as much I did the Colts of my youth. Anyway, congrats to the Colts & their fans for their win on Saturday and good luck the rest of the way. I can't say I'll be rooting for you though.

< Message edited by Lucas718 -- 1/16/2007 12:07:28 AM >

(in reply to firebirds)
Post #: 9
RE: NFL playoff thoughts - 1/16/2007 2:05:48 AM   
Shaggyra

4 good games this past weekend.

I think the Bears will beat the Saints 31 to 21 and the Colts will beat the Patriots 17 to 13.

Then the Bears beat the Colts  21 to 17 in the Superbowl.

(in reply to Lucas718)
Post #: 10
RE: NFL playoff thoughts - 1/16/2007 2:37:45 AM   
firebirds

Lucas718, thank you for taking the time to read the link. Even after reading your reply I respect your opinion and appreciate the position that the Baltimore fans were left with. The reason being we (my daughter and I) experienced a similar situation, granted not with the history of the Baltimore Colts. Were were season ticket holders of the Indiana Firebirds (Arena Football League) which relocated from Albany, New York (hence my user name) for 3 years. We bled orange and were on a first name basis of many of the players, front office people, mascot and cheerleaders. We often came across them in and about town and took a real good feeling in that after a 10 minute conversation with them we realized that we talked about everything except football. Well the short version of my story is that I caught up with the owner of the team after the very last home game we ever had during a post game victory party. I asked him about the rumor going around that the Firebirds were looking to relocate and what the truth was to that rumor. He looked me in the eye and said that the Firebirds weren't going anywhere and that they most definately would be around for the next season. Well as you can probably guess they weren't and we have been without an AFL ever since.

Again thank you for taking the time to read the link I provided, even though it probably wasn't of any new information to you. And I hope that the others that do read it take it for what it was intended, basically just some knowledge about the Colts history.

(in reply to Shaggyra)
Post #: 11
RE: NFL playoff thoughts - 1/16/2007 2:45:34 AM   
firebirds

Hey Shaggyra, I have to disagree with you on the Bears game I'm sure that I'm going on stupid blind faith here but the New Orleans feel good story is just too sweet for me to go against the Saints. I agree that the Colts could/should beat the Patriots here at home and even if I'm wrong on either/both games my prediction is that the winner of the Super Bowl will come from the AFC. I do know that down town Indy will be a mad-house all game day and if we do win I sure hope the city partyers have enough class not to "riot", if you know what I mean.

(in reply to firebirds)
Post #: 12
RE: NFL playoff thoughts - 1/19/2007 3:29:26 PM   
firebirds

Boy let me tell you Indy sure is up for this game. Downtown has all the tall buildings leaving certain office lights on at night, blue in color of course, that form the shape of a huge horse shoe. The shorter buildings have changed all their spot/flood lights from traditional white to blue, flags, banners and posters everywhere. People downtown are wearing their colors 24/7. They are even projecting season high-light tapes on the sides of some buildings. Seems that there is some sort of pep-rally somewhere every afternoon and evening. The new stadium is far enough along that it doesn't look like just a hole in the ground. Hopefully those from out of town will enjoy some Hoosier hospitality and if they are Patriot fans leave with a frown on their face

(in reply to firebirds)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> The Red Zone! >> NFL playoff thoughts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI