Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Will Not Launch the Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Will Not Launch the Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Will Not Launch the Game - 1/15/2007 8:40:58 AM   
TNVA

Bought and downloaded the game on 1/15/07. Installed it.
I click the shortcut and it brings up the menu. I click play on the menu and get the load screen. I hear the sounds, including the musket load sequence. Watch the bar fill up at bottom of load screen. Bar fills up. Hear the "Fire" command. Then...poof! Back to the menu.

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+,
Memory: 1GB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c
RADEON 9600 (Driver Date 12/16/2006)
Realtek AC97 Audio (Driver Date12/29/2006)

Edit: If I launch "quick start" it does the same thing except, since there is no menu, it crashed to desktop.

< Message edited by TNVA -- 1/15/2007 9:35:36 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Will Not Launch the Game - 1/15/2007 3:43:17 PM   
ericbabe

Unfortunately 64 bit processors aren't supported.  XP64 isn't quite perfectly compatible with XP and FOF seems to have some issues running under XP64.

(in reply to TNVA)
Post #: 2
RE: Will Not Launch the Game - 1/15/2007 5:27:00 PM   
TNVA

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

Unfortunately 64 bit processors aren't supported. XP64 isn't quite perfectly compatible with XP and FOF seems to have some issues running under XP64.

Pray tell me where it states the game does not support AMD64. Here are the advertised requirements:

quote:

* Minimum System Requirements
* Windows 2000 / XP
* 500 MHz CPU
* 1GB RAM (512MB for low animation)
* 32 MB Video Card, DirectX 7 Compatible
* Sound Card (Windows XP Compatible)
* 1GB Hard Drive space
* CD-Rom
* DirectX 7+
* Adobe® Flash® Player 8+ (for intro screen only)

My system meets all the advertised requirements. Furthermore, I have had the system for two years and run about 100 applications on it, to include about 30 games. I have never experienced the "compatibility" problem you mention.

I strongly recommend you explicitly let your potential customers know the game will not support AMD64 processors.

How do I cancel my order?

Edit: To be clear, I'm running Standard Windows XP Home (32 bit OS) with an AMD 64, like millions of other consumers. I am not running Microsoft's 64 bit OS.

If you can verify AMD64 is compatible running with XP Home (32 bit) we can punt and start over again.

Edit 2: Post me an ini file with sound disabled and I'll try it.

< Message edited by TNVA -- 1/15/2007 8:53:45 PM >

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 3
RE: Will Not Launch the Game - 1/16/2007 2:00:13 AM   
TNVA

Problem fixed.

It took me about four hours of testing, but the ultimate culprit seemed to be something in Adobe Flash. The nasty part is Flash was working in my browser, and Adobe's own site validated the operation. Go figure. I was shooting in the dark.

I browsed around the video files and looked at your swf files. I guessed (correctly) that these would be the first ones displayed after the load menu and checked 'em out. The ".swf" file type was not recognized. Hmmh?

[Note for FAQ or tech support. The point of failure I described is (in hindsight for me, but foresight for the developer)the first point flash is exercised. Failure at that point should at least consider the possibility of a Flash failure, and should be covered in your FAQ or release notes, along with a simple check like I've described here; does the system recognize the swf filetype?].

The crazy part is Flash was working in Firefox browser. I also ran the flash check on Adobe's site, and it gave me a thumbs up. So simply having Adobe verify the Flash is not sufficient. I assigned the swf file to Firefox, it recognized it and played it. When I ran the FoF program, it still crashed. So I decided to assign the swf file to IE, and I got an unrecognized error. So I figure, "what the hell", even though I don't use IE, I would update anyway. I updated to IE7. Lo and behold, the first site I go to triggers the Flash install for IE7. I click "OK"; it didn't seem like much happened, but I notice IE7 playing flash content. I then assign the FoF swf files to IE, and it recognized it.

I ran FoF again, and to my amazement it passed from load menu to the flash main menu...it was WORKING!

I'm good to go....

< Message edited by TNVA -- 1/16/2007 2:12:56 AM >

(in reply to TNVA)
Post #: 4
RE: Will Not Launch the Game - 1/16/2007 3:12:23 AM   
Erik Rutins

TNVA,

quote:

ORIGINAL: TNVA
Pray tell me where it states the game does not support AMD64. Here are the advertised requirements:

I think Eric misunderstood and thought you were running the 64-bit version of Windows, which does have compatibility issues. 64-bit processors work fine in my experience.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to TNVA)
Post #: 5
RE: Will Not Launch the Game - 1/16/2007 3:13:48 AM   
Erik Rutins

TNVA,

quote:

ORIGINAL: TNVA
Problem fixed.
It took me about four hours of testing, but the ultimate culprit seemed to be something in Adobe Flash. The nasty part is Flash was working in my browser, and Adobe's own site validated the operation. Go figure. I was shooting in the dark.

Thank you for the detailed information and for being willing to troubleshoot this yourself and report back. We are indeed using a version of Flash for the main game screen, so a problem with your Flash installation could mess that up. This is the first such Flash issue we've had reported but we'll keep that info handy if this comes up again.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to TNVA)
Post #: 6
RE: Will Not Launch the Game - 2/10/2007 10:21:31 PM   
dolphinsfan9910

I had this problem. I found that if you hit the windows button the screen closes and you hit the cascad on the bottom, it pops up with whatever screen you should be on.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Will Not Launch the Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI