Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pre-patch tactic to deal with Spain

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> The War Room >> Pre-patch tactic to deal with Spain Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pre-patch tactic to deal with Spain - 1/5/2007 6:57:20 PM   
paulhager

As others have discussed, under the current patch, Spain always joins the Axis, which has the effect of severly compromising the WA's ability to conduct operations in the Med.

Given the above, in a game against the AI (normal, FOW, all advance supply rules), I decided to attack Spain. This involved taking out Portugal with the UK on the F39 turn, and using the UK + France to take out Spain on the W40 turn. France is always going to fall on the Sp40 turn no matter what so weakening the defenses had no effect. Moreover, there is no way for the Germans to effectively exploit into Spain on the Sp40 turn.

What I expected to happen was that the German AI would repair the rail in WFrance, pour in reinforcements and take Spain in the S40 turn - there's clearly no way the UK can hold it. I figured I'd be no worse off and, without those additional Spanish forces plus the light fleet, actually considerably better off.

Surprisingly, the German AI gave me a turn's grace so I bombed WFrance rail and began to slowly reinforce and repair the Spanish infrastructure. And the AI left me alone! Clearly the AI is scripted to prepare for the attack on the Soviets, and will attack in the Med if it can, but it the possibility of attacking an Allied Spain is something it doesn't consider. This is pretty strange behavior because I'm pretty sure that in a previous game I did the equivalent of the Normandy Invasion into Spain sometime in '43 and the AI counterattacked rather smartly.

The end result of the Game was that the AI never molested my growing Spanish bridgehead and attacked the Soviets on schedule. I was able to put so much pressure on the German position in France that the AI made only minimal progress against the Soviets. Eventually, I was able to attack out of Spain and take both WFrance and SFrance. The me and the Soviet AI, Germany capitulated in F43!

This suggests that before the new patch is released, some attention should be given to this tactic by the WA player. I'd prefer to see the AI react agressively rather than prevent the French from attacking.
Post #: 1
RE: Pre-patch tactic to deal with Spain - 1/17/2007 2:44:48 AM   
HardRock

I agree. I didn't understand why Spain was German (pro axis or German attack?) but I figured I had no recourse but to take it back, which I did. I even took Western France from there but got repulsed the next turn. I too noticed it is making a difference with the AI on the Eastern front.

So..in the future I would probably attack Spain also.

(in reply to paulhager)
Post #: 2
RE: Pre-patch tactic to deal with Spain - 1/17/2007 3:39:03 AM   
Joel Billings

We made a change to make the AI more aggressive early on if Spain is attacked by the Allies. It should be in the next patch (not the 1.010 that is in the Members club now and hopefully will be out soon). We don't have a date yet on when the next patch is likely to be available.

(in reply to HardRock)
Post #: 3
RE: Pre-patch tactic to deal with Spain - 1/17/2007 7:38:59 PM   
christian brown

quote:

(1.010 that is in the Members club now)

OK, how do I get this-I cannot find the patch after 1.08??????
Please put the correct link here.

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 4
RE: Pre-patch tactic to deal with Spain - 1/17/2007 9:11:14 PM   
kondor

login here as member (of course if you are one), then go to registered downloads and there it is...

(in reply to christian brown)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> The War Room >> Pre-patch tactic to deal with Spain Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI