Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question for Shaun re future of pbp

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Question for Shaun re future of pbp Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/10/2007 6:10:48 PM   
baseballfan99

Shaun, what are you planning to do with the pbp in PS 2008? Do you plan on adding or upgrading/updating the pbp? It seems that myself along with many others would like to see this part of the game improved. Game functionality is awesome, but this is one area that I hope will be expanded upon.
Post #: 1
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/10/2007 7:30:00 PM   
puresimmer

I am thinking about it, but to be honest, I'm not a big fan of PBP. I like to play the game at a brisk pace and watch the ball flight / play result.

I'm not sure there are really that many people interested in better PBP. I get the sense its a vocal minority.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to baseballfan99)
Post #: 2
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/10/2007 7:54:16 PM   
PadresFan104

I resemble that remark!

Ok, I've been spending some time in the "off-season" bouncing between some different baseball games. Even with it's sparse, yet functional, play by play, I keep coming back to PureSim. Since Shuan is a proponent of lean PbP, with an emphasis on watching the play result instead, I'll throw out these ideas. If these were to be incorporated, I may just shut up about the PbP.

#1 - Add just a little variability to the PbP that is already there. Maybe a fould ball could be dropped every once in a while? Maybe some crazy plays that only happen once a season? Most importantly, just add some different text around spectacular plays or plays that the player should have made.

#2 - Add audio scripting ability to the Ballparks. I could see myself spending hours making custom audio sounds for different ballparks. Mostly HR calls, but maybe other things as well.

#3 - Change the GameCast screen around to make it easier on ballpark creators like me. My biggest problem is that most photos from ballparks have home plate at the bottom of the photo. Because of where the PbP is displayed, that means that I have to edit the photo to move home plate up, which usually involves cutting off an inch of the top of the photo, and adding an inch of black to the bottom. You can't deny that people love installing the different ballparks.

And yes, I know that you can move the windows around, and I made a set of ballparks this way for the 2006 version, but I still prefer the look of the image taking up the entire screen.

#4 - Custom scoreboards. The GameCast scoreboard is outdated. Give it a facelift, or even better, make it "skinable". This is something else I could spend hours on.

#5 - Borrow some ideas from another game where the "fielders" (their names) actually move to make a play on the ball. Show the ball being thrown from SS to 1st on a 4-3 play... This may go against your "brisk" requirement, so that's why I put this last.

And for everyone reading. Yes, I still want Shaun to spend time on other aspects of the game that will make it more challenging and realistic for GM players. I'm just not very "smart" in those areas, so I focus my rants on what I know.

PadresFan's Text Sim Mod Website: http://www.padresfanmods.net
Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/padresfanmods

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 3
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/10/2007 8:32:29 PM   
Fouts

I like a brisk pace with the PBP, too.  Allowing people to add some PBP would be cool.  An out of town scoreboard would be sweet, but probably more work than its worth.

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 4
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/11/2007 12:38:15 AM   
kentcol

More and more detailed PBP please! More detailed PBP to me makes it more immersive.

(in reply to Fouts)
Post #: 5
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/11/2007 2:07:55 AM   
PadresFan104

The vocal minority raises it's voice again!!

Seriously though. I think might be a little silly to call those of us asking for expanded PbP a "vocal minority". It's not like we have 100's of people posting here to begin with, so if only 10 people ask for it, I think that qualifies as more than a minority...

Shaun - I propose that you create a poll, asking all of us to rank potential new features for the 2008 game. Make us decide what is most important to us. You can use this information or ignore it, but at least you'll know where we stand and what we want to see in the game in the coming versions...

(in reply to kentcol)
Post #: 6
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/11/2007 3:04:29 AM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: PadresFan104

Seriously though. I think might be a little silly to call those of us asking for expanded PbP a "vocal minority". It's not like we have 100's of people posting here to begin with, so if only 10 people ask for it, I think that qualifies as more than a minority...

You are missing the point. There are a lot more than 10 people playing PureSim. Only the most rabid and compelled fans post on the board. So, 10 people on the PureSim board does not make a majority...

Post #: 7
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/11/2007 3:10:56 AM   
puresimmer

Just to be clear, it's not that I don't value the feedback here (take a look at how much I added to PS 2007 after release for an example). I'm just saying, at this point I have to triage each and every suggestion against one another and then determine what would have the broadest appeal.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 8
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/11/2007 3:57:16 AM   
DonBraswell

Another vote for expanded PbP. From a member of the vocal minority.
Don

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 9
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/11/2007 5:08:49 AM   
PadresFan104

I know Shaun, just feeling a bit sarcastic today. Still, when my comments get lumped into "vocal minority" status, it makes me not want to post any other suggestions. What's the point, you know?

And what other method do you have to measure what will have the broadest appeal if not these forums? What about the poll idea?

(in reply to DonBraswell)
Post #: 10
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/11/2007 5:15:43 AM   
baseballfan99

I personally think that a lot of people would like the expanded pbp. I would be curious how people would respond in a poll or survey. Shaun makes a good point that alot of people don't bother posting their comments or suggestions. I personally wish Shaun would really consider this point, but the game is Shaun's and it doesn't appear that he really would want to add this suggestion.

Post #: 11
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/11/2007 5:24:14 AM   
robpost3

I would love more pbp! Thats really the weakest spot I see.

< Message edited by robpost3 -- 1/11/2007 5:35:56 AM >

The Yankee Motto:
Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make do,
Or do without.
"God Help us, and God, come yourself.
Don't send Jesus, this is no place for children."

Post #: 12
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/11/2007 5:26:20 AM   
PadresFan104

Playing Devils Advocate against myself, I also realize that first and foremost, this is a Baseball Management/Ownership Sim first, and a game by game Sim second. If Shaun were to focus soley on the aspects of the game that make it more challenging from a financial/roster management aspect, I would be happy too, as I think the game is a bit too easy right now without any self-imposed "house rules."

Post #: 13
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/11/2007 5:54:04 PM   
Edward

along the lines of Padresfan's sacarasm..has anyone realized when you go to a MLB game in person there is ZERO pbp. You watch ball flights & see results.   I manage a lot & I don't have any need for more detailed PBP.
I can see adding a few more colorful lines but I like it the way it is. I much rather see improved ball flights & things of that nature.

Perhaps, maybe Sullivan can add an edit feature to the PBP for those who want it.

Post #: 14
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/11/2007 11:22:59 PM   
VanScoy

Just to make sure another voice is heard, I would like to say that PBP is what made me fork over all that money for Diamond-Mind. It really is in a league by itself. If they had a real computer GM, I would never look back. I would love more detailed PBP for us play-out-every-game-guys

(in reply to Edward)
Post #: 15
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/12/2007 1:04:45 AM   
PadresFan104

Yeah... baseball is one of those sports where you see something new just about every time you go the ballpark. I have many of those "just when you thought you'd seen it all" moments every baseball season. Of course, the end result of the play is still a balk, walk, hit, error or out - but it's the moments from when the pitcher takes the rubber until the play is over that make the game interesting and keep me watching.

In reply to Edward - the level of animation in the game as it stands now is simply an attractive way to get us from point a) the batter/pitcher confrontation to b) the result (balk/walk/hit/error/out). It's nowhere near the level required to replicate what happens in real life, and so we need PbP to help paint the picture.

Man, I keep going back and forth on this one. For the record, I'd be willing to put my money (time) where my mouth is and help develop the needed strings or text files....

(in reply to VanScoy)
Post #: 16
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/12/2007 1:53:24 AM   
dneely

I have been around here a LOOONNNGGGG time and I have mentioned improving and expanding the PBP often! I don't want to disagree with Shaun but it is my belief that way more fans want more from the PBP than he realizes. I think the idea of a poll on new features Shaun is considering is a great idea, Let the fans speak and if Shaun sees the desire for this feature then perhaps he will be willing to add it. I would think, from a developers standpoint, that a poll as discussed would be of value in helping Shaun make some decisions. Just my opinion! Heck I have pounded on adding HTH online play which I feel would be a crowning achievement and boost sales tremendously.

In terms of features that make a game special the very sterile DMB game is still #1. The PBP makes you feel like you are in the ball park and the ability to manage your team against a live opponent is very addictive.

DNeely

PureSim Vet

Post #: 17
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/12/2007 9:47:51 PM   
URett

I'm with Shaun on this one. In my opinion there are many puresimmers who sim all/most of there games and would not benefit from any expanded pbp. I would prefer Shaun to concentrate on improvements that everyone benefits from.

(in reply to dneely)
Post #: 18
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/13/2007 12:56:23 AM   
kentcol

Definitely want expanded PBP. It would add a lot to the "charm" of the game. Baseball is a descrptive game. You want to feel like you're really there and PBP helps with the immersion.

(in reply to URett)
Post #: 19
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/13/2007 1:56:33 AM   
rpommier

I don't care about PBP, I never look at it much.  Reading PBP just slows the game down for me.  I glance at it some but making it more verbose would be a waste of time.  It would be good if it could be made editable for those that care about it, but for me its nice but not necessary.

Rod

(in reply to kentcol)
Post #: 20
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/13/2007 5:07:59 PM   
cdvalenta

One more vote here for expanded PBP!!!

(in reply to rpommier)
Post #: 21
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/13/2007 6:49:03 PM   
Fanshawe40

I play through the games, and I'd definitely be in favor of a revised pbp.

By "revised," I mean that there doesn't necessarily have to be *more* pbp, but a more varied pbp would be great.

(in reply to cdvalenta)
Post #: 22
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/13/2007 7:56:20 PM   
Edward

quote:

ORIGINAL: dneely

Heck I have pounded on adding HTH online play which I feel would be a crowning achievement and boost sales tremendously.

Here! Here!

(in reply to dneely)
Post #: 23
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/14/2007 5:36:46 PM   
lynchjm24

I think the difficult thing is that almost all the major feature additions from here are for the 'minority'.

Except improving the AI - I think that is something we can all agree on :).

(in reply to Edward)
Post #: 24
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/14/2007 7:31:09 PM   
jearly

Another plug for more PBP, either enhancing what we have or simply adding more. I would love having an option to customize PBP. I manage most of (90%) my games and feel the PBP gets kind of stagnant after awhile. Regardless thou I Love this game for all of its other features and Shauns commitment to its growth.

(in reply to lynchjm24)
Post #: 25
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/14/2007 9:04:34 PM   
VanScoy

LOL!! Have we finally reached the OOTP plateau where you alienate half the fans trying to please the other half?????

(in reply to jearly)
Post #: 26
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/14/2007 10:16:27 PM   
lynchjm24

I don't think that more PBP would alienate the simmers. I'm a simmer and if improved PBP makes the game more commerically successful, then go for it. Improved PBP doesn't make the game worse from the simmer's point of view, unlike many of the OOTP 'upgrades' which took away good features.

(in reply to VanScoy)
Post #: 27
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/17/2007 2:55:19 PM   
JimboJ

The simple solution is to add expanded play by play with a toggle switch whether you want to use it or not.

The question is, is Shaun going to listen to his customers and add it, or not bother because he doesn't like to read play by play?

(in reply to lynchjm24)
Post #: 28
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/17/2007 3:24:17 PM   
tbear2b

I'd really rather have more options, improved AI, gameplay, etc. before play-by-play is added. I played a bunch of OOTP 6/6.5 and I could not stand playing out the games because of the play-by-play...it was just too much and it was still not that interesting after maybe five or six games. Play-by-play gets old when you watch live games on TV because the announcers can only say so many things even when they are real human beings with the ability to improvise. If it's a computer game, there are even more definite limits.
I do understand there are some people who really want play-by-play, but since adding that would take up a decent portion of Shaun's time, I woudl rather see it as an add-in where players can create their own. I'd rather see other gameplay options and improved AI before play-by-play.
Trust me, we all haven't bought PureSim for the play-by-play, so try to think about the reasons you did buy it. For me, play-by-play is not even near the most important.

(in reply to JimboJ)
Post #: 29
RE: Question for Shaun re future of pbp - 1/17/2007 5:16:02 PM   
jeremy7227

tbear2b - That is the best articulated point in the thread to date. And I am not just saying that because I agree with you 100%.

(in reply to tbear2b)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Question for Shaun re future of pbp Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI