Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Time?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Time? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Time? - 8/10/2000 6:09:00 PM   
WW2'er

Ok, I found the following update on Fabio's site and wanted to bring it up for discussion before 3.0 comes out. Please read and then see follow-up thought below. This is one feature planned for 3.0 in conjunction with vehicle breakdowns/immobilization.: "6. Immobilized vehicles will now attempt to repair the damage each turn. In order to make the attempt, the crew must be in the vehicle and not buttoned up or have any suppression. Since immobilization damage can be as simple as a loose spark plug wire or as complex and time consuming as replacing tracks, which can take hours, repair times will vary. Usually, however, it will take an average of 20 turns for an experienced crew to affect repairs. The player will be informed when repairs are completed. Since the repairing unit must be at zero suppression, this will allow even a single machine gun or infantry squad to keep repairs from taking place by firing every turn at the vehicle and pinning the crew inside." Let me first say that I like the idea of the new vehicle breakdown rules and REALLY like that it will be able to be toggled on or off. However, my question would be, is an AVERAGE 20 turn repair time by an experienced crew too long considering the length of most scenarios in SPWAW? While it is certainly a "realistic" time period for repairs, how many scenarios are long enough to have a vehicle breakdown on say, turn 5, then be repaired 20 turns later (20 turns of zero suppression)and still have time to get into position to have an effect on the outcome of the battle? My thought is, given the length of most scenarios/battles, wouldn't an average repair time of 10 to 15 turns be better in terms of "playability"? I'd be interested in other people's thoughts on this. Once again, thanks Matrix folks for working so hard to give us all these great new features! WW2'er

WW2'er

"That [state] which separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." — Thucydides, 'The Peloponnesian Wars'
Post #: 1
- 8/10/2000 8:33:00 PM   
Warhorse

Hello, I've had it take less time, but the 20+ is an average!! Fog of war, also guns breaking down are very cool too, had an enemy ATG breakdown at the worst time it could have..for the AI, I then was able to breakthru a previous bottleneck!! It's coming, please be patient a while longer!;-) ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 2
- 8/10/2000 9:00:00 PM   
Nikademus

an 'average' of 20 turns does not sound unreasonable. In the heat of battle, combined with the time scale of SP, i think one is gonna find the % chance of getting an immobilized vehicle going again is going to be slim to none. Just ask the German tankers at Kursk!

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 3
- 8/10/2000 9:12:00 PM   
Panther

I am not sure if this will be covered in the break down rules but could vehicles just stall. All that would take maybe is a turn or two to restart. This is somewhat of a brakdown but not as serious as one that needs to be addressed by the crew on the outside of the vehicle for hours at a time. All that would happen is that the movement for that turn will be lost and you might end up in a uncomfortable situation. Are engine fires also represented when pushing vehicles to their limits. This could effectively destroy a vehicle. (Panther comes to mind.) Panther.

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 4
- 8/10/2000 9:21:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

20 turns (ie 30 minutes to an hour or so) is an Average, you might get it fixed in 3 turns, or it might never get fixed the whole game. You just don't know. We are not going to get into "troubleshooting reports" and ETR's (estimated time to repair). IF it breaks down, you get it back when its fixed :-) We hem and haw a lot about adding some of these things becasue once you "open the door" its a slippery slope to more and more...

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 5
- 8/10/2000 10:38:00 PM   
WW2'er

quote:

We are not going to get into "troubleshooting reports" and ETR's (estimated time to repair). IF it breaks down, you get it back when its fixed :-) [/B]
What, you mean your not going to tell us which screw is loose? Seriously, I'm not wanting to start on the "slippery slope" of neverending features. I'm just hoping that the "average" breakdown of a vehicle would be able to be fixed in enough time for that vehicle to be of some functional use to accomplish the scenario objectives. I'm a little concerned that an average of 20 turns won't allow me to do that. But if that's the way it is...I'll live and won't complain! I promise. WW2'er

WW2'er

"That [state] which separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." — Thucydides, 'The Peloponnesian Wars'

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 6
- 8/10/2000 11:36:00 PM   
Warhorse

The breakdown does not happen very often anyhow, you just want to watch running trucks, or anything for that matter, full throttle, every turn, that's asking for it!;-) ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 7
- 8/11/2000 12:22:00 AM   
Tombstone

I think 20+ turns is just about right. That way, for the most part units that break down are down for the count. (the way it should be.) But since Matrix is so nice, it seems that they're making a counterbalance to the break downs... where some will come back way later... Tomo

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 8
- 8/11/2000 12:57:00 AM   
David

<> Hehe, Paul sounds like an old maintenance warrent I used to know. He told me one day. "Captain, I know its broke. You get it back when its fixed" What else can you say.

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 9
- 8/11/2000 1:44:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

LOL - And if you pressed that ole' Warrant, I bet he would always multiply his best guess by three just to make sure ...That's what I would always tell the XO on my ship, then when it only took twice as long as I thought I still looked good

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 10
- 8/15/2000 2:19:00 AM   
troopie

For infantry weapon breakdowns it shouldn't be more than a turn or two. I could clear an R-1, Mauser, or Enfield jam in two minutes, and a Vickers jam in five. The old Vickers Citforce used jammed a lot. I don't know about a Garand or a tommy but it shouldn't take more. troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 11
- 8/15/2000 11:29:00 AM   
RobertMc

Questions about the breakdowns and fast vehicle movement. This is something I wish had been in SP for a long time, but... Will this also affect the AI's units? And if the AI pushes its vehicles to the max every turn, won't the AI's units break down more than a human player's? Has the AI been "corrected" in regards to driving its tanks at max speed every turn? Just asking.

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 12
- 8/15/2000 1:42:00 PM   
Armand

When a tank stops without the crew's willing, it remains in this state for quite a long time... especially (I guess) in the case of damage caused by enemy fire. Anyway, the crew is - most of the time - unable to perform the repair itself, because of the lack of tools, for instance a crane to extract the motor ! In the case of a cut track, it takes at least and in the best conditions (not under enemy fire especially) 15 minutes to fasten it again. And this is for modern tanks, I never worked on a Sherman or Tiger's tracks ! That is why I think that 20 turns are quite reasonable to simulate damage repaired by the crew, even if it seems too long in the game's scale. Armand (a former tank platoon leader)

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 13
- 8/15/2000 7:19:00 PM   
Major Destruction

Getting an AFV back into the action after it has been immobilised by terrain or poor driving can be very satisfying. But watch out for that opponent's AFV that you by-passed and did not spike. When the crew does get it going again you will find an unwanted visitor behind your lines!

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 14
- 8/16/2000 6:55:00 AM   
Dave R

As an ex tanker myself, it's myexperience that in real life fast break down recovery just doesn't happen, especially in a combat situation. Breakdowns are caused by either; Combat Terrain Or something just plain breaks. If the breakdown is through combat, the crew sure as hell ain't going to be getting out to fix it, or to even have a look at what's been bust. If they do get out, it will be to put as much distence between themselves and their dead tank before it draws more incoming. A terrain breakdown is usually never easy to self recover from, you've ether bogged down, or worse thrown a track. It means a lot of back breaking work. I know. I've had to do it! Even when something just plain breaks, you've got to find the problem, usually have to drop some of your armour plates to get to the effected part, before you can even think of 'fixing it' I just feel that self recovery from any breakdown is well outside the time frame of the game. But in saying all that how about coding in some routines for ARVE's to start doing their job, getting dead tanks going again, fast! I've noticed that most OB's Have ARVE's listed, but they don't actually do anything, other then act like an engineering /mine clearence tank which they ain't.

In times of war we see the worst that man has to offer. But we also see the best that man has to offer.

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 15
- 8/16/2000 10:12:00 AM   
Mike Wood

Hello... I programmed the feature and have some insight into the intent of the rule. Vehicle breakdowns represent everything from a stalled engine to a broken drive shaft. In the case of the former, one or two turns are all that's needed to fix it. In the case of the latter, a significantly longer period is needed. Weapon breakdowns represent everything from a jammed round in the cannon to a badly cracked block. Once again, the time to repair can range from one turn to not at all, during the battle. We chose to abstract break downs for weapons and vehicles, as detailing a lengthy roster of possible causes and remedies would have taken too long and introduced bugs.
quote:

Originally posted by Dave R: As an ex tanker myself, it's my experience that in real life fast break down recovery just doesn't happen, especially in a combat situation...
This is why the variance is so great. The average vehicle break down will take a skilled crew an average of 20 turns to fix. In any specific case, the time will vary. So, a breakdown might be fixed by a rookie crew in one turn or it may take an elite crew 40 turns to affect a repair, depending on the nature of the breakdown. So far, in testing, the players seem to like the rule. However, there is a button to turn it off, if it offends. Hope You Enjoy... Michael Wood Lead Programmer, Matrix Games

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Time? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI