Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Army of the Potomac strategy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Army of the Potomac strategy Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Army of the Potomac strategy - 1/23/2007 8:21:02 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris0827
I have never seen anyone suggest that you remove the balanced scenario.

I wasn't implying that you did, or anyone else has. My point was that if the balanced scenario was a mistake, we would remove it, and we're not removing it, hence it's not a mistake.

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 31
RE: Army of the Potomac strategy - 1/23/2007 8:23:59 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Good post Gil.... Both are quite possible with this game and its engine. One could, if they had the knowledge or just an idea of what they wanted, easily modify most if not all that is needed with out a new Scenario.

I am glad your adding one.

Well, of course, not everyone knows how to mod. But our thinking is that even the "historical" scenario will not appeal equally to all, so a lot of you will still end up modding it, but the baseline you need to mod is closer to what you want.

Again, I should warn people that since FOF was not designed to be an ACW simulation the "historical" scenario might not be fun to play. But let's see how it goes...

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 32
RE: Army of the Potomac strategy - 1/23/2007 9:19:24 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris0827
Much had been done in the three months since his arrival,five days after the Bull Run disaster. The army of 50,000 which he then found waiting for him- "a mere collection of regiments cowering on the banks of the Potomac, " he called it - had grown to 168,000 well-trained, spirited men, superbly equipped and worshipful of the commander who had accomplished their transformation.

I thought I should add a couple of points to this discussion. If Foote's quote is to be the yardstick, then I'll compare it to FoF as it stands right now in testing:

50k men to 168k men on the Potomac in three months? Yes, can be done, even with the release version if you muster aggressively.

Superbly equipped? Compared to the army as it was when it retreated from Bull Run? Sure. In general can be done (but keep in mind what that really meant historically at this time period). When the army retreated, it lost some weapons, lost some supplies, etc. In three months, you can re-equip all brigades with non-improvised weapons and make sure their supply is at maximum levels.

Well-trained, spirited men? Certainly better organized and spirited than they were after retreating from First Bull Run. Again, note that the comparison is to a post-defeat army. There seems to be a perception that "quality" is the only way to measure this. I have to assume people are forgetting Disposition, which is an extremely important value in the game model. Disposition is the better measure of morale, whereas Quailty is more a measure of training and skill. Through increasing supply priority and keeping it up for three months and putting a general like McClellan with Excellent Leadership in charge, you can change a post-Bull Run Low Disposition army to at least Normal and probably Inspired Disposition. This reflects the change. By the time McClellan was done training them, I think it's fair to say they were somehwat Inspired, but they still hadn't seen much combat. Ball's Bluff shows what happened when he tried to use them too early.

With that said, the one thing that won't change by keeping an army sitting on its butt is unit quality. I think it would be a reasonable suggestion to allow some small incremental training boost, up to a certain cap, but all the other pieces are in place and pretty much were from release. I think Foote's yardstick has been met.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 33
RE: Army of the Potomac strategy - 1/23/2007 10:12:51 PM   
ABridgeTooFar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

took a lot of talking, but that has been worked on, the AI will only Charge if it has a rear flank or rear attack open, it will not charge the frontal hexes

(don't turn your back on the AI, you can almost see it smile when it sees you turn)

(Loud applause from the peanut gallery)

An odd thing happened last night in a detailed battle against my AOP. The battle was fought in Fredericksburg against the ANV. I was attacking and the ANV had the usual surprise attack. They did not try a frontal attack. They instead went around my left flank (not the whole force just a corps) completely undetected and starting to attack my partially arrived Corps that was reinforcing from Cumberland. Needless to say I was totally surprised and hats off to the AI for trying something new.

The only crappy thing is that while my front line was stationary since I was trying to recover units from being disordered (from the surprise attack), my peaceful and safe front line that was full of green hexes quickly turned to yellow and red. I am still in the middle of the battle and it is too soon to tell if Lee's gamble will work out.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 34
RE: Army of the Potomac strategy - 1/23/2007 10:32:09 PM   
Twotribes

I have to disagree with several of the assertions here. Due to random "disease" hits one can suddenly have the entire army back to less than normal disposition, this being true even if one spent every dime and used every slot avaialble to build Hospitals near where you have placed your armies. One can lessen the blow by spreading those 150k men into 5 or 6 provinces, but then you no longer have an efficient army for defense. One can also to an extent lessen the blow by placeing each army container ( in the Nov scenario there are 3 in the east, in the summer version, as I recall, there is maybe one?)in the 3 Provinces , Potomic River, Annapolis and Cumberland. This will allow at least 2 armies to aid each other if any one is attacked. But due to the randomness and ineffectiveness of Hospitals you run the real ris of disease decimating the disposition of all 3 Armies anyway.

Disposition is not going to help, no matter the level when 1/3 of the 150k troops are so far under 2 as to be useless another 3rd is around 2 and maybe 1/3 is above 2. And no means to change that except to attack with them and watch them get slaughtered. I will assume that the replacements come in higher than 1.2, but have no way to know, I havent seen a blurb ( or dont remember one) on what level replacements are, except they are below 4 since replacements LOWERS training.

I have in my current game no province less than 61 in hospital coverage and yet I have had several of those 3 armies get hit with disease, granted they didnt lose a LARGE number of men, but disposition was totally destroyed, dropping one or 2 levels on every brigade in the army.

Turning disease off is an option, but not one I like to do, so I suffer through the losses. And the North is FORCED to go on the offense, they cant win any other way. There is NO hospital coverage at ALL in provinces held by the enemy or that have no rail lines in them. Both type will be present on any offense you mount. If the province has a city or forts garrisoned you can count on risking disease hits for a minimum of 2 turns and usually a lot longer. I am in 1864 and have had my Georgia Army hit 3 out of 5 turns with disease, the other 2 also had disease against an army I had in Alabama, ending any chance at a siege.

I suggest the disease thing is over done or needs some means to extend beyond rail lines and add some help in enemy provinces. You cant convince me that every time the Union Army went on an offensive they lost the morale and the number of troops that occur routinely in the game.

One can NOT arm the 50 or more brigades in the east and arm the ones in the west in 3 months, the amount of arms recieved in that time simply wont do it, for one thing the limits on the amount of a certain weapon one can have before it starts costing even more to buy them is way to LOW.

There is not enough resources to build enough academies, mansions and hospitals in 3 months to even remotely approximate the situation in November 1861 and this completely impossible if one STARTS that scenario. One needs to build more buildings to produce more weapons, one must build several research facilities if they dont intend to be the backward sister copared to the free stuff the CSA gets, one must have more mines and more horse farms if they have any intention of equiping brigades with these enhancements that are spoken so highly of. I would suggest NONE of this is possible in 3 months, the North simply hasnt the given economy to do it.

And if you are foolish enough to turn on upkeep, forget it, you might as well just surrender. I prefer random general stats, though I no longer hide them, since it appears they NEVER become known, ever.

And dont make the mistake of attacking with the Eastern Army against any Southern one any where as much as half or more your strength, chances are you lose, meaning the South gains one NAtional Will, the North loses 2 and there is usually a 12 point change on battle score as well, plus 6 for winner, minus 6 for loser. The Army of the Potamoc only need lose 4 battles to see the South win the war.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 35
RE: Army of the Potomac strategy - 1/23/2007 10:37:18 PM   
chris0827

I believe Erik may have ben talking about the version of the game they are testing now not the original release.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 36
RE: Army of the Potomac strategy - 1/23/2007 10:39:38 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: ABridgeTooFar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

took a lot of talking, but that has been worked on, the AI will only Charge if it has a rear flank or rear attack open, it will not charge the frontal hexes

(don't turn your back on the AI, you can almost see it smile when it sees you turn)

(Loud applause from the peanut gallery)

An odd thing happened last night in a detailed battle against my AOP. The battle was fought in Fredericksburg against the ANV. I was attacking and the ANV had the usual surprise attack. They did not try a frontal attack. They instead went around my left flank (not the whole force just a corps) completely undetected and starting to attack my partially arrived Corps that was reinforcing from Cumberland. Needless to say I was totally surprised and hats off to the AI for trying something new.

The only crappy thing is that while my front line was stationary since I was trying to recover units from being disordered (from the surprise attack), my peaceful and safe front line that was full of green hexes quickly turned to yellow and red. I am still in the middle of the battle and it is too soon to tell if Lee's gamble will work out.

we got a lot of talking going on about this, that is the enemy moving around your flank is changeing the zones on the map, the center of the mass of the enemy has changed what is what, and....

but it being looked at

(in reply to ABridgeTooFar)
Post #: 37
RE: Army of the Potomac strategy - 1/24/2007 12:06:08 AM   
General Quarters

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

... if the balanced scenario was a mistake, we would remove it, and we're not removing it, hence it's not a mistake.

I'm an old logic prof, and it is beautiful to behold a classic modus tollens argument: if P, then Q; not-Q, therefore not-P.

In icy weather, my car slid off the road, knocked down a city sign, and ended up in the creek. The policeman gave me a ticket for reckless driving. When I prostested that I had not been driving recklessly, he gave me the following argument: "If you weren't driving recklessly, you would not be in the ditch. You are in the ditch, ergo ...." I paid the ticket.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 38
RE: Army of the Potomac strategy - 1/24/2007 12:21:54 AM   
Erik Rutins

Twotribes,

Chris is correct in that I was mainly discussing the next version, but most of it also applies to the release version.

quote:

Due to random "disease" hits one can suddenly have the entire army back to less than normal disposition

I haven't had this happen even in the original version. Now, your entire army may get hit by disease, but only some of the brigades generally lose disposition, not all of them. If you are already at an Inspired level, that will at most bump some of your units down to Normal disposition, as disease usually only reduces a unit one disposition level per turn.

quote:

this being true even if one spent every dime and used every slot avaialble to build Hospitals near where you have placed your armies.

Keep in mind that only hospitals in the same province as your army actually modify disease. Hospital effects from other nearby provinces (i.e. coverage) will only help regain lost disposition, not reduce actual losses. Also, in the release version disease has a wide range. The effect of hospitals is not random, but disease can vary from a minor hit to a serious epidemic depending on a die roll. The new disease rules address this whole issue completely as far as I can tell, even allowing you to spend some money on mobile field hospitals that accompany your army by purchasing medical attributes.

quote:

but then you no longer have an efficient army for defense.

I haven't had too much trouble with this, thanks to the ability to call in reinforcements, as you noted. You have to accept that disease will cause damage, but even in the original rules it rarely wrecked an army or a plan in my experience. In the new rules it's an extremely manageable factor, enough that I sometimes wish it were stronger.

quote:

But due to the randomness and ineffectiveness of Hospitals you run the real risk of disease decimating the disposition of all 3 Armies anyway.

Disease only strikes one province per turn. Given good hospital coverage and supply, you'll recover disposition quickly, so I don't see how all three armies will be of low disposition at any point in time. In any case, the whole disease issue is really non-existent in the upcoming update, but still IMHO manageable in the release version.

quote:

Disposition is not going to help, no matter the level when 1/3 of the 150k troops are so far under 2 as to be useless another 3rd is around 2 and maybe 1/3 is above 2.

That's really not true at all. Disposition makes a big difference, regardless of troop quality.

Also, if you are mustering and building, then all your reinforcement troops will generally be either 2.00+ Quality or 4.00+ Quality, depending on national will and combination of mustering and producing. The CSA is in much the same boat. Most of your troops will be no more than 1 quality level worse than the CSA troops, so Disposition and Supply end up being huge factors in how a battle goes (ESPECIALLY a quick battle).

quote:

except they are below 4 since replacements LOWERS training.

Not by much, unless you have a brigade suffer huge losses.

quote:

I have in my current game no province less than 61 in hospital coverage and yet I have had several of those 3 armies get hit with disease, granted they didnt lose a LARGE number of men, but disposition was totally destroyed, dropping one or 2 levels on every brigade in the army.

61? Wow. Of course, as noted above, that only affects disposition recovery, not losses or initial disposition loss. Only hospitals in-province affect actual loss amounts. Also, again, disease will really be a non-issue for you in the next update and since we've already posted those details, please be patient.

quote:

And the North is FORCED to go on the offense, they cant win any other way.

The north can choose where to go on the offensive. Choosing the East is usually a bad idea. The CSA does not have enough strength to defend everywhere or to continue to replace losses. Strike where they are weakest, defend elsewhere and you'll play to the North's strengths early on. Later on, you can switch to a general attack posture everywhere.

quote:

I suggest the disease thing is over done or needs some means to extend beyond rail lines and add some help in enemy provinces. You cant convince me that every time the Union Army went on an offensive they lost the morale and the number of troops that occur routinely in the game.

See my many comments above about managing disease and see my post on the next update for disease changes.

quote:

One can NOT arm the 50 or more brigades in the east and arm the ones in the west in 3 months, the amount of arms recieved in that time simply wont do it, for one thing the limits on the amount of a certain weapon one can have before it starts costing even more to buy them is way to LOW.

One absolutely can, I've done it, but it all depends on which game settings you choose. I was playing with Union Power at +2 or +3 and Richer Economy on and had no problem. A lot comes down to what you arm them with. Muskets are good enough for me for most of the first year and that's my goal. Historically, many troops did end up with Muskets and only got rifles later. Have you tried the richer economy and + to Union power setting, combined with focusing on Muskets and only upgrading to better weapons after everyone is at least at Muskets?

You only hit the support limit generally if you try for the more expensive weapons and don't research new ones. I have had no problem equipping my entire army between Muskets, Minie Rifles and Springfields. Once I research Improved Springfields and other weapons that adds more room. Even with that, it's not like a Musket or a Minie Rifle really gets that much more expensive once you're over the 75 or 100 brigade support limit for those. Also, focusing on the cheaper weapons generally helps your economy in other ways, as you are paying no additional support costs.

quote:

There is not enough resources to build enough academies, mansions and hospitals in 3 months to even remotely approximate the situation in November 1861 and this completely impossible if one STARTS that scenario. One needs to build more buildings to produce more weapons, one must build several research facilities if they dont intend to be the backward sister copared to the free stuff the CSA gets, one must have more mines and more horse farms if they have any intention of equiping brigades with these enhancements that are spoken so highly of. I would suggest NONE of this is possible in 3 months, the North simply hasnt the given economy to do it.

November, 1861 is meant to be the "balanced" scenario and I didn't comment on anything relating to buildings. However, in terms of what was done historically with the AoP, I can replicate it with historical settings. Note that I generally play the July, 1861 scenario so that's what my comments were focused on and also on using the historical settings. If you want the historical results, you need to adjust the settings to shift the balance economically more towards the North, ESPECIALLY for the "balanced" November scenario.

quote:

And if you are foolish enough to turn on upkeep, forget it, you might as well just surrender. I prefer random general stats, though I no longer hide them, since it appears they NEVER become known, ever.

With the settings I posted, I had no problems doing this and keeping upkeep on.

Regarding the hidden settings, we found that bug. It only was a problem if you never played detailed battles. Quick battles and instant battles were not revealing the hidden stats, but detailed battles were. Fixed for the next update as well.

quote:

And dont make the mistake of attacking with the Eastern Army against any Southern one any where as much as half or more your strength, chances are you lose, meaning the South gains one NAtional Will, the North loses 2 and there is usually a 12 point change on battle score as well, plus 6 for winner, minus 6 for loser. The Army of the Potamoc only need lose 4 battles to see the South win the war.

That would be a huge battle, usually it's more like +/- 3 and I really don't think that attacking in the November scenario, in the East, is a good idea. If you do it anyway, it will hurt.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 39
RE: Army of the Potomac strategy - 1/24/2007 2:14:16 AM   
General Quarters

On the question of disease, I was one of those who argued that, if disease had been a very big factor before a battle, historians would have mentioned it, and I did not recall any major battle where historians or the generals they quoted said "we lost 24 percent of our force" in the two weeks before the battle.

I have been re-reading Shelby Foote and, to be fair, I do notice that, from time to time, disease is mentioned. Someone already posted about dysentary in Corinth as Halleck approached. I now read that Halleck himself wired the war department explaining his dispersal of troops after Corinth as in part due to a concern to avoid disease as the summer months approached. And Foote talks about Lee pulling his army back from the malarial swamps in front of McClellan's army.

I have still doubted whether there were cases where one army suffered 24 percentage point more illnesses than the other. But one case I have come to is dramatic. In 1862, before Grant was doing much against Vicksburg, Breckinridge was sent to Baton Rouge to oust the "invaders." I don't have the numbers in front of me, but he had only a few thousand men to start with and lost thousands to illness, about half his force. I don't know if they actually died, but his army was down to a fraction of its former self.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 40
RE: Army of the Potomac strategy - 1/24/2007 3:22:53 AM   
Twotribes

The fight occurred in 1864 and included ALL the 3 armies with cavalry, artillery and several corps of 4 and a good number of 3 brigades. A lot of the brigades were above 3000 in strength as well as I had bought the two upgrades long before the Spring of 64 ( well the first one, didnt get the second until late 63)

Even with ALL the hospital coverage very few zealous dispositions occur in the east and usually are dropped by an outbreak or two.

I did of course use Quick battle, I prefer it in REALLY large battles ( though I wont make that mistake again) The problem being that as the attacker I didnt even get most of my brigades, and almost none of my artillery or cavalry were present in what was allowed. The Southern army was smaller then me and because ( I guess) the allowed brigades in a quick battle he had more brigades then I did even though I significantly out numbered him. Well significant in numbers of brigades, I think the armies were around 300 plus k for the union and around 220 to 250k for the south.

Because of the intial number of additional brigades the defender ( it seems) gets it was never very close. At the end I had maybe 4 brigades in the fight and he had 8 to 10. Also he rallied faster and more brigades then I did. There were a couple points were I was ahead in brigade count ( haveing 10 to 12 to his 8 to 10) but he always rallied several more brigades then I did.

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 41
RE: Army of the Potomac strategy - 1/24/2007 5:32:25 AM   
General Quarters

quote:

The problem being that as the attacker I didnt even get most of my brigades, and almost none of my artillery or cavalry were present in what was allowed. The Southern army was smaller then me and because ( I guess) the allowed brigades in a quick battle he had more brigades then I did even though I significantly out numbered him. Well significant in numbers of brigades, I think the armies were around 300 plus k for the union and around 220 to 250k for the south.

Does this mean that, for large battles, since there are a limited number of QB squares, the larger army may not actually outnumber the smaller one in QB?

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 42
RE: Army of the Potomac strategy - 1/24/2007 11:35:02 AM   
hotdog433

geez good to see that this post stayed on track you lot should just agree to disagree and remember it is a game that is meant to be enjoyed and it is made to entertain to a broad market not to the 10 or 15 people who post on the forum kicking and screamin that it is not what they want and it should play another way

i hope i have god on my side but i must have kentucky

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 43
RE: Army of the Potomac strategy - 1/24/2007 2:28:47 PM   
Mike Scholl

Got a question, HOTDOG. If the game is so perfect just the way it is, why aren't you offline playing it instead of on the forums sniping at the comments of others?

(in reply to hotdog433)
Post #: 44
RE: Army of the Potomac strategy - 1/24/2007 3:18:06 PM   
hotdog433

at what point did i say it was perfect no game out there is perfect someone is always not going to enjoy a certain aspect of the game

i hope i have god on my side but i must have kentucky

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 45
RE: Army of the Potomac strategy - 1/24/2007 4:38:34 PM   
Twotribes

I agree, BUT the point being made, would be the one about, since you like it, why are you sniping at people that provided reason for change. Reasonable and commen sense reasons, in my opinion. The game can be both balanced and it can be historical. And the designers have agreed to do just that. What exactly is the problem?

Why is it that those that want change and provided detailed reasoning why with hostorical information are "complainers" and are wasting everyone times, but those that attack the posts are just asking for us all to get along?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 46
RE: Army of the Potomac strategy - 1/24/2007 5:47:47 PM   
General Quarters

If you really want to know, Twotribes, it is the tone. I have participated in the forums of a number of history-based games. Players are always exchanging views about how the game represents or fails to represent some aspect of history. But they never say things such as 'it is fraudulent to call this game historical' and 'you don't know anything about history if you disagree with me,' both of which are near-quotes.

Good game developers, and the fans of their games, are always interested in factual corrections and hearing what other gamers would like to see in the game. Matrix and its gamers are certainly in this tradition.

At this forum, there has sometimes been a carping tone that makes the forum a less enjoyable place to be. If you would like examples, there are two just above, where the poster (maybe it was you) puts words in the other person's mouth -- "you think it's perfect" -- and suggests that "if you like the game, why are you at this forum" or words to that effect. The latter is clearly not a valid point -- liking a game is one reason for visiting its forum -- so it is not collegial and constructive to say it.

We should all bend over backward to make sure that our comments are helpful and to respect one another's differences. In making these comments, I am taking you at your word, that you really want to know why some of us are put off by some of the criticisms. It is not that they are criticisms, but the tone with which they are communicated.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Army of the Potomac strategy Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI