Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? - 1/14/2007 2:15:27 PM   
hueglin

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Did I mention AGE OF RIFLES?

But also add an operational level to the game so that a series of battles can be fought - and your losses in one battle carry over into the next - that way you need to think about economy of force - not just all or nothing.

On a related note, I think any tactical/operational level game needs to focus on leadership, morale, training, supply, and equipment (in that order). I'd love to see a game that allows you the flexibility that real commanders have to form provisional commands, change officers and detach elements. It should also model the different levels of command and the probability (based on the leader) that some of your orders will not be carried out fully or at all.

As to time period, the Ages of Rifles - 1800 to 1900 would be my first choice.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 31
RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? - 1/14/2007 6:12:29 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Seriously, now...

I would like to see a "Civilization" type game, done with a HUGE detailed map of the world (like 10 times bigger than Civ II), accurate graphics (not the animated cartoony type), and real military units with command, organization, and logistical support built in.

In other words, a world game that plays as easily as Civilization II, with colonization, economic development, cultural and scientific research, but with the military detail of TOAW or BII.

When I say "plays as easily as CIV II" I mean a technology tree that isn't as intimidating to manage as in HOI Doomsday and it's kin. A game that captures the sweep of world history without getting bogged down in the detail.

I love the concept of Europa Universalis, Victoria, HOI etc but, darn it, they are just not that much fun to play. A little too abstract, too many pop up windows, too much going on too fast... I don't know... I've been trying to get into Victoria Revolutions, but just keep bogging down. I want something realistic that feels more like a traditional wargame, but with that added level of strategic complexity.

That's why Civ II remains a game that can still hook me for hours on end even when I tire of it's successors. It just has the right "feel" and that's what I would like to see in a new game. One that focuses on real military tactics and not just flashy graphics and animated tanks and soldiers marching across the map.

You have hit the proverbial "nail on the head" for me with these comments.

I still play and mod civ II MORE than any other game. Here was a game that broke the mold for ease of play, for simplicity of design, for intuitive interface, for ease of modding, for ability to create any type of scenario, and for just sheer fun....

I don't think Matrix needs to always make wargames. It could also do games that have a "civ" or "strategy" feel about them, but which also takes in a wider concept of the world.

I always marvel at game designers who cannot make an intuitive game interface. All they need to do is play civ II for a few hours and they will know what needs to be done.

This game was streamlined; yet it was difficult to master - if you know what I mean.

I, too, would like to see changes made in a Civ II-type game, but without going to the Civ IV level of extreme.

The units could be represented by "chess-like" pieces that are similar to those found in MTW. Simple but elegant.

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 1/14/2007 6:32:12 PM >

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 32
RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? - 1/14/2007 9:15:37 PM   
elcidce

Have you tried to play the Squad Battles games? If so do they meet your requirements? I havent played the Vietnam versions but I like the ww2 ones I do have.

The Citadel
G Company
Class of 1991

(in reply to gunny)
Post #: 33
RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? - 1/15/2007 5:15:48 AM   
Rooster

30 Years War would be good.  There were some awesome generals in that period... and warfare was such an interesting mixture of the old and the new.

(in reply to elcidce)
Post #: 34
RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? - 1/15/2007 6:15:04 AM   
KG Erwin

Economics, politics, warfare? A game like this DOES exist -- "Medieval:Total War". The basic version has been modded to give it a better historical veneer. In play, though, it seems more like "Risk on Steroids". You build huge armies/fleets and capture provinces. Diplomacy and economics are all geared towards one goal -- dominating Europe, European Russia, North Africa and the Middle East. It's a World War fought between 1087 and 1453.

(in reply to gunny)
Post #: 35
RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? - 1/15/2007 9:31:14 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Economics, politics, warfare? A game like this DOES exist -- "Medieval:Total War".

In that case you can count at least Shogun: Total War, Rome: Total War, Lords of the Realms 3 and maybe Hearts of Iron serie.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 36
RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? - 1/15/2007 10:10:56 PM   
Hertston

Warfare, certainly.  Whether any of the TW games do more than play at politics, economics or diplomacy is a rather different question.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 37
RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? - 1/15/2007 10:16:03 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Economics, politics, warfare? A game like this DOES exist -- "Medieval:Total War".

In that case you can count at least Shogun: Total War, Rome: Total War, Lords of the Realms 3 and maybe Hearts of Iron serie.

Currently, I'm getting my "Roman Empire" game fix by playing the Fall of Rome Mod for the original MTW. Having a blast...

Although, I would like to see a strategic Roman Empire game.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 38
RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? - 1/15/2007 10:49:39 PM   
Capt. Harlock

As has been said many a time before: the Mediterranean Theater during WWII. A really good game should give the possibility of French units fighting on the Axis side, and Italians fighting on the Allied side. (A full campaign game would continue until the fall of Rome, or the seizure of the Suez canal.)

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 39
RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? - 1/16/2007 2:23:27 AM   
EUBanana

A good WW3 nuclear war sim.  The only game out there that lets you have nuclear war is Civilisation!

I dunno how it would be done exactly, but it'd need a fairly solid political system and some sort of rules on escalation.  With conventional and nuclear strategies available, grand strategy style.  First strike, riding out attacks, etc, all that stuff I read about in Cold War era strategy books that never got used and probably never will.  And none of this "if the nukes start flying its game over.".  I wanna see the fallout zones and post-atomic deserts and a readout on how many millions died and if I "won" or not!

I suppose it'd look a bit like Hearts of Iron but more detailed and maybe not real time?

...am I ghoulish?

"Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"

(in reply to gunny)
Post #: 40
RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? - 1/16/2007 4:37:28 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

A good WW3 nuclear war sim.  The only game out there that lets you have nuclear war is Civilisation!

Try Defcon

Not exactly a 'sim', maybe, but great fun.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 1/16/2007 4:48:47 AM >

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 41
RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? - 1/17/2007 3:27:30 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

I dunno how it would be done exactly, but it'd need a fairly solid political system and some sort of rules on escalation.  With conventional and nuclear strategies available, grand strategy style.  First strike, riding out attacks, etc, all that stuff I read about in Cold War era strategy books that never got used and probably never will.  And none of this "if the nukes start flying its game over.".  I wanna see the fallout zones and post-atomic deserts and a readout on how many millions died and if I "won" or not!

I suppose it'd look a bit like Hearts of Iron but more detailed and maybe not real time?

...am I ghoulish?

"Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"

You really miss Maggie don't you...

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 42
RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? - 1/17/2007 9:36:40 PM   
pad152

Remakes - Act Stations (updated with 3D graphics)
- Great Naval Battles update with new 3D graphics and new campaigns.

Something New

- A modern Naval game (mix Harpoon III and UV/Witp) tactical naval combat with UV/Witp campaign (think North Alantic 86 meets Harpoon), forget the 3D graphics.

- UV/WITP WWII Med game (I'm getting tired of the pacific!).

(in reply to gunny)
Post #: 43
RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? - 1/17/2007 11:53:47 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronDuke

You really miss Maggie don't you...

You never let an opportunity for a quip pass.

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 44
RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? - 1/17/2007 11:55:34 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

A good WW3 nuclear war sim. The only game out there that lets you have nuclear war is Civilisation!

Try Defcon

Not exactly a 'sim', maybe, but great fun.

This looks exactly like what I want. Even with the Wargames-esque graphics!

Cheers!

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 45
RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? - 1/18/2007 1:52:39 AM   
morvwilson

Here's an idea, how about redoing my monicer?

Ogre & GEV

Sometimes I don't have hours to sit at my computer but only 10 - 15 min. I would much rather play Ogre than Solitare!

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 46
RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? - 1/18/2007 12:45:59 PM   
undercovergeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

- UV/WITP WWII Med game (I'm getting tired of the pacific!).

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1303373

keep your fingers crossed

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 47
RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? - 1/25/2007 7:24:14 PM   
BailChannis

I'd like to see an RTS-style game set in Ireland from about 1500 to about 1600 - covering battles in the style of Knockdoe to the Nine Years War. Galloglass and calivers, that sort of stuff. A few guns but javelins and axes still having a role on the field.

I don't think it's ever been done before.

< Message edited by BailChannis -- 1/25/2007 7:38:13 PM >

(in reply to undercovergeek)
Post #: 48
RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? - 1/26/2007 6:05:32 AM   
bradfordkay

A WITP level game based on the wars in the Age of Reason ( 7 Years War, American Revolution, Napoleonic Wars). The same game would be able to have quite a few different scenarios depicting the first true world wars.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to BailChannis)
Post #: 49
RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? - 1/27/2007 4:52:12 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: BailChannis

I'd like to see an RTS-style game set in Ireland from about 1500 to about 1600

I think Lords of the Realms 3 has campaign about that... well, at least there is something about Ireland on medieval age. Too bad game don't compete with Medieval Total War.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to BailChannis)
Post #: 50
RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? - 1/28/2007 1:54:57 PM   
BailChannis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: BailChannis

I'd like to see an RTS-style game set in Ireland from about 1500 to about 1600

I think Lords of the Realms 3 has campaign about that... well, at least there is something about Ireland on medieval age. Too bad game don't compete with Medieval Total War.

There are alot of games that deal with the medieval era; and a few good ones that deal with the later colonial (18th & 19th century) but it's really difficult to find a good game that focusses on the 16th and 17th centuries. Ireland particularly interests me because it's so unique; irregular guerrilla warfare (with chainmail and axes ) in an era of cannons, pike formations, and muskets.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 51
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI